closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RSC surcharge for Calibre 30**

RSC surcharge for Calibre 30**

Just for interest/ info

My 14270 is at Kings Hill for service. As it is a classic Calibre, which means the Calibre number is lower than 31**, there is a roughly £300 surcharge.

My watch has calibre 3000, so costs extra. A 114270 is Calibre 3130, so normal pricing.

I was a bit shocked, as were Goldsmiths who sent it in, as we both thought anything post the acrylic era was at normal cost.

I will phone Kings Hill this week just to check, but I have a feeling this is the state of play

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I took my 1665 Great White in for a service late last year and they told me a surcharge would now be applied to older movements - by that I assumed the 1570 or older. Mine went back to Geneva for some reason.

I’ve emailed them, so we’ll see what I get back from Rolex themselves.

D

And that’s confirmed by Rolex in an email today. Sapphire crystal watches with older movements are £300 extra. That includes my 14270, and will also include watches such as the pre-M 14060.

Dave

They have to pay for their swanky buildings and swanky they are in abundance!

I remember when I got into watches about 15y ago, Rolex servicing was a bargain £250 or something. It seemed very cheap and they're more than making up for this now.

Craftsman
    The £250 rang a bell, I've dug out my receipt from Sept 2009 when I dropped my GMT-II into St James's Square for a service. Full service was £259.36 and they loaned me a Tudor for the duration too.

Watch was serviced, mark to the bezel was noted (it's still there today) and no demands to replace things that didn't need replacing. Ah, those were the days.

*gets his pipe and slippers*

So that’s, what, the best part of 50-60% markup for age, on a calibre and reference that was produced in non-trivial numbers to something like 2001?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    And that’s confirmed by Rolex in an email today. Sapphire crystal watches with older movements are £300 extra. That includes my 14270, and will also include watches such as the pre-M 14060.
    Gordon Bennett!! So thick end of £900?!

Hurt me again Master, make it hurt even more this time. Rolex is the dominatrix from point of purchase and throughout ownership. They’re literally laughing at you. They make you beg (in writing at some ADs) to buy a new one and if you have an older one they’ll take you from behind for a service (and no complimentary reach-around either). It’s madness people, utter madness.

Bummer is this new? Was going to send a 16710 in…. Looks like it’ll be going to an indie now.

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Bummer is this new? Was going to send a 16710 in…. Looks like it’ll be going to an indie now.

If it’s a 3185 it’s normal pricing

D

Master
    The following is part of a reply that I received recently from a Rolex approved indie -

‘Some time ago Rolex changed their policy on models with flat case sides (eg. Submariner, Explorer, GMT models) This was due to the introduction of an improved case finishing system – a lapping machine specifically designed for finishing the flat sides of these cases. This policy change coincided with a restriction of casing parts to all workshops that have not yet invested and trained on the new equipment.’

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that, sometime in the future, Rolex ensure that any Rolex watch (current, recent or vintage) HAS to be sent back to them to be properly serviced.

It’s not too unimaginable that in, say, 10 years time one might be expected to send in the severed little finger of ones right hand to verify ownership of the Rolex timepiece being returned to the mothership for service - which will of course be returned for re-attachment on payment. Those who may need a full complement of fingers on a day to day basis - those involved in manual labour for example - are clearly not worthy of the full Rolex service and ownership experience, so this will prevent a Rolex falling into the wrong hands. Probably.

Grand Master
    Rolex will no doubt justify the higher charges for the older watches on the basis that they’re likely to be in poorer condition, needing more parts and more time to get them right again. In some cases that will be true, but in many cases it won’t! One thing I’ve learned about older watches is never to assume anything about the condition of the movement, a watch may be 50 years old but the movement is in better condition than some 10 year old watches.

To me it makes more sense to charge for each job on its merits, if the watch turns out to be a basket case the bill is larger, with parts and labour costs show separately. That’s how the motor trade works, that’s how I work, but for some reason the big watch brands don’t see it that way.

I sympathise with those who've owned a Rolex for many years, having bought when both purchase and service costs were reasonable. They didn’t sign up for the current maintenance costs which have reached unreasonable levels. Omega are going the same way, there will come a time when the cost of servicing a 50 year old Constellation will be £700 and there will be no independents left to offer a reasonably priced alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rolex will no doubt justify the higher charges for the older watches on the basis that they’re likely to be in poorer condition, needing more parts and more time to get them right again. In some cases that will be true, but in many cases it won’t! One thing I’ve learned about older watches is never to assume anything about the condition of the movement, a watch may be 50 years old but the movement is in better condition than some 10 year old watches.

To me it makes more sense to charge for each job on its merits, if the watch turns out to be a basket case the bill is larger, with parts and labour costs show separately. That’s how the motor trade works, that’s how I work, but for some reason the big watch brands don’t see it that way.

I sympathise with those who've owned a Rolex for many years, having bought when both purchase and service costs were reasonable. They didn’t sign up for the current maintenance costs which have reached unreasonable levels. Omega are going the same way, there will come a time when the cost of servicing a 50 year old Constellation will be £700 and there will be no independents left to offer a reasonably priced alternative.
    Hang on - my GMT-Master 1675 cost me £208 in 1980, and has been serviced twice - each service costing less than £250. At one of the services, a new bracelet was fitted (or if it wasn't completely new - there were a hell of a lot of new parts used) for around £25. New hands and bezel insert fitted during the later service too (Included in the price).

Back then - servicing and repairs were an absolute bargain, and of course - now not so much. BUT - what is my old 1980 GMT worth now? £10k might be a low estimate.

I'm still seeing that watch as being the cheapest watch I have ever owned.