closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Everest with Acrylic - Mark II

Smiths Everest with Acrylic - Mark II

Well some of you may recall I modified a previous version of the Everest with an acrylic crystal.

This time I have used the case from the acrylic Commando and swapped in the Everest movement, dial and handset.

Much simpler mod and looks fantastic in my opinion:

TheGent

Grand Master
    Can you remind me what was involved in the crystal mod? I seem to recall the rehaut ring on the new crystal needed modification. Can you remember what size crystal was used, I`m guessing it's a standard Sternkreuz ATC?

I`m sure I`ll get asked at some point whether I can do this job for someone, usually I won't get involved with modifications but if it's straightforward I don`t mind. Did you test the watch for water resistance after fitting the new crystal? Provided it fits tightly it should be OK up to 3 bar at least, probably more.

I've worked on a couple of the PRS 25 40mm versions with the original acrylic crystal (which is no longer available), replacing the original with a Sternkreuz ATC out of necessity because the original has cracked or loosened.

PM me with details if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can you remind me what was involved in the crystal mod? I seem to recall the rehaut ring on the new crystal needed modification. Can you remember what size crystal was used, I`m guessing it's a standard Sternkreuz ATC?

I`m sure I`ll get asked at some point whether I can do this job for someone, usually I won't get involved with modifications but if it's straightforward I don`t mind. Did you test the watch for water resistance after fitting the new crystal? Provided it fits tightly it should be OK up to 3 bar at least, probably more.

I've worked on a couple of the PRS 25 40mm versions with the original acrylic crystal (which is no longer available), replacing the original with a Sternkreuz ATC out of necessity because the original has cracked or loosened.

PM me with details if that helps.
    Well this time I simply swapped the dial and movement from an acrylic commando (PRS-47).

Regarding my original mod - I’ll PM you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you explain the differences please as I don't see it / them? How does the black dial Everest now look different being in a Commando case? Or are you saying that they don't look different, it was just the mod that was easier?

Thanks.

Sorry - to clarify, I bought an PRS-47 Commando Acrylic, and a PRS-25 Everest (Sapphire) and swapped the cases over.

This might help (forgive the choice of kitchen roll):

Before (Commando with Acrylic Crystal, Everest with Sapphire):

And when the case is swapped (so acrylic now on the Everest):
    Last edited by TheGent; 15th February 2022 at 18:27.

So the two watches side by side after the swap:

Master
    Am I missing the point here. Would it not have been easier to put an acrylic on the Everest.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I missing the point here. Would it not have been easier to put an acrylic on the Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well I’ have done that in the past with a high domed acrylic crystal and a modded tension ring. It made the watch quite tall with a very deep rehaut. The Acrylic commando has a specially made case designed for Acrylic crystals so it sits lower and does not require the tension ring mod.
    Basically you are getting an Everest with a case designed for the acrylic crystal.
    Last edited by TheGent; 15th February 2022 at 19:14.

Journeyman

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing a link to this in the original post - did not know, there was a acrylic version for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    Thanks for sharing a link to this in the original post - did not know, there was a acrylic version for sale.
    It’s only the Commando version (PRS-47) that has the acrylic available, and Eddie has said he won’t make any more after the initial run.
    I understand why from a business perspective - but I think they look so much better with acrylic.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    It’s only the Commando version (PRS-47) that has the acrylic available, and Eddie has said he won’t make any more after the initial run.
    I understand why from a business perspective - but I think they look so much better with acrylic.
    I agree acrylic is much better looking - no doubt about it. Maybe if this sell's out fast he will make more :-)

Have you considered being the original PRS-25 with acrylic used?

https://wornandwound.com/review/smit...prs-25-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    I agree acrylic is much better looking - no doubt about it. Maybe if this sell's out fast he will make more :-)

Have you considered being the original PRS-25 with acrylic used?

https://wornandwound.com/review/smit...prs-25-review/
    The original PRS-25 with an acrylic crystal was only done in 40mm. Might make a difference to some who prefer the 36mm size.

Journeyman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The original PRS-25 with an acrylic crystal was only done in 40mm. Might make a difference to some who prefer the 36mm size.
    Let petition for a 38 mm with acrylic :-)

Great work

Nice to see another Everest without the milky ring.

Craftsman
    Looks really great, how did the swapped Everest movement fit in the Commando case, were there any issues also, did you keep the original crown & stem with each movement or did you swap so that there were no issues when screwing the crown down with the different case.....swapped the bracelets over of course.

Just curious as I already have the latest Everest (non rivet bracelet) and have a plexi Commando on the way, as a big lover of acrylic crystals and may perform this mod myself.....quick question, did you pressure test each case after completing the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Looks really great, how did the swapped Everest movement fit in the Commando case, were there any issues also, did you keep the original crown & stem with each movement or did you swap so that there were no issues when screwing the crown down with the different case.....swapped the bracelets over of course.

Just curious as I already have the latest Everest (non rivet bracelet) and have a plexi Commando on the way, as a big lover of acrylic crystals and may perform this mod myself.....quick question, did you pressure test each case after completing the mod.
    I think only the machining of the rehaut and crystal aperture are different, everything else seemed completely interchangeable.
    I didn’t pressure test as I don’t see any risk to the case integrity. If I was planning on swimming with them I probably would.

Master
    Looks great. I can see exactly why you went this way too - the rehaut. I didn't have that problem on the Navigator...

BTW you can get NOS low-dome crystals with tension rings - you have to search around a bit though. I think - depending on which watch they are going on - a low-dome can get you around the 'bubble' effect that a high dome sometimes gives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Looks great. I can see exactly why you went this way too - the rehaut. I didn't have that problem on the Navigator...

BTW you can get NOS low-dome crystals with tension rings - you have to search around a bit though. I think - depending on which watch they are going on - a low-dome can get you around the 'bubble' effect that a high dome sometimes gives.
    Yes exactly. I can see that the Navigator would not have that issue.

Thank you - I’ll go looking for some low dome crystals.

Craftsman
    Advantage: no milky ring

Disadvantage: it buggers up the aesthetics a bit in that the indices now look too long for the dial (without the ring LOL)

Cool idea all the same !

Genius!

Now for sale over in the sales section as I have something else incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Now for sale over in the sales section as I have something else incoming.
    In the right hands it's the ultimate Everest.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Apprentice
    I like how the lack of milky ring makes the dial look quite a bit bigger. Nice work!

Its the one that has broken my long period of abstaining from watch purchases.

I had been planning a WTB for a plexi Commando and Everest to have this swap done and was just getting the funds together to do this when I saw Grahams for sale post.

Its a lovely thing.

Master
    A great looking watch and glad it has found its way to me.
    Hoping to pick up a jubilee bracelet for it too at some point.
    Trying it on a zuludiver Lunar for a while

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    A great looking watch and glad it has found its way to me.
    Hoping to pick up a jubilee bracelet for it too at some point.
    Trying it on a zuludiver Lunar for a while

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Looks great on that strap!