closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D tablets?

Master

Vitamin D tablets?

Anyone take them? what, if any, side effects did you get.

Master
    Yes (particularly over winter) and no side effects

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yes (particularly over winter) and no side effects
    I've just started taking them a few days ago and am feeling sick all the time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2000iu daily. No ill effects whatsoever

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    2000iu daily. No ill effects whatsoever
    Same for me. Started when it was suggested it was beneficial for the immune system and so potentially helpful against Covid. Latter benefit seems unproven.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitami...als/vitamin-d/

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I've just started taking them a few days ago and am feeling sick all the time.
    I read feeling sick is one of the symptoms of too much vitamin D, i would lower the dose and take breaks from it perhaps

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes - in line with NHS reccomendation https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitami...als/vitamin-d/

No ill effects.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No side effects.

Master
    Yes I take 2000iu daily for the last 4 years. As I was told to prevent oestreoporosis occurring.

I got a skin rash on face & neck. Really red & dry.

I've read that can be a side effect & when i stopped taking it it went pretty soon afterwards..

Journeyman
    Yes, daily. No effects

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Edit: no effects except a reduced risk of all sorts of things, it seems!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Taken them for six years after breaking my hip, no side effects.

Yes, daily with no side effects. Get mine from Costco where they are good value.

Been taking them for years, no I’ll effects at all.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

No side effects
    Take a high dose that I get from boots, normally £12 for 90 but often on buy one get one free
    Started after reading a report by a Spanish or Portuguese scientist who did trials in its efficacy especially covid related

Master
    I get these from Tesco

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/299846722

288 for £16 on offer.

Blog Entries
    Yes, we've both been taking these for the last 2 years. No side effects noticed at all.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...0?skuid=046970
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I use a vitamin D spray, one squirt on my tongue each morning. No side effects and I do think it helps to avoid colds etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

have taken 4000 iu D3 daily for over 6 yrs daily with no problems (levels have been tested and are on upper level but fine) , its usually something in the tablet binders that causes issue for some people - you need to take a hell of a lot of vit D for it to become toxic.

No problems. 👍

Master
    As an aside absorption is better with oil based tablets. If not, they need to be taken with a meal.

Craftsman
    Daily for me and the Mrs across the last 2 years. Haven’t noticed any side effects.

Currently looking at trying out some new multi-vitamin supplements, currently been taking some boots own brand tablet style ones. Are they all much of a muchness or is absorption much better via one method as opposed to another? Can you tell I can’t be bothered to do my googling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been taking Vitamin D 4000 IU daily, along with a Vitamin C (1200mg) and Zinc (40mg) tablet since 2015 when reading that a low Vitamin D level may be linked to the development of MS, which is prevalent in the northern hemisphere and amongst populations of european descent, although black people can also develop MS. Keeping your Vit D levels up also helps prevent severe illness, if you catch SARS-Covid.* There is a clinical study just about to report on Vitamin D and Covid from Queen Mary University of London**

* https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2022...o-severe-covid
    **https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04579640

I've never had any side effects from either of my vitamin supplements.

For those of you who can be outside a bit during daylight, roll up your sleeves during your walk and you’ll be fine. Supplements in winter for those of you who live up’ north.

And David you need at most 100 mg per day vit C, the rest you’re literally pissing away. And you can get that from a small amount of fresh fruits.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I take 1x 1000Ui capsule a day (Nature's Best).

Recently upped my daily dose from 2,000 IU to 4,000 IU on the basis will do no harm and anything that might help prevent oestreoporosis (I'm getting on a bit and don't get out as often as I ought). These are my current choice: Supplement Tree...£5.97 for a year's supply.

Craftsman
    I was concerned about all of the reports of Vitamin D deficiencies and about a 2 years ago I started taking supplements. Having taken advice from my local pharmacist I purchased what they recommended (I can't recall the make or the dosage).

I get out in the sun as much as I can whilst being mindful of too much sun exposure on my bald head, etc!

I visited my GP for an unrelated issue and one point discussed was my general feeling of lethargy and tiredness and and Vit D came up in the conversation. I am active and workout 4 x week and she thought that my activity levels were probably the cause but maybe also my lack of Vit D.

I had a blood test and despite taking Vitamin D supplements for 2 years I was deficient. It may be that I have some other health issue that is yet to be diagnosed or was it just chalk dust or talcum powder that I consumed, but I was surprised that the supplements that I was taking had no effect.

I have been prescribed 800IU Cholecalciferol which I take daily and have no side effects at all. I await another blood test to see if they make any difference.

I take these daily in a high dosage, zero side effects. Most people at our latitude should take vitamin D as we will not easily get adequate from the sun during the short winter days. Otherwise eat lots of mushrooms.

We take shots from daily from “The Turmeric Co”

Quite expensive but work out a bit cheaper on subscription.

Since we both had Covid last August we wanted to boost our immune systems.

No colds since, perhaps I shouldn’t say that?

How have you all settled on your daily dosage? 400iu is the recommended dose.

The NHS says:
    What happens if I take too much vitamin D?
    Taking too many vitamin D supplements over a long period of time can cause too much calcium to build up in the body (hypercalcaemia). This can weaken the bones and damage the kidneys and the heart.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17 years.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 15th February 2022 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    How have you all settled on your daily dosage? 400iu is the recommended dose.

The NHS says "10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people" and "Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day".

NICE based their recommendation of 10 µg (400 IU) on bone health and did not consider any other factors to be significant. That is the level at which I started taking vitamin D.

Then I considered that I was not "most people" as I'm aging and don't get a lot of exposure to the sun, unless I am out on the water, sailing. Also, there is a the ongoing debate as to whether or not maintaining a higher than average vitamin D level gives the immune system a boost and there may be other benefits. Based on that I first opted for 50 µg a day and later moved to the highest non-harmful dose of 100 µg as it presented no great difficulty or cost, while possibly doing more than lower doses. As there is no easy way to self-monitor one's vitamin D level and it is doing no harm, I cannot see a down side to taking the maximum allowed.

Master
    I've now started taking them later in the day with lunch, I started off first thing in the morning taking them with a banana, I don't feel so sick now.

Grand Master
    In an editorial in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine titled “Enough Is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements,” Johns Hopkins researchers reviewed evidence about supplements, including three very recent studies.

Food is the best way to get all you need,its only that good feeling that your actually getting some benefit from.

I think if you googled the amount of vitamin D youd need per day,then a few vitamin D tablets aint going to do that much for anyone tbh,and or have any valued or noticed effect.
    I think this goes for certain foods too,ie spinach for eg and what its great for,but to really notice those benefits youd have to consume all on the supermarket shelf!!....then youd be sick as a pig!!.

I get it tho,we like to think were helping our body in someway.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    In an editorial in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine titled “Enough Is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements,” Johns Hopkins researchers reviewed evidence about supplements, including three very recent studies.

Food is the best way to get all you need,its only that good feeling that your actually getting some benefit from.

I think if you googled the amount of vitamin D youd need per day,then a few vitamin D tablets aint going to do that much for anyone tbh,and or have any valued or noticed effect.
    I think this goes for certain foods too,ie spinach for eg and what its great for,but to really notice those benefits youd have to consume all on the supermarket shelf!!....then youd be sick as a pig!!.

I get it tho,we like to think were helping our body in someway.
    I might have hoped for something a little more than an article dating from 2013. For example, when you write "I think if you googled the amount of vitamin D youd need per day,then a few vitamin D tablets aint going to do that much for anyone", perhaps you might have included some actual data, ie numbers.

You're entitled to your opinion (as are others), but I'd expect something more than feelings (eg "I think this goes for").

That said and going by the title (as I cannot find it online and no text was provided), the article may well be right about many of the products on sale and consumed in quantity. Most of what we need is best provided by food, certainly in the case of minerals, and there is little need for supplements unless a clinician establishes that someone has a deficiency. However, this thread is about vitamin D and there is (in 2022) a debate amongst clinicians, researcher and the like (including, no doubt, a few charlatans) as to its efficacy in areas other then bone health.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I might have hoped for something a little more than an article dating from 2013. For example, when you write "I think if you googled the amount of vitamin D youd need per day,then a few vitamin D tablets aint going to do that much for anyone", perhaps you might have included some actual data, ie numbers.

You're entitled to your opinion (as are others), but I'd expect something more than feelings (eg "I think this goes for").

That said and going by the title (as I cannot find it online and no text was provided), the article may well be right about many of the products on sale and consumed in quantity. Most of what we need is best provided by food, certainly in the case of minerals, and there is little need for supplements unless a clinician establishes that someone has a deficiency. However, this thread is about vitamin D and there is (in 2022) a debate amongst clinicians, researcher and the like (including, no doubt, a few charlatans) as to its efficacy in areas other then bone health.
    My opinion too that food is the best way.Didnt have the energy to research further.

I need an energy tablet to do that.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th February 2022 at 19:39.

10mcg daily,got 90 tabs for £1 at home bargains.

I started during covid as well and i also remember an article in the metro paper suggesting people above Birmingham should take vitamin D in the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    10mcg daily,got 90 tabs for £1 at home bargains.

I started during covid as well and i also remember an article in the metro paper suggesting people above Birmingham should take vitamin D in the winter months.
    Unless a Geordie.

Vitamin D is produced naturally by exposure to sunlight, so is food a suitable source?

Anyway, Harvard's opinion: RDA for vitamin D to 600 IU for people up to age 70 and to 800 IU for those over 70 (which is a bit higher than the UK recommendation).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-d-do-you-need

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    daily with no side effects.

effervescent multi vitamin / vit c can make me feel a bit nauseous if I drink it before ive eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I got a skin rash on face & neck. Really red & dry.

I've read that can be a side effect & when i stopped taking it it went pretty soon afterwards..
    Similar for me but can't tell if it's related because it's winter, so the heating doesn't help, and I'm stressed.

Might start doing every other day. Been taking 4000 for about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Similar for me but can't tell if it's related because it's winter, so the heating doesn't help, and I'm stressed.

Might start doing every other day. Been taking 4000 for about 6 months.
    4000 is a very high dose, probably better off taking 2000 (or less) every day.

Nah it'd be redundant.

For the rest, just eat well as someone said earlier it's mostly a huge business of little benefit. Oh and exercise.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th February 2022 at 10:14.

Master
    Senior Oncologist here in Edinburgh advised us to take Vit D and she'd have it added to drinking water! 'May' have helped with our recent bout of complete non-event family Covid.

No anti-viters here?

Vitamin D will not prevent MS so no point in dosing on same in an attempt to lower your risk of developing MS. There is currently no evidence that high vitamin D levels reduce the risk of developing MS https://www.mssociety.org.uk/researc...ents/vitamin-d. Vitamin D is produced naturally by the body; you'll make sufficient by a daily walk in fresh air and sunshine.

And to quote Prof Tim Spector, one one of the world's leading epidemiologists who has studied over many years the effects of excessive use of vitamin supplements:

"We have fallen in love with the idea that adding vitamin D, calcium, folic acid, B vitamins and iron to an ever greater range of foods including milk, breakfast cereals, bread and many ultra processed foods makes them 'nutritious'. This fortification allows public health departments to say they are improving the health of the nation 'naturally' and cheaply without appearing 'medicalised'. But we wildly overestimate the benefits of supplements and underestimate the risks. Virtually none have been proved to work, and the evidence increasingly points towards their doing more harm than good. ....... Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin since our bodies can make it naturally from chemicals in the skin on exposure to sunlight. It's fat soluble meaning that like vitamins A, E and K, toxic levels can build up in the body as it is stored in fat tissue. While recommendations for supplements are usually modest doses, these will inevitably be overdone by many people including those who buy high dose supplements on the internet. Although vitamin D toxicity is rare and causes high levels of calcium in the blood, it has serious effects on the heart, kidney and brain which can last for months. Incidences of toxicity have been increasing over the last few years and look set to continue due to internet sales and people eating fortified foods. You can get enough vitamin D from 15 minutes of daily sunshine exposure or a handful of vitamin D rich mushrooms." ... extract from Tim Spector's book 'SPOON FED' ... pages 53, 57 and 58 of Chapter 5: 'The Supplements Really Don't Work' .

If you've been 'brainwashed' by the media hype / advertising you might want to dismiss Tim Spector's findings ... old habits and beliefs can die hard ... but he has published papers in medical journals to prove the facts. He was also 'brainwashed' by all the hype published by companies trying to 'push' their products ... until he researched properly and discovered the truth about them. Try taking a large dose of vitamin C and you'll discover that its main effect is as a diuretic which increases frequency of urination ... and with brightly coloured pee ... the actual excess vitamin C is not absorbed / stored ... it's expelled ... and can also increase the risk of kidney stones' formation.

Reducing smoking and alcohol and taking more exercise can improve health better than taking unnecessary vitamin supplements.

Tim Spector's SPOON FED book is well worth reading ... and could save you ££ spent on unnecessary supplements https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spoon-Fed-a.../dp/1787332292

Tim Spector is a professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London and honorary consultant physician at Guy's and St Thomas’ Hospitals. He is a multi-award-winning expert in personalised medicine and the gut microbiome, and the author of four books, including the bestselling The Diet Myth. He appears regularly on TV and radio around the world, and has written for the Guardian, BMJ, and many other publications. He is the lead researcher behind the world’s biggest citizen science health project, the COVID Symptom Study app. This free tool has been used by nearly 4 million people in the UK, US and Sweden to diagnose themselves without testing. It has confirmed new symptoms and risk factors for the virus, allowing scientists to monitor its progress and warn health authorities.
    Last edited by sundial; 18th February 2022 at 23:09. Reason: typo
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Senior Oncologist here in Edinburgh advised us to take Vit D and she'd have it added to drinking water! 'May' have helped with our recent bout of complete non-event family Covid.
    Senior Oncologist's suggestion that it's added to drinking water is plain daft
    Last edited by sundial; 18th February 2022 at 20:42.

^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No anti-viters here?

How did we get onto Multiple Sclerosis?

To try and get the thread back onto vitamin D, rather than vitamins in general or dietary minerals, I will quote from the NHS website:

Good sources of vitamin D

From about late March/early April to the end of September, most people should be able to make all the vitamin D they need from sunlight.

The body creates vitamin D from direct sunlight on the skin when outdoors.

But between October and early March we do not make enough vitamin D from sunlight. Read more about vitamin D and sunlight.

Vitamin D is also found in a small number of foods.

Sources include:

• oily fish – such as salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel
    • red meat
    • liver
    • egg yolks
    • fortified foods – such as some fat spreads and breakfast cereals

Another source of vitamin D is dietary supplements.

In the UK, cows' milk is generally not a good source of vitamin D because it is not fortified, as it is in some other countries.

The use of bold is mine...to emphasise what I see as some important points.