closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58

Thread: Timex Reissue Digital LCA - how cool is this!?

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217

    Timex Reissue Digital LCA - how cool is this!?

    This is fantastic! Have just ordered one, in the naff fake gold colour of course! (Stainless steel also available).

    https://www.timex.co.uk/q-timex-reis...2U725007U.html


  2. #2
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,354
    Blog Entries
    26
    Yes, I have been very close to buying one of those. Just so retro-tempting.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    This is fantastic! Have just ordered one, in the naff fake gold colour of course! (Stainless steel also available).

    https://www.timex.co.uk/q-timex-reis...2U725007U.html
    Nice but a bit pricy.

    I’m sure I had something similar but with a bigger LCD analogue display. Possibly a Casio?

  4. #4
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,354
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I’m sure I had something similar but with a bigger LCD analogue display. Possibly a Casio?
    Yes, Casio did something very similar and I think it's available as a re-issue too.

  5. #5
    Very 1980s Argos catalogue (and I'm not saying that in a bad way)

    Timex have definitely found their market. The Q is proliferating in various colours and special editions (Space Invaders, Pac Man, Coca Cola) all very knowingly retro. Also the Waterbury range seems to be on trend...



    Can't quite pinpoint their inspiration there. Someone in Timex marketing and development is having a lot of fun.

    TT

  6. #6
    Argos 1985 catalogue...


    credit


  7. #7
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Timex have definitely found their market.
    Can't quite pinpoint their inspiration there. Someone in Timex marketing and development is having a lot of fun.

    TT
    They certainly have, I assume because people can have a bit of fun buying a colourfull, good looking, reliable watch for £150 or less, and not with a £5k++++ (unobtainable) list price plus waiting indefinite amounts of time. And all the while having to crawl to people standing behind shop counters in order to "develope a relationship".
    As an amusing (to me anyway) aside, yesterday I met an ex workmate for a coffee. He was telling me how he has put himself on a waiting list for a pepsi something or other at just under £9k. He then asked me what model of Rolex I was wearing, Well he had the last two letters right, it was my Timex q reissue. Now he's a very very decent guy, but maybe this small example illustrates how much a large segment of the current Rolex customer/waiting list base actually knows beyond the name.
    Power to to the likes of Timex for keeping their employees, supply chains etc employed simply by riding on the coat tails of such madness.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,123
    Wow, even a Timex reissue thread can escalate into a Rolex dig alarmingly quickly 😂

    Nice watch, if a little pricey as mentioned.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gods own county of Sussex
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Argos 1985 catalogue...


    credit

    And I’m suddenly a child again looking through catalogue of dreams!! I love the re issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Argos 1985 catalogue...


    credit

    That's fantastic, thank you!

    I need that black one with the LCD display in my life now..! :D

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, Casio did something very similar and I think it's available as a re-issue too.
    Yes, Casio are doing it too! This is fantastic, check this out!!

    https://www.casio.co.uk/watches-cloc...ge/casio-icons

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    And I’m suddenly a child again looking through catalogue of dreams!! I love the re issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gave me a real pang of nostalgia. I still instinctively open catalogs from the back!

  13. #13
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Wow, even a Timex reissue thread can escalate into a Rolex dig alarmingly quickly 😂

    Nice watch, if a little pricey as mentioned.
    Guilty as charged. I don't usually as the rolex thing isn'tusually part of my world, but my response was pertinent to the previous post and my tale was quite topical to the thread as a whole.
    I do really like the watch the thread was started about, but would never be ae to read it without putting my glasses on, would have loved it thirty years ago though.

  14. #14
    It must be a bit of a thing at the moment.

    I understand Girard-Perregaux will be reissuing their classic Casquette LED watch either later this month or early next. However, with a price of about CHF4.5k it’s not exactly cheap!

    IMG_9853.jpg

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,330
    Blog Entries
    2
    Would be amazing if they brought out the time tutor for adults.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,885
    I'm loving Timex at the moment. Lots of interesting fun watches at good prices, and some real bargains in the sale!

    I've picked up these two recently, both nicely discounted.

    The Marlin (right) has a Miyota auto inside, Waterbury is quartz, and you can set the hour hand independently (like a GMT Master), as well as indiglo.

    Last edited by apm101; 10th February 2022 at 11:44.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,197
    Reminds me of a Casio I had in the late '80s that had a very similar LCD analogue "dial". Because the minute and second hands were essentially the same thing, it really annoyed me after a while. A two-hander implementation would have been preferable with the seconds visible on the digital display. Like an Aerospace.

    That said - I do like it, but at £135 I'll pass.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,885
    The gold version is £108 with the code LOVE20 at the moment.

  19. #19
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,327
    I would not have thought that I would ever consider spending £100+ on a Timex, but that gold retro has me twitching.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    The gold version is £108 with the code LOVE20 at the moment.
    I was just about to post this - I've bought mine using this code. A hundred quid for a proper slice of Eighties retro charm, that can't be bad! :D

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Having said that, I had a browse through the Casio Vintage Collection, and they had this, which I actually owned when I was about 15!

    And it's only £44! So one of these is on its way too... :D


  22. #22
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Having said that, I had a browse through the Casio Vintage Collection, and they had this, which I actually owned when I was about 15!

    And it's only £44! So one of these is on its way too... :D

    My dad wore this model for years, haha.

  23. #23
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1

    Timex Reissue Digital LCA - how cool is this!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    This is fantastic! Have just ordered one, in the naff fake gold colour of course! (Stainless steel also available).

    https://www.timex.co.uk/q-timex-reis...2U725007U.html


    I just sent mine back . I’m starting to regret it because of this thread appearing now !

    Overall it was good but it had a few issues that maybe I could or should of overlooked.

    1)The backlight was emulating the original so was non existent and only illuminated the date section oddly . Apparently a quirk that timex included to correctly homage the original. Purists may like that others may well of welcomed indigo but voiding it’s roots.

    2) The lcd screen was crooked on mine which on reflection I should of checked the reviews which quite a few people have reported and returned or quick fixed themselves . Quite abundantly this is reported. Should it be an issue on a relatively cheap watch or a genuine grumble- it done my head in anyway .

    3) This is a nerdy observation but one of the nerd reasons I purchased the watch . The original m-433 (kindly shown in the Argos picture by a member) had a cool animation on the analog portion when alarmed yet they chose to replicate the original‘ light’ but left that cool alarm quirk out. Odd .

    It was kind of like a Roger Moore Octopussy seiko G757 5020 ‘faberge egg’ finder animation if people of a certain age remember , shown here on the original, like this -

    https://youtube.com/shorts/cFkV3mU2LCc?feature=share

    4) Setting the alarm for 11pm is ghost jumps to 12!

    On the flip side you get a full stainless steel case and bracelet that has a fairly substantial feel. It’s a bit of a hair puller for me personally but others may not experience that . Overall it was a very cool watch and I wish it didn’t have them niggles which I couldn’t work past .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 10th February 2022 at 16:17.

  24. #24
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    IMG_4539.jpg
    Quick pic of it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Guilty as charged. I don't usually as the rolex thing isn'tusually part of my world, but my response was pertinent to the previous post and my tale was quite topical to the thread as a whole.
    I do really like the watch the thread was started about, but would never be ae to read it without putting my glasses on, would have loved it thirty years ago though.
    Ha ha I know the feeling. No judgement, just found it amusing.

  26. #26
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Ha ha I know the feeling. No judgement, just found it amusing.
    No problem whatsoever, I shouldn't have hijacked the thread :)

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    4,211
    These look great. I'm pretty sure I had the silver version back in the day!

  28. #28
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,084
    Timex have been emailing out this little teaser for the last day or so. Quite excited.

  29. #29
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Timex have been emailing out this little teaser for the last day or so. Quite excited.
    I got that too but I can’t find anything on it at all. Waiting for the big reveal !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, Casio did something very similar and I think it's available as a re-issue too.
    Do you know what model Casio did ? I’d be interested to see .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I got that too but I can’t find anything on it at all. Waiting for the big reveal !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just hope it's not a bland dressy thing, we want proper 1972!

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Can you imagine if Omega started doing this, it would be brilliant!

    The Montreal, the Speedmaster MK2 Racing, the X-33, the Time Computer...

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    3) This is a nerdy observation but one of the nerd reasons I purchased the watch . The original m-433 (kindly shown in the Argos picture by a member) had a cool animation on the analog portion when alarmed yet they chose to replicate the original‘ light’ but left that cool alarm quirk out. Odd .

    It was kind of like a Roger Moore Octopussy seiko G757 5020 ‘faberge egg’ finder animation if people of a certain age remember , shown here on the original, like this -

    https://youtube.com/shorts/cFkV3mU2LCc?feature=share
    That's a disappointment, I agree.

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    London/Surrey
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Argos 1985 catalogue...


    credit

    Holy crap. I’m suddenly 10 years old again. That Timex time tutor was my first ever watch. Lost it somehow and wasn’t allowed another watch. Sniff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,354
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Do you know what model Casio did ? I’d be interested to see .
    The particular one I was thinking of was their version of the Timex with LCD analogue hands. Sorry, I can't remember the model number and I can't see it currently listed for sale.

    Sorry can't be more helpful. They may already have sold out of it.

  36. #36
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    No problem - thanks for replying anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37


    Why get a timex ana-digi when you can get a Boba Fett ana-digi?

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,197
    This is the Casio I had 30-odd years ago, pic nicked from elsewhere. Even though I disliked it I'd probably buy a reissue.


  39. #39
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,354
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    This is the Casio I had 30-odd years ago, pic nicked from elsewhere. Even though I disliked it I'd probably buy a reissue.
    That's the one (or very similar) that I was thinking of.

    I think Casio did do a re-issue but I can't find it now.

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Oh yes!!

    Note the countdown timer timing my dinner! :D


  41. #41
    I sense your excitement!

    The Casio by the way is the AE-9W from 1984. There was also the AE-8W and some metal cased ones, the AE-70 and AE-74:

    8W


    70


    74


    And how about the A201?





    I wonder if the AE-70 “reissue” was this one…?



    Or is it in fact a mod? It looks very like the AE-70 under the case, and no visible branding. Unusual for a Casio.

    TT

  42. #42
    Craftsman Ascalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    253
    Love that retro look.
    Casio had a style all of its own then.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I sense your excitement!

    The Casio by the way is the AE-9W from 1984. There was also the AE-8W and some metal cased ones, the AE-70 and AE-74:

    8W
    I had a couple of the later AE-11W version. Like the 8W but without the ribs at the side of the case and no colour on the dial. Been watching them sell for stupid amounts, over £200, on the net.

    If they reissue the 8 or the 11 I’m having one!

  44. #44
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,354
    Blog Entries
    26
    I think the Casio re-issue I saw fairly recently was one of the two below.

    I'm really sorry I didn't pay more attention to it at the time.

    Casio do seem to be going through re-issues quite fast at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    70


    74

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    Love the A201!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I sense your excitement!

    The Casio by the way is the AE-9W from 1984. There was also the AE-8W and some metal cased ones, the AE-70 and AE-74:

    8W


    70


    74


    And how about the A201?





    I wonder if the AE-70 “reissue” was this one…?



    Or is it in fact a mod? It looks very like the AE-70 under the case, and no visible branding. Unusual for a Casio.

    TT

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    3,217
    And now the Casio! :)


  47. #47
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,322
    There was also a reissue of the Seiko G757


  48. #48
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I sense your excitement!

    The Casio by the way is the AE-9W from 1984. There was also the AE-8W and some metal cased ones, the AE-70 and AE-74:

    8W


    70


    74


    And how about the A201?





    I wonder if the AE-70 “reissue” was this one…?



    Or is it in fact a mod? It looks very like the AE-70 under the case, and no visible branding. Unusual for a Casio.

    TT

    4th one down blue thunder watch? Was looking at these very pricey now

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I think the Casio re-issue I saw fairly recently was one of the two below.

    I'm really sorry I didn't pay more attention to it at the time.

    Casio do seem to be going through re-issues quite fast at the moment.
    They’ve certainly not been reissued in the uk. If they had I’m sure I’d have one!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    This is the Casio I had 30-odd years ago, pic nicked from elsewhere. Even though I disliked it I'd probably buy a reissue.


    I had the same watch. You don't know the reference do you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information