closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hotel recommendations- Newcastle City Centre

Hotel recommendations- Newcastle City Centre

My son and his girlfriend are looking to book a hotel in Newcastle city centre / quayside area, he’s looking for somewhere nice, contemporary and walking distance to the centre, ideally with nice views of the river.

He’s doing the usual internet research but any real life experience would be helpful. A nice bar and restaurant would be a bonus.

They are both 23 / 24yo and max budget is around £400 but flexible for something special but by no means have to spend it all if there is something nice for less, if anyone knows, I’m sure TZ does.

Thanks in advance.

The Malmaison on The Quayside is in a great spot and has a good choice of rooms . The restaurant serves pretty good standard food .
    The Vermont is a nice place , just up from there .
    Sandman Signature is next to SJP and is a nice business type hotel .
    There’s also a Premier Inn next to The Tyne Bridge . If you can get one of the river facing rooms , they are huge with very large windows offering excellent value .
    Then they can stay up all night listening to the half million seagulls that nest under the bridge.

Craftsman
    The Vermont is right next to the "Newcastle" and has a lift down to the quayside, saves walking up and down dog leap stairs! They could try the Hilton which is on the Gateshead side but offers great views of Newcastle, quayside and the bridges. It's not where you stay in Newcastle but more about getting out and meeting the locals. I'm sure they'll have a great time wherever they choose.

Craftsman
    400quid a night or for the weekend, either way should see them a very good hotel in Newcastle.

Havent stayed in the toon post covid, malmaison used to be decent.

Thanks all, Malmaison and Vermont look good, they had also considered the Innside and Copthorne so far.

Journeyman
    Malmaison is probably the best all-round bet, but might also be worth considering Grey Street Hotel, if they really want to be right in the very middle of the city.

Do they need restaurant recommendations too?

I’ll get him to check that out as well. Restaurant recommendations welcome also.

Just been told they want nice food but relaxed on dress codes.
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 9th February 2022 at 10:31.

Journeyman
    Träkol on the Gateshead side of the Quayside is great, provided you're not vegetarian. It's mainly open fire cooking but their Sunday lunches are spectacular too.

My wife swears by The Cookhouse but I've never been. They'd definitely need to book there though.

Keep an eye on https://www.secretdiner.org for more recommendations. (And certainly much more up to date ones than mine!)

I am staying in the Hilton tomorrow night, and will be eating nearby.
    Happy to report back afterwards.
    It was less than £100 for a queen room with bridge/river views

Restaurants recommended nearby were Gusto (Italian) Gino DiCampo’s place (same) or Khai Khai (Indian, but all cooked over flame and smoke - whatever that means!)

All a bit pedestrian - that Trakol linked above looks bloody great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 9th February 2022 at 10:50.

Definitely the Malmaison. Stayed there and it was top class. The bedroom overlooked the river and tilting bridge which at night changed colours.

Master
    Stayed in Newcastle a fair few times as my son was a student there. If you are not bothered by the view bit then Hotel Indigo is nice. For the view the Hilton Gateshead is great; right by the Tyne Bridge. We favour it if driving as the parking is easier. Blackfriars is a lovely restaurant too.

Thanks all, some great suggestions that I will pass on

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Thanks all, some great suggestions that I will pass on
    My wife and I stayed here just before Christmas:
    https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/unit...stle/index.htm

Excellent hotel, we had a river view studio and I think you'll struggle to get a better view of the Tyne.

Thanks for all he suggestions. He has decided on the Innside.

I’ll get him to check that out as well. Restaurant recommendations welcome also.

Just been told they want nice food but relaxed on dress codes.
    House of Tides .

Master
    What about the Crowne Plaza at the back of the station. Book an exec room and get club lounge access for pre-drinks before you head out.

Unless the Copthorne has had a refurb it was looking rather tired last time I stayed there. Mal Maison is nice, the room with the illuminated double bath is rather nice.

Copthorne’s a sh*thole these days. You’d be better off in the new Travelodge next door. Seriously.

Crowne Plaza or Hotel Indigo would be my recommendations. Malmaison’s good, but the walk up Dean Street’s brutal for out-of-towners.
    Last edited by Seamaster73; 12th February 2022 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Tripadvisor
    I’d have put money on it being you.

Craftsman
    You mentioned they wanted decent food. If pushing the boat out then Peace and Loaf is definitely worth a shout.

https://www.peaceandloaf.co.uk/

I've eaten there twice. Been brilliant both times..

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

+1 for the Mailmaison Quayside. Aside from the horrible humps on the approach by road, the hotel was lovely to stay at. Vast choice of quality restaurants within a few minutes walk too.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The Malmaison on The Quayside is in a great spot and has a good choice of rooms . The restaurant serves pretty good standard food .
    The Vermont is a nice place , just up from there .
    Sandman Signature is next to SJP and is a nice business type hotel .
    There’s also a Premier Inn next to The Tyne Bridge . If you can get one of the river facing rooms , they are huge with very large windows offering excellent value .
    Then they can stay up all night listening to the half million seagulls that nest under the bridge.
    That would be my shout & I live in Newcastle.
    Both the Malmaison and the Vermont are excellent but if I had a choice it would be the Malmaison.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I posted in the other thread that I pick hotels mainly on location & parking.
    My reasoning being that if I chose correctly, I would be at the hotel only for sleeping & breakfast.
    The evenings would be spent, walking around exploring, taking photos, having a bite to east & (if with colleagues) a few drinks.
    Again, if well located I could walk to the meeting the next day & leave the car at the hotel.

One of the best in this regard was the Staybridge Suites in Newcastle.
    Excellenty equipped suites - with a lounge & kitchen area - so you have the choice to have delivery / eat in.
    Ample parking, ideal location for short walk to places to Quayside & town centre for restaurants & bars if you venture out.
    They also have a manager's reception some evenings with free nibbles and drinks.

z

Master
    We've just checked out of Newcastle Malmaison and no surprise we've had a great stay.
    So another recommendation.
    Plenty of great restaurants nearby as well.

All the Geordies were in fine form after their team won!

Journeyman
    Thanks for all he suggestions. He has decided on the Innside.
    Great choice...

House of Tides is very good, I'd also recommend The Broad Chare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    What about the Crowne Plaza at the back of the station. Book an exec room and get club lounge access for pre-drinks before you head out.

Unless the Copthorne has had a refurb it was looking rather tired last time I stayed there. Mal Maison is nice, the room with the illuminated double bath is rather nice.
    The only time I ever went to Newcastle was in 2001 and we stayed at the Copthorne, nice location and walkable to everything but we thought it was a bit tired looking then!