closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSSD used £8900..not bad?

DSSD used £8900..not bad?

Just watched a sale finish on a DSSD 2010 on ebay,looked used, some marks to the case but it fetched £8900 ,not sure why but it shocked me a little as i thought nobody liked these.....

Master

DSSD

In my humble opinion they are unbelievable value in today’s mad Rolex world , I mean compare one of these to a 14060
    ( great watches the 14060 ) but the DSSD is a work of art .I met up with a TZer years ago and saw he had a DSSD on and just had to get another .

What’s not to like?

https://i.imgur.com/dUL4O9j.jpg

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Just watched a sale finish on a DSSD 2010 on ebay,looked used, some marks to the case but it fetched £8900 ,not sure why but it shocked me a little as i thought nobody liked these.....
    Less than current RRP!!

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    In my humble opinion they are unbelievable value in today’s mad Rolex world , I mean compare one of these to a 14060
    ( great watches the 14060 ) but the DSSD is a work of art .I met up with a TZer years ago and saw he had a DSSD on and just had to get another .
    Completely agree. Great piece of engineering.

Blog Entries
    Isn't it the D-Blue that everyone wants now?

Yep superb watches. The clasp is magnificent. Whereas the gap between Seamaster 300 and its direct competitor the Submariner is quite small I think the DSSD is heads above the Planet Ocean that I guess it goes up against. It would even hold its own against the BP 50 Fathoms.

I'd love another but sadly funds don't currently allow

Master
    I love them and actually prefer the black dial version. I think everyone needs an over engineered deep diver!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think that the fact it only fetched £8,900 in a market where OP are selling for 50% over RRP backs what you though up. These are not popular.

I don't know why they weren't popular but one of the reasons they aren't today is that someone can't get on a list and flip it for easy profit.

Grand Master
    9-10k is still where DSSD are. With so many other black dial professionals that wear considerably better it was always a challenge for Rolex. Its a watch I’ve owned and loved but its last in the line compared to 114060, 116600 etc and its size is it achilles.

Great engineering (albeit pointless for almost every owner) but just being lumpy made it not a traditionalist piece. AP have the lumpy section covered with ROOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    . AP have the lumpy section covered with ROOS.

That’s made me laugh! Thanks for cheering up my day. I’m considering a ROO Diver at the moment, Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

To be honest value doesnt really concern me atm. I think it was the condition /price that caught my attention, i have the black and blue versions and love them to bits,my go to watch is the black version strangely

Grand Master
    WF are trying to punt them out at 11k and they are always overpriced / top end so 9k is about right maybe 10k for a blue
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id say it was about right for a 116660. 126660's are creeping higher as the redesigned bracelet makes the difference wear-wise.

I’ve been watching for a while having regretted selling my deepsea but now beyond me for the time being. The Cameron blues from what I see seem to be 2.5k more than the blacks, rarely seen for less than 12.5k these days. Makes the blacks look a good buy still imho.

The Rolex JC DSSD has always been one of my favourite models, the regular Black is also very nice but the dial does appear slightly dull IMHO compared to the JC, I have the 126660 but the original reference is just as nice. They do seem to be good value compared to the other over hyped/priced sports models, I would also put the SD43 into the same category.

116660 is a steal at that price. More features and engineering than any other diver/sports rolex. I had subs and always found them a bit ubiquitous after a while. The deepsea is cool and no more chunky than other bands.

I recently tried the jc version, but wasn't keen on the green text and lack of versatility due to the dial and print colour.

One of the few rolexes for sale for less than rrp, surely this is the rolex secret bargain. Ot certainly is in my eyes. The 16622 being a close second

Blog Entries
    I've worn a black DSSD 116660 as virtually a daily for the past 4 years and love it. I swapped it out last week for my Pepsi 16710 and it feels, well, really underwelming, it will be back on deposit at the weekend and the DSSD will return.

Pitch

Amazing reading through all the insights posted here about the DSSD as I've been looking at picking one up. It looks like occasionally there are deals to be had on eBay like the one posted about (and now that there there is this authenticator, makes me feel much better).

I guess my main hang up has been whether or not it is too large to be a daily wearer, as I love the thought of wearing one but it seems like it would be too 'loud', as I don't typically like catching people's eyes.

Master
    I wore a black DSSD as a daily from 2010 until 2015 when I changed to a JC. Again this was my daily, until I joined TZ and contracted the collecting disease. I never felt it to be too big or clunky, and still wear a DSSD quite a bit today. A black for under 9 grand seems like a deal to me.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    I guess my main hang up has been whether or not it is too large to be a daily wearer, as I love the thought of wearing one but it seems like it would be too 'loud', as I don't typically like catching people's eyes.
    126660 my main wearer at the moment and to be honest, I forget that its on most of the time after the hour or so it takes to adjust from wearing a smaller watch. I dont share the "uff heavy" gripes that some have.
    I usually wear long sleeves so the chances of people catching sight of it are pretty slim

Grand Master
    Heavy and lumpy isnt bad its a shape that looks great worn right

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I've worn a black DSSD 116660 as virtually a daily for the past 4 years and love it. I swapped it out last week for my Pepsi 16710 and it feels, well, really underwelming, it will be back on deposit at the weekend and the DSSD will return.

Pitch
    Hi Paul it was seeing yours on the wrist that I decided there and then that I needed another one , hope all’s well mate .

Master
    For me, the sense of the weight wore off surprisingly quickly. Despite its size, not sure I had more than 1 comment in the decade or so I wore it pretty well every day. Mind you, those were the good old days when watches were much less of a “thing”!

Master
    Heavy and lumpy isnt bad its a shape that looks great worn right
    It’s huge but the proportions are right, for me anyway. Only tried an SD43 once and it looked big and flat.

Grand Master
    Lets remember it needs a larger wrist so globally the huge chunk of the buyers may find it large! We forget sometimes Rolex is sold outside Europe. I imagine it does ok stateside though. !

RIAC

Master
    I sold my 2015 black one with a fresh Rolex service in 2020 for about £8700. They can only be serviced by Rolex I was told by Rocco in Bristol due to the pressure testing. The servicing factor is worth thinking about as it isn’t cheap( £749) I preferred the black versions to the blue which was great as they were cheaper too:)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    What’s not to like?

https://i.imgur.com/dUL4O9j.jpg

Simon

"Rolex
    Oyster Perpetual Date
    Deep-Sea
    Sea-Dweller
    12800ft - 3900m
    Superlative Chronometer
    Officially Certified"

Surely, if you're spending that much on a watch, you've a good enough idea of what you're buying not to need to be reminded every time you look at it?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    "Rolex
    Oyster Perpetual Date
    Deep-Sea
    Sea-Dweller
    12800ft - 3900m
    Superlative Chronometer
    Officially Certified"

Surely, if you're spending that much on a watch, you've a good enough idea of what you're buying not to need to be reminded every time you look at it?
    Deepsea is the only additional word or you referring to ringlock engraving

RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Hi Paul it was seeing yours on the wrist that I decided there and then that I needed another one , hope all’s well mate .
    Heck Mark, 20th January 2018 mate, where the hell has that 4 years gone. ?????

All is good here mate thank you and trust likewise.

The JC is going great and does come out for the odd special occasion.

All the best

Paul

how to create a dice

Well done.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I bought mine in 2010 and wore it as a daily for three years and then regularly ever since. It was my first new Rolex and holds a very special place in my collection and will always be part of it. Compared to most other sports models, they certainly are a bit of a "bargain" at present.

Deepsea is the only additional word or you referring to ringlock engraving

Apologies, just my warped sense of humour. Didn't mean to cause offence.

Grand Master
    Apologies, just my warped sense of humour. Didn't mean to cause offence.
    Non taken.

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I sold my 2015 black one with a fresh Rolex service in 2020 for about £8700. They can only be serviced by Rolex I was told by Rocco in Bristol due to the pressure testing. The servicing factor is worth thinking about as it isn’t cheap( £749) I preferred the black versions to the blue which was great as they were cheaper too:)

Correct to a degree, SD and DSSD can be serviced by any good watchmaker, it's just Rolex won't let them be serviced by any Tom, Dick or Harriet, or their certificated indys. They insist on new crystal, HEV and I assume full wet pressure test to 3900m (do they really do this though ?).

My guy has done loads of SDs, he can pressure test down to 400m+, which is adequately sufficient for most I would think, don't think he can source correct crystals but if there's nowt wrong with the one you got, why change it. He replaces the HEV case seal and all the ones he's done have wet test passed down to 400m.

Re the DSSD, not sure I'd be able to pull it off but love the technical-ness of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Correct to a degree, SD and DSSD can be serviced by any good watchmaker, it's just Rolex won't let them be serviced by any Tom, Dick or Harriet, or their certificated indys. They insist on new crystal, HEV and I assume full wet pressure test to 3900m (do they really do this though ?).

My guy has done loads of SDs, he can pressure test down to 400m+, which is adequately sufficient for most I would think, don't think he can source correct crystals but if there's nowt wrong with the one you got, why change it. He replaces the HEV case seal and all the ones he's done have wet test passed down to 400m.

Re the DSSD, not sure I'd be able to pull it off but love the technical-ness of them.

SD 16600 costs £630 for service at Rolex Service Centre, including pressure test. (no crystal change required - perhaps the DSSD must have one at each service?)

If the hands lose lume or get damaged (or indeed any other part) - can the other 'watchmakers' cater for that? As I understand it - they cannot get spares from Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post

Hey Gomers, who do you use to service if you don't mind sharing (for future reference)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    SD 16600 costs £630 for service at Rolex Service Centre, including pressure test. (no crystal change required - perhaps the DSSD must have one at each service?)

If the hands lose lume or get damaged (or indeed any other part) - can the other 'watchmakers' cater for that? As I understand it - they cannot get spares from Rolex.
    I wasn't aware of the non-requirement for a service SD crystal, always assumed and thought I'd previously read somewhere that this was a given due to the pressure testing involved.

Craftsman
    I've always quite fancied one of these as they're a little different. Sadly never been in a position to try one on and see what it's like on my puny 6.75 inch wrist. Seems like decent value as well at same price dealers are currently offering for my 116622.

Anyone else got small wrist with a DSSD?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

95% of Asia!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    95% of Asia!
    And that's my issue - they seem to like the dinner plate on the wrist look over in Asia judging by social media. For me I wear a 44.25 mm Speedy 9300 that looks just about right on my wrist, but I'm aware the DSSD is heftier.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    And that's my issue - they seem to like the dinner plate on the wrist look over in Asia judging by social media. For me I wear a 44.25 mm Speedy 9300 that looks just about right on my wrist, but I'm aware the DSSD is heftier.
    They wear very similarly. I have both but definitely if you can do a 9300 then a DSSD would be no problem.
    Visually its a thicker bezel and smaller dial so despite being heftier doesn't wear larger.

Master
    Me! I don’t know (or care) whether people think it looks too big for my wrist. It sits beautifully and very comfortably on said wrist.

- Deleted, sorry -
    Last edited by catch21; 13th February 2022 at 00:31.

Cool

All the best

Paul

how to create a dice

I know that DSSD!!!

Hope you are enjoying it still Paul.

And my daily beater is the JC Blue that I just love.

Master
    Blog Entries

Was that via your AD? If so he made a crafty extra £30 off you - just got my 16600 done at RSC via AD for £600.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Was that via your AD? If so he made a crafty extra £30 off you - just got my 16600 done at RSC via AD for £600.

Yes - Laings. I took it to them as they advertised that they serviced in-house at their accredited workshop, but either due to age (2004) or 'dive' - sent to RSC.

How much would it cost me to send to RSC myself, with extra insurance cover to the value of say £9k)?

My local watch dealer - sends off all his Rolex (inc Daytonas and Skydwellers) by RMSD (with no uplift on insurance) claiming that RM take extra care of packages going to RSC.

I would view parcels packaged/addressed to RSC - as being higher risk than a non-identifiable address.

Not my risk-comfort zone, where one lost watch could cost you £30k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes - Laings. I took it to them as they advertised that they serviced in-house at their accredited workshop, but either due to age (2004) or 'dive' - sent to RSC.

How much would it cost me to send to RSC myself, with extra insurance cover to the value of say £9k)?

My local watch dealer - sends off all his Rolex (inc Daytonas and Skydwellers) by RMSD (with no uplift on insurance) claiming that RM take extra care of packages going to RSC.

I would view parcels packaged/addressed to RSC - as being higher risk than a non-identifiable address.

Not my risk-comfort zone, where one lost watch could cost you £30k.

Erm mine was Laings too - Edinburgh.... maybe you looked richer than me
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 9th February 2022 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Erm mine was Laings too - Edinburgh.... maybe you looked richer than me

Quite possibly - I did overhear a murmur amongst staff that I looked like Tom Cruise.

Mine went in at end of November '21 - maybe they have put their prices up since you got yours done?

Craftsman
    I prefer the James Cameron dial looks great in the light ,everybody says the newer version is much better with the wider bracelet balancing the watch out better.Its not that popular probably least popular along with sea dweller

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

All the best

Paul

how to create a dice

Hi Paul all ok thank you and crazy to think it was 4 years ago !

Lovely watches the DSSD and like I said in an earlier post they are amazing VFM in today’s market , the JC are beautiful as well.