closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New QM60 from CWC, issues

New QM60 from CWC, issues

Arrived last week and whilst generally it's a lovely thing there is an issue. The second hand is definitely misaligned. Doesn't hit a signle second marker anywhere on the dial. Oddly it's closer to them from 45 to 60 than it is from 0-45 (pretty much in the middle between markers round to 45 and then slightly off right of markers up to 60). I've sent them a polite and friendly email asking whether this is a batch error or if I just have a dud and asking what they'd like to do. No reply yet.
    I'm not being unreasonable am I? for a £500 Swiss-made watch you can reasonably expect the second hand to be aligned with the markers no?

The second hand often doesn't hit the markers on an Omega SMP costing 4 figures.

The only quartz guaranteed to hit every time is the Grand Seiko 9F and its derivatives.

That said, all my CWC are fine give or take a smidge on a couple of markers.

Can't you return it within 14 days or is it well worn now?

Most quartz watches are hit and miss in this area.
    My SBS is out by a gnats baw bag hair. It’s to do with the movement tolerances and there is very little that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The second hand often doesn't hit the markers on an Omega SMP costing 4 figures.

The only quartz guaranteed to hit every time is the Grand Seiko 9F and its derivatives.

Yeah, I'm not expecting perfection but it's so out you'd struggle to actually time anything with it. Which seems a bit off, really.

Well I've emailed them well within 14 days so we'll see what they say...no idea what CWC/Silvermans customer service is like. Guess I'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Well I've emailed them well within 14 days so we'll see what they say...no idea what CWC/Silvermans customer service is like. Guess I'll find out!
    I've never had any bother with them.

I had an RN matte top that had dust under the glass and they took that back for correction without any fuss.

It does sound like yours is wrong though. It should be hitting the majority of markers pretty close.

It's always disappointing having a probem with a new watch. Good luck.

I've never had any bother with them.

I had an RN matte top that had dust under the glass and they took that back for correction without any fuss.

It does sound like yours is wrong though. It should be hitting the majority of markers pretty close.

It's always disappointing having a probem with a new watch. Good luck.
    Thanks. Will report back.

Just an update on this. I called Silverman's. They said no problem, send it back RMSD and we have some stock so we'll pick one where the second hand is hitting better and swap it for you. No fuss, no hassle. I always think that stuff will go wrong from time to time and it's how companies deal with it that counts. On that basis you'd have to give Silvermans 10/10 for this - really couldn't ask for more.

I discussed this issue with a watchmaker a while back and the stop start motion of the second hand, which is barely visible to the human eye does over time throw things out. Even if the watch was correctly reset today to hit the minute markers over time there would be drift.

I have a quartz Smiths Astral clock and about 40 of the minutes hit and the remaining 20 miss.

It is quirk of quartz movements, maybe buy something more expensive with a sweeping second hand.

Second hands not hitting their markers on quartz.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...kers-on-quartz

Craftsman
    Have a collection of CWC Quartz G10 and Divers, albeit mostly issued. A small number do this, while others are very precise. Seems to be a trait with the eta 555 and 955 family of movements.

Pleased to hear your getting it exchanged, had no issues with Silvermans sorting warranty from my own experience, even right at the end of the period covered.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a RN Diver and an SBS. Both hit the second markers around 3/4 of the dial. Once upon a time that would irritate me but not now. Just a quirk of the watch. I don’t think I’ve ever actually owned a quartz that hits all the second markers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m also amazed that with quartz military watches it’s not specified that the seconds hand hits the markers, accurate timing and synchronisation etc?
    Every Seiko Tuna and 7548 I owned was spot on in this respect….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP hope your replacement was better.

I have previously emailed CWC and did not receive a reply. I contacted via the contact us page on their website and quickly received a reply.

Emails can end up in junk/spam and try and use contact us wherever I can.