closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: We Buy Any Car experience

Craftsman

We Buy Any Car experience

Due to the arrival of a new car I was looking at the various options to sell my 30k mile 2017 Audi A4. Not wanting to sell privately due to strong offers coming in from the trade, I did the rounds with the usual suspects. I'm pretty into car detailing so I knew the condition of the paint really well and the car was painted in the flat "Brilliant" black. WBAC's price adjustment model is they adjust the price by the "cost" of repainting a panel and this varies by the brand of car. Their price to paint a panel on an Audi was £530 (if I remember correctly). This resulted in them reducing their offer by £2,650 after "inspecting" my car.
    If you've driven the car over a winter then then a couple stone chips on the bonnet and bumper mean that they're pretty much certainly going to be included. They then managed to find 3 more tiny blemishes to require those additional panels need repainting. I'd had paint correction done when I bought the car and I'd only ever carefully washed it myself in the couple of years I'd had it so it definitely didn't need £2.5k worth of paint doing. I ended up selling to a local independent. I expected WBAC to "chip" the price they offered but wasn't expecting to to be quite that much.

I used Motorway (very good) last time as WBAC are a pain and don't do immediate payment but are happy to charge you extra for a 4 hour one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I used Motorway (very good) last time as WBAC are a pain and don't do immediate payment but are happy to charge you extra for a 4 hour one.
    +1 - I used Motorway and they gave a faultless painless service. I was offered £10900 from WBAC, received £14600 selling through Motorway. Others I know had similar experience, so it wasn't that i was lucky.

Craftsman
    Think I read somewhere that the guy doing the ‘inspection’ is paid on commission, the more he chips you (no pun intended) the more he/she gets.

No idea if it’s true but would explain their eagerness to find every tiny blemish.

Just as easy to sell through Autotrader at the moment. Listed my daughter’s Fiesta last week, advert was live for less than an hour before a trader called offering more than WBAC would have paid. He collected next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    +1 - I used Motorway and they gave a faultless painless service. I was offered £10900 from WBAC, received £14600 selling through Motorway. Others I know had similar experience, so it wasn't that i was lucky.
    I tried Motorway when selling the wife's 2019 A-Class before Christmas. The service from them was really good and I really liked the web interface and their customer service team were great but we didn't get a strong price. Maybe it was the timing but their estimate was £22,200 but the highest bid was £19,050. We also ended up selling to a different local trade who was short on stock.

I think the WBAC experience depends entirely on the branch you use. I've heard horror stories and also had people have great experiences.

I sold my motorbike to a webuyanybike type place and the guy said i'd been too critical on my bike :D

It's amazing that they get away with their advertising, Philip Schofield saying "we tell you what your car is worth in X seconds" it should say what we say your cat is worth.

Lots of people have complained to the ASA yet they keep getting away with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    I think the WBAC experience depends entirely on the branch you use. I've heard horror stories and also had people have great experiences.

I sold my motorbike to a webuyanybike type place and the guy said i'd been too critical on my bike :D
    100% agree , just sold my 21 plate transit sportvan to wbac for 29k plus vat ( it was mint and the guy remembers me from the last time i did it ) and the service was painless as usual .
    I had tried motorway after glowing reviews on here and found them to be utter plant pots . Did the online guff then spoke to them and actually stated is the quoted sale price of 30k ish plus vat and got the yes . It duly sold for 29300 ish and they then ( the dealer buying ) tried getting out of paying the vat with plenty of flannel .
    Best the would do was that inc vat after they admitted their error so needless to say i was not taking 24k ish plus vat and it went to wbac
    I would not use motorway if my arse was on fire and my life depended on it

they are clowns, i once sold a car for about 5 times what they offered me

I used carwow (wizzle) for mine in October. Fantastic service where dealers bid against each other, similar to Motorway.

I kept an eye on the car when sold and the last price I saw the car advertised as was only £230 more than they paid me so they probably made a loss (they reduced it 4k).

Avoided WBAC due to the feedback I'd read but saying that a mate sold his to them very simply and for the price quoted. Another decent one is Cazoo.

Blog Entries
    Used Cazoo at the end of Nov. The estimated price was higher than WBAC and Motorway at the time. I described the car honestly, the guy turns up and spends 10 mins inspecting it then tells me he's happy with it and will give me the full amount. Asks me to electronically sign some paperwork then hits a button and money instantly appears in my bank account.

Honestly, I was surprised at how easy and smooth the process was. I was expecting to have to play games but I got none of it. Would recommend.

Master
    Used the local Cazoo a month or so ago, best offer among the usual suspects, inspection took 2 minutes and a test drive around their yard, painless and effortless, no attempt to lower the price despite that a 2 year car had been only washed once.

Similar story. A couple of years ago I had an online quotation from WBAC that was reasonably competitive so took the car to them (it was in excellent condition with 1 scuffed alloy and two minor stone chips). The chap looked around the outside of the car and sat in the drivers seat; he didn't bother lifting the bonnet or looking underneath. He then offered me a price £1,800 less than the online quote. There were 6 more words:' Hand me the key please. Goodbye.' He tried to call me back and said he'd call his manager to see if he could increase the offer. I drove away and will never even consider them in the future. Sold it privately two days later.
    Last edited by Skier; 8th February 2022 at 19:54.

I sold a car to WBAC, and it was an entirely positive experience (apart from waiting 4 days for the money). As suggested above, a lot probably depends on the person doing the physical inspection of the vehicle.

Craftsman
    I sold a car to WBAC last year and it was a brilliant way to sell. They paid just about full market value and didn’t quibble really. They did say a wheel had curb marks and deducted £60, i argued the damage was smaller than a match head and he was taking the Micky so he agreed to remove that.
    The car had done 700 miles more than I said when I filled their online form out So they deducted something like £300 but when I did the online form again with both mileages that was what it deducted so I couldn’t grumble. Once the inspection was done I said I wasn’t selling and wanted £100 more so the guy pretended to phone a manager then said ok.

I waited the 4 days for my cash but in fairness they do advertise clearly about their fees up front, you don’t go on blind.

It’s a business, they want to buy low sell high. It’s our place to look after our own pockets.

Currently motorway are offering a lot more for my current trade in than wbac so I may end up using them....

Master
    Recently used Motorway for a friend's Volvo XC60. I made sure it was mint, machine polished, stone chips done and sanded and repolished etc.

Initial offer from Motorway was £15'900. After going out to their dealer network for offers they came back with £17,400. In a weird twist the car she was buying was a stone's throw from them so they increased it to £17,500.

Upon delivery to the dealer it was inspected and payment was instant.

Superb service!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Based upon the positive reviews above, also tried Motorway to dispose of a 7 year old VW and it was a great experience. Uploading the pictures they needed was a breeze and they stuck it in an auction the next day where it sold for well above the WBAC and their own estimate. The dealer came to collect, give it a once over and the money was paid across. Very easy - no need to leave the house or deal with any of the auto trader calls.

Craftsman
    I’ve not used them myself by I’ve known people use WBAC in Dorset albeit some years ago and reported fairly positive feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've used WBAC twice. Better prices than the brands' dealers and minimal quibbling over the online price. I'd use them again quite happily but probably get a Motorway quote too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    I sold recently to WBAC and all went well with them sticking to their online offer. On saying that I'd have been shocked if they dropped the value as the car still had the protective stickers over the boot sills.
    I did check Motorway too but wasn't overly endeared to their system. They essentially auction the car to dealers who then make the purchase (as I understood it) which made me feel like they were just advertising my car for sale rather than WBAC who were buying directly from me.
    The end result may have been the same but Motorway's way didn't quite sit right in my mind.

Last year I put the details of a car that was for sale on SC into WBAC and was shocked at how low they offered, especially so as I thought the asking price was a fair one.

Fast forward to today and I've just sold a car for £13250 whereas WBAC had offered £8645.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

They should be called We Kick Any Tyre.com, they chance losing good cars by offering ludicrous prices and then knocking down even further for minor minor issues, they once offered £5 for my missus Toyota Yaris

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Last year I put the details of a car that was for sale on SC into WBAC and was shocked at how low they offered, especially so as I thought the asking price was a fair one.

Fast forward to today and I've just sold a car for £13250 whereas WBAC had offered £8645.

R
    Update.

Sold another car today: £12950
    WBAC: £9805

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Update.

Sold another car today: £12950
    WBAC: £9805

R
    In WBAC's defence, they're getting closer.

Journeyman
    I put my cars details including honest details of very minor damage (stone chips etc) in to 6 or 7 car buying sites

WBAC were the highest by over £500

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

I've used cazoo with the cars I've sold over there last year & they are by far the best.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I've used cazoo with the cars I've sold over there last year & they are by far the best.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
    In my case WBAC were £1,000 over Cazoo

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

SydR
    Sold a Mustang to WBAC a number of years ago. They paid me £2.5k more than the Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain said it was worth.

Saw it up for sale later for £3k less that they paid me. They do, occasionally, make mistakes.