closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waze or Google Maps for car satnav ?

Master
    Blog Entries

Waze or Google Maps for car satnav ?

I’ve been using Google Maps for years but a few have recommended Waze, any views on which is best?
    Last edited by Montello; 6th February 2022 at 17:09.

I do like Waze, which I think is owned by Google. Waze reports cars stopped on hard shoulder or police cars etc. It does help avoiding traffic and taking alternative routes.

Waze every time for the speed trap alerts and for when it tells me when I’m 10% over the current speed limit.

But as was mentioned they are both from Google!!

Cheers, Shaun

Craftsman
    Tried waze, didn’t like it. Found it too distracting . I only use Google maps now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waze is best to warn you about traffic issues and reroute you if necessary. Its strength lies in the monitoring of connected cars to signal a possible issue, and confirmation of the issue by the users themselves. I also like the car speed display and the change in colour if you are speeding. However I find the maps and indications confusing, especially on unfamiliar roundabouts.
    It is frequent that I shall have one on my CarPlay while my wife runs the other on her phone (which is how I know Waze is better for traffic: it is always first to signal an issue).
    Another advantage of Google maps is that you can download the maps if you are abroad or going to a no-signal area.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Neither.

Try AmiGO, Tomtom’s free app.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Neither.

Haven't tried AmiGo, but Apple Maps is also TomTom based and the Apple fanboy that I am says it's below the 2 others.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    However I find the maps and indications confusing, especially on unfamiliar roundabouts.
    Couldn't agree more. Waze is great when you're on a familiar route but want to keep an eye on potential traffic build-ups and accidents etc but if I actually need it to give me directions, particularly if the roads are a bit complicated, I find the interface very confusing.

I use Waze, I find the reports ahead useful. Also it finds more alternative routes compared to Google maps. Never had any trouble using it regarding the display.

I find the UI of Waze too infantile.

Still, it’s handy to know where the filth are parked up scarfing their pasties.

Charming, you might need them one day. Let's hope you don't.

Agree, can't be bothered with the Pacman style interface.

Master
    Use both, Waze for alerts and google for navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agree, can't be bothered with the Pacman style interface.
    I don’t know what you two have been smoking but I’d like to try some of it please.

Another vote for Waze. My only gripe is that I've occasionally not been able to select the exact location on Waze but when I check it will be in Gmaps. In those instances I switch to Gmaps towards the end of the journey.

Both are ultimately owned by Alphabet.

Google = easy route, not many turns.
    Waze = 100 turns if it will get you there 5 mins quicker.

I use both depending on which on how long the route is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Both are ultimately owned by Alphabet.

Google = easy route, not many turns.
    Waze = 100 turns if it will get you there 5 mins quicker.

I use both depending on which on how long the route is.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. We use Waze in built up areas eg get from one side of the city to another. Once on the open road the more relaxed Google maps is our preference. Plus with Waze you quickly tire of pot hole and broken down car alerts

Journeyman
    Waze is great however some rerouting has involved a number of very narrow and single track roads on occasions.

Not great when you've a big motor or meet the farmer/bus/amazon delivery bloke coming the other way

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Not really, most of the police car notifications are Highways Agency cars parked up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Neither.

Installed it.... did a 5 mile journey it gave me 3 route options, selected the one I wanted but never took me on it! Eventually re-routed itself. I needed to turn right at my destination but instructed me to go past and then turn right.
    Once I wanted to go home again it wouldn't select my preferred route back and again it caught up with itself so far so good!
    Near home, about 1/4 mile away it said I'd arrived at my destination, despite presetting my exact address.
    Needless to say a very poor experience, so will be using Waze and uninstalling this poor Sat Nav.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Prefer Waze for the camera and police alerts

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Prefer Waze for the camera and police alerts
    Just remember that it relies on other drivers signalling them...

By the way, there is a system (also available as an app) on the continent called Coyote that works very well for that. I recommend it because now that the UK is out of the EU, UK registered cars are more likely to be stopped and pay on the spot. The first 30 days are free, then €10/month (but you do not need to subscribe for more than one month, so a small investment should you go across the Channel for your holidays).

Journeyman
    I never really understood how that was supposed to work. Or are the only people reporting incidents the *passengers* of Waze users?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    I never really understood how that was supposed to work. Or are the only people reporting incidents the *passengers* of Waze users?
    Mostly yes. It’s easy to update (as a driver) when you are stuck somewhere in a jam, as it asks you. For police/camera, it needs a passenger to raise the alert and then subsequent drivers just need to touch the screen to confirm/infirm.

Waze for finding a route, get info on traffic jams, speed cameras.

Sygic for navigation, but only when i am abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    Why does it have to be a passenger?

The driver can use the device, as long as it is secured in a holder. Otherwise, plenty of built in Apple Play headunits can run Waze. These are all activated by the driver.

Master
    The new regulations still allows using a phone as a sat-nav as long as it's in a holder, and also making a contact less payment (e.g. car park or drive through).
    Is notifying other drivers of a mobile speed camera van operating a sat-nav? I accept carriageway hazards are a safety issue, not so sure about the speed enforcement van. Apparently they will make it easier to enforce transgressions, not sure how as drivers will just say they were operating the sat-nav instead of scrolling through their play lists.

Journeyman
    Mostly yes. It’s easy to update (as a driver) when you are stuck somewhere in a jam, as it asks you. For police/camera, it needs a passenger to raise the alert and then subsequent drivers just need to touch the screen to confirm/infirm.
    Yeah, I think the only time I ever actually reported something was when I was stuck in a long, stationary, traffic jam. And even then, I remember it being a bit tense as we stopped and started and worrying that I'd actually reported the roadworks in the right place.

I think I confirmed stuff as a driver once or twice, but I was never wholly sure whether by choosing the thumbs up icon, I was confirming that the cones were still there, or whether the thumbs up actually meant that everything was OK now and the incident had cleared (so thumbs up to that!). In the end, I decided I was probably better off concentrating on the road.

I've not used this on Waze myself, but when I first came across it a number of us were traveling to Scotland in 3 vehicles.

You could tell where the other cars were in relation to you and the journey - A useful feature in some circumstances.

I've never used it myself, so not 100% sure if it's still there, but I'd imagine it is.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I do like Waze, which I think is owned by Google. Waze reports cars stopped on hard shoulder or police cars etc. It does help avoiding traffic and taking alternative routes.
    Use Waze everyday on my commute for this reason. Warned me of a 40 min delay last night - Google Maps and Apple Maps didn't.

Master
    All the pop-ups on Waze annoy me so now I use the paid for TomTom app which is only about £12 per year. Works fine on carplay gives you all the speed camera info and is usually pretty good on the traffic situation. I do a lot of miles with work so the nav app is important to me and needs to work well.

Google, tried waze, went back to Google.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

By the way, there is a system (also available as an app) on the continent called Coyote that works very well for that. I recommend it because now that the UK is out of the EU, UK registered cars are more likely to be stopped and pay on the spot. The first 30 days are free, then €10/month (but you do not need to subscribe for more than one month, so a small investment should you go across the Channel for your holidays).
    Coyote is crap, only ever worked reliably in France and also there usage is going down nowadays because of plenty free apps doing the same.

TomTom AmiGo has the same feature, and it works nice across Europe (maybe with the exception of Germany, where I would recommend Blitzer.de). All of those systems rely on user input, so need to use the most common one in any country.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    All the pop-ups on Waze annoy me so now I use the paid for TomTom app which is only about £12 per year. Works fine on carplay gives you all the speed camera info and is usually pretty good on the traffic situation. I do a lot of miles with work so the nav app is important to me and needs to work well.
    Have you used apple maps much? If so what do you prefer about the TomTom app? I’ve used apple maps for years, but am becoming less satisfied with it, so would like an alternative. I’m not keen on Google maps, and hate Waze.

Via Michelin appears to work well but for some reason it's not supported via apple car play or android auto.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Have you used apple maps much? If so what do you prefer about the TomTom app? I’ve used apple maps for years, but am becoming less satisfied with it, so would like an alternative. I’m not keen on Google maps, and hate Waze.
    The only time I’ve used Apple maps is when I’ve asked Siri for directions then it defaults to Apple. On those few occasions I’ve never liked the look of it, if I had to put my choices in order it would be TomTom, Waze, Googlemaps then Apple. I don’t even know if Apple gives you the live traffic updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    The only time I’ve used Apple maps is when I’ve asked Siri for directions then it defaults to Apple. On those few occasions I’ve never liked the look of it, if I had to put my choices in order it would be TomTom, Waze, Googlemaps then Apple. I don’t even know if Apple gives you the live traffic updates.
    The only thing I like with Apple Maps is the interaction with the AppleWatch, where you get a warning before each change of direction (turn, junction you must take, etc.). It allows you to concentrate on the road without keeping an eye on the screen.

The only thing I like with Apple Maps is the interaction with the AppleWatch, where you get a warning before each change of direction (turn, junction you must take, etc.). It allows you to concentrate on the road without keeping an eye on the screen.
    Bit like Google Maps talking you through the journey then ? No need to have the screen on.

I never put the voice on.

I’ll often put Waze on just for the alerts, but for navigation I prefer Google Maps. Waze is so desperate to save time it’ll send you on some weird routes, via roads I’d rather not use, with more turns and fussy driving, just to save 2-mins. Google will still re-route you around bigger traffic problems but is less fussy.

It’s all personal preference though. I prefer sticking to main roads and going as far as possible on them, leaving local backroads as late as possible. Waze doesn’t fit this logic, Google does.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some interesting comments ... I shall give Waze a try.

Apple Maps works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I’ll often put Waze on just for the alerts, but for navigation I prefer Google Maps. Waze is so desperate to save time it’ll send you on some weird routes, via roads I’d rather not use, with more turns and fussy driving, just to save 2-mins. Google will still re-route you around bigger traffic problems but is less fussy.

It’s all personal preference though. I prefer sticking to main roads and going as far as possible on them, leaving local backroads as late as possible. Waze doesn’t fit this logic, Google does.
    Very true about Waze trying to optimise all the time. However it doesn't happen so much on motorways unless there is a problem, and Waze will tell you significantly earlier than Google Maps most of the time. It's not so much an issue here because motorway exits are usually not too distant from one another but when in France it can be the difference between being warned in time to exit and go on smaller roads or getting stuck for some time (as per L. Oates acceptation, or thereabout).

Another good feature on Waze is the display of your current (GPS) speed. Again, when in France I set it up to km/h and it saves me from having to remember the conversion all the time, and goes red if I am speeding (very useful when you get near the end of a motorway, especially secondary ones around Paris when the speed limit is reduced for no apparent reason and you missed the sign when passing a semi.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 10th February 2022 at 11:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So I have done a few trips with Waze.

Is it possible to get an English accent for the voice rather than the US?

Also it seems to play a random jingle occasionally, a bit like you'd expect in a game if you'd won something ... but I have no idea what this signifies ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Is it possible to get an English accent for the voice rather than the US?
    Yes. In Settings/Sounds. A selection of accents including UK English (male and female) and also Strine etc

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yes. In Settings/Sounds. A selection of accents including UK English (male and female) and also Strine etc
    Thanks ... I'd scrolled down through all the English(US) options and then stopped ... needed to go further down to the real English options.
    Last edited by Montello; 10th February 2022 at 18:01.

Waze. Works brilliantly

another vote for Waze, hated it at first but now wouldn’t do a long journey without it.

love the ability to be warned if hazards or broken down cars and now that I’ve sidegraded to an older car I use the speed limit thingy to remind me.

worth using imho

I found that Waze bluetoothed to the car system drained the phone battery really badly.
    I went back to google maps and find it much better.