closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    If you have mates in the private sector doing the same job for more money get a job there ?
    You would have to get to work on time mind you :-) and NO MORE 2 hour lunch breaks and 1/2 the holiday. And if you don’t perform you get the sack.

Funny I bet you will stay in the public sector.
    Which job is this with a 2 hour lunch break double holidays and no dismissal if you dont perform please?

I dont care if its public or private sector but very curious to know what job it is.

Back on topic,

This whole Rolex thing does strike me as like one big pyramid scheme. Dealers bumping up the price, mugs sign up, mugs then flood the internet trying to get other mugs to sign up. Soon a perfect storm of mugs and dealers desperately trying to keep the price afloat otherwise the whole thing crashes.

All this "Well they were not mugs who paid 20k for a Daytona thats now 40K. Yeah only if they sold at that price and they keep selling at those prices. Soon as those on social medial get bored and move onto something else you have a 40k paperweight locked away in your panic room storage vault.

Are grown men actually buying into this whole "First watch on everest, the moon, worn by special forces in Nam......... just remember, in Philly its worth $50

Master

Is there a tears of laughter emoji?

My favourite are the Rolex oyster dates with the "Tiffany" blue dial that are selling for double the price of the ones with the correct dial.

I have some magic beans if anyone is interested?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Back on topic,

This whole Rolex thing does strike me as like one big pyramid scheme. Dealers bumping up the price, mugs sign up, mugs then flood the internet trying to get other mugs to sign up. Soon a perfect storm of mugs and dealers desperately trying to keep the price afloat otherwise the whole thing crashes.

All this "Well they were not mugs who paid 20k for a Daytona thats now 40K. Yeah only if they sold at that price and they keep selling at those prices. Soon as those on social medial get bored and move onto something else you have a 40k paperweight locked away in your panic room storage vault.

Are grown men actually buying into this whole "First watch on everest, the moon, worn by special forces in Nam......... just remember, in Philly its worth $50
    Do you think everyone signing up is a mug?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Do you think everyone signing up is a mug?
    Do you think signing up for whats basically a horological ponzi scheme is sensible?

I think FOMO's much more a thing nowadays, I mean look at Bitcoin/ Crypto that makes less sense than the Rolex ponzi but you can't deny it's got it's adherents too. Social media changed and raised the stakes/game...the crowds got bigger and easier to move.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th February 2022 at 20:04.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    they feel its a vocation and they feel obliged to provide a service for the good of others

you are on some strong shit, got any for sale ? you have got to me kidding me posting this crap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    you are on some strong shit, got any for sale ? you have got to me kidding me posting this crap.
    You don't think nurses are in it for the money do you..or is it for the two hour lunches and 50 days holiday......what an absolute fuckwit

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Do you think signing up for whats basically a horological ponzi scheme is sensible?
    Yes. I notice you didn’t answer my question though. Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Yes. I notice you didn’t answer my question though. Fair enough.
    Sorry, yes I do.

Don’t mean to be harsh but to quote the Malcom X film

“You’ve been had, hoodwinked, bamboozled”

*Ally* trolling at his “best”

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    *Ally* trolling at his “best”
    Ally?

Master
    I bought a 31mm Datejust for my wife last spring. I bought it from a dealer, used, but basically brand new, for a little below MSRP. The Chrono24 prices were roughly at the same level I paid. Now, less than a year later the Chrono24 asking prices for the same watch are 50% higher - and it's a ladies datejust, not one of the super hot watches. My own Submariner has had a 150% price increase since I bought it according to Chrono24.

I'm not sure if I like this all. Insuring the watches becomes expensive, there is no way to travel with these as together mine and my wife's watches would be worth something like 30k€. I don't really feel unsafe with these where I live, but I've noticed that my own habits have changed and I wear my more "reasonably" priced Speedy as my daily now. First world problems, I know.
    Last edited by china; 6th February 2022 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    So being in the SAS isn’t classed as Public Sector then? I was also in it for a couple of years before I transferred to the Department for Transport as an Administrative Assistant. Some of the paper cuts I suffered to my thumbs whilst on active filing duty? Well, I don’t even want to talk about them ok…
    I assume you are alluding to him being in the Special Air Service?? (and not Scottish Ambulance Service).

A very limited sector of 'public service', and probably not what we are talking about.

Danger in private sector? My own industry has coughed up a few notable dangerous occurrences:

In 1st world O&G exploration and production alone- the fatalities:

Piper Alpha - 167
    Deepwater Horizon- 11
    Alexander Keiland - 123
    Ocean Ranger - 84
    Brent Spar (flight) 6
    Cormorant A (flight) 11
    ETAP Borgsten Dolphin (flight) 4
    Gullfaks (flight) - 13
    Brent (flight) - 41

And that is just some of the ‘headline’ disasters. Many more individual fatalities……..

Not to mention the ‘there but for the grace of god’ incidents, of which there are dozens.

Grand Master
    Truth be told apt of people in private sector wish they were public but are enslaved to the cash and not prepared to pay cut and restart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Truth be told apt of people in private sector wish they were public but are enslaved to the cash and not prepared to pay cut and restart.

Work in the private sector for money and volunteer in the public sector for enjoyment.

Best of both worlds

I was at Zurich Airport just yesterday at the small Rolex shop by Bucherer.

Every single watch on display had "Display only" sticker.

I ask, so what do you have for sale? Nothing sir, the young lady replies.

So you have a shop that doesn't sell anything? I concluded.

Lots of aermm, hmmm... well yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissz View Post
    I was at Zurich Airport just yesterday at the small Rolex shop by Bucherer.

Every single watch on display had "Display only" sticker.

I ask, so what do you have for sale? Nothing sir, the young lady replies.

So you have a shop that doesn't sell anything? I concluded.

Lots of aermm, hmmm... well yes.
    That's hilarious.

Poor girl must have been run off her feet!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hardly a Ponzi scheme.
    It costs nothing to sign up at an AD, you don't pay anything until you actually get a watch, which is instantly worth more than you paid for it.

How is that signing up for a scam?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I assume you are alluding to him being in the Special Air Service?? (and not Scottish Ambulance Service).

A very limited sector of 'public service', and probably not what we are talking about.

Danger in private sector? My own industry has coughed up a few notable dangerous occurrences:

In 1st world O&G exploration and production alone- the fatalities:

Piper Alpha - 167
    Deepwater Horizon- 11
    Alexander Keiland - 123
    Ocean Ranger - 84
    Brent Spar (flight) 6
    Cormorant A (flight) 11
    ETAP Borgsten Dolphin (flight) 4
    Gullfaks (flight) - 13
    Brent (flight) - 41

And that is just some of the ‘headline’ disasters. Many more individual fatalities……..

Not to mention the ‘there but for the grace of god’ incidents, of which there are dozens.
    Plus - 1st April 2009 Helicopter off Aberdeen 16 fatalities

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Hardly a Ponzi scheme.
    It costs nothing to sign up at an AD, you don't pay anything until you actually get a watch, which is instantly worth more than you paid for it.

That’s assuming you can buy from an AD, an illusion of a waiting list and over inflated prices in a grey market. Combined with the internet flooded with people desperate to keep the market up because they have bought in high and stand to lose if reality sets in.

Just to be clear I hope the market crashes so those that want can buy, those that bought into the illusion I feel for but not those trying to fudge the market for their own needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Hardly a Ponzi scheme.

That’s assuming you can buy from an AD, an illusion of a waiting list and over inflated prices in a grey market. Combined with the internet flooded with people desperate to keep the market up because they have bought in high and stand to lose if reality sets in.

Just to be clear I hope the market crashes so those that want can buy, those that bought into the illusion I feel for but not those trying to fudge the market for their own needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Whilst I agree the market is nuts, the prices have only been able to reach such a high because transactions have been taking place so the demand is there.

If you describe the Rolex market as a Ponzi scheme, where do you start with more traditional asset classes? The value of diamonds and gold is mainly a social construct, property prices are out of balance with affordability/earnings & tech companies are valued at extreme multiples of revenue.

we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

….in Philly its worth $50
    Proper made me laugh out loud.
    Last edited by John Wall; 6th February 2022 at 21:51.

Blog Entries
    This is madness:

Todays asking prices:
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is madness.................Todays asking prices:
    I agree 100% Martyn.

The whole thing has gone ballistic - gone are the days that this was a hobby amongst friends (for me and others). I miss that and I (to an extent) resent where the market has gone. I have not missed out, had double figures of Rolex over the years (usually one at a time) and I do not regret the transition of my ownership over those years.

So over this current situation.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is madness:

Todays asking prices:
    SELL SELL SELL! (if you still have it)

Unless it's a very sentimental watch to you, I think you can get so much more with that kind of money. Personal opinion of course.

Firstly, its not a Ponzi scheme. But it might be a bubble.

I mean the market is supposed to provide negative feedback as prices rise but that does not seem to be the case here. Demand still seems huge. And supply is not going up.

I'm struck by the amount of admiring talk on social media about watch prices, not just the watches themselves. Things like "Cool Pepsi. Will be worth £22k soon." etc. Certainly didn't see that kind of thing a few years back and exactly mirrors how various speculators talk about crypto. There's as much interest in the money side as there is in the watch.

But unlike crypto, the watches are real. People will continue to buy them even if prices stagnate or fall. Arguably, more so. So even if there is a price correction, most people can be confident they won't be massively out of pocket.

Ergo, they'll keep buying and pushing prices up. I mean there must be a ceiling at some point but I don't see a crash coming. This is not like the US housing market in 2007/2008 which was built on cheap but unsustainable credit. People are buying watches outright and unlikely to have to sell them en masse like the housing foreclosures that forced a sub-prime crash.

Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    I'm struck by the amount of admiring talk on social media about watch prices, not just the watches themselves. Things like "Cool Pepsi. Will be worth £22k soon." etc. Certainly didn't see that kind of thing a few years back and exactly mirrors how various speculators talk about crypto. There's as much interest in the money side as there is in the watch.
    Social media is mostly responsible for the bull$hit - hence the current situation.

^ 116600 from 2022. A Bolex is it?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ 116600 from 2022. A Bolex is it?
    Wont be the only fake ad on C24. As its a barometer for newbies the amount of fictitious overpriced adverts aimed to pump the market or make dealers prices seem ‘reasonable’ is overwhelming.

Even the ‘average’ price on there needs a 16-20% reduction applying.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    gone are the days that this was a hobby amongst friends (for me and others). I miss that and I (to an extent) resent where the market has gone.
    It’s only gone if you’re only interested in Rolex or, to a lesser extent, other main brand watches.

There’s still lots of fun to be had at a much lower price point and IMHO, the quality is still there which just goes to show how ridiculous even the RRP of Rolex/Omega/GS etc watches really are.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s only gone if you’re only interested in Rolex or, to a lesser extent, other main brand watches.

There’s still lots of fun to be had at a much lower price point and IMHO, the quality is still there which just goes to show how ridiculous even the RRP of Rolex/Omega/GS etc watches really are.
    This is a very good point and my prediction for this year is Cartier growing in strength / popularity! That said Omega, Bremont, and Breitling have exciting things out and coming. Going to be a good year for the early converters
    RIAC

Chrono24 is where dealers talk up their wares. Same as other platforms where people talk up value of BTC, for example.

I agree that a huge spadefull of salt needs to be applied to all C24 prices for Rolex, ap, Patek, RM

Master
    This is a very good point and my prediction for this year is Cartier growing in strength / popularity! That said Omega, Bremont, and Breitling have exciting things out and coming. Going to be a good year for the early converters
    I think you're right. The AD I visited at the weekend had sold all both medium sized Santos models that morning. While still easily available he did say they've seen a lot more interest recently. Maybe as its impossible to buy a Rolex for most people.

Grand Master

we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Santos is disappearing and gaining in the shadows like never before. The Diver is also cheeky if you find a nice one.

Finding a Calibre De Cartier Diver in UK. Hard

RIAC

Santos is disappearing and gaining in the shadows like never before. The Diver is also cheeky if you find a nice one.

Finding a Calibre De Cartier Diver in UK. Hard

I blame Trotters!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you re Cartier. Lots of goings on there.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I agree with you re Cartier. Lots of goings on there.
    Some dealers are already asking silly prices for the coloured dial versions of the steel quartz Tank Must. Just a few years ago no one would’ve paid any attention to it due to being tiny, square and quartz. Not sure if anyone is taking the bait yet, but with no chance of getting a Rolex many are going to look elsewhere and Cartier is an historic strong brand.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Some dealers are already asking silly prices for the coloured dial versions of the steel quartz Tank Must. Just a few years ago no one would’ve paid any attention to it due to being tiny, square and quartz. Not sure if anyone is taking the bait yet, but with no chance of getting a Rolex many are going to look elsewhere and Cartier is an historic strong brand.
    I think thats pretty much what is happening.
    Discounts now very slim on them as well. Used to be a relatively easy -30% now lucky if there's 5.

*NB, trade.

Discounts now very slim on them as well. Used to be a relatively easy -30% now lucky if there's 5.

*NB, trade.
    I got 5% on a white dial quartz Tank Must a couple of months ago. Took it back for a refund as it kept losing time and eventually stopped. Rather surprising for a £2k Swiss quartz watch! Naturally, this was the “first time it had happened, Sir”.

Grand Master
    Well if anyone has a Cartier Calibre De Diver I have. WTB out

RIAC

Master
    I recently had some correspondence with a forum member when discussing the asking price of a sub I’m thinking of seeing.

The use of Chrono24 as an indicator is useful, but the band of asking, average selling price is very wide at £9k on the one I’m trying to value. It’s not one Id planned to sell. I’m assuming the mid point minus 10% is the asking point assuming condition is mint.

How do you use Chrono 24 as a guide ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I recently had some correspondence with a forum member when discussing the asking price of a sub I’m thinking of seeing.

The use of Chrono24 as an indicator is useful, but the band of asking, average selling price is very wide at £9k on the one I’m trying to value. It’s not one Id planned to sell. I’m assuming the mid point minus 10% is the asking point assuming condition is mint.

How do you use Chrono 24 as a guide ?
    I’d lop off the cheapest and most expensive 2-3 from each end, work out a mean average and remove 10-16% and you are close, expect to pay more if you are keen or the good end if you are trade
    RIAC

*NB, trade.
    Ive heard quite a few stories of Cartier watches having to be returned for just stopping. 'Magnetised' seems to be their standby explanation.

Thats helpful…..I’m assuming any listed outside uk you’d need to be adding 20% for VAT or not?

Master
    I’d lop off the cheapest and most expensive 2-3 from each end, work out a mean average and remove 10-16% and you are close, expect to pay more if you are keen or the good end if you are trade

I’m referring to ‘value’ tracker. I assume you are referring to actually listed for sale. In the above case the range of 44,653- 51786, I assume the mean is £48219.

How would you price?

^^^^^^^

For me this is £4k-£5k too expensive.

£42k-£44k - still wouldn't pay that kind of money, but it's not my type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    For me this is £4k-£5k too expensive.
    Probably more. But next week?