closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Craftsman

we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

the last month prices which I thought were bonkers before are now up daft %

£4k on a as new Daytona in a month, about £3k up on the Batmans, £4k up on the root beers>
    Can one even find the new LV , £19k+ or POA that's even if you can find them.
    £13k for a as new NO date base Sub !!! again if you can find one ! (only 3 on crono 24 in the uk)

Feb new prices are madness and they ARE selling at this price it seems. any Daytona at £29k which were only £26k in Dec sell same day !! now all £30k+ £33k for a late model.

what is strange is Rolex still make all these watch's and the older models have NOT gone up at all in the last year really, 50th LV still the same as they were 2 years back for a minter and Daytona late non Ceramic minters at £24k ish

I find it odd that new items have gone up so much but ones they don't make have not kept up in % terms, I have got the call twice in the last year for SS Rolex models so you do get them and most here have one or ten !! , my spend is small and I expect a call this year for one also.

All my new items are worth double+ seems backwards.

Also not to offend any one, but why has every SM POSTER got a two tone Rolex on, wtf is it with SM and all the two tones ? yes these guys cannot get a SS model as no past spend, but ffs the TT market is IN YOUR FACE on SM the last 6 months.
    To a point, my newer SS ones are NOS unworn in a safe, now investments !!, I wear a moon watch or sea master these days. time to cash out on the SS Rolex's, well maybe not just yet if we see a 10% Feb rise like Jan !! ...

Any one else shocked in the price rise the last 2 weeks ? when most thought it was at the top !

... and breathe.

Why play silly games when you could have bought a full set 1680 from 1978 on SC yesterday for under £15k and the bezel insert wasn’t made by Lego. There’s still a stunning 666 floating around. Go vintage

If you have one (or more) you are quids in, happy days, if you don’t there are other things to spend your hard earned on.
    I am not in the market for a Rolex but if I were I would be going vintage. The older models look much better than the over blown modern versions to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    If you have one (or more) you are quids in, happy days, if you don’t there are other things to spend your hard earned on.
    I am not in the market for a Rolex but if I were I would be going vintage. The older models look much better than the over blown modern versions to me.
    I have equal amounts of both. I must say the 41mm Sub is the best one, the quality fit & finish is far better than vintage, so newer is better imo and imo wear better (thinner) just imho and very subjective of course. rule out the maxi case items and all good mind you :-)

Yes happy days as my AD gets me item now and again it's nice to get the call. But it's got to the stage they are worth too much unworn new in box !

I thought we hit the limit but it seems the start of Feb has put price up 10% yet again !

Master
    PP and AP owners will be having a chortle at the Rolex peasants getting excited about paltry increases in value.
    Not worth logging in unless it's up 10K.

There is a danger that they will be seen as vulgar and bourgeois. Less a horological bastion but watch of choice of rappers, footballers and villains.

Like Bentley.

I've got an AP which I offered at X to a dealer in sept 2018. They didn't reply, presumably because my asking price was too high

Watch has sat in the safe since. I don't especially like it tbh. Now worth 3x more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    There is a danger that they will be seen as vulgar and bourgeois. Less a horological bastion but watch of choice of rappers, footballers and villains.

Like Bentley.
    is that the TT market :-) if chav and all gold if wealthy.

you never see SS models on rappers, footballers and villains as an example.

but yes an odd market esp watch's for men with diamonds on them !!! imho.

Master
    I want to own a new sub date but they are now at a price where I don't think id be comfortable wearing it even if I did get a call. If they keep increasing the list price as they have been I wont be able to afford one anyway.

Master
    If you care about this type of thing, its a big deal. Im glad I dont.

I simply dont see any value or enjoyment in any Rolex and havent for a long time. They are for showing off, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly!

Actually, many on here love Rolex price threads.

I have around 15 of them, and don't mind the increases at all - as said above, nothing like the pain when you eventually get the call on that Patek you've been waiting years for.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Why play silly games when you could have bought a full set 1680 from 1978 on SC yesterday for under £15k and the bezel insert wasn’t made by Lego. There’s still a stunning 666 floating around. Go vintage
    Or your old 5512 for similar Ken.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Or your old 5512 for similar Ken.
    If I had a spare £15k I’d be round tomorrow to get it back. As rare as hens teeth in the UK.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If I had a spare £15k I’d be round tomorrow to get it back. As rare as hens teeth in the UK.
    Ill hold onto it for you Ken.

Will it go up 4k a month!.

Who knows when it will all end. I had expected it to slow down around 6 months ago but they have just continued to rise & rise.

Anyone who has been able to purchase direct from an AD at retail over the past 18 months or so will have done very well indeed.

Craftsman
    Agreed the price has gone a bit bonkers. The same dealer offering x for one of my Rolexes in Dec is now offering £8k more (20% more).

we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

100% agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I find it quite a release. I can’t get a Rolex at list and I wasn’t going to pay last month’s prices let alone this month’s. Consequently, not stressing about whether I’ll get one and how much over list would I pay. Shame that’s where we’re at but there you go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    If you care about this type of thing, its a big deal. Im glad I dont.

I simply dont see any value or enjoyment in any Rolex and havent for a long time. They are for showing off, nothing more, nothing less.
    Agreed. I almost feel for people who really want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    . I must say the 41mm Sub is the best one, the quality fit & finish is far better than vintage, so newer is better imo and imo wear better (thinner) just imho and very subjective of course. rule out the maxi case items and all good mind you :-)
    Quite agree, 70 hour power reserve makes it an ideal watch to wear a couple of times a week and maintain time, and I much prefer 10 year service intervals to vintage models.

Remember the parts bin special AirKing 116900, check the prices over the last month!!

It's now called the "Bloodhound" and it might.....be discontinued

Can’t wait for prices to tumble and the speculators/chancers/runners to FO so I can actually buy some watches. This bubble, like my waist over lockdown, just keeps getting bigger. Relentless.

Prices on some references are being raised by £1,000 per week at Greys. Something has to give.

£24k for an unworn CHNR. They are going to hit a wall soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can’t wait for prices to tumble and the speculators/chancers/runners to FO so I can actually buy some watches. This bubble, like my waist over lockdown, just keeps getting bigger. Relentless.
    You'll have outgrown your Tesla long before Rolex prices tumble !

What's 'SM' mean?

I've said for a long time now that I'd like a no-date sub. I don't like the data cyclops personally, but the no-date is sexy. I still find it odd that I want to give a company over six grand for a watch, and not only am I not going to get one, but I actually can't even be bothered trying to get on a list as I don't want to be sneered at. I don't blame Rolex, the market has gone crazy, but it is an oddly perverse situation.

That said, six grand saved, probably better put towards paying off the mortgage anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    What's 'SM' mean?

I've said for a long time now that I'd like a no-date sub. I don't like the data cyclops personally, but the no-date is sexy. I still find it odd that I want to give a company over six grand for a watch, and not only am I not going to get one, but I actually can't even be bothered trying to get on a list as I don't want to be sneered at. I don't blame Rolex, the market has gone crazy, but it is an oddly perverse situation.

That said, six grand saved, probably better put towards paying off the mortgage anyway!
    Get yourself a BlackBay 58 and save yourself the extra expense and aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Remember the parts bin special AirKing 116900, check the prices over the last month!!

It's now called the "Bloodhound" and it might.....be discontinued
    Is this because Andy Green the Bloodhound pilot wears one? Its the only time I have seen this reference in the wild while photographing a private event where he was, it did look good I must say.

Richard Noble who was there was also sporting a Rolex, a white steel Daytona, perhaps we can call the 116520 - Thrust!

Just for the avoidance of doubt and so you understand that the reason isn't due to crazy exclusivity;

The reason you aren't able to buy a SS Sports Rolex is because the ADs are feeding many of them to Grey dealers and taking massive kick backs under the table. They are also getting sold to people like les Artisans Du Geneve etc. The Ads had to spend a ton of money making sure their Rolex displays are top notch and in the absence of having any actual Rolexes to sell they have to make their margins somewhere.

That's why when all is said and done if you want a Rolex in the quickest possible timeframe and don't have an extensive history with the AD then visit in person a Rolex Boutique (they will be super well regulated and absolutely not farming stuff out to greys) and start the conversation there. Yes they will be vetting you but as long as you don't come across like a complete c*ck (e.g. moaning about waitlists) or as a chancer ('Can I get a Pepsi, a Hulk and a Daytona please'?) then that's your best shot. Of course you will be behind the big spenders in the queue which is fair enough but at least you won't be fobbed off being on a non-existent list whereby the AD will just be sending the watches off to Greys anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Get yourself a BlackBay 58 and save yourself the extra expense and aggro.
    I have the big brother of the 58 and I do enjoy it. Could make room for both though
    But no aggro for me, I just find it all a bit odd.

Master
    the last month prices which I thought were bonkers before are now up daft %
    I told you so !

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5108116

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just for the avoidance of doubt and so you understand that the reason isn't due to crazy exclusivity;

The reason you aren't able to buy a SS Sports Rolex is because the ADs are feeding many of them to Grey dealers and taking massive kick backs under the table. They are also getting sold to people like les Artisans Du Geneve etc. The Ads had to spend a ton of money making sure their Rolex displays are top notch and in the absence of having any actual Rolexes to sell they have to make their margins somewhere.

That's why when all is said and done if you want a Rolex in the quickest possible timeframe and don't have an extensive history with the AD then visit in person a Rolex Boutique (they will be super well regulated and absolutely not farming stuff out to greys) and start the conversation there. Yes they will be vetting you but as long as you don't come across like a complete c*ck (e.g. moaning about waitlists) or as a chancer ('Can I get a Pepsi, a Hulk and a Daytona please'?) then that's your best shot. Of course you will be behind the big spenders in the queue which is fair enough but at least you won't be fobbed off being on a non-existent list whereby the AD will just be sending the watches off to Greys anyway.
    That has been debunked that ADs are selling directly to grey dealers.
    Might be happening here and there but not on a regular, consistent or substantial basis.
    HM might know better or any one connected to Rolex sales network.
    I have no inside knowledge of this but on the rare occasion that I visit TRF, I see that the AD selling to grey dealers theory is shot down immediately.
    All the conspiracy theories are pitiably laughable. The simple fact of the matter is there is substantial mismatch between supply and demand but no credible evidence that Rolex is restricting supply intentionally or that ADs are in cahoots with grey dealers or that if they are Rolex is turning a blind eye to it.
    Rolexes May not be exclusive ( if that is what you are after) but the fact is there are not enough Rolexes to satiate demand. And that demand could be due to a lot reasons- Veblen goods, social media hype, profiteers whoever.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 3rd February 2022 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That has been debunked that ADs are selling directly to grey dealers.
    Might be happening here and there but not on a regular, consistent or substantial basis.
    HM might know better or any one connected to Rolex sales network.
    I have no inside knowledge of this but on the rare occasion that I visit TRF, I see that the AD selling to grey dealers theory is shot down immediately.
    All the conspiracy theories are pitiably laughable. The simple fact of the matter is there is substantial mismatch between supply and demand but no credible evidence that Rolex is restricting supply intentionally or that ADs are in cahoots with grey dealers or that if they are Rolex is turning a blind eye to it.
    Rolexes May not be exclusive ( if that is what you are after) but the fact is there are not enough Rolexes to satiate demand. And that demand could be due to a lot reasons- Veblen goods, social media hype, profiteers whoever.
    I think this is more likely to be an accurate representation of what's really happening. Further, I doubt that ADs would have a hope in hell of feeding the grey dealers on anything more than a sporadic basis. Rolex aren't a stupid organisation and they wouldn't tolerate it.

What you're seeing is a free market at work. It isn't pretty but it's better than the alternative. (And, of course, they're only watches.)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Good idea. If you have a mortgage and debts you shouldn’t be wasting money on luxury toys

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you have a mortgage and debts you shouldn’t be wasting money on luxury toys
    Agreed.

I bet most of the people paying these inflated prices will be the ones with a mortgage and/or debts. It will be interesting to see what happens when the interest rates rise along side energy bills etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You'll have outgrown your Tesla long before Rolex prices tumble !
    Sadly this is true.

Craftsman

Just a thought - Last time I bought a Rolex from an AD the warranty was activated on-line at the point of sale with my details on it. So, surely Rolex can easily monitor sales are being conducted as per their policy and prevent underhand deals with Greys. Or, am I being naive?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

how do the Grey's get so many 2-3 month old watches, they surely can't all be flippers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    how do the Grey's get so many 2-3 month old watches, they surely can't all be flippers
    Reminds me of the Mrs Merton interview of Debbie Magee. “So what first drew you toward millionaire Paul Daniels”?

Journeyman
    Was offered a sub full set for £8k 6months ago and turned it down. Kicking myself now

Craftsman
    I'm on the fence with this.

On the one hand it's great because for once it's nice to know I'll not be taking a bath if I sell on any of my Rolex. On the other hand I have a 116622 that I just don't wear and I should really move it on for what I really want - but the fear of selling it too early means it's just sat there in my watch box while I still lust for and save for my Omega PO that I really want.

NB I went off my old 16610LV and flogged it for 4k. Never want to make that mistake again.

You really do talk horsesh1t

The AD’s are not selling to greys. Greys won’t be leveraged into buying other brands and jewellery to get a hot watch. That is exactly what the AD’s do with their customers

There is no shortage of the hot watches for the right customers. I know this first hand being with a friend picking up a Nautilus in steel at the AD. Cost of getting that … £250k spend over the last couple of years

The greys get their supply from these customers and the customers see it as a way of subsiding the mad spend they have to make. Even David Duggan states on his website that 99% of his stock comes from private individuals

Maybe you like to come up with these crazy theories as even with your 6 figure salary starting with a 2 you are out of that league.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I know this first hand being with a friend picking up a Nautilus in steel at the AD. Cost of getting that … £250k spend over the last couple of years
    As a matter of interest, what did he spend that £250k on? Watches or jewellery?

Craftsman
    Good idea. If you have a mortgage and debts you shouldn’t be wasting money on luxury toys

why, interest rates are 1.1 % if you got a good deal, you make >100% on a Sub 300% on a Daytona in 1 day, Rolex are NOT luxury goods any more it's an asset fund/business.

why would you pay off a mortage at 1.1% ? why even at 5% ? houses are cheap as chips if you are in one. i was around when rates were 15% !!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As a matter of interest, what did he spend that £250k on? Watches or jewellery?
    Rolex's :-)

money makes money.

while 70% people are thinking about a £1k gas bill rise the other 30% are making a LOT more money than ever.

they want to equal people out by 2030, the divide is getting bigger and bigger.
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 3rd February 2022 at 11:08.

I personally know someone who was sacked from a very large AD for selling to grey dealers. He used to take cash in return for supplying. The others doing the same at that AD were more careful and remain in their jobs many years later.

I also know someone else personally who buys 2-4 watches a month from WoS. He pays his sales guy with cash back handers.

I think a lot of this is happening. Why on earth would the £15ph sales assistant want to sell someone a Daytona at 10k when they will flip it for 15-20k profit? They want some of that action.

The sales people might not sell directly to grey dealers but they'll sell to their mate/family member and share the spoils.

This is not happening with every single watch that goes through an AD but I think it is happening a lot more than people like to think/admit to.

Grand Master
    why, interest rates are 1.1 % if you got a good deal, you make >100% on a Sub 300% on a Daytona in 1 day, Rolex are NOT luxury goods any more it's an asset fund/business.

why would you pay off a mortage at 1.1% ? why even at 5% ? houses are cheap as chips if you are in one. i was around when rates were 15% !!!
    Because at some point you might want to own it or like most just have a big one that belongs to the bank, a car thats rented, and a watch you are only wearing till you run out of money but at least the neighbours think you are rich even if its a Truman Show
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I personally know someone who was sacked from a very large AD for selling to grey dealers. He used to take cash in return for supplying. The others doing the same at that AD were more careful and remain in their jobs many years later.

I also know someone else personally who buys 2-4 watches a month from WoS. He pays his sales guy with cash back handers.

I think a lot of this is happening. Why on earth would the £15ph sales assistant want to sell someone a Daytona at 10k when they will flip it for 15-20k profit? They want some of that action.

The sales people might not sell directly to grey dealers but they'll sell to their mate/family member and share the spoils.

This is not happening with every single watch that goes through an AD but I think it is happening a lot more than people like to think/admit to.
    Not these days, the watch's goto the spenders. Staff don't flip watches to mates maybe 5 years back but not now, most sales have to go via head office.
    yes each staff member might get one a year but they wait like every one else just not as long.

The ave punter WILL NOT GET A SS ROLEX, you need a £80k spend these days or more. it's a business not a luxury item now. but the AD are making more money from this business so win win all round bar the ave punter who wants one. They WILL have to pay the overs.

Craftsman
    Because at some point you might want to own it or like most just have a big one that belongs to the bank, a car thats rented, and a watch you are only wearing till you run out of money but at least the neighbours think you are rich even if its a Truman Show
    Stupid people who pay overs on finance yes.

not the org buyers of this asset , they are making >£100k a year flipping prob already paid off their house and drive a £200k super car bought with cash.