closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donating Blood

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Whilst donating can be somewhat of a burden and at times hugely challenging. You are actually giving the gift of life.
    Please persevere with it.
    Many Thanks

B

SydR
    I gave blood twice, both many years ago.

The first was when the came to my then local community centre. I was told to roll a cylindrical object in my hand to aid blood flow before, almost immediately, being told to stop that and lie very still. My ex wife started her donation several minutes before me and was still there when I had completed. I passed out for a short while. The team put it down to me losing the blood too fast and suggested, the next time, to go to one of their centres. I’m not squeamish at all so was able to discount that.

Second time was at the centre in Glasgow and I explained the issue from the previous time. They took good care of me and monitored me throughout. Again the donation started off too quick to the partially clamped the line. Again I was faint at the end and was advised, as I have a common type, it was not in my own best interests to continue donating.

I’ve recently applied for a job with SNBTS ( Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service). If successful I may revisit the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That’s right Wiley, my son wants to start but he’s not good with the whole needle thing but I do think he will give it a go. It’s a nice thing to be able to do.
    It's the other way round for me. Absolutely can't stand the finger prick for the iron count, scares the life out of me. Worst part by miles!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Pity there's no cup of tea nowadays. There's an unlikely medical reason for it but I'm not going to sit and drink weak squash for 10 minutes afterwards.
    Yes Tea & Coffee were both available at Airbus Chester on Wednesday:)

Rather a bit of inconvenience donating than not available when it's needed to be honest, the system isn't perfect but what's the alternative...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Rather a bit of inconvenience donating than not available when it's needed to be honest, the system isn't perfect but what's the alternative...
    I have to agree, when we were in Lancashire I was turned down (/eg no slots available) more times than I donated. I even rang blood donation once to say the booking system was like tickets for Glastonbury. I would get a text with a donation date, on following the link all slots were allocated.

They claimed that folk were booking “their next” appt at the previous donation, rubbish, I have never been asked to re book. I even tried rocking up with no appointment, again that was a 50/50. Sometimes straight in with little wait, others go home after 60 min wait. You can only watch folk being processed who arrived half an hour after you for so long.

All I can say is Welsh blood from Wrexham seem good, so its probably a speckly regional performance, which is not good for such an important lifeline into the NHS.

I live near a large donor centre and if i book the first morning appointment i am out again in under 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Yes Tea & Coffee were both available at Airbus Chester on Wednesday:)
    They told me they can't do tea and coffee anymore when I gave blood on the 10th. Obviously different areas (or maybe even venues, I go to the local community hall for my sessions) have different rules.

The two times before my last donation they asked you to drink a pint of some foul pink drink.

I assume it had some kind of expected benefit over simple water that you have to lift blood pressure, but I was glad they'd gone back to plain water this time.

The drink before was definitely a disincentive to donating.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 28th January 2023 at 10:48.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I’ve just searched the app for an appointment- soonest appointment is 21st March in Ashford a 25 mile round trip
    Look like they’ve stopped donations where I live as the nearest venue is in Dover (between now and august) 16 miles round trip
    What a shame

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Been donating since I was allowed to at 18 onwards get called up a couple of times a year from the local hospital
    if you're afraid of needles you won't be anymore after the second or third go
    I get a kick out of seeing the blood fill up the bag and losing a pint always makes me feel better
    Best cure for a nagging headache...
    they offer orange juice and a biscuit now and a free lunch at the hospital canteen but they used to give out beers many many years ago

Gave yesterday and they made a comment that the blood was flowing out. Bag was done in minutes. I’m going to incorrectly guess it was all the red meat on the bbq the last week or two.

Does anyone know if they find something in your blood during testing if they let you or your gp know?

I have a family member who is producing either too much blood from his marrow or too much of one blood cell type from his marrow and he’s going for blood cancer tests at the minute. I’m wondering if something like that would be picked up when donating?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Gave yesterday and they made a comment that the blood was flowing out. Bag was done in minutes. I’m going to incorrectly guess it was all the red meat on the bbq the last week or two.

Does anyone know if they find something in your blood during testing if they let you or your gp know?

I have a family member who is producing either too much blood from his marrow or too much of one blood cell type from his marrow and he’s going for blood cancer tests at the minute. I’m wondering if something like that would be picked up when donating?
    Pretty sure I´ve heard that they let you- your Doc know if something is found...unless it´s an urban legend...if you´ve doubts- questions speak to your Doc I guess is foolproof.

Nice badge in the post for the 10th donation. Long way to get to 25 donations which is the next milestone for silver. Probably about 3.5-4 years!

Master
    Nice badge in the post for the 10th donation. Long way to get to 25 donations which is the next milestone for silver. Probably about 3.5-4 years!
    Well done a selfless act that could benefit more than one person.

I gave last week and whilst googling “ how long before I can exercise again” I stumbled into all manner of positive benefits for the donor from reduced blood pressure reduced heart issues and a bonus 500 calories of dieting. On a more serious note it also prevents build up of iron in the body.

So win win in my book, even if I did feel like sh1t the following day when I went cycling :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well done a selfless act that could benefit more than one person.

I gave last week and whilst googling “ how long before I can exercise again” I stumbled into all manner of positive benefits for the donor from reduced blood pressure reduced heart issues and a bonus 500 calories of dieting. On a more serious note it also prevents build up of iron in the body.

So win win in my book, even if I did feel like sh1t the following day when I went cycling :)
    I used to feel terrible after donating but recently and get headache but now eat red meat before donating, only one coffee that day, and lots of water the entire day, not just an hour before going in. Night and day difference.

Cycling the next day probably not amazing but a morning donation might counter it.

Good for us, helps others, cost nothing. No idea why I didn’t do it sooner.

Master
    Well done
    Just returned from my 61st donation - thought I’d time how long it took to actually take the blood 4 min 50 seconds
    The best side benefit is eating posts of crap and not feeling too guilty
    My next is the emerald at 75
    Last edited by lewie; 4th August 2023 at 16:17.

Master
    Donors are definitely under appreciated. I can’t, for various reasons, but admire hugely those who take the time and effort to donate for the benefit of others.

I'm supposed to give blood on Tuesday, but the last two appointments have been cancelled by the NHS at the last minute, which is both disappointing and frustrating, especially when you get a text the day before saying how important your blood group is at the moment...

Hopefully, I'll get to give this time.

Master
    Well done mate, I’ve tried many times but keep passing out waiting. I have a fear of needles that is making my hands drip just talking about it.

I know it does so much good for so many, I have no idea if I can sign something saying take my blood while I’m passed out. It feels so wrong.

First tried at uni, 30 years since the same happens each time.

Covid jabs have been so much fun over the last few years, after the queue and before the injection I already look like I’ve showered in my clothes. Not a pretty sight.

Wish I could do it, as it has so much benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Well done mate, I’ve tried many times but keep passing out waiting. I have a fear of needles that is making my hands drip just talking about it.

I know it does so much good for so many, I have no idea if I can sign something saying take my blood while I’m passed out. It feels so wrong.

First tried at uni, 30 years since the same happens each time.

Covid jabs have been so much fun over the last few years, after the queue and before the injection I already look like I’ve showered in my clothes. Not a pretty sight.

Wish I could do it, as it has so much benefit.

Worst bit for me is always the finger prick, really can’t stand that.

Tried to give platelets but veins aren’t good enough. You need the drainpipe veins of a body builder for that.

Great stuff peeps and love the badge.

I have another test in a couple weeks and already know I need a top up having put off the last one.

Those that give really are saving a life.

Thank you

B

My great uncle wore his donation badge with pride when I was a kid (I don't recall how many it was for, but it would have been a lot, as he gave blood during WW2, I think, being in a reserved occupation).

I've given 40 odd times now, not starting until I was in my late 40s after being bullied into going along to a session on spec by a colleague.

I must admit to being a bit apprehensive, but it's no effort, you just lie there for a few minutes, read a book and then have a drink and a biscuit after.

Everyone should try it, at least, IMO.

M

Master
    I think a lot depends on how “ efficient “ the local BT group are local to you as mentioned above.

One of my first employers Unilever , had BT taking donations in the canteen all day. So it was effortless to give. Fast forward to whilst I lived close to Burnley. I was turned away a number of times as they were” booked up” . Other times I waited 90 mins just to be screened eg pin prick. As a result over probably 20 years I gave a handful of times.

Now in North Wales I get texts advising me of dates, I can pick any number of suitable times and lastly Im in and out in probably 30 mins. Result Im back to donating 3 or4 times per year

Hoping they have some club orange bars when I’m done

Well Done. Enjoy the biscuit

Master

Well done sir.

For someone who gets clammy around a needle, that photo should be in the bear pit lol.

Donating Blood

I’m at pint 30. Would be more, but had a few tattoos and you need an amount of time between them and donations.

My father nearly got to 100, but got old and unwell - so they didn’t want his blood!

Mine has some specific antibody in it that means it gets fast-tracked to neo-natal wards, as they need this for the super-little babies or something.
    I cannot tell you how good I feel every donation.

I think it should be incentivised by employers. Half day buckshee to either donate in work time or if you do it outside of work, POETS day.

I also think the old blood vans should get around businesses more. I am pushing this at my org at the moment, see if they will buy in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 12th October 2023 at 19:54.

Thank you to everyone who donates not only blood but other related products like plasma etc. When I was diagnosed with lymphoma the treatment I recieved necessitated having regular blood and plasma transfusions without which I would have died.

These donations literally save lives.

Thank you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I’m at pint 30. Would be more, but had a few tattoos and you need an amount of time between them and donations.

My father nearly got to 100, but got old and unwell - so they didn’t want his blood!

Mine has some specific antibody in it that means it gets fast-tracked to neo-natal wards, as they need this for the super-little babies or something.
    I cannot tell you how good I feel every donation.

I think it should be incentivised by employers. Half day buckshee to either donate in work time or if you do it outside of work, POETS day.

I also think the old blood vans should get around businesses more. I am pushing this at my org at the moment, see if they will buy in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Love the fact you have super blood, thank you for your contributions, must be amazing knowing it helps so many babies, wow!

It’s funny you say how good you feel after you donate, I feel exactly the same. Weirdly I think donating blood is the most selfish thing I do. I probably get more out of it than whoever gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanKing View Post
    Thank you to everyone who donates not only blood but other related products like plasma etc. When I was diagnosed with lymphoma the treatment I recieved necessitated having regular blood and plasma transfusions without which I would have died.

Thank you.
    That's a really nice post to read.

It’s funny you say how good you feel after you donate, I feel exactly the same. Weirdly I think donating blood is the most selfish thing I do. I probably get more out of it than whoever gets it.
    I know exactly where you are coming from.

There is a strange feeling of 'inner fulfilment' from donating - and I don't mean the tea and biscuits!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanKing View Post

Thank you.
    I gave blood for decades, then tried to give plasma. Because the nurse thought she could detect a marginally irregular heartbeat I was stopped from donating plasma and immediately struck off the blood donation system; I got a letter 2 days later saying that I was banned.

After just under three years of tests/scans/7-day monitors etc the doctors (who seem to love to have a pincushion to practice on) decided that there was actually nothing wrong with my heart, it just has a slightly non-standard beat and has had all my life - hey, a jazz heart - but "just to be on the safe side" stuck me on beta blockers, which made me feel shit and almost pass out. My blood pressure had dropped to 90/60, with a pulse of 43. After being told that this was the low dose beta-blocker and they intended to double it over the coming months, I stopped taking them and will refuse any further 'helpful' suggestions from the NHS in this regard. And I'm still banned from giving blood.

I know they were trying to help, but I'm still angry about it.

Master
    It may be something to do with the body going into overdrive to produce a nice fresh pint to replace the one taken.👍

What watch you wearing Wiley ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I know exactly where you are coming from.

There is a strange feeling of 'inner fulfilment' from donating - and I don't mean the tea and biscuits!
    Fully agree, only regret is I didn’t start sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What watch you wearing Wiley ?
    Had to slum it with this one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well done
    Just returned from my 61st donation - thought I’d time how long it took to actually take the blood 4 min 50 seconds
    The best side benefit is eating posts of crap and not feeling too guilty
    My next is the emerald at 75
    Ditto, yesterday was my 61st donation,
    slight disappointment at the lack of TUC crackers though, had to settle for mini cheddars

My parents always donated when I was younger and I followed suit as soon as I could,
    always worth it when the text message comes through saying where/when your donation was actually used.

keep up the good work folks

I've donated quite a few times now, but still don't watch the needle go in.

As the staff are usually really good, I didn't realise how big the needles were until I one day looked away from my arm and saw the needle going in someone else's!

My daughter has a real needle phobia, so she would probably pass out if she saw one of these!

M

Im booked in tomorrow to let out some high quality B-Neg.

I should do it more often if truth be told but its difficult getting convenient slots

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    Im booked in tomorrow to let out some high quality B-Neg.
    Surely you mean 6↑B-Neg?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    This is a very good thread for me. I used to donate blood when I was in the army and later I added a few years. But somehow, it slipped away. Simply without an excuse. And this thread makes me think 'why not start again'! Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Ditto, yesterday was my 61st donation,
    slight disappointment at the lack of TUC crackers though, had to settle for mini cheddars

My parents always donated when I was younger and I followed suit as soon as I could,
    always worth it when the text message comes through saying where/when your donation was actually used.

keep up the good work folks
    7 days later...
    Makes a couple of hours out of your life worthwhile