closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating Blood

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Donating Blood

As a regular recipient of donations, I wondered what peoples thoughts were?

Despite the historical issues with blood donations and how blood products have been procured in the past and the horror that has come to light in recent years. I wonder what peoples thoughts were?

In my opinion donations being made freely and with out cash rewards has helped the service and quality of the products, whilst at times stocks have been low, they always seem to deliver.

Should we continue as we are, should Employers give staff time off for donating as some larger organisations facilitate or should we offer financial rewards for donating as it would seem donations have dropped in recent years.

I have benefited hugely from the service since 1991 and am extremely grateful for all those that give up their time and donate.

Thank you to those that donate, you really do save lives.

Master
    I’ve donated for some years (58 donations)
    When I 1st started I worked for RM in a mail centre and we had a lorry attend and we were let off work to make the donations
    I’ve carried in ever since - now I’m retired. The resources seem strained and it’s quite difficult to get an appointment every 3 months
    I lost a friend back in the early ‘90’s, a haemophiliac and was a victim of the contaminated blood scandal- he was just in his 20’s
    I’ll continue to do this as long as I can and would like ideally to do it more frequently- I’ve roped in both my girls too
    It’s a great feeling when you hear that the bloods been used

Journeyman
    Likewise. Gave my first pint in 1984 under gentle coercion from my lecturer at college who said if I wanted help with my project he was just off to donate and I'd have to accompany him. I thought I was scared of needles but I looked the other way, a practice I continued.

I remember when AIDS was first in the news the service advised anyone who had more than one partner in the last 6 months not to donate. Having attended a previously packed session the next one was deserted. I imagined some couples having an awkward conversation about why they didn't want to go that evening! Anyway the policy didn't last very long at all after that.

Fast forward to now and I've had enough to be frank. Every few months some new hoop to jump through gets introduced. What used to be a no messing, quick in and out has become a tedious chore.

Master
    I haven’t donated in some time but would like to start again. How complicated is the current process?

i donated for many years (up to the covid outbreak) - max 4 times a year , though tbh ive not been for a while now due to booking a slot in advance getting there and waiting up to 40 mins over my slot time - which was defeating the object of booking it in the first place (this happened multiple times at my local venue ).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I haven’t donated in some time but would like to start again. How complicated is the current process?
    You may be pleasantly suprised. The blood transfusion service have certainly moved more towards appointments rather than drop in.

When you turn up at your appt time , you will be given a sanitized Ipad and asked to review questions and select yes or no. Then the finger prick as before. Then off to the chair! Yes the beds are gone. You sit in a reclining chair , give blood then tea and biccies like in the past.

My last giving was prob 40 mins max from entry to leaving.

Steve

I used to donate until I started travelling to countries where they wouldn't let me donate for a set period after I returned.

However 2020 I was on the receiving end of quite a few units of blood that ultimately saved my life.

So thank you to all that still donate blood.

Mark

If it changes from a voluntary service, I think that is a regression from the principle that has kept it going for so long.

Monetising this kind of thing is the edge of the whirlpool.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 2nd February 2022 at 00:14.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    You may be pleasantly suprised. The blood transfusion service have certainly moved more towards appointments rather than drop in.

When you turn up at your appt time , you will be given a sanitized Ipad and asked to review questions and select yes or no. Then the finger prick as before. Then off to the chair! Yes the beds are gone. You sit in a reclining chair , give blood then tea and biccies like in the past.

Steve
    Well that’s totally different to my experience
    No iPad - the old paper sheet that’s sent in the post- I arrived on time but waited 15 mins outside before I could get in( yes it was cold)
    Turn around for me was about 1:20hr - I probably take litrally 5 minutes to actually donate - I’m sure it could be made easier

I’m donating for the third or fourth time in two weeks. My employer gives two charity days per year off so I’ve been using a half day every three months to give.

While I don’t think people should be paid I do avoid certain donation centres due to strong parking fees.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well that’s totally different to my experience
    No iPad - the old paper sheet that’s sent in the post- I arrived on time but waited 15 mins outside before I could get in( yes it was cold)
    Turn around for me was about 1:20hr - I probably take litrally 5 minutes to actually donate - I’m sure it could be made easier
    Local to me is a drop in 2 to 3 times a month - usually a couple of people waiting, but free tea/coffee and no more than 15-20 mins in total.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

While I don’t think people should be paid I do avoid certain donation centres due to strong parking fees.
    You’d think this could be waivered

I was taken along by a colleague at my old job and donated for 10 years or so . Was always very painless and felt virtuous, especially as being i negative there was always an added bonus as I was often the baby pack , or so I was told :) . Always a test to see how quickly could pump my bag out. Not donated in about 5years or so , should really get around to it again. Cannot see any downsides to donating ..

Master
    As a life long recipient of blood products I’m extremely grateful to the Uk donation system.👎

As a recipient of American contaminated blood products infected with HIV and HepC, as you may guess I’m not a fan of that system and neither were my many friends that have died👎

The contaminated blood inquiry continues and after almost 40 years of living with HIV, I await its outcome with interest.

To all those that donate, I thank you😎😎

*totally misread that (its early)

I find the process quite slick these days. They’ve taken over a vacant unit in a local shopping centre (Livingston Scotland), appointment only and no waiting around - in and out in 30 minutes. Go do it folks - free chocolate biscuit!

Master
    Thank you to all who donate. You’ve been part of a team that’s saved me several times.

This has prompted me to book an appointment, not been since the pandemic started

Master

Steve
    Thanks, that is reassuring. If only they gave you a Guinness like they used to back in the day in Ireland. https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-26643217.html

Master
    Slightly unrelated, but can anyone remind me of which female comedian it was that told a story about a gentlemen taking out on a date for tea and biscuits.

She then reflected it was very nice and she’d not given blood before.

Who was it ?

I started with whole blood donations and then switched quite quickly to platelets, which allowed me to donate much more frequently (I seem to recall it was every couple of weeks?). I worked in Cambridge which was where the platelet donation centre was based, so it was pretty convenient.
    I had to give up the platelets in the end as I had a few failed sessions with clotting in my arm meaning they had to stop the donation early.

I would 100% encourage anyone to give it a try, whether whole blood or platelets. It really is pretty straightforward and painless process.

I always left with a very warming sense of selflessness but feel that would be lacking if donations were financially incentivised. For me the offer of money would probably stop me wanting to donate.

I donated regularly for a few years, but for the last few times I've tried to book I've not been able to get any appointments at any local stations, and future registrations were closed. I'm surprised to hear that donations across the UK are down.

Sent using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I donated regularly for a few years, but for the last few times I've tried to book I've not been able to get any appointments at any local stations, and future registrations were closed. I'm surprised to hear that donations across the UK are down.

Sent using Tapatalk
    I think it depends where you live Cyclone. I echo totally your comments, when I lived in East Lancashire I had exactly that experience. I would get a text saying give blood and follow the link or phone. In both cases all appointments had gone. Nett result I went for about 5/6years with no donations. I even asked them why the farce, their response was most people book their following appt at donation !

I moved to Wales and it couldn’t be more different, “when would you like, morning or afternoon” easy peasy. So three donations in 18 months.

Master
    I donated regularly when I lived in the UK, I didn't give it a 2nd thought and I saw it as a civic duty. It took 30 minutes out of my life every 6 months and it might help to save someone's life - so it was a complete no brainer, particularly as I have a fairly rare blood type.

However, Brits are often blocked from giving blood when we move abroad - I live in France, and I am not allowed to donate as I could be riddled with mad cow disease. C'est la vie, but I should be moving back to the UK in a couple of years, and I have recently developed an auto immune problem so I'll have to investigate as to whether I'll be allowed to donate or not.

Donating Blood

Good to read different stories and if it only gets the message out there then it’s a positive. As I’ve read it’s generated a donation so that’s even better.

By coincidence this is on tonight and so far its a good watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

We are England - Life Blood

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 2nd February 2022 at 21:30.

Yep - this thread prompted me to book my next appointment for Friday afternoon.

I agree with the civic duty element, and offering payment could even lead to untruths on the health questionnaire

Craftsman
    I’ve been a regular donor for years - tried switching to platelets but it made me faint on the first go so I’ve gone back to whole blood which I’ve never had a problem with

Donating Blood

Yeh, I do. It was easier when it was just turn up and wait (IMO) but if I am organised then it works well enough (here in Notts at least).

I was told about 10 donations ago that I had some rare antibody in my blood that is needed for transfusions for babies. Mine is fast-tracked to paediatric wards wherever needed.

I cried my eyes out when they told me (half way through a donation!) and have tried to keep up regular donations as often as I can.

Payment - that somehow seems a bit grubby??
    But it is all about donations, however it works. The more the merrier. Preferably remain as is and support it in other ways
    Employers should be obligated to support through time off - it is such a small impact to them comparatively speaking.

I asked my employer some years ago if they would support some sort of mobile donation program at their facilities, but I need to follow up on it - not sure if it is even a thing, mobile donation centres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 3rd February 2022 at 23:20.

Craftsman
    I'm also a regular donator. I used to work a few minutes walk from the donation center in Sheffield so just used to pop in but working from home I go to the regular mobile donation center at a local church. I've been in and out in 1/2 hour before and they even call me to arrange my next donation if I forget to book. I think for the sake of 30 mins of my time (and nice to be out of the house nowadays) the potential impact far outweighs the input. They even text you to tell you where your donation was used, Royal Bolton and Royal Hallamshire were my last two, which is also nice to hear.

I'd like to think people give altruistically, but I'm not surprised levels are declining.

People, generally, seem less generous, especially of their time.

Sometimes, though, I can't get a space at my local donation centres, so I guess people round here are still going.

Payments would be small and probably attract a degree of 'the wrong type' as it has in the US where contamination has been a huge issue.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 11th February 2022 at 21:50.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Well had to return and have a couple more units recently and had a slight issue due to availability of the units required as I’ve now got antibodies 2% of my group are compatible now.

If you’re sitting on the fence and haven’t donated then please consider it, if you haven’t booked a donation please do so via the link below.

https://www.blood.co.uk/

We need more O negative, B negative and A negative donors.

Thanks

B

Donated the other week and have another donation booked in for August which is my earliest donation date.

Costs us nothing but means the world to someone else. Quite nice they tell you where your blood went.

Might get get more donations if you could just turn up when they were in town (as used to be the case) rather than having to book 3 months ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Might get get more donations if you could just turn up when they were in town (as used to be the case) rather than having to book 3 months ahead.
    Plenty available today.

The only reason I have to wait until august is I’ve just donated.

I would certainly say that things have improved immensely with the donation service in recent years, and I have plenty of experience to call upon!

I too started donating through the lorry coming into work, when I was persuaded by colleagues to go along. I have never looked back and switched to platelets about ten years ago. I am trying to get to 200 donations by the end of 2022 (19 whole blood and the rest multiple platelet donations). The platelets have to be taken at one of 23 hospital donor centres and I go to Southampton. They take a couple of hours, as the process is a bit more complicated than whole blood, but you do get fed and watered whilst you are there. As mentioned above, the process isn't for everyone, but seeing as each platelet donation can help up to 6 people and I often give 3 units in one sitting (known as 'a triple'), I get a very nice feeling thinking about the number of patients that I am helping and need to monetary incentive to keep doing it. My employer also gives me up to 3 days a year to attend the sessions (so effectively 6 per year, as they take about half a day out of my working calendar when I take into account travel time)

The donor centres are definitely more organised than they were, with Southampton benefiting now from a new computer system to log you in and keep track of you as you get screened and then plumbed into the machine. As also mentioned above, as a registered donor I also now get a thank you textl and then details of where my donations have been sent for use. This all helps to make me feel valued and want to continue, as I've probably donated to most of the hospitals across the south of England at some point.

I would definitely encourage anyone to give whole blood donation a try and, for those that already do this, ask about platelet or even plasma donation when you next give blood, and see whether this could work for you. It's not for everyone, but with only around 15,000 platelet donors covering the whole country, the more people who join up, the better. 70% of platelets are given to cancer patients, so you can really make a difference...

Phil

If in Scotland: https://www.scotblood.co.uk/
    I donated last week - made an appointment on the website and was in and out (with my Tunnocks Tea Cake) in under 30 minutes

I regularly donated plasma until our centre (along with most others) was recently closed. There are now only 3 centres so out of the question for most people.

Administration of this was not as slick as experiences detailed above would have it. For example default appointment notification was by letter which would invariably arrive after I’d attended and the app is useless.

Prompted by this thread I have just re-registered with the Blood Donation Service and tried to make an appointment locally.

There are no available appointments whatsoever for the period available for booking (ie the next 4 months) !
    Wow. I did not expect that.

Master
    Just had an email cancelling my next donation on the 29th - the next appoint in my town is 21st of October- crazy

One million new blood donors needed over next 5 years

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/news/nation...-next-5-years/

B

Got my next appt second week of August.

Just got the bronze card in the post so need to donate another 5 times including Aug to hit the next milestone.

Unbelievably helpful and beneficial to others yet costs us nothing. Wish I started sooner.

Master
    This is becoming a real fiasco now and actually putting me off donating
    Was due to donate my 60th donation this afternoon- literally had a text an hour ago saying due to staffing it’s cancelled
    Next appointment in my town 17th March at 18:40 and 18:45- I don’t want an evening appointment
    I got to my last appointment which was in December (mid afternoon) as I arrived I saw no spare chairs and they said it was an hour plus wait before I’d be seen (I didn’t have a couple of spare hours so I left)
    The previous 2 appointments were both cancelled on the day
    Last edited by lewie; 27th January 2023 at 15:33.

COVID has undoubtedly had an impact on availability of staff, but there is another more obvious reason, but G&D rules prevent me from mentioning it.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I used to donate but with one thing and another it just fizzled out.

I just started again and gave my first donation for many years a couple of weeks ago. I just had an email to tell me my blood group and that it is less than 1 in 13 that have it and is often used for people with sickle cell, my sons housemate suffers with sickle cell so it felt particularly pertinent.

My blood ended up at St. Barts, next session already booked.

You must be B+ Greg. I'm B+ too and due to next give on Tuesday. This will be my 8th donation.

Post-covid it isn't always the easiest to give but what a thing to give someone which costs us nothing.

Master
    Donated on Wednesday of this week. Couldn’t have been easier , probably 30 mins from reception to leaving. If you donated in the past there has been a lot of changes. You sit in reclining chairs, all questions are done through an ipad/ tablet, they give you a pint of soft drink as you arrive and a drink after donating ( plus biscuit’s).

Im A- which apparently it a jack of all trades blood type, bit like me!

Donating Blood

I guess when they’re really in need they throw more resource at it, so don’t be too disheartened. In and out in 30 minutes here

Pity there's no cup of tea nowadays. There's an unlikely medical reason for it but I'm not going to sit and drink weak squash for 10 minutes afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You must be B+ Greg. I'm B+ too and due to next give on Tuesday. This will be my 8th donation.

Post-covid it isn't always the easiest to give but what a thing to give someone which costs us nothing.
    That’s right Wiley, my son wants to start but he’s not good with the whole needle thing but I do think he will give it a go. It’s a nice thing to be able to do.

Donated on Wednesday of this week. Couldn’t have been easier , probably 30 mins from reception to leaving. If you donated in the past there has been a lot of changes. You sit in reclining chairs, all questions are done through an ipad/ tablet, they give you a pint of soft drink as you arrive and a drink after donating ( plus biscuit’s).

Im A- which apparently it a jack of all trades blood type, bit like me!
    The iPad thing obviously isn't universal.

I gave blood earlier this month and I had the regular forms in the post to complete.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk