closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dot & Dab

Master

Dot & Dab

I’m currently in the middle of a large extension / renovation and I’m at the point of the boarding going on.

My budget has been obliterated and I’m on to be about 100k over my initial estimate by the time I’m moved in and it’s fully complete. So I’m thinking I can at least save a few 000 if I don’t and dab the boards myself.

I’ve already done the partition boarding which is fairly simple but I’ve never dot and dabbed onto brick which is the bulk of the work.

Anyone had a go over large areas and had success ? I’ve YouTubed and it looks fairly straightforward but I’m thinking over bog spans I could get myself into a mess.

Any tips advice or is the advice to swallow the cost and pay a dry lining team.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    How straight are the walls?? You'll need a decent straight steel, at least a couple meters to make sure you aren't running out of true / level.

I've done a small area on pretty good walks. It is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It’s easy ,but if you ain’t sure ,buy some tile batten and screw that to wall and then screw plaster boards to them .
    Don’t think they will be much difference in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Its not hard but it does require some skills, if you accept the risk of it not quite being there, the skimmers may twig and moan or ask for more money, you could blow up your mixing drill then go for it.
    Be organised and tidy, the adhesive seems to wander about and get every where, It is decent to work with and has a good open time to adjust boards. Expect to hit the boards harder than you would think with the edge and there is a knack to bring the flat surface to bear.

You will need a full bead of adhesive all along the top and bottom and around socket and light switch back boxes for air tightness.

There are good vids on youtube for tips .

Master
    You will probably save enough to have 3 attempts so go fit it.

Master
    Be prepared for lots of repairs in the future. I've seen cracks and holes where minor bumps and scrapes have dented or punctured the walls. Even leaning against a wall can cause a crack or fracture.

Fixing onto battens is very much easier.

Master
    If inexperienced then fixing timbers to the wall is preferable as you have no time constraint. With dot and dab you have to get it fixed pdq else it goes off on you and be careful how much you mix. You will need a paddle mixer as a drill does not have enough low end torque and will likely burn out. I did some dot and dabbing when doing my cottage up, it's messy and stressful. Let the plasterer do it if funds allow.

Journeyman
    Dot and dab is crap if you plan to stay in the property id get them hardwalled. Wont be a massive cost difference.