closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kind of SOTC - the main three watch collection...

Master

Kind of SOTC - the main three watch collection...

After a period of abstinence of a few years I have given in to temptation and added a couple of watches, with a view to creating my version of the ideal, for me, three watch collection, as my tastes have evolved a little. I have other watches in the box that are now neglected but ignoring those and ignoring the Casio MTG-1500B that serves as a rather exceptional beater, I now have a core of three watches that are, I think, coherent as a group.

The coherence comes from them all being modern autos/mechanicals with a vintage/classic vibe. They are all between 37mm and 40mm and, to my mind, pretty pure expressions of what they are. They are, in terms of many on this forum, relatively modest, and in vaguely similar price brackets. It means none is inevitably neglected when their appropriateness for an occasion overlaps, and none makes me feel self-conscious or nervous to wear.

One is a diver, one a dress watch and one a chronograph but all three can be worn in a work/social environment depending on where in the smart casual to smart scale I am that day. A couple also work casually, with/without a strap change. I think they make a nice set, within my chosen parameters, if perhaps a little sensible for some. They are:

1. The dress watch: grand seiko sbgw231. Only got it today, so being a little premature in confirming its place, perhaps, but it's just great and will be worn much more than its "dress" label would imply - the off-white/creamy dial and slightly controversial height actually make it rather flexible (especially with strap options) and it's beautiful in real life. I also have a vintage birth year Omega Seamaster 600 which is similar in many ways, but the GS is a little more substantial and just oozes class. It will therefore be worn very frequently, whereas the Omega always feels too slight and dainty to me. The thickness (due in part to the high crystal and the 72 hour movement) works for me (an over-thin watch is not ideal when you have plentiful arm hair...).

2 The diver/all-rounder: Tudor Black Bay 58. Works in almost any environment and happy on bracelet and leather (although I tend to keep it on the bracelet, as I find strap changing on this one a bit painful). If in doubt, this one comes out of the box.

3. The chronograph: Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope. Had it for twelve years and still love it. Always makes me happy, especially the number 4, although appreciating that does now require me to reach for the glasses...

So I'm happy again for now. Some pics, although they are hardly unfamilar models.

Craftsman
    Interesting collection and nice choices. I am also trying a three watch collection for size, having completely overhauled by larger collection in the past few months. Out have gone several Omegas and Tudors (vintage and newer) and in has come an IWC UTC, Reverso and Zenith Defy Classic skeleton. I still might scratch the itch for a diver or chrono but am very happy with the variety of the three watch collection atm. All should see more time on the wrist as well.

Craftsman
    Nice set of 3 watches.
    I don't think there is a better looking watch than the Max Bill Chrono despite not owning one. I should probably scratch the itch at least with a 3-hander.

Great collection, something for all occasions.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who wouldn’t be happy with those three?

i like the idea of keeping things at 3 watches, this is a nice trio