closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Barry Cryer

Master

RIP Barry Cryer

A proper comedy legend.
    Last edited by David_D; 27th January 2022 at 11:42.

Blog Entries
    Funny bones

RIP Baz.

Sad news - Always funny.

RIP

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Oh no! A legend

A true comedy legend, behind some of the best sketches ever.

Master
    A very funny man and will be missed RIP Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A great loss to comedy. The parrot from the brothel makes me crease everytime. RIP

Master
    I nearly killed Barry at the BBC many years ago - meeting an absolute hero at the top of some stairs I exclaimed, 'Barry Cryer!' (I know, I know...) which startled the great man so much he stepped back and was only saved from plummeting back down the stairs by me grabbing his jacket and hoisting him back on to the landing. I'd like to say we laughed about it, but... He thanked me and shuffled off, clearly muttering the words 'crazy fans' and 'restraining order'.

As it turned out, we used to live quite close to one another (coincidentally, not through stalking), and I would see him around quite a bit, on the H14 bus or drinking in the Wetherspoons (I know, I know...) at Hatch End - I chose never to remind him of the story.

Really sad news. I was honoured to have been presented with a trophy by him at a rather prestigious event in London a number of years back. A very humorous and generally nice guy. RIP Barry, and thanks for the memory.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I loved Barry, his wit, sense of humour and his laugh! I saw him, and the much put upon Colin Sell, several times at the Festival. One year, a friend of mine rushed back from the gents; "Barry Cryer was having a slash in the next stall, he said hello to me!" It was the highlight of his festival. :)

86 is a very good innings and his family know how much he was admired and loved.

He's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Especially on ISIHAC.

That's a sad one :-(
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

RIP Barry.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I've reached the age now when, when someone in their advancing years passes on, I work out how long ago it was when they were my present age.

Really sad to hear this. Fond memories of Joker's Wild, and of course ISIHAC.

I can feel a round of Mornington Crescent coming on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    I nearly killed Barry at the BBC many years ago - meeting an absolute hero at the top of some stairs I exclaimed, 'Barry Cryer!' (I know, I know...) which startled the great man so much he stepped back and was only saved from plummeting back down the stairs by me grabbing his jacket and hoisting him back on to the landing. I'd like to say we laughed about it, but... He thanked me and shuffled off, clearly muttering the words 'crazy fans' and 'restraining order'.

As it turned out, we used to live quite close to one another (coincidentally, not through stalking), and I would see him around quite a bit, on the H14 bus or drinking in the Wetherspoons (I know, I know...) at Hatch End - I chose never to remind him of the story.
    I never nearly killed him, though I too did see him on the overground (slow) train from Euston to Watford Junction quite often in the afternoons. As you say, he would get off at Hatch End.

Whenever I saw him and caught his eye, I would always smile and nod a greeting in acknowledgement - being the gentleman he was, he would always return the gesture. I now wish I took the opportunity to speak to him - I never did as I didn't want to bother him (TBH he did look quite tired by that time of day).

RIP Mr Cryer.

Thank you for the laughter, Barry. RIP Sir.

"A man drives down a country lane and runs over a cockerel. He knocks at a nearby farmhouse door and a woman answers.
    " 'I appear to have killed your cockerel,' he says. 'I'd like to replace it.' The woman replies: 'Please yourself - the hens are round the back.'"

Craftsman
    Brilliant writer and comedian. Sad news.

Funny man. RIP
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    He wrote and co-wrote an awful lot of comedy script, one of Britain’s best who will be sorely missed.

RIP Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    He wrote and co-wrote an awful lot of comedy script, one of Britain’s best who will be sorely missed.

RIP Barry

Exactly - not in the public eye so much laterly - but in the background writing scripts for the best of the best.

A genuinely funny guy!

Master
    Great man, super talent, sad day.

My favourite joke of his:

A man goes into a restaurant with a whole salmon. He asks the manager," do you do fish cakes?" The manager replies, "sorry, no sir". Many says, "Shame, it's his birthday".

I find it impossible to read, or indeed simply think about, any of his lines without hearing his distinctive voice.

"They went round the back of the greenhouse so he could show her his hollyhocks." <The faintest of pauses, impeccably timed.> "She was very disappointed." <Another slight pause.> "She had been hoping to see his genitalia."

For some reason this one seemed to particularly set the ISIHAC audience off that day. Eventually the laughter began to subside as he mused aloud, "Sometimes that one works, and sometimes it doesn't. You just can't tell."

A true master of his profession. Perhaps there should be a 'Favourite Barry Cryer joke' thread.

https://youtu.be/WtUMFdS-0IA

Barry on great form.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Great man, have loved Clue for 30 years - never tired of it. Glad i got to see him in 2017 on one of the Clue tours. I loved the fact he had a really loud laff so you could hear he enjoyed the other panellists jokes as well.

Master
    They played his self-obituary on Eddie Mair on LBC last night - had me in stitches. He just made you laugh.
    What a sad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    RIP Barry.
    Brilliant.

RIP, one of the great writers and comedians

Craftsman
    IMHO the best Barry Cryer tribute joke from yesterday. Had me and SWMBO sniggering on and off all night.

Three guys are walking through the woods when they find a lamp. One of them picks it up, rubs it, and out pops a Genie. It booms "You have finally freed me after all these years, so I'll grant each one of you 3 wishes."

The first guy immediately blurts out "I want a
    billion dollars." POOF, he's holding a printout that shows his account balance is now in fact
    1.000.000.003.50 The second man thinks for a bit, then says "I want to be the richest man alive." POOF, he's holding papers showing his net worth is now well over 100 billion.

The third guy thinks even longer about his wish, then says "I want my left arm to rotate
    clockwise for the rest of my life." POOF, his arm starts rotating.

The Genie tells them it's time for their second wish. First guy says: "I want to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth." POOF, a stunning beauty wraps herself around his arm.

Second guy says "I want to be good-looking and charismatic, so I can have every girl I want." POOF, his looks change and
    the first guy's wife immediately starts flirting with him.

Third guy says "I want my right arm to rotate
    counter-clockwise until I die." POOF, now both his arms are rotating, in opposite directions.

The genie tells them to think very carefully about their third wish. First guy does, and after a while says “I never want to become sick or injured, I want to stay healthy until I die." POOF, his complexion improves, his acne is gone and his knees don't bother him any more.

Second guy says "I never want to grow old. I
    want to stay 29 forever." POOF, he looks younger already.

Third guy smiles triumphantly and says
    "My last wish is for my head to nod back and forth." POOF, he's now nodding his head and still flailing his arms around.

The genie wishes them good luck,
    disappears, and the men soon go their separate ways.

Many years later they meet again and chat about how things have been going. First guy is ecstatic: "I've invested the money and multiplied it many times over, so me and my family will be among the richest of the
    rich pretty much forever. My wife is a freak in the sheets, and I've never gotten so much as a cold in all these years."

Second guy smiles and says "Well, I built charities worldwide with a fraction of my wealth, I'm still the richest guy alive and also revered for my good deeds. I haven't aged a day since we last met, and yes, your wife is pretty wild in bed."

Third guy walks in, flailing his arms around and nodding his head, and says:
    "Guys, I think I fucked up."

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That is the funniest thing I have heard for ages. Actually crying now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post

Same place I used to see him always with a pint in his hand and had his hair cut in Pinner.

Master
    Another good one of Barry's (from another place)

A couple standing at a bus stop and the old lady says " Look, at the bus stop across the road, I'm sure it's the Archbishop of Canterbury"

Her husband says " I'm not sure, can't make him out, I'll nip across and ask him"

He gets back and his wife says " Is it him, what did he say?"

Husband: "He told me to **** off"

Wife: "Oh well, I suppose we'll never know"

This one cropped up on my YT list - I'd not heard it before, but it made me laugh.

https://youtu.be/0Dj83gHbqPQ

He was always funny.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?