closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holocaust Memorial Day

Holocaust Memorial Day

Blog Entries
    A dark period in history, we should never forget.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Agreed it should never be forgotten
    For anyone who has not seen it ‘The Final Account’ was shown on BBC4 last night and is well worth a catch up on iPlayer
    The level of denial still shown by those that perpetrated the horror is astounding.

Craftsman
    An image taken at Auschwitz, a poignant reminder of terrible acts carried out on people for who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed it should never be forgotten
    For anyone who has not seen it ‘The Final Account’ was shown on BBC4 last night and is well worth a catch up on iPlayer
    The level of denial still shown by those that perpetrated the horror is astounding.
    It was filmed over a 10 year period, so I assume they are dead now. I too was surprised by the denial and lack of contrition of some of the participants and in such recent times.

Storyville is a great series and has some cracking documentary films.

Master
    I recently read "Lily's Promise" by Lily Ebert, very very moving.

I visited Bergen-Belsen as a teenager, the memory has stayed with me very strongly more than 30 years later. Very hard to encompass the horror with words.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I too was surprised by the denial and lack of contrition of some of the participants and in such recent times.
    Responsibility and accountability aren't exactly virtues that are widely espoused these days, though.

When the cry from the top is "Nobody told me it was illegal", we can't really claim to live in more enlightened times.

We should never forget the Holocaust, but we definitely shouldn't imagine that most of the people doing it were monsters rather than ordinary people led into evil ways.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Responsibility and accountability aren't exactly virtues that are widely espoused these days, though.

When the cry from the top is "Nobody told me it was illegal", we can't really claim to live in more enlightened times.

We should never forget the Holocaust, but we definitely shouldn't imagine that most of the people doing it were monsters rather than ordinary people led into evil ways.

M
    For gods sake.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    we definitely shouldn't imagine that most of the people doing it were monsters rather than ordinary people led into evil ways.

M
    Christ. How is it possible that a post about Holocaust Memorial Day would need to be moved to the BP for me to accurately respond to one of the comments in the thread?

During WW2 my dad was in the British army and went into one of the camps when they were being liberated and during his time there one of the prisoners gave him a hard back book and hidden in the back cover there was some photos which my dad showed me in my early teens of the gas chambers, ovens and piles of dead, I have never forgot those photo's, unfortuanatly my mother gave the book to a friend who showed interest in the book/photo's, at the time my dad was more than annoyed with her.

Mans inhumanity to man.

Master
    I had the opportunity to visit Auschwitz a few years ago. It was possibly the most moving thing I’ve ever experienced.

To actually see and stand where mankind’s most evil atrocities took place is an experience that will live with me to my dying day.

Master
    It’s utterly incomprehensible what actually went on in those camps, truly horrifying for those poor souls who had to endure one of mankind’s most evil and disgusting times. They should never, ever be forgotten and their stories told for 100’s of years to make sure it can never happen again.

Holocaust Memorial Day

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I had the opportunity to visit Auschwitz a few years ago. It was possibly the most moving thing I’ve ever experienced.

To actually see and stand where mankind’s most evil atrocities took place is an experience that will live with me to my dying day.
    I visited with friends 13 years ago in February when there was about three feet of snow on the ground and in part it added to how bleak and horrifying the conditions must have been.

The experience is something I’ll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 27th January 2022 at 21:07.

Master
    Thanks for the reminder, candle lit and in window

I can highly recommend Survivors: Portraits Of The Holocaust, shown on BBC2 earlier this evening.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I visited with friends 13 years ago in February when there was about three feet of snow on the ground and in part it added to how bleak and horrifying the conditions must have been.

The experience is something I’ll never forget.

Same here Andy
    Visited 4 yrs ago in February and the snow was on the ground and freezing.
    Everyone should visit if they can to give perspective.
    Birkenau seemed the worse of the 2.

Holocaust Memorial Day

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Same here Andy
    Visited 4 yrs ago in February and the snow was on the ground and freezing.
    Everyone should visit if they can to give perspective.
    Birkenau seemed the worse of the 2.
    I’ve just been looking at the photos I took and it reminded me of the vastness of it. Without googling it I believe it was 40 square kilometres at its peak.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 28th January 2022 at 21:32.

Master
    I was here on Wednesday - the memorial to the killed Jews in Berlin.