closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW Police cars

BMW Police cars

Noticed in the press that BMW Police cars are ordered not to chase criminals due to safety reasons. This applies to all Police forces across the country.
    Any BMW owners know if this is the cars being at fault? Maybe a fault recall?
    I had thought if they are rear wheel drive it may be weather conditions.

BMWs don’t come with indicators.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Noticed in the press that BMW Police cars are ordered not to chase criminals due to safety reasons. This applies to all Police forces across the country.
    I think it’s to do with the non functioning indicators

Ha ha!
    Cheers..
    Jase

" The directive, which is said to ban pursuits over the speed limit unless there is an immediate threat to life, was implemented after PC Nick Dumphreys died when a BMW police vehicle caught fire during a 999 call in Cumbria in 2020 "

Press hype (mostly).

There was a recall for a number of 6 cyl. diesel engines due to a QC issue in the EGR system - small number of issues in the EU and one in the UK (Police vehicle) which the media have ramped up to be a crisis beyond anything.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    BMWs don’t come with indicators.
    They’ve got fecking horns.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    " The directive, which is said to ban pursuits over the speed limit unless there is an immediate threat to life, was implemented after PC Nick Dumphreys died when a BMW police vehicle caught fire during a 999 call in Cumbria in 2020 "
    He was involved in a crash during a pursuit - nothing to do with vehicles randomly catching fire.

Probably just because they handle badly

It appears to relate to the possibility of fires in the BMW 3L diesel N57 engine.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...gine-concerns/

Master
    Nothing to do with the cars, it's to do with the fear of the bad publicity when it all goes wrong during a pursuit and somebody gets hurt or worse, even if it's the offender and the driver of the police car has done nothing wrong. Don't for one moment think that criminals don't know and will exploit that.
    If you drive the car every day you find it's limits and keep within them, and they are usually very high.

Master

BMW Police cars

It’s just some, my lad told me a few months ago about it. Some of them have engine mount problems and they have been restricted to go over a set speed, and that’s far higher than I would have thought given the issue. I’m sure it’s just a model of the 3 series estate with a specific engine.

His is a marked X5

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by aa388; 27th January 2022 at 03:23.

Master
    Thread about it over on PH if anyone is interested, seems to be the n57 engine and periods of idling causing a strange failure iirc

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1948916&i=0

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Thread about it over on PH if anyone is interested, seems to be the n57 engine and periods of idling causing a strange failure iirc

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1948916&i=0
    See my earlier post on EGR problems, BMW have a live recall for this (our X4 was recalled but found to not need a part swap).

So many experts on here.

Today in the Northern Echo.....

What has BMW said?

A spokesman for BMW said: “We have been working with the police for some time on a technical matter linked to a small number of special high-performance vehicles.

“This issue is associated with the particular way in which the police operate these high-performance vehicles.

“This unique usage profile puts extra strain on some components and therefore BMW has specified a special servicing programme for these vehicles.”

'No need for action on any civilian vehicles'

The spokesman said the problem was not an issue for BWM owners with private motor vehicles.

He said: “There is no need for action on any civilian vehicles.