closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Silvermans

  1. #1
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,559

    Silvermans

    I ordered a watch from Silvermans on Sunday 23rd January which was showing as in stock. Other watches on the site were showing as out of stock so no need to remotely consider mine wouldn't be.

    On Monday 24th January I received a text message and an email stating the watch had been shipped and included an RMSD tracking reference. No watch delivered as expected on Tuesday 25th January. Royal Mail website states at this point "The sender has let us know this item will be with us soon". Suspicions are aroused.

    I left it until after 1pm today (Wednesday 26th Jan) but still no watch and no change to the tracking status.

    So I ring them up:

    Seller: Yes we marked that as shipped but we don't actually have any stock and we didn't when you ordered.

    Me: So why did you do that?

    Seller: Because we marked it shipped before we looked in the stores?

    Me: Why would anyone do that?

    No response.

    Seller: We're expecting them in this week or next so I can call you when yours is ready.

    Me: Hang on, so you failed to update your stock system, which is understandable sometimes, but then you lied and sent me messages containing information you knew to be lies. I can only deduce you were hoping I wouldn't contact you until the watch came in.

    Seller: I can't comment on that. Would you like to wait or cancel the order.

    Me: That's such underhand and deceitful behaviour so I'll have a refund please.

    Seller: OK thanks I'll do that for you.

    Be warned.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 26th January 2022 at 17:45.

  2. #2
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,000
    Thatís not good to hear


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,743
    It seems to be an increasingly common way of working, printing off a label and then going looking for the item. I've had it more then a few times where I've received tracking details suspiciously fast, only for the courier's tracking website to say they haven't yet received the item.

    None of those have gone wrong in the sense that the seller doesn't actually have the nobody item to hand yet have somehow shipped it to me but it's easy to see how this sort of practise could fall down and piss people off.

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    177
    had something similiar happen to me last week when i wanted my phone screen repaired.

    i asked the woman on the phone if they had the screen in stock, she answered yes. i ordered and within one minute got an email saying the screen wasnt in stock!!!

    beggars belief!

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,679
    It's the ABC of excuses - Absence of staff, Brexit and Covid = D (eath of customer satisfaction).

  6. #6
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832
    I understand the frustration but this is an overreaction that could put our host in trouble on this public part of the forum.
    Likewise, the thread in H&V is misplaced as the subforum is there to provide feedback on inter members transactions.

    Any heads up like this one is welcomed, but should be less emotional and stick to the facts. IMHO, of course.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I understand the frustration but this is an overreaction that could put our host in trouble on this public part of the forum.
    Likewise, the thread in H&V is misplaced as the subforum is there to provide feedback on inter members transactions.

    Any heads up like this one is welcomed, but should be less emotional and stick to the facts. IMHO, of course.
    Not quite true, "Good deals, bad deals, request dealer testimonials" - although in this case a testimonial was given without request.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  8. #8
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not quite true, "Good deals, bad deals, request dealer testimonials" - although in this case a testimonial was given without request.

    R
    I understand that. I don't like Silvermans much anyway but unless they are members they cannot reply, and we know villains threads usually end up showing 2 sides to the story. Even if in this case the best they might be able to do is to say "sorry", being given a chance to reply would balance the debate. Instead, they are likely to ask their lawyers to send a C&D letter to EP.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  9. #9
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    3,907
    Not an overreaction at all, they took your money, stated clearly that it had been posted and gave you a tracking number to that effect. All without checking the item was in stock when it actually wasn't. Very poor service.

  10. #10
    Donít see a problem (obviously as long as factual), not really different to leaving a review on Google or similar.

  11. #11
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    3,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Donít see a problem (obviously as long as factual), not really different to leaving a review on Google or similar.
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 26th January 2022 at 17:09.

  12. #12
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Donít see a problem (obviously as long as factual), not really different to leaving a review on Google or similar.
    Not quite, because the company can reply on Google. See adigra's experience and how his very moderate and factual review was deleted. If they are not yet members here 1) they probably cannot join because we are usually closed for new memberships and 2) they have no interest in being members anyway after 20 years and a C&D is quicker.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    10,900
    I always get the 'It's on its way' messages with clobber, minutes after buying. It's an automated process that assigns the label and lets the courier know. It should be tied into the stock inventory though.

    I can't see a problem with leaving an H&V although I think the OP's reaction is slightly over the top. Mistakes happen. They offered to correct it. End of.

  14. #14
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,559
    Did Jura do that regarding their appearance in H&V?

    Freedom of speech I believe. It all happened. Yes some emotion but no fabrication.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I understand that. I don't like Silvermans much anyway but unless they are members they cannot reply, and we know villains threads usually end up showing 2 sides to the story. Even if in this case the best they might be able to do is to say "sorry", being given a chance to reply would balance the debate. Instead, they are likely to ask their lawyers to send a C&D letter to EP.

  15. #15
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,294
    These days I personally allow a lot more infractions like that than I ever would have in the past. We are in the middle of a shitstorm and everyone is managing as best as they can. No one was trying to actually deceive so I would take back the money and move on.
    Exclusion is at the root of their success

  16. #16
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,745
    Stark contrast to my experience with Silvermans!

    When I tried to source a crystal for an original G10 they were extremely helpful, I explained that Iím a repairer who had bought 4 watches in need of repair. I winced a little at the price and negotiated a small discount for ordering 4. I supplied credit card details by phone and the crystals were with me a couple of days later.

    I can understand the OP being aggrieved, but cancelling the order leaves him without the watch he wants to buy so I canít agree with his logic.

  17. #17
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,234
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    These days I personally allow a lot more infractions like that than I ever would have in the past. We are in the middle of a shitstorm and everyone is managing as best as they can. No one was trying to actually deceive so I would take back the money and move on.
    Pretty much my perspective.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  18. #18
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Did Jura do that regarding their appearance in H&V?

    Freedom of speech I believe. It all happened. Yes some emotion but no fabrication.
    And I believe you do not know what freedom of speech means. As I said it is just my opinion but while you are understandably frustrated, and their system is not set up properly/fairly, you haven't lost anything, they apparently refunded when you asked them too so in the grand scheme of things all is good again, other than you don't have your watch and they don't have their money.
    Warning other members about the practice is absolutely fair game.
    Opening two threads to vent your frustration is both OTT and could be a source of extra work for Eddie.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    And I believe you do not know what freedom of speech means. As I said it is just my opinion but while you are understandably frustrated, and their system is not set up properly/fairly, you haven't lost anything, they apparently refunded when you asked them too so in the grand scheme of things all is good again, other than you don't have your watch and they don't have their money.
    Warning other members about the practice is absolutely fair game.
    Opening two threads to vent your frustration is both OTT and could be a source of extra work for Eddie.
    For what it’s worth, I tend to agree with this. Absolutely nothing wrong with factually stating your experience with a company (good or bad) but using the language like in the title of this post isn’t helpful to anyone and could actually cause problems for Eddie. Also I don’t think they intentionally set out to ‘lie’ to you. Why would they? Probably just need to re-organise their system a bit.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 26th January 2022 at 18:17.

  20. #20
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,757
    I think this is something we will be seeing more of in general. I've had two orders from completely different companies which have resulted in me receiving a dispatch email telling me my item is on it's way together tracking same evening, only to then go to tracking and get a message along the lines of "we should receive your item soon and will update you when we do". I wouldn't class that as dispatched but as said I've had that twice now. One of those items tracking remained that way for over a week before it updated to "we have now received your item and estimate delivery....", felt pretty annoying to be back where I thought I was a week prior.

    Not excusing Silvermans as clearly they aren't keeping their stock in check as is sadly becoming common for many companies now(I find it really irritating when I order something showing as in stock only to receive an email lately telling me they're unable to source said item), but I think the response and especially thread title is over strong, especially the "liars" part(that's a strong accusation, probably more disorganized or unprofessional would be more to the point).

  21. #21
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,617
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Stark contrast to my experience with Silvermans!

    When I tried to source a crystal for an original G10 they were extremely helpful, I explained that Iím a repairer who had bought 4 watches in need of repair. I winced a little at the price and negotiated a small discount for ordering 4. I supplied credit card details by phone and the crystals were with me a couple of days later.

    I can understand the OP being aggrieved, but cancelling the order leaves him without the watch he wants to buy so I canít agree with his logic.
    I have to say my experience of Silvermans echos this.
    Yes you may call me a fan boy - I do think taking the cash whilst not having the item in stock is totally wrong. I understand the OPs grievances, but you tend to hear more about the poor customer service a company gives and not the good.
    This is the first time I have heard about poor CS from Silvermans / CWC. They generally go over and above if they can.
    I have had nothing but good service from them and I have used them for years, both in person and on line. Every company will make a mistake every now and again. Which is what I think this was, a mistake / mix up, not intentionally deceitful. Easily done in the era of automatic responses etc.
    At least you have your money back.

  22. #22
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,559
    I believe they were though. I've amended the title and removed anything potentially inflammatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    These days I personally allow a lot more infractions like that than I ever would have in the past. We are in the middle of a shitstorm and everyone is managing as best as they can. No one was trying to actually deceive so I would take back the money and move on.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I believe they were though. I've amended the title and removed anything potentially inflammatory.
    Thank you.

    I would not put a little incompetence/delay with how quick stock is updated on the website beyond them. In other word, some sort of JIT that regularly goes wrong, rather than deception which is definitely not in their interest*

    *neither is incompetence, mind, but unfortunately this one is not voluntary
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  24. #24
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,000
    What was the watch, out of interest?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    I would find this annoying from a perspective of personal impatience, but in the current climate, anything I order I take it there will be a delay.

    The greater frustration would be a company that dragged their feet in refunding.

  26. #26
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,617
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The greater frustration would be a company that dragged their feet in refunding.
    Agreed
    Thankfully it was not one of the sellers that delay refunds or even better Page and Cooper

    I will now take my I CWC t shirt and bu99er off!!!

  27. #27
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,559
    GS Navigator Sapphire.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    What was the watch, out of interest?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,927

    Silvermans

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not quite, because the company can reply on Google. See adigra's experience and how his very moderate and factual review was deleted. If they are not yet members here 1) they probably cannot join because we are usually closed for new memberships and 2) they have no interest in being members anyway after 20 years and a C&D is quicker.
    They can sign up here, in the same way, one has to, to leave a review or reply on Google
    Last edited by Rodder; 26th January 2022 at 21:14.

  29. #29
    Craftsman Cornholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Stark contrast to my experience with Silvermans!
    FWIW, I've had excellent above-and-beyond service from Silvermans too.

    I've also had a similar experience to the OP from another company, which to be honest was frustrating. It got sorted though.

  30. #30
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed
    Thankfully it was not one of the sellers that delay refunds or even better Page and Cooper

    .........
    That's another area we have to be watching out for.... companies going bust.... on the quiet... and then boom!
    Exclusion is at the root of their success

  31. #31
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,832

    Silvermans

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    They can sign up here, in the same way, one has to, to leave a review or reply on Google
    Not quite. Registration for new members is not opened very frequently I believe.
    Plus, considering how long TZ-UK has been around, if they had a policy of maintaining a presence on forum they would have done it.
    Here, in the original version they could have threatened to go legal. Easier for them, harder for EP so unnecessary.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 26th January 2022 at 23:10.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  32. #32
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    England
    Posts
    148
    Reading through the entire thread I can both side to this issue and I think personally I would initially would have felt the same way, citing "disorganised & unprofessional" as previously mentioned.

    Having not purchased from Silvermans in a long time apart from recently, where I picked up a CWC T20 GS, there customer service/delivery times where as I had remembered with no issues of stock not being available and the item arriving within the specified delivery dates.

    I guess each buyer has their own experience but unfortunately it seems, negative customer service in general is more likely to be left as review than positive.

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    294
    My personal view on this kind of incident is that it's a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to order pretty much anything online these days and (usually) track the order and delivery status very easily from order to receipt, often to within an hour or so for the time of delivery. Yes, it's frustrating when it goes wrong but I've had enough positive experiences over the last few years that I try to be philosophical about the odd one that doesn't go quite so smoothly.

    Hope the OP ends up with the watch one way or another :0)

  34. #34
    I don't get the excuses being made here TBH. Marking something as dispatched when it isn't even in stock doesn't sound like a mistake and more likely just what they do - usually they'll get away with it but didn't this time and were unlucky that the customer has called them out on here.

    Covid can explain unpredictable and poor stock levels but not this.

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    My personal view on this kind of incident is that it's a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to order pretty much anything online these days and (usually) track the order and delivery status very easily from order to receipt, often to within an hour or so for the time of delivery. Yes, it's frustrating when it goes wrong but I've had enough positive experiences over the last few years that I try to be philosophical about the odd one that doesn't go quite so smoothly.

    Hope the OP ends up with the watch one way or another :0)
    I agree with this. The OP experienced bad service thereís no doubt about it, but this puts it into perspective.
    For what itís worth, Iíve dealt with CWC/Silvermans a few times now and have always had great customer service.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    3,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don't get the excuses being made here TBH. Marking something as dispatched when it isn't even in stock doesn't sound like a mistake and more likely just what they do - usually they'll get away with it but didn't this time and were unlucky that the customer has called them out on here.

    Covid can explain unpredictable and poor stock levels but not this.
    That's my take on it. We all understand the difficulties companies and individuals are facing at this time, but to both email and text stating an item that is not even in stock has been despatched is a plain lie.

  37. #37
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,745
    Having read it the OP's post for a second time I can see why he's annoyed, but taking a refund instead of waiting for the watch to come into stock hasn`t got him where he wanted to be so he's cut his nose off to spite his face. That may have made him feel better at the time but he's still not got the watch he wants.

    I don`t see that as a positive outcome. I would've shared the story on here to let people know to be a little wary when ordering but I would've kept the order in place.

  38. #38
    Master gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    1,072
    I suspect that marking it dispatched is to enable the payment to be taken. Most payments are now time limited and require a dispatch notification.
    I believe this one of the problems our own Eddie faced/faces and hence why the limits on numbers and time.
    Had Silverman's not taken the money, the likelihood is when in stock the transaction would have been refused and have to be started again.
    I have had this issue with PayPal when authorising a payment, the retailer 5 or so days later emails me to say payment has been refused. It is because they were outside PayPal's timescale.

    In my opinion a retailer shouldn't do what Silverman's have done. They should have been honest with the customer from the outset.


    Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    403
    All about customer experiences these days. That was a poor experience, no matter what the OP did after. What happens next is that the OP probably wonít buy there again, he tells others, some of which probably wonít buy either. That all equals a gradual shrinking customer base & so it continues. Risky strategy in my eyes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information