closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling

Selling

Hi guys

I was wondering if you can help.

It’s been a while since I’ve been into the watch game. The price hikes of recent years have put me off sadly!

I was looking to offload a watch and wanted to know what the market price would be. I have checked on Chrono24 but from memory these prices were always at the high end. Apart from watchfinder, which other places can provide realistic offers?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at sold listings on eBay

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

I was looking to sell a watch recently and prices offered made me suspicious of how good the market really is.Without going into too much detail as still trying to sell I was offered approx 40% of what the watch retails for against a £16k rolex.Other dealers didn't even respond.One company offered to sell at 5-15% commission so for example a £10k watch would be advertised on their site and you potentially get charged £1500 with no cost to them apart from admin/running costs.Asked them some further questions and so far have not gotten back to me.Watch in question is quite desirable and mainstream brand.All companies involved are heavily invested in the youtube community.Not sure what to do next.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    I was looking to sell a watch recently and prices offered made me suspicious of how good the market really is.Without going into too much detail as still trying to sell I was offered approx 40% of what the watch retails for against a £16k rolex.Other dealers didn't even respond.One company offered to sell at 5-15% commission so for example a £10k watch would be advertised on their site and you potentially get charged £1500 with no cost to them apart from admin/running costs.Asked them some further questions and so far have not gotten back to me.Watch in question is quite desirable and mainstream brand.All companies involved are heavily invested in the youtube community.Not sure what to do next.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Can't you tell us the watch brand and model. Quite interesting you was offered so low if it is a desirable model. I do see people trying to sell coloured OP from £12k which seems over the top.

Probably need more detail on what you are selling to give an accurate response.

If it's something like a Rolex, I'd get a Watchfinder quote and base that as your lowest price but always have in mind that they can be quite variable on their offers depending on stock and current purchasing policy. Use SC and eBay to give you an idea of current private sale prices. If it's not something that WF can turn over easily, they'll probably lowball you and their offer will be well below what you might otherwise achieve on a private sale.

I've definitely seen a trend in ridiculous secondhand prices on both eBay and Chrono24...to be honest, this goes for non-watch items too. Secondhand sellers pricing their used goods at just under the price of new. Never used to happen, but nowadays many secondhand 'ask' prices seem stupidly high. So if you are basing your price purely on the advertised price in many cases this might lead to the watch sitting there unsold. Worth using the eBay 'completed/sold items' filter.

Craftsman
    Chronext offered me a competitive price recently. Depends on the watch in question though. If vintage Fellows will give a ballpark reserve figure via email probably. Chrono24 for me recently the gap between their advice and achieved price has been 10-30% reduction.

Craftsman
    The market on Chrono24 definitely distorted atm, sellers particularly private sellers have some rather unrealistic expectations i have found.

Selling

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I've definitely seen a trend in ridiculous secondhand prices on both eBay and Chrono24...to be honest, this goes for non-watch items too. Secondhand sellers pricing their used goods at just under the price of new. Never used to happen, but nowadays many secondhand 'ask' prices seem stupidly high. So if you are basing your price purely on the advertised price in many cases this might lead to the watch sitting there unsold. Worth using the eBay 'completed/sold items' filter.

To echo this, I was on eBay today looking at a particular GS quartz GMT model.
    There were a few, all asking £2400 or upward.

When checked on completed/sold items there were a similar number completed as currently for sale, but none that made over £1800.

I think people are just chancers at the mo.
    Pre-owned anything seems to fetch (or at least be asking for) high prices, and eBay had long been terrible if you want a bargain.

Assuming you can access Sales Corner, research it there and offer it at a price you are happy with.
    You’ll soon be told by somebody if you are kicking the rrr’s out of it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 26th January 2022 at 23:55.

This is quite an interesting thread to me as I would like to sell a 60-70's old Rolex folded link bracelet that I've kept for a while, with a view to eventually acquiring a vintage GMT or Sub with missing strap but I've given up hope in that endeavour for various reasons.
    Completed listings on ebay indicate the end links and clasps as selling for hundreds but not complete bracelets.
    Where do you go to value such a thing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    This is quite an interesting thread to me as I would like to sell a 60-70's old Rolex folded link bracelet that I've kept for a while, with a view to eventually acquiring a vintage GMT or Sub with missing strap but I've given up hope in that endeavour for various reasons.
    Completed listings on ebay indicate the end links and clasps as selling for hundreds but not complete bracelets.
    Where do you go to value such a thing?
    Ref. 7836 or 9315?
    I have a few older Tudor & Rolex Oyster bracelets that I’m going to sell on once I get a minute so I have been keeping an eye on sold listings of similar offerings.

I'm looking for an oyster for a 1680 so let me know :)

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Ref. 7836 or 9315?
    I have a few older Tudor & Rolex Oyster bracelets that I’m going to sell on once I get a minute so I have been keeping an eye on sold listings of similar offerings.
    7836 with 380 ends, 12 links. The only one I've seen on ebay is £900 but it's a Tudor. In slightly better condition than mine however.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 28th January 2022 at 17:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    7836 with 380 ends, 12 links. The only one I've seen on ebay is £900 but it's a Tudor. In slightly better condition than mine however.
    As always condition is key here but for an average used condition 7836/380 then I’d say 900-1100 is about right.
    A very good/mint one can go for quite a bit more & a rough one for far less.

Master
    You need to think about your risk appetite too. For a high-end watch, selling to dealers/Watchfinder etc. will likely mean lowest valuation but you'll get cleared funds with minimal risk.

The risk of hassle/scam rises as you go via Private sale on Chrono24 then hit the peak risk on t'Bay/Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace, even if these could get a higher sale value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting thread.

I have a few watches that are now getting crazy in this climate.

I agree that a established dealer is the way to go for less hassle and security / peace of mind, however how many of these will sell on a commission basis rather then give you a low end of the market price? I guess this way would make you more money but I don't see any dealers offering this (well none of the ones I have used anyhow)
    Last edited by kultschar; 29th January 2022 at 13:52.