closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Wearing a watch on the inside.

  1. #1

    Wearing a watch on the inside.

    I'm a barber by trade and I've noticed a few of my elderly customers wear there watch on the inside of their wrists.
    It must be a generational thing but I thought I'd give it a go.
    I put a vintage orator chronograph on to get the full back in the day vibe.

    We it drove me insane turning my wrist over to find I was looking at the clasp side.
    Just as I was starting to think it was a terrible idea, I was driving and bloody hell the time was there, I was cutting hair and the time was in full while cutting!! so I'm presuming back in the day it was important to catch the time quickly while performing a job or task.

    Is there anyone still wearing their watches this way.

    Baden

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    At the gym, I wear my Tudor BlackBay this way on a NATO. Safer when using free weights, cables and machines….

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    4,268
    Glad to see this thread wasn't about wearing a watch in prison 😳

  4. #4
    I have tried it a couple of times in the past, with the thought being that it would be safer for the crystal to be inward facing. It didn't last, as it just felt weird and I seemed to bang the head far more with it there rather than facing outwards. Not for me.

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,944
    In the distant past I remember seeing older guys wearing them this way, not something I would recommend!

    Potentially it’ll alter the way the watch performs too.

  6. #6
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,375
    I believe it is called "the sniper method"....

    https://special-ops.org/operators-we...-face-inwards/

  7. #7
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,454
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Glad to see this thread wasn't about wearing a watch in prison 😳
    Or à la Christopher Walken.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  8. #8
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UP North.
    Posts
    11,625
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    At the gym, I wear my Tudor BlackBay this way on a NATO. Safer when using free weights, cables and machines….
    Mmm not sure,Ive been going to the gym since 18 now 62 and
    never succumbed to anything hitting my watch on the top.
    On machines its out of the way on top of the wrist,I cant think of anything I do where wearing on the inside makes it safer tbh.

    How so you?.


  9. #9
    The Omega Chronostop Drivers was designed to be worn on the inside of the wrist. Keannu Reeves also wears his watch this way in the John Wick films.

  10. #10
    I always wear it like that.
    As I wear them on my right, it helps my mouse-hand just skim across the office desk top when I am working.
    An almost no harm done to the acrylic:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Glad to see this thread wasn't about wearing a watch in prison 
    Or about smuggling watches.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,156
    My late father always wore his watch this way when I was a kid

  13. #13
    I read somewhere that wearing the watch on the inside enables you to check the time discreetly.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stockton, Teesside, UK
    Posts
    1,439
    I used to, for many years. I started doing so when I was a kid, cos it seemed daringly different! In reality, there are few good real reasons why you should wear it either way - there's little practical difference. Its a matter of personal taste and fashion. I don't wear it underneath so much these days - its a good look for youth, but doesn't seem to work so much when you get older!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I read somewhere that wearing the watch on the inside enables you to check the time discreetly.
    I don’t always check the time…
    But when I do, I do it discretely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  16. #16
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,284
    No, just no.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  17. #17
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,328
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    My late father always wore his watch this way when I was a kid
    Likewise.

    M

    Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    492
    Would rather wear it on my ankle than wear it that way. People would think I was into Jethro Tull though.

  19. #19
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    I used to wear my watch that way until my student days ended. My thoughts were - “if holding a pint of beer and someone asked me the time, they got a glass of beer down their clothes not me”.

    Wearing only inexpensive watches I had no idea where this interest in time measuring devices would lead me.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”. HHGTTG

  20. #20
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    18,744
    Tried it once for a while many many years ago. Felt wrong, looked wrong, so never bothered again.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    England
    Posts
    168
    It's a military trait....

  22. #22
    Just weird.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    London/Surrey
    Posts
    262
    Guess it depends on activities. If you spend all day behind a wheel for example might be easier to take quick glance at wrist. I couldn’t wear it that way as I’m a desk jockey.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Mmm not sure,Ive been going to the gym since 18 now 62 and
    never succumbed to anything hitting my watch on the top.
    On machines its out of the way on top of the wrist,I cant think of anything I do where wearing on the inside makes it safer tbh.

    How so you?.
    3 easy examples

    Tricep pushdown, lateral raise and chest press












    All easy to catch your upfacing watch on hard metal surfaces so I prefer to wear it on the underside

    YMMV of course!

  25. #25
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    17,156
    I suspect that it might be handy for various jobs and activities, but it isn't a good position if you work with a desk and a keyboard, so I reckon why that is why it have fallen out of fashion.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  26. #26
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UP North.
    Posts
    11,625
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    3 easy examples

    Tricep pushdown, lateral raise and chest press












    All easy to catch your upfacing watch on hard metal surfaces so I prefer to wear it on the underside

    YMMV of course!
    I see how that works on those machines,non of which applies at my gym tho.


  27. #27
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    26,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I suspect that it might be handy for various jobs and activities, but it isn't a good position if you work with a desk and a keyboard, so I reckon why that is why it have fallen out of fashion.
    I think you are right Dave.

    I definitely remember many people wearing a watch inside the wrist when I was a lad but most men did physical jobs in those days.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  28. #28
    My dad always did. It was a military thing in his case.

    I can see how it’s a smart thing to do if performing physical tasks but mad to do if you spend all day resting your hands on a desk.

    And that in a nutshell is the generational decline of humanity right there.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ascot, Berkshire, U.K.
    Posts
    1,014
    Good when holding a rifle.

  30. #30
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Good when holding a rifle.
    I can safely say that whenever I was holding a rifle up to my shoulder, I never once cared about the time.

  31. #31
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    It may be American, but there are plenty of replies at this link...among which are:


    • I’m a guitarist and bassist, played in rock bands beginning even before high school. When you’re on stage playing guitar, you can’t take your left hand off the guitar neck during a song, so you’d have to wait until between songs to check the time if you wear your watch on the outside of your wrist. If you wear your watch on the body side of the wrist, however, the watch face is visible while you’re playing guitar.


    • Here's an easy way to figure that out. Pick up a glass of water with your watch wearing hand.

      Check the time.

      If your watch is on the inside of your wrist you can continue by drinking the water.

      If your watch is in the outside of your wrist, you can now go change.

      I wear a watch “backwards”. I picked it up from my grandfather, who was in the army. I continued it because it's more natural for me to look at the watch. It's easier to look at the palm of your hand than it is to look at the back of your hand, especially while carrying anything. Very few things are naturally held with your thumb pointing down.

  32. #32
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    I have just been reminded by another thread that Omega designed their Chronostop Driver's Genève Ref. 146.010 to be worn under the wrist...see: link.

  33. #33
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,375
    If everybody wore their watches on the inside... we wouldn't be able to see each other's watches... and where's the fun in that?

  34. #34
    I wear my Apple Watch on the inside of my (right) wrist precisely so that no one can see it

  35. #35
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I have just been reminded by another thread that Omega designed their Chronostop Driver's Genève Ref. 146.010 to be worn under the wrist...see: link.
    You were also reminded in post #9 of this very thread

  36. #36
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    You were also reminded in post #9 of this very thread
    Oops...I'd missed that.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It may be American, but there are plenty of replies at this link...among which are:


    • I’m a guitarist and bassist, played in rock bands beginning even before high school. When you’re on stage playing guitar, you can’t take your left hand off the guitar neck during a song, so you’d have to wait until between songs to check the time if you wear your watch on the outside of your wrist. If you wear your watch on the body side of the wrist, however, the watch face is visible while you’re playing guitar.


    • Here's an easy way to figure that out. Pick up a glass of water with your watch wearing hand.

      Check the time.

      If your watch is on the inside of your wrist you can continue by drinking the water.

      If your watch is in the outside of your wrist, you can now go change.

      I wear a watch “backwards”. I picked it up from my grandfather, who was in the army. I continued it because it's more natural for me to look at the watch. It's easier to look at the palm of your hand than it is to look at the back of your hand, especially while carrying anything. Very few things are naturally held with your thumb pointing down.
    * Why would a right handed person person pick up a glass of water with the other hand?

  38. #38
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    * Why would a right handed person person pick up a glass of water with the other hand?
    That begs the question as to whether the author I quoted was right handed, and that I don't know. I think that the glass of water was used as a simple illustration of the practicability of wearing a watch on the inside of either wrist...as I do. When working at a desk I'm in the habit of taking off my watch because, as others have pointed out, it is 'in the way' and not best visible on the inside of the wrist.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    That begs the question as to whether the author I quoted was right handed, and that I don't know. I think that the glass of water was used as a simple illustration of the practicability of wearing a watch on the inside of either wrist...as I do. When working at a desk I'm in the habit of taking off my watch because, as others have pointed out, it is 'in the way' and not best visible on the inside of the wrist.
    I'm sure we can all think of an example where each way works best. If not suitable for work why do you wear it like that, is work mainly at a desk?

    BTW, interesting to look on the 'Watches Worn Well' thread - doubt it includes many insiders!

  40. #40
    Master TKH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hot Tub
    Posts
    2,859
    I have seen many accounts and auditors wearing like this seemingly they can see the time easily whilst typing / writing/ studying papers….

    Watch usually scratched to bits..

    But some of the explanations above make sense in certain situations….. Snipers and Guitarists…..

  41. #41
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'm sure we can all think of an example where each way works best. If not suitable for work why do you wear it like that, is work mainly at a desk?

    BTW, interesting to look on the 'Watches Worn Well' thread - doubt it includes many insiders!
    I started wearing it on the inside when I had milk round...and it stuck.

    Only later in life did I end up at a desk in Whitehall.

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Sudbury Suffolk151
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Would rather wear it on my ankle than wear it that way. People would think I was into Jethro Tull though.
    "here on the inside, outside's so far away" perhaps you are a Tull fan! Cheers, John B4

  43. #43
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,670
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I always wear it like that.
    As I wear them on my right, it helps my mouse-hand just skim across the office desk top when I am working.
    An almost no harm done to the acrylic:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That photo makes me feel slightly unwell...

    Simon

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    "here on the inside, outside's so far away" perhaps you are a Tull fan! Cheers, John B4

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I always wear it like that.
    As I wear them on my right, it helps my mouse-hand just skim across the office desk top when I am working.
    An almost no harm done to the acrylic:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Very good! Nice application apart from telling the time. Does anyone else use their watch for other purposes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information