closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is A VPN safe ?

Is A VPN safe ?

I don't really know what a VPN is but it seems I need one if I want to watch Yellowstone that is still not available in the UK.

Is it safe ? and is it free or do I pay for one ?

Simply put, a VPN is a means of re-routing IP traffic and obfuscating your computer's IP address to make it appear to be from a different location. Companies like Netflix, Amazon etc. have means to detect the use of VPNs and can still block you by, for example, noting groups of IP addresses known to be used by VPNs. In my experience the free ones are bordering on useless with flaky connections that run very slowly. It's worth doing some research on what's currently deemed good. Some years ago I asked for a recommendation for a paid for VPN and have been with StrongVPN ever since. I'm not saying it's the best out there but it does everything that I want reliably.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Surfshark is generally well regarded, does everything well and without much missing. It's also proactively not blocked and dirt cheap if you play hard to get then commit for a few years at a go.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/surfshark

I've had it for a few years and it's conveniently transparent when I want to use it but stays out of the way when I don't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I don't really know what a VPN is but it seems I need one if I want to watch Yellowstone that is still not available in the UK.

In terms of what you want to use it for, yes but as per Skiers comment, do some research. For example some VPN's are blocked by the BBC so you can't watch iPlayer through them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

Given some of your questions and use case you might be best trying a free trial before committing to a yearly subscription.

Most VPN’s now have apps for fire sticks, tablets and phones, I think they are much less common on smart TV’s

What do you want to watch it on?

Also I believe that series one of the show is on now tv at present and the have a low cost initial period which might be easier/cheaper than a vpn

Lastly justwatch.co.uk is a good way to check what streaming services a show or film is on if you haven’t heard of it

If you can't find a service that you can try out before commiting or you don't want to commit long-term, I can recommend mullvad.net at €5/month. (That said, I think I've read somewhere they're not the best for streaming services that are agressively blocking VPNs -- I don't use those anymore, so not an issue for me). As someone said, do your research -- many free 'VPN' services have been known to be Chinese data grabbers in disguise, and quite a few once solid providers are now dubious after being bought by ad tech companies and somesuch (eg Kape).

Thanks for the replies.

I only really need it as I would like to see season 4 of Yellowstone, I have seen seasons 1-3, loved it.

It might be easier just hanging on until its available on DVD or something.

I watched the first three seasons on my TV, streaming and DVD.

Master
    I have ExpressVPN and it works well

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Meant to be the best.

Have a friend working out in china and it’s all he’ll use.

That's one of those bought by Kape, ditched it.

How do you go about using one? I’m tempted to try it for the Netflix content, we watch that on a smart TV, how exactly does one set it up? ( in layman’s terms)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    That's one of those bought by Kape, ditched it.
    What's the issue with Kape?

I use Nord - seems good but I have had a couple of sites where I've had to pause it so I could get access.

My first reply to the question would be yes, a vpn is perfectly safe.
    What is not guaranteed is that it will keep you safe, i.e. keep your browsing history private: a number of vpns keep them on file, and depending on where they are located can release them to authorities, either because they ask "nicely" or because they go through a judge.
    Also, what is not guaranteed is that it will allow you to stream the sites you want: It will give you an IP from the country you selected, but the site you visit may have wisened up to your VPN's server's IPs.

On the other hand, many people's lives rely on VPN to keep them safe.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My first reply to the question would be yes, a vpn is perfectly safe.
    What is not guaranteed is that it will keep you safe, i.e. keep your browsing history private: a number of vpns keep them on file, and depending on where they are located can release them to authorities, either because they ask "nicely" or because they go through a judge.
    Also, what is not guaranteed is that it will allow you to stream the sites you want: It will give you an IP from the country you selected, but the site you visit may have wisened up to your VPN's server's IPs.

On the other hand, many people's lives rely on VPN to keep them safe.
    And that's another plus for Sufshark.

https://surfshark.com/features/no-logs

Following on from my previous post, you may find useful information HERE.

Craftsman
    me too last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's the issue with Kape?
    Did you read my earlier post (and the link)? The issue is pretty much the same as with System1 (pay-per-click ads, marketing etc) acquiring the privacy search engine StartPage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Did you read my earlier post (and the link)? The issue is pretty much the same as with System1 (pay-per-click ads, marketing etc) acquiring the privacy search engine StartPage.
    Also see Protonmail not keeping or divulging lP data

https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2021...ddress_police/
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 25th January 2022 at 20:13.

^^^
    Yep, or NordVPN not telling users they were hacked: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1...ecurity_issue/ -- ditched them also.

Edit: looking for that NordVPN story in my posting history elsewhere, I also found this 'VPN in a nutshell' vid I think is worth watching for those who don't know what it's (and isn't) about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY
    Last edited by rodia77; 25th January 2022 at 20:36.

For streaming TV I tend to find DNS Proxy services to be faster and more reliable than a VPN. I've used Smart DNS Proxy without issues across the globe; it has a 14 day trial period.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Been using Surf shark for a while. Always been a great service, nice and fast, plenty of locations, mobile app, and cheap as chips!

Sent using Tapatalk

When I was looking for a VPN (very similar requirements to you), I found it VERY hard to find genuine unbiased feedback/reviews regarding VPN providers as most of the reviewers seem to receive commission from referral links. All of the big players seem to 'take the top spot' as you work your way through the various reviews.

I have tried NORD and ExpressVPN and they both did what they said they would do (allow me to stream US content on Netflix in the UK), but both had their glitchy moments. It was something the wife was watching that was stopped in the UK, but still available in the US if I recall.
    ExpressVPN was substantially more expensive than NORD and there seemed to be little perceivable difference between them for my use.

Be carful how you pay, as a lot of them show the prices in UK £'s, but charge you in US $'s, so you may be hit with an overseas credit card transaction charge dependant upon how you pay/which card you use. It is hidden in the small print, but sometimes not as obvious to find as it maybe should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    When I was looking for a VPN (very similar requirements to you), I found it VERY hard to find genuine unbiased feedback/reviews regarding VPN providers as most of the reviewers seem to receive commission from referral links. All of the big players seem to 'take the top spot' as you work your way through the various reviews.

I have tried NORD and ExpressVPN and they both did what they said they would do (allow me to stream US content on Netflix in the UK), but both had their glitchy moments. It was something the wife was watching that was stopped in the UK, but still available in the US if I recall.
    ExpressVPN was substantially more expensive than NORD and there seemed to be little perceivable difference between them for my use.

Be carful how you pay, as a lot of them show the prices in UK £'s, but charge you in US $'s, so you may be hit with an overseas credit card transaction charge dependant upon how you pay/which card you use. It is hidden in the small print, but sometimes not as obvious to find as it maybe should be.

Thanks, as I don't really understand whats involved I have decided to give it a miss and just wait and wait and................:)