closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 - 2022

Master
    Mercedes are so far behind the rest this season it's unbelievable. Verstappen did well to get Pole but Perez the stand out driver for me today in the sprint. Looking forward to the Ferrari Red Bull battle tomorrow.

Was worth watching the C4 highlights rather than the YT ones I usually rely on these days.

Hoping Leclerc or his Ferrari is a bit kinder on tyres come the GP.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Good weekend for Red Bull, big mistake from Leclerc thats allowed Max to make up for some of the early races failings.

Happy to see Norris on podium too.

Hamilton was really unlucky though…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Here is my prediction early on. Hamilton will retire at the end of this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Here is my prediction early on. Hamilton will retire at the end of this year.

I'll go for mid-season. With a car that bad he should have kept up with Russell. I drove with a foot on the brake. Perhaps because he doesn't trust the Mercedes'? That would be a reason to step out in F1: when you don't trust your material. Or because he wants to make a point towards Wolf. They had a fall-out yesterday.

Normally there's a lot of radio conversation between LH and his engineer. In the past, it was often a lot of whining about the tyres (which proved to recover miraculously in the next rounds). But I haven't heard anything today. Which is rather odd.
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th April 2022 at 21:13.

Face on toto was a Picture when Max lapped Hamilton,

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

F1 - 2022

I really like Toto, but how easily Horner can get under his skin and the inevitable facial expressions which Toto has no control over provide excellent entertainment in addition the race itself.

Though this season his self entitled, smug face has been notably absent.

Master
    The porpoising or whatever they call it seems to effect the Ferrari too, it didn’t look very comfortable to drive down the long straights, but it’s still quick.

I can see why Mercedes are scratching their heads over it all.

I’m sure they will get to the bottom of it, but will likely be much too late to save the season, especially as the other teams are still developing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I'll go for mid-season. With a car that bad he should have kept up with Russell. I drove with a foot on the brake. Perhaps because he doesn't trust the Mercedes'? That would be a reason to step out in F1: when you don't trust your material. Or because he wants to make a point towards Wolf. They had a fall-out yesterday.

Normally there's a lot of radio conversation between LH and his engineer. In the past, it was often a lot of whining about the tyres (which proved to recover miraculously in the next rounds). But I haven't heard anything today. Which is rather odd.

It’s not going to happen. Hamilton will continue until such time as the possibility of winning another WDC completely evaporates. And that will not be this season. Remember he drove a dog of a McLaren for 4 years so understands these things take time. Plus he also knows that the lower Mercedes finish in the WCC the more wind tunnel time they will get. I doubt Mercedes will have a car as dominant as 2014-2016, but they will deliver a car that is competitive.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I know it’s only practice but how have Mercedes managed to turn this around so much and so fast?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I know it’s only practice but how have Mercedes managed to turn this around so much and so fast?
    Because they just can and will get where there need to be. You don’t win 8 constructors championships without having the ability to make a great car better, or in this case, a lousy one a lot better.

I predict the Mercedes’ team will be where they need/want to be within 2-3 races and develop further from there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Because they just can and will get where there need to be. You don’t win 8 constructors championships without having the ability to make a great car better, or in this case, a lousy one a lot better.

I predict the Mercedes’ team will be where they need/want to be within 2-3 races and develop further from there.
    Yes they have form for being able to do just this, the reliability issues Red Bull are having with Verstappen's car are uncharacteristic though.

Should be an interesting weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

It could well cost them later in the year though with the cost cap. They must be throwing everything at it at the moment.

It’s Miami time. Interesting track complete with boats sitting in a fake marina with fake water - not a fan, however it does mean lots of money to Liberty Media (and therefore F1, the FIA and the teams).

As for the track itself, it reminded me a bit of a formula E circuit. Quite tight, a few bottle necks and I imagine, based on the practice seasons, quite a few safety car incidents. A new version of Monaco but without the heritage, but with a few DRS zones.

in respect to the racers, someone will be having a chat with Sainz and telling him to claim down as I image the parts spend on his car will be getting quite high. Bottas also managed to again bin his. Both the Ferrari and Alfa have serious pace, but it has to cross the finishing line to score points.

Ref Mercedes, Shovlin seems quietly confident that Mercedes are turning a corner with its new front and rear wings (as especially demonstrated by Russell). Hamilton is saying the front end isn’t quite as pointy as last year, so more work is required. More updates are Scheduled for Spain.

This is only the 5th race of the new Brawn Era so a long way to go, however having a more competitive Mercedes in the mix will only add to spice. Looking forward to watching the highlights.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

In watching FP3 and the onboard from George Russell's car, have you noticed the amount of deflection of the outer part of the front wing? It's significant.

Quali is on sky showcase now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Red Bulls seem to have found their momentum.

Master
    MV trying a bit too hard it seems.

Bottas ahead of Hamilton. It may not last but I am sure he enjoys it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Bottas ahead of Hamilton. It may not last but I am sure he enjoys it.
    Yes must be a nice feeling given what he had to endure whilst he was LH's teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Yes must be a nice feeling given what he had to endure whilst he was LH's teammate.
    What exactly did he endure? The 7M is got paid each year by Mercedes plus all the other endorsements, the opportunity to win 10 GP’s ( which is more than the likes of Alonso, LeClerc, Danny R, Norris, Sainz, etc achieved in the last 6 years), runner up in the WDC, and 5 WCC medals.

Plus don’t you think Bottas hasn’t already experienced beating Hamilton in races and in qualifying sessions. But yes it was a great achievement for Alfa, forgetting of course that he finished 5th in the Italian GP a couple of weeks ago. Miles ahead of Hamilton.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, he was considered not good enough and was given his marching orders. To be fair, between him and Russel, choosing George was probably a no-brainer and even Valtteri must recognise this. But being sacked from a top team, find another one and outperform your former co-driver must feel nice, even if he is slightly behind on points at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well, he was considered not good enough and was given his marching orders. To be fair, between him and Russel, choosing George was probably a no-brainer and even Valtteri must recognise this. But being sacked from a top team, find another one and outperform your former co-driver must feel nice, even if he is slightly behind on points at the moment.
    perception is everything I suppose. You believe he was “given his marching orders”, where as others believe that his contract wasn’t renewed and he left Mercedes with much praise from Toto, his team mate and Mercedes generally.

But yes I imagine it must feel good to out qualify or beat an ex-team mate, or even a WDC winner. These are professional sports people after all, so winning is everything to them.

Friedrich Nietzsche

What a bore F1 has become. The most exciting thing today was trying to guess how many times Martin Brundle was going to get ‘blanked’ by the celebs he was trying to interview prior to the race!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    What a bore F1 has become.
    It’s been that way for many years now imho...
    I used to sit glued to the telly back in the late 80’s & early/mid 90’s to watch both the qually & the race but nowadays I don't really care if I catch it or not.

What a bore F1 has become. The most exciting thing today was trying to guess how many times Martin Brundle was going to get ‘blanked’ by the celebs he was trying to interview prior to the race!
    Because there were never boring races in the good old days, right?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Because there were never boring races in the good old days, right?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    It’s been boring for a number of years, but this years changes - which were supposed to bring about more overtaking and excitement - have done the reverse! DRS trains, yeh, great spectacles!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I have been watching F1 since the late 60’s and that has to be one of the most boring races that I have ever watched. The only good bit was after the safety car☹️

It’s been boring for a number of years, but this years changes - which were supposed to bring about more overtaking and excitement - have done the reverse! DRS trains, yeh, great spectacles!
    Last season was boring??

F1 has always had boring races, no different in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I have been watching F1 since the late 60’s and that has to be one of the most boring races that I have ever watched. The only good bit was after the safety car☹️
    It was a poor race but I've seen many many worse than that.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 9th May 2022 at 10:01.

We've only had crappy tracks so far; there should be at least a few decent races.

Out of interest, The Telegraph has ranked them, and I broadly agree. Races in date order, with the track's ranking:

10. Bahrain Grand Prix Mar 18 - 20
    12. Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Mar 25 - 27
    20. Australian Grand Prix Apr 8 - 10
    9. Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Apr 22 - 24
    16. Miami Grand Prix May 6 - 8
    21. Spanish Grand Prix May 20 - 22
    8. Monaco Grand Prix May 27 - 29
    15. Azerbaijan Grand Prix Jun 10 - 12
    11. Canadian Grand Prix Jun 17 - 19
    3. British Grand Prix Jul 1 - 3
    13. Austrian Grand Prix Jul 8 - 10
    22. French Grand Prix Jul 22 - 24
    18. Hungarian Grand Prix Jul 29 - 31
    2. Belgian Grand Prix Aug 26 - 28
    7. Dutch Grand Prix Sep 2 - 4
    6. Italian Grand Prix Sep 9 - 11
    17. Singapore Grand Prix Sep 30 - 2 Oct
    1. Japanese Grand Prix Oct 7 - 9
    4. United States Grand Prix Oct 21 - 23
    14. Mexican Grand Prix Oct 28 - 30
    5. Brazilian Grand Prix Nov 11 - 13
    19. Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Nov 18 - 20

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/0/ranking-every-f1-track-2022-season-best-worst-circuits/

Last edited by hogthrob; 9th May 2022 at 17:06.

Two '2s' there and no '1.' I'd guess at Spa being the number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    We've only had crappy tracks so far; there should be at least a few decent races.

Out of interest, The Telegraph has ranked them, and I broadly agree. Races in date order, with the track's ranking:

2. Japanese Grand Prix Oct 7 - 9

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/0/ranking-every-f1-track-2022-season-best-worst-circuits/

Blog Entries
    Monaco #8? Really? That race is all about the off-track hussle and bustle of the rich and famous. Race-wise it's a parade.

Suzuka was #1 in the Telegraph list.

Personally, I like the Monaco GP. It's easily the best of the many 'overtaking not possible' circuits. It also has a place in my heart as in 2004, I only saw the first half because I had to take the wife to hospital for the birth of my oldest son.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine (who did several attempts to become a forumite here) is a member of the l'Automobile Club de Monaco. He has an annual spot/seat straight across Start/Finish. I've seen pics and vids. Fantastic spot. He often mentions the 'walk of the famous' on the outside of the circuit's barriers.

Racing-wise, it's not of this day and age. And there are more circuits like that. You can change the design and set-up of the cars whatever you like. But when there's simply no room to overtake, it doesn't happen. The Miami circuit was not what it should be according to the race sim. Simply because the simulator has not 'dirty part of the track' and 'other cars' built in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Monaco #8? Really? That race is all about the off-track hussle and bustle of the rich and famous. Race-wise it's a parade.
    Absolutely spot on. Never about the race in Monaco.

Master

Yes, I broadly agree with that, although personally on the basis of a single running I'd put Miami lower than 16th. The first 48 laps were tedious+++.

However, I'd say anyone who watched every race from 2001-6 and says current F1 is boring has got a very 'unusual' value system and/or has wasted 20 years of their Sunday afternoons

Roll on Montréal and Silverstone - proper tracks at last.

Master
    I might put Monza a bit higher, usually an interesting race and carrying as much speed as you can through parabolica sorts the men from the boys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I might put Monza a bit higher, usually an interesting race and carrying as much speed as you can through parabolica sorts the men from the boys.
    Those rankings are for TV enjoyment, I’d say.

For attending in person I’d put Monza 1 and Spa 2 for many aspects of the trackside experience, including stellar food & drink and relaxed safety enforcement and crowd marshalling. Montreal might come #3 since there are some excellent viewing areas even for General admission, plus track access via public transport is simple and the city is a blast at race weekend.

Such a vague list.

Ranked how? Fan enjoyment? Racing excitement? Driver enjoyment? Best to watch on TV? Safest? Best port-o-loos?

Just another lazy article by the telegraph

Not exactly race or sport related however Sebastian Vettel is one of the panelists on tonight's Question Time.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Not exactly race or sport related however Sebastian Vettel is one of the panelists on tonight's Question Time.
    That has to be the strangest choice of panelist, since Corey Taylor was on QI.

He has been outspoken on subjects such as equal rights and the environment - ref his Miami 2060 First GP Underwater t-shirt and litter picking as two examples.

He's obviously up for it so it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say, as well as how well the audience take to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Thanks for that........set my SKY Q box to record this! Should be good for a laugh....

Excellent spot of entertainment in Spain this weekend. Qualifying aside.

Just a few observations/questions.

Why is LeClerc so unlucky. He is either binning it or his car is very fragile.
    How long will Ferrari tolerate Sainz given that he feels it necessary to visit a beach every weekend.
    For years he heard all about how Mercedes issued team orders to Bottas (it was actually only 5 times and on one occasion Hamilton gave the place back), yet here we are in race 6 of a 21 race season and RBR have already started doing it. Yet no outrage from the MV fans. Also at what point (if ever) will Perez stop complying, or is he becoming the next Rubens.
    I am starting to think Russell really is the real deal given that he continues to perform well and continues to bring the car home. Great drive.
    Has Mercedes finally fixed the porpoising and found some genuine pace (all bit that they are still slower than RBR).

Finally what a great drive by Hamilton. From 19th to 4th (finished 5th, because of over heating issues) and held the fastest lap until Perez was put on new tyres late in the race. Not many drivers on the grid could have done that.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Very cool stabilized POV video of the Ferrari driving around Monaco today, which I think is the closest we've seen yet of what the drivers actually see whilst driving around

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...m_source=share

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    Very cool stabilized POV video of the Ferrari driving around Monaco today, which I think is the closest we've seen yet of what the drivers actually see whilst driving around

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...m_source=share
    Great watch though that big bar in the middle of sight is so off putting.

Master
    For sure, but on the whole I’d rather still have Romain Grosjean, Lewis Hamilton and several others around still and put up with it 😁

I agree, although they must be used to it by now. They have so many other things to focus on.

The camera angle is cool, but wouldn't be fun to watch an entire race like that