closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 - 2022

Hybrid View

F1 - 2022

Well chaps, the new season will soon be upon us again, and this time we have a new WDC who will be defending his title. We will also see Russell driving for Mercedes and the first Chinese driver in F1 (which will be interesting). More importantly we will see new cars, sporting new aero packages and big 18” wheels. If we are lucky we might even see LED wheel covers, just to add to the show. Oh and closer racing if Ross Brawn is correct. We will even get to see a tracks not seen in the past 2 years.

What we might not see is Hamilton (albeit highly unlikely) and Micheal Masi (who hopefully we fall on his sword). It’s also very unlikely we will hear the communications between the FIA and the teams, which might be a good thing, but perhaps they will televise the pre-race drivers briefing which would actually be a good thing as it might educate some of the fans as to what is and what isn’t allowed.

As for the FIA detailed analysis and report into what happened in AD last season, I imagine we might get to see snippets, none of which will defame Masi, question the decisions made on the day or undermine Max’s championship. Hopefully it will force the FIA to draft some clear unambiguous rules and removes the “right” of the race director to do as he pleases.

As for predictions. Firstly Mercedes will once again be strong, but Ferrari, AM, Alpine, and McLaren will be the mix. Not sure about RBR because we know they focused most of their efforts on winning the WCC/WDC in 2021, so might struggle in 2022. Mercedes have already stated that they believe they have fixed the reliability issues they had in 2021, so should be very strong contenders. The big question is whether the other teams have closed the gap. Testing starts next month so we should get a better idea after this.

It should be interesting and hopefully without the interference of the FIA, Liberty and Netflix.

Anywhoo here is the Calendar for the season. Enjoy and try to be nice.

2022 Formula 1 calendar
    Date Grand Prix Venue
    20 March Bahrain Sakhir
    27 March Saudi Arabia Jeddah
    10 April Australia Melbourne
    24 April Emilia Romagna Imola
    8 May Miami Miami
    22 May Spain Barcelona
    29 May Monaco Monaco
    12 June Azerbaijan Baku
    19 June Canada Montreal
    3 July United Kingdom Silverstone
    10 July Austria Spielberg
    24 July France Le Castellet
    31 July Hungary Budapest
    28 August Belgium Spa
    4 September Netherlands Zandvoort
    11 September Italy Monza
    25 September Russia Sochi
    2 October Singapore Singapore
    9 October Japan Suzuka
    23 October USA Austin
    30 October Mexico Mexico City
    13 November Brazil Sao Paulo
    20 November Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    What's the point, they'll fiddle the result so it matches the marketing departments script.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    What's the point, they'll fiddle the result so it matches the marketing departments script.
    Agreed. Lost interest they've got their work cut out to get me back.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Well chaps, the new season will soon be upon us again, and this time we have a new WDC who will be defending his title. We will also see Russell driving for Mercedes and the first Chinese driver in F1 (which will be interesting). More importantly we will see new cars, sporting new aero packages and big 18” wheels. If we are lucky we might even see LED wheel covers, just to add to the show. Oh and closer racing if Ross Brawn is correct. We will even get to see a tracks not seen in the past 2 years.

What we might not see is Hamilton (albeit highly unlikely) and Micheal Masi (who hopefully we fall on his sword). It’s also very unlikely we will hear the communications between the FIA and the teams, which might be a good thing, but perhaps they will televise the pre-race drivers briefing which would actually be a good thing as it might educate some of the fans as to what is and what isn’t allowed.

As for the FIA detailed analysis and report into what happened in AD last season, I imagine we might get to see snippets, none of which will defame Masi, question the decisions made on the day or undermine Max’s championship. Hopefully it will force the FIA to draft some clear unambiguous rules and removes the “right” of the race director to do as he pleases.

As for predictions. Firstly Mercedes will once again be strong, but Ferrari, AM, Alpine, and McLaren will be the mix. Not sure about RBR because we know they focused most of their efforts on winning the WCC/WDC in 2021, so might struggle in 2022. Mercedes have already stated that they believe they have fixed the reliability issues they had in 2021, so should be very strong contenders. The big question is whether the other teams have closed the gap. Testing starts next month so we should get a better idea after this.

It should be interesting and hopefully without the interference of the FIA, Liberty and Netflix.

Anywhoo here is the Calendar for the season. Enjoy and try to be nice.

2022 Formula 1 calendar
    Date Grand Prix Venue
    20 March Bahrain Sakhir
    27 March Saudi Arabia Jeddah
    10 April Australia Melbourne
    24 April Emilia Romagna Imola
    8 May Miami Miami
    22 May Spain Barcelona
    29 May Monaco Monaco
    12 June Azerbaijan Baku
    19 June Canada Montreal
    3 July United Kingdom Silverstone
    10 July Austria Spielberg
    24 July France Le Castellet
    31 July Hungary Budapest
    28 August Belgium Spa
    4 September Netherlands Zandvoort
    11 September Italy Monza
    25 September Russia Sochi
    2 October Singapore Singapore
    9 October Japan Suzuka
    23 October USA Austin
    30 October Mexico Mexico City
    13 November Brazil Sao Paulo
    20 November Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi
    Ah yes, my favourite country.... Miami.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    Presumably done to differentiate it from the USA GP, in Austin, on 23 October.

Blog Entries
    When are the new car launches?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    i think Ferrari are launching the first week of Feb followed by Mercedes (who have already released a YT of its engine on start up).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Nice, not long to go then.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Aston Martin February 10th
    McLaren February 11th
    Ferrari February 17th
    Mercedes February 18th

Rest are "TBA"

And the first pre-season test is 23/2/22

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Presumably done to differentiate it from the USA GP, in Austin, on 23 October.
    Good point. Double header I'm the US.. Liberty Media is really doing a good job getting the Americans on board including Netflix etc.

Williams driver lineup ffs!

In shocking news, Hamilton turned up for work at Mercedes F1 HQ on Monday.

It would appear that all of the media (including Crofty and Brundle) speculation regarding his impending retirement might have been rather exaggerated.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Like Europe or Styria.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what the FIA are going to do. It’s grim reading the radio transcripts back today. Particularly the one from Wheatley.

It’s a blouse for the whole sport

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I wonder what the FIA are going to do. It’s grim reading the radio transcripts back today. Particularly the one from Wheatley.

It’s a blouse for the whole sport

For those who live in a cave https://youtu.be/HpO3xxv8a64

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    These new car regulations make for some great racing this season, long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    These new car regulations make for some great racing this season, long may it continue.
    Some bike racing tactics being employed between Max and Charles these last two races. Let the other guy through then draft back past him. The yellow flags spoilt it a bit at the end there, but it was almost a case of not wanting to lead going into the final lap. Should be a fascinating season ahead.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

I'd imagine surely they can't let the result stand for the final race. Else the sport is a total mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd imagine surely they can't let the result stand for the final race. Else the sport is a total mockery.

Hmm, I think they will, however possible options.

Void AD and award Max the WDC because he has more wins, but then this would introduce the non Spa race, at which Masi seemed happy to finish under safety car. Cue another dispute.

Void AD and Spa (as these were Masi influenced races) which means that Hamilton wins on gaining more 3rd places. Cue meltdown by the Orange Army.

Void the last lap in AD, which means Hamilton wins. Cue a meltdown by the Orange Army.

Give it the driver who lead the most laps - Max wins.

Give it to the driver to complete most races - Hamilton wins

Give it to the driver with the most likes/followers on Instagram, Farcebook, or Sh*tter - who cares!

Give it to the driver with the most penalty points - Max wins.

Personally I hope they void the WDC for 2021 all together, or simply have Max and Hamilton as joint winners. It would seem fair as both deserved to win, but it wouldn't go down well with some factions within the F1 community.

Alternatively, put both drivers in a Williams and let them have a sprint race over 10 laps. Now that would be quite interesting, but no doubt would end in a crash. A better option would be a pursuit race. Both start at each side of the track and hunt each other down. The first one to catch the other wins.

Friedrich Nietzsche

There is no way they will change the result in either Abu Dhabi or of the WDC.

They will move/fire Masi and quietly agree that something similar won’t happen again.

I don't think it's as simple as firing Massi or any others, because then they (FIA) would be admitting there was a mistake made or that the result was wrong, which would lead to further questions etc.

I think a possibility is that Massi stays on for a while longer and once it blows over a bit he will 'decide to retire of his own volition'.

I don't think it's as simple as firing Massi or any others, because then they (FIA) would be admitting there was a mistake made or that the result was wrong, which would lead to further questions etc.

I think a possibility is that Massi stays on for a while longer and once it blows over a bit he will 'decide to retire of his own volition'.

I don’t think it will blow over until the end of this season and only if Hamilton wins his 8th, breaks Schumi record, etc, then perhaps. If not, this will simply fester and get worse.
    When Schumi cleared out Hill in 95, fans were upset but didn’t have a voice. Now they have the internet and social media. Hence The FIA will need take some action in order to resurrect any shred of integrity left. This will mean new regs, removal of a clause which enables the Race Director to do as he feels fit, and the head of Masi.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I would love to see it awarded jointly, think it’s the only fair outcome, But FIA won’t do that. They’ll simply change the rules for this season around communication with RD and move Masi into a different role, they’ll also not make the RD a single role, it will be like football with 2 assistant refs for particular rules e.g a safety car ref etc and a 4th ref that liaises with team managers.

Masi has been sacked as Race Director, but will retain a role in the FIA looking after safety. His place will be taken by two new Race Directors. One chap from DTM the other from WEC. These will “direct” alternate races (thus ensuring even less consistency ).

The FIA are also setting up a dedicated VAR team to review incidents, thus ensuring major falling outs between them and the track side stewards. Hopefully overtime, they can remove the stewards all together and simply use a professional set of fully trained and consistent referees (like other sports).

Finally it seems that the great unwashed will be prevented from hearing radio traffic between teams and the Race Director. A good thing, except without this we would never had heard the discussion which took place between Wheatley and Masi in AD.

Hopefully the FIA are planning some more substantive changes to bring back some credibility into the sport, but the sacking of Masi proves without doubt that what happened in AD was a farce.

Friedrich Nietzsche

For those interested the FIA have just published the latest version of the Sporting Code.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...2022-02-18.pdf

It’s actually quite interesting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Guess I was way off on this one!

In other news though, Drive to Survive must be coming out in the next couple of weeks, as the season starts soon

In other news though, Drive to Survive must be coming out in the next couple of weeks, as the season starts soon
    11th March IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    11th March IIRC

Looking forward to that!

Master
    Will drivers get "bounced" for not wanting to drive in Russia?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bPA6_NRa0Nw

Maizepan has been dropped.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    What an absolutely unexpected end to the race today!

Looks like we may have at least three teams fighting this year, which will make a refreshing change.

Master
    Fernando would probably call it Double Karma…
    Oh dear.
    🤣

Master
    Hamilton would not have expected a podium in his wildest dreams at the start of this weekend.

Working on my Phone ok

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Schumacher had had one hell of an accident in qualifying.

Glad he is ok as they have just said, I feared the worst, watching it live it made me gasp.

Craftsman

F1 - 2022

“From GP247 - “Latifi commented: “Surviving the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix blooper was tough. But I can’t seem to stop crashing”…”

Why is Rosberg not driving this weekend instead of Latifi? And did Latifi really feel the need to underline his position as outgoing driver by crashing again? I suppose someone has to take Mazespin’s place as worst driver on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by doebag; 9th April 2022 at 08:30. Reason: Citing sources

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    “From GP247 - “Latifi commented: “Surviving the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix blooper was tough. But I can’t seem to stop crashing”…”

Why is Rosberg not driving this weekend instead of Latifi? And did Latifi really feel the need to underline his position as outgoing driver by crashing again? I suppose someone has to take Mazespin’s place as worst driver on track.

Ha ha ha so true.

Whats going on with Mercedes though they really do seem to well of the Red Bull and Ferraris this season and it's defo not mind games.

Master

While Latifi does crash a lot, that accident was absolutely Strolls fault. Stroll even seemed sheepish when interviewed in the pen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    While Latifi does crash a lot, that accident was absolutely Strolls fault. Stroll even seemed sheepish when interviewed in the pen.
    It's never Strolls fault, how could it be he's the son of a billionaire things can't ever possibly be their fault.

Craftsman
    I’d say six of one, half a dozen etc

Stroll drifted over from the left which appears to be the racing line, Latifi shouldn’t have gunned it through the narrowing gap. I think they were both acting very sheepish because they were both at fault and didn’t want it to land on them.

Master
    I’d say six of one, half a dozen etc

Stroll drifted over from the left which appears to be the racing line, Latifi shouldn’t have gunned it through the narrowing gap. I think they were both acting very sheepish because they were both at fault and didn’t want it to land on them.

Well it was stroll who got penalised for it.

Because the Rosberg story was an April Fool's joke.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Because the Rosberg story was an April Fool's joke.
    Ah darn it. Stupid stupid stupid. Although I’ll bet Williams were wishing it wasn’t.

It's clear Stroll has no situational awareness And seems to consistently drive like he's the only one on the track. Today was another example of that, and not an isolated accident.

There was recently a compilation online somewhere(I'll try to find it and link it) of like 15(!) similar incidents caused by Stroll not paying attention.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It's clear Stroll has no situational awareness And seems to consistently drive like he's the only one on the track. Today was another example of that, and not an isolated accident.

There was recently a compilation online somewhere(I'll try to find it and link it) of like 15(!) similar incidents caused by Stroll not paying attention.

One of the best comments I heard today was from a Dutch commentator saying something like 'the only time Stroll looks in his mirrors is after getting out of the shower'.

Otmar pushing FIA to investigate the link between Haas and Ferrari claiming 'Ferrari designed their [Haas] car'...

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/80...ari-haas-link/

Pretty ironic conning from Mr Otmar 'Pink Mercedes' Szafnaur himself!!

Hamilton was really unlucky though…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Here is my prediction early on. Hamilton will retire at the end of this year.

Blog Entries
    Here is my prediction early on. Hamilton will retire at the end of this year.

I'll go for mid-season. With a car that bad he should have kept up with Russell. I drove with a foot on the brake. Perhaps because he doesn't trust the Mercedes'? That would be a reason to step out in F1: when you don't trust your material. Or because he wants to make a point towards Wolf. They had a fall-out yesterday.

Normally there's a lot of radio conversation between LH and his engineer. In the past, it was often a lot of whining about the tyres (which proved to recover miraculously in the next rounds). But I haven't heard anything today. Which is rather odd.
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th April 2022 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I'll go for mid-season. With a car that bad he should have kept up with Russell. I drove with a foot on the brake. Perhaps because he doesn't trust the Mercedes'? That would be a reason to step out in F1: when you don't trust your material. Or because he wants to make a point towards Wolf. They had a fall-out yesterday.

Normally there's a lot of radio conversation between LH and his engineer. In the past, it was often a lot of whining about the tyres (which proved to recover miraculously in the next rounds). But I haven't heard anything today. Which is rather odd.

It’s not going to happen. Hamilton will continue until such time as the possibility of winning another WDC completely evaporates. And that will not be this season. Remember he drove a dog of a McLaren for 4 years so understands these things take time. Plus he also knows that the lower Mercedes finish in the WCC the more wind tunnel time they will get. I doubt Mercedes will have a car as dominant as 2014-2016, but they will deliver a car that is competitive.

Friedrich Nietzsche