closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick tax question

Master

Quick tax question

Hi

I know you can claim an allowance for working from home during the pandemic. For the 20-21 tax year is it £6/week and can you claim the whole amount even if you worked from home for part of the time or is that for this year?
    Presuming its £6 x 52 weeks to get the total for the year?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

I know you can claim an allowance for working from home during the pandemic. For the 20-21 tax year is it £6/week and can you claim the whole amount even if you worked from home for part of the time or is that for this year?
    Presuming its £6 x 52 weeks to get the total for the year?

Cheers
    You can claim for the 52 weeks however you are supposed to clam for the weeks you actually work from home.
    The tax man will not likely query the amount as it’s to be expected currently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To clarify, you claim for £6 a week and you are refunded the tax on that amount. For basic rate taxpayer it's about £124 for a full year.

You can claim for more, but would have to submit a return with details/proof of allowable expenditure.

Craftsman

Quick tax question

You can claim for year's 2020/21 and 2021/21, even if you only worked from home for one day during each year due to the pandemic.

It's really easy to do and will take you five minutes maximum. I did mine in December and got an extra £200 in this months pay.

Gov website below

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...orking-at-home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, thanks for the reminder, forgot about this, doing my taxes this week. Anyone know where you enter this on an online self assessment?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Ooh, thanks for the reminder, forgot about this, doing my taxes this week. Anyone know where you enter this on an online self assessment?
    On the Employment section, you need to answer 'yes' to the question that asks if you wish to claim Employment Expenses and this will open a section later on for claiming the expense. £312 (£6 x 52 weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    On the Employment section, you need to answer 'yes' to the question that asks if you wish to claim Employment Expenses and this will open a section later on for claiming the expense. £312 (£6 x 52 weeks)

Cheers, will do that.

Don't see how it can be £124 for a basic tax payer, it's £62 surely? £124 will be for the 40%ers

Craftsman
    Basic Tax Payer - £62.40
    Higher Rate Tax Payer - £124.80