closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches with quickset hour hands?

Watches with quickset hour hands?

Regularly moving between time zones I've decided to look for something most convenient to change to local time than a conventional hacking three-hander.

I'd prefer not to go the GMT route but I'm struggling to find details of three hand watches with quickset hour hands. I know a couple of Omegas have it, but what else is out there, either in "steel sports", or something from a brand a little more unusual/interesting than the usual High St fare?

Size wise, ideally between 37-40mm.
    Last edited by OldHooky; 24th January 2022 at 08:53.

I had a Porsche Design P10 three-register chronograph, made by Eterna, with an ETA 1/10 second movement, I'm afraid I can't remember the reference but perhaps a G10, which had a quickset hour hand. It is a fairly generic movement so I'd guess any of the quartz chronographs with the registers at 10, 2 and 6 would have this facility.

Some of the newer Grand Seikos do, to take advantage of the ridiculous accuracy they give - I think it may just be their newer quartz watches (9F85 movements), but maybe also trickling down into the non-GMT Spring Drives too?

There was also the recent Ming 17.09, but that's rather pointless as it doesn't have a running seconds hand so there's no advantage to the independent hour hand.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 24th January 2022 at 01:00.

The older quartz GS also offered quick set hour hands, ones with the 8J56 movement. One of mine:

The movement is very nicely made, as you'd expect:

Also Seiko GMT kinetics and HAQ quartz with the 8F movement have independently-adjustable hour hands:

I think this was the first Watch ever to offer the feature:

On this one, the hour hand turns smoothly as you rotate the crown, but small magnets adjust it to the correct position relative to the hour when you push the crown home. A lot of human ingenuity and horological innovation quietly on display there.

The movement isn’t too shabby either:

The old Omega 1538 quartz movement fitted to lots of Seamasters also offers a conventional quickset hour hand.

For traveling, another option is a dual time. No quickset hour hand on this, but GMT is always displayed (the “Alarm” dial acts as a second time zone):

Quite a lot going on under there…

And some say quartz has no soul

TT
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 24th January 2022 at 05:54.

The Panerai 372 has one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Casio Oceanus is probably the easiest to change time zones on. Some good instructional videos on YouTube. Okay it's not mechanical but they are made to a very high spec in the same studio as GS. Fantastic travel watch.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Will take another look at GS.

Just to add that size wise I’m looking at, ideally, 37-40mm, and a three hander, not chrono or GMT.

Blog Entries
    Have a look out for any 'true' GMT watch - that should get you one with a separate jumping hour hand. Ah - just saw you ruled out GMT!!

In that case any 8xxxx Omega powered movement will have an independent hour hand. There are quite a few designs to choose from.

Else go the whole hog and get a world timer such as this? Outer ring doesn't even need changing for DST

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th January 2022 at 18:31.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Watches with quickset hour hands?

Scratch that, didn’t fit the brief.
    Last edited by colin t; 24th January 2022 at 20:12.

The Farer Ainsdale has a quickset hour hand, (it's how the date is changed) and a rather nice rattrapante flyback chronograph. 'Though it is a quartz movement. I rather like the look and colour of it too.

A

Update: I see they now sell as Ainsdale II, presumably it is still the same, but you'd have to check
    Last edited by aamaci; 24th January 2022 at 20:17.

I second Tokyo Tokei's vote for a GS 8F quartz. They're flat, light, modestly sized, have decent lume and WR and dress up or down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Will take another look at GS.

Just to add that size wise I’m looking at, ideally, 37-40mm, and a three hander, not chrono or GMT.
    This is the new SBGP013 which is the blue dial 9f85 quartz. This model also comes in champagne or black.
    There is also the SBGP005 blue dial version which has the same movement but with the Classic 44GS case and GS style bracelet This also has a champagne or black dial option

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Another vote for am Oceanus.. Super quick for the watch to change the hour hand itself.. That's the s100 model.. Titanium, solar, atomic, 3 hander and under 40mm.. Superb finishing and vfm

Master
    As mentioned newer GS quartz do, but also the SBGN007 shown here, and the less limited similar blue dialled version. It’s an unusually wearable 40mm and gives you the benefits of a GMT without the tool bezel.

Also as you suggest some Omegas such as the Aqua Terra Quartz at 38.5mm in the older, applied indices version, which would be the one to have given the choice. I had a couple of 70s Omega Megaquartz that had it too if you fancy something a bit different. Finally perhaps consider the 16570 Explorer II, yes it’s a GMT but without the second time zone bezel and it’s the right size so maybe qualifies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Another vote for am Oceanus.. Super quick for the watch to change the hour hand itself.. That's the s100 model.. Titanium, solar, atomic, 3 hander and under 40mm.. Superb finishing and vfm
    That's the same model that I have. Perfect travel watch and great value for money.

Thanks for the replies. I agree about the Oceanus have gifted one, but as cool as it is, I'm after something plainer. And the GMTs are of course logical choices, but as I said earlier, I'm not looking at GMTs, just three-handers. Which of course limits the options considerably.

It may be a GS, but not an Omega, as it's a brand that leaves me cold.

Craftsman
    I would recommend the GS Quartz models. They are a lot of watch for the money...if you can get past being a quartz

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Get an older Omega Seamaster Quartz.

Great lookers with a quickset hour hand. So handy.

My travelling watch.

Cheers,
    Neil.

I get the logic - Omega just isn't a brand I warm to.

Craftsman
    An older IWC UTC would fulfil the hour hand and size requirements .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The Panerai 372 has one.
    My 312 does too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional Chronograph with the ETA 251.262 quartz movement.

It does the date set via the quickset hour hand.

I use it when travelling, or holidaying and it saw me through both the Open Water and Advanced Open Water PADI licenses.

It is the classic 37mm case but wears bigger with the shrouded lugs. I bought it new in 2001, the last year of TAG Heuer as offical F1 time keeper.

A few more than three hands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Get an older Omega Seamaster Quartz.

Great lookers with a quickset hour hand. So handy.

My travelling watch.

Had mine for 18 years before stupidly selling it.