closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daytona 116500 - now £40k+?

daytona 116500 - now £40k+?

I know how much we like a rolex thread so thought i'd help out. I also like to think i keep an eye on prices and whats going on, but must say i was pretty surprised to see that £40k+ is pretty common for the daytona 116500.

It was only 18 months ago i hesitated and didn.t proceed at £17.5k, that's quite a rise in anyones book. Where will it stop?

Master
    When I saw the WTB for the Daytonas I had a look and even in the past month the prices on Daytonas have jumped up
    You do seem to be able to get them cheaper here(U.K) though.
    Some of the prices in US dealers are pie in the sky.
    I honestly think dealers inflate these and then offer either a good trade in or give a decent discount on the price so that it appears you're getting a deal.
    Prices at the moment for anything deemed collectable is insane.
    Even the Omega stuff is frankly ridiculous.

I love the "be quick" captions. Beyond ridiculous

Master

daytona 116500 - now £40k+?

Everything is relative to what else is out there… and given nautilus and royal oak, Tiffany dials, rolex sports etc etc, who knows where the very hard to get Daytona can go, 100k has been speculated as medium term possible.

As I’ve mentioned in other posts these are 15k watches fundamentally, which is the price I paid not long ago. So if it goes much much higher, as much as I love it regardless of price, I would think what else I can have instead

Won’t deny it’s a damn good looking watch but
    price aside, dealer advertising puts me off the brand. ‘Investment’ ,’Guaranteed returns’, ‘Buy now before another price rise’. Pathetic really. I can just see someone new to the watch world taking the bait and handing their hard earned cash over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got loads of crap for paying 15k to a grey for my white one 3 or 4 years ago by some people saying the bubble was about to burst lol

Craftsman
    the grey dealers buy and sell between themselves.. i very much doubt there is an individual buying at such prices. most likely those who can buy a daytona at 40k have access to the AD's stock regardless.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    the grey dealers buy and sell between themselves.. i very much doubt there is an individual buying at such prices. most likely those who can buy a daytona at 40k have access to the AD's stock regardless.

Very good point

I really don't get it. Madness.

That is all

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post

It’s all about instant gratification, without wanting to be that old guy, patience is no longer a virtue and anticipation is now over rated.

China is turning its back on property and Crypto and switched to watches…..and now much FOMO….

Makes the Chronomaster Sport an even more obvious choice, other than for "investors".

Blog Entries
    Crazy, and Hulks now nudging £25K+ on WF who the hell is paying this kind of money.

It’s said many times but this surely has to stop at some point

Pitch

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Crazy, and Hulks now nudging £25K+ on WF who the hell is paying this kind of money.

It’s said many times but this surely has to stop at some point

Pitch
    To think I wore my “Hulk” while rotavating the garden - sacrilege even though the 3135 is a workhorse movement.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    It seems that every Rolex sport model has shot up in the last 2-3 months from what I have seen.

It could be grey dealer games, but how does that help them? Just means they must pay more for their next one does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    It seems that every Rolex sport model has shot up in the last 2-3 months from what I have seen.

It could be grey dealer games, but how does that help them? Just means they must pay more for their next one does it not?
    Some of them are widening their margins.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Some of them are widening their margins.

Everyone is a dealer. Just open up social media and it's full of people talking about the next one to blow up, this was a great investment my clients are doing well.

There was a similar thread, must have been 12 months ago about Daytona's hitting 30k, I said that I can see these becoming 50k watches and that certainly looks where they are going..

It is getting ridiculous, I was browsing Bramlys site this morning as they had a couple of five digit GMT's that took my interest, two CHNR's were freshly listed at £18,995 and £19,995 and both went to "reserved" within a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    China is turning its back on property and Crypto and switched to watches…..and now much FOMO….
    Spot on. They are all being squirreled away and buried underground in China for value retention purposes. We will probably never see them again.

Master
    >Where will it stop?<

When the war in Europe spills out from Ukraine into Hungary and Austria

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    There was a similar thread, must have been 12 months ago about Daytona's hitting 30k, I said that I can see these becoming 50k watches and that certainly looks where they are going..
    It can go up to 100k it will make absolutely zero difference to anyone but a small group of people daft enough to pay.

As for people squirrelling then away, for what? Are they expecting some kind of mad max future where we all trade in shocking colour Rolex and the ugliest Patek watches the company could produce?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It can go up to 100k it will make absolutely zero difference to anyone but a small group of people daft enough to pay.

As for people squirrelling then away, for what? Are they expecting some kind of mad max future where we all trade in shocking colour Rolex and the ugliest Patek watches the company could produce?
    Gets to the point where I question wether I want to continue owning the watch or not.

If you cant wear it as it becomes a target then whats the point it sitting a safe

Its crazy these are are same money on par with precious metal oyster flex

Master
    Plenty (just) under £30k on C24 so fill your boots.

It wasn't that long ago people would call you daft for buying one at £17k, but turning £17k into £40k for owning a nice looking watch, is a level of daftness I aspire to.

Journeyman
    Purchased mine in 2017 for 11. Sold in August 2021 for 24 to WF.

Very happy with that and if some mug wants to pay +27 and make another 20, then good luck to them.

"The Art of good business is to be a good middle-man"

Life moves on.

Grand Master
    If you have spent 40k on one then take the hand attached to the wrist its on and give yourself a massive slap
    RIAC

Is anyone buying them at this price? Was anyone buying them at £30k?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Is anyone buying them at this price? Was anyone buying them at £30k?
    Yes, the white dial ones at least.

Some people have lots of money, want something now and can't find cheaper.

Are they any more silly --- or indeed much more sensible --- than someone spending £40,000 on most other watches, who will lose a third or more of their money the second they leave the salon door?

Some here repeatedly sniped at those with the resources and will to buy steel Daytonas at £15k, then £20k...

About a week ago I sold a black dial 116500 (the less popular, as it arguably looks like a £3,000 TAG) for £25,999......to someone who will sell it on immediately for more.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 24th January 2022 at 13:24.

It’s not just Rolex that are going up. I track my collection, which only contains one less desirable Rolex, on the Chrono24 app and it’s been going up in value by about a thousand pounds a day over the last few weeks.
    As to whether people are stupid for paying the prices, that depends on what their interests are. For me in most cases the quality of the watches does tend to improve in line with retail prices and grey prices mean nothing to me. If I was spending £40k and had a choice between a Daytona or something from the likes of AP, Patek, Journe etc I would never go for the Daytona. I may lose money on the alternatives but I would have a much better watch on my wrist and that’s what matters to me.

Grand Master
    The basic sanity check is as follows:-

Did you or were you prepared or keen to buy this watch at RRP or do you simply want a Rolex now because they are ‘going up’ Its the same lump of ticking metal and as normality returns and production not only returns to normal but also starts to address a backlog I think anyone buying strong now could well be in a world of pain by year end!! But hey what do I know
    RIAC

Prices are going up because companies want to squeeze as much money as possible from customers (anyone remember the CEO of IWC?). It’s the customer who decides if it’s worth it but in the past few years companies have achieved a master stroke in completely reversing this and making customers think they are actually privileged to even be considered worthy to buy a product.

I wouldn’t mind if we were talking about some artisan hand made watch that took hours of work to produce but we are talking about some of the most bang average watches out there. We are not talking Patek high end complications we are talking about a watch Patek rate so highly it’s barely noticeable in their museum amongst the real high end artisan watches. A Rolex nobody could care less about a few years back kicking 40k are you having a laugh?

People buying no end of tat to get put on a list to buy a watch. Do these people get told to buy two dozen pairs of socks before they are allowed to buy a pair of shoes too? At what point is your self respect worth more than getting rinsed for your credit card?

Watches are going up with a “pick a number out of thin air” mentality completely out of touch with reality. Anyone buying at these prices good luck with that one over the next few years.

Master
    Prices are going up because companies want to squeeze as much money as possible from customers (anyone remember the CEO of IWC?). It’s the customer who decides if it’s worth it but in the past few years companies have achieved a master stroke in completely reversing this and making customers think they are actually privileged to even be considered worthy to buy a product.

I wouldn’t mind if we were talking about some artisan hand made watch that took hours of work to produce but we are talking about some of the most bang average watches out there. We are not talking Patek high end complications we are talking about a watch Patek rate so highly it’s barely noticeable in their museum amongst the real high end artisan watches. A Rolex nobody could care less about a few years back kicking 40k are you having a laugh?

People buying no end of tat to get put on a list to buy a watch. Do these people get told to buy two dozen pairs of socks before they are allowed to buy a pair of shoes too? At what point is your self respect worth more than getting rinsed for your credit card?

Watches are going up with a “pick a number out of thin air” mentality completely out of touch with reality. Anyone buying at these prices good luck with that one over the next few years.
    Why should you or indeed anyone mind ?

No one is being forced to pay these prices or buy these watches.

The buyers would do far worse dropping £40,000 on some of the ill-supported brands so often touted by semi-anonymous tattooed monkeys with AMG-steering wheel promo-posts on Instagram. What is the worst case on the Daytona (if the buyers care), compared with worst case on the transient fancy of a footballer's fashion flop?

I write this from the position of someone who, while a dealer, doesn't particularly pursue the market in models that attract a premium nor pushes the price ceiling which is the focus of this thread.

Master
    Might be worth checking back slightly on the 40k claim
    A quick check on chrono24 shows a new white dial at 34K
    Still complete madness but let’s not stoke the flames any further with quoting the highest prices available.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Same crowd that bought Tesla shares at $1200 (from Elon who was selling).
    Prices will correct

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Might be worth checking back slightly on the 40k claim
    A quick check on chrono24 shows a new white dial at 34K
    Still complete madness but let’s not stoke the flames any further with quoting the highest prices available.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I agree, still madness! I wasn’t trying to assert that as the value or the only source of supply, but was just surprised to see £40k plus on the white ones…. Not, one outlier, but the majority of the whites were over £40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Why should you or indeed anyone mind ?

No one is being forced to pay these prices or buy these watches.

The buyers would do far worse dropping £40,000 on some of the ill-supported brands so often touted by semi-anonymous tattooed monkeys with AMG-steering wheel promo-posts on Instagram. What is the worst case on the Daytona (if the buyers care), compared with worst case on the transient fancy of a footballer's fashion flop?

I write this from the position of someone who, while a dealer, doesn't particularly pursue the market in models that attract a premium nor pushes the price ceiling which is the focus of this thread.
    I wouldn’t mind is just a simple turn of phrase

Master
    I wouldn’t mind is just a simple turn of phrase
    …but it appears that plenty of people do “mind,” as what others choose to spend bothers them enough to perpetuate these threads.

I'd love to know who these people are and why they do it. Even though I don't like the modern Daytona I can kind of understand in that you've got some chance of impressing someone (if that's your thing) because everyone knows a Rolex. Where I'm perplexed is the sports Pateks. The prices are incredible now, and having owned about six of them I can confirm that virtually nobody in the real world knows what it is, and they are pretty much united in the opinion that it looks crap.

…but it appears that plenty of people do “mind,” as what others choose to spend bothers them enough to perpetuate these threads.
    So when people post about the latest price increase, how much their watch has gone up, the current value of said watch etc.... no problem

Question why pay over the odds for an utterly unremarkable watch then that person is bothered about how others spend their money?

Or it could be a third option, people dont care how someone spends their money but they do care that the forum is flooded with people trying to inflate the prices of unremarkable watches and a market is trying to rinse people for every penny they can get.

Master
    I pretty much remember this same conversation and HM justifying people buying them at 15K a few years back.
    It's nuts but I would have no certainty in predicting any future values seeing the way they have gone.
    I wonder what grey's buy them in at?
    27-28K or less?

The lack of life and other interests outside the forum I reckon. That said, spouting pointless replies to pointless threads is harmless compared to what they could be doing (yes, I realise I've fallen into the same trap).

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I'd love to know who these people are and why they do it. Even though I don't like the modern Daytona I can kind of understand in that you've got some chance of impressing someone (if that's your thing) because everyone knows a Rolex. Where I'm perplexed is the sports Pateks. The prices are incredible now, and having owned about six of them I can confirm that virtually nobody in the real world knows what it is, and they are pretty much united in the opinion that it looks crap.
    People certainly aren’t buying them to impress others. Prices have gone up more during global lock down than any other time in history.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I pretty much remember this same conversation and HM justifying people buying them at 15K a few years back.
    It's nuts but I would have no certainty in predicting any future values seeing the way they have gone.
    I wonder what grey's buy them in at?
    27-28K or less?
    Would be lower than that and cautious as we enter 2022. That said the emerging wave of instagram and facebook pocket traders without overheads will be flipping them out for £300-£500 deals but those guys are mostly opportunistic and will fade away as time passes and they get sussed and saturated in the market.

RIAC

Buying a Daytona 116520

Whilst I believe the underlying values for Daytonas are robust, I do think the current levels are a ‘spike’ in the market, and are hard to justify for a watch that is still in production at a fraction of these figures.

As has often been said, if Rolex increase production and availability, there would be a correction, and more interest would move towards the interesting obsolete models.

Ironically, I would quite like to buy a 116500.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    Whilst I believe the underlying values for Daytonas are robust, I do think the current levels are a ‘spike’ in the market, and are hard to justify for a watch that is still in production at a fraction of these figures.

As has often been said, if Rolex increase production and availability, there would be a correction, and more interest would move towards the interesting obsolete models.

Ironically, I would quite like to buy a 116500.
    If people simply didn’t buy them and moved on to something else the price would correct itself pretty rapidly.

These threads are like déjà vu all over again. And again.
    These are the usual comments. Dare I say from the same people.
    1. Do they really sell for these prices?
    2. Rolex should just increase the production
    3. These are mid level watches. So many better watches for this kind of money
    4. People buying these are daft/thick/have more money than sense
    5.Oh, the prices are going to come down. Next week or May be by year end or May be in 10 years.
    6. The usual whining and moaning about IG crowd.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th January 2022 at 15:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    These threads are like déjà vu all over again. And again.
    These are the usual comments. Dare I say from the same people.
    1. Do they really sell for these prices?
    2. Rolex should just increase the production
    3. These are mid level watches. So many better watches for this kind of money
    4. People buying these are daft/thick/have more money than sense
    5.Oh, the prices are going to come down. Next week or May be by year end or May be in 10 years.
    6. The usual whining and moaning about IG crowd.
    7. Deus ex Machina entrance with helicopter analysis in the hope of providing final denouement ironically only perpetuates another scene of the tragedy
    FTFY. HTH.

FTFY. HTH.
    Haha!