closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bright white or red LED flashing bike lights

Bright white or red LED flashing bike lights

How the flying hell are these things legal, they’re at the right height to blind you whilst causing a seizure at the same time.
    Question to the SOME of the cyclists who use them….how can you see where you're going? Ive seen loads of people using them on back roads and surely not having a constant spread of light is a bad thing considering the state of our roads?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2022 at 12:17.

Master
    A constant spread of light is indeed essential to see the road properly.

There are loads of mega bright cheap Chinese-made lights around that a lot of people use, this is probably what you're seeing.

It's not ideal for many reasons.

Yes…cree LEDs are a real pain. My local running club are out in force every Tuesday night with 12 groups running the local roads. For some reason, despite running on well lit pavements they run in groups of about 10 all wearing cree LED chest straps. I’m a solo runner and it’s blinding if you come face-to-face with 10 cree lights.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Question to the cyclists….how can you see where you're going?
    They are not for seeing where we are going, they are so that you can see us.

Most rural cyclists (with any sense) would also have an additional light to see with.
    Personally I use a headtorch as well as flashing LEDs.
    I wouldn't bother in a city though as there is enough background light to see by

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    They are not for seeing where we are going, they are so that you can see us.

Most rural cyclists (with any sense) would also have an additional light to see with.
    Personally I use a headtorch as well as flashing LEDs.
    I wouldn't bother in a city though as there is enough background light to see by
    Cool but didn’t think you were supposed to use head torches as lights had to be a min/max from the ground?

Master
    How the flying hell are these things legal, they’re at the right height to blind you whilst causing a seizure at the same time.
    Question to the cyclists….how can you see where you're going? Ive seen loads of people using them on back roads and surely not having a constant spread of light is a bad thing considering the state of our roads?
    They aren't for seeing where you're going. They're very good at making you visible, sorry you've had a bad experience with them. For night riding you do need to illuminate the road in front of you in a non-flashing fashion. I use both. The flashers only when the road is visible enough but conditions have started to get a bit gloomy, or for very well lit stretches of road.

Master
    Cool but didn’t think you were supposed to use head torches as lights had to be a min/max from the ground?
    I think all those rules were dropped a while back, you could only fit flashing lights to clothing before that, but now you can fit them to the bike itself.

I use a German TüV approved LED pedelec headlight, with a very crisp beam cut off so it doesn’t dazzle other road users despite being very bright.

On the rear I use a Garmin radar light that flashes more intensely if it detects the closing car isn’t moving over to safely pass, and it lets me know too.

I get a bit annoyed by cyclists lights that dazzle though, but I understand the desire to be seen.

Master
    You're right, they're supposed to be "up to 1500mm from the ground". I do find a head torch useful personally. One good thing about using one for cycling is that if an inconsiderate driver blinds you with headlights on full beam, you can tilt your head and flash them back, much like you might in a car. Usually has the desired effect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    You're right, they're supposed to be "up to 1500mm from the ground". I do find a head torch useful personally. One good thing about using one for cycling is that if an inconsiderate driver blinds you with headlights on full beam, you can tilt your head and flash them back, much like you might in a car. Usually has the desired effect.
    When I ride at night on the mountain bike I do have a helmet light for the off-road trail sections, but on the road bike I don’t bother.

Mind you, all my bikes are technically illegal for the road because I don’t have amber reflectors on the pedals… go figure.

Master
    Question to the cyclists….how can you see where you're going? Ive seen loads of people using them on back roads and surely not having a constant spread of light is a bad thing considering the state of our roads?
    I’ve seen this recently loads of times on a very steep winding road I use to drive to work like having a single car light weaving towards you on main beam I too don’t see how they can be legal u can’t drive round with you car on full beam constantly

If you want to be visible, wearing a high vis vest is much more efficient than blinding the people you want to be visible to.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

They aren't for seeing where you're going. They're very good at making you visible, sorry you've had a bad experience with them. For night riding you do need to illuminate the road in front of you in a non-flashing fashion. I use both. The flashers only when the road is visible enough but conditions have started to get a bit gloomy, or for very well lit stretches of road.
    I don't see anything other than the flashing bright lights, i don't understand why you’d put being seen higher up the priority list than than seeing where you're going. As others have said theres other ways of being visible without blinding the oncoming traffic.

Master

Unhappy

As a cyclist a driver and motorcycle rider I can see all sides here.

During the day on my bicycle if Im riding in a group I wear a high viz gillet.

If Im riding on my own eg reduced presence, I run a flashing front and rear light all year round even in summer during the day.

If I ride at night I wear high vis and solid lights. As a rider it is horrible riding with a flashing front at night as it makes you feel ill. Additionally your vision is poor as you switch from illuminated to pitch black.

Regrettably riding a bicycle and a motorcycle is all about riding defensively. On a motorcycle you can adopt an assertive position on the road eg closer to the crown and away from the kerb because you can maintain traffic speed.

On a cycle this isnt an option so in the daylight lights and high vis are your only allies.

Addressing the op’s comments flashing front and rear lights at night is just dangerous for both parties.

Master
    I don't see anything other than the flashing bright lights, i don't understand why you’d put being seen higher up the priority list than than seeing where you're going.
    It helps to prevent motor vehicles from colliding with you. But you can have both easily; it's not either-or.

Master
    As ever with threads like these there’s a anti cyclist tone, the op invites ‘cyclists’ to explain why they do this with an intimation that all cyclists do this, obviously I can’t say if this was a conscious or unconscious position.

I use a number of lights on my bikes at night I have a solid white on the front and a relatively low powered flashing light and generally a red flash on the back. There have been studies that show drivers are more adapt to notice a flashing light than a steady beam, hence cyclists using them to draw attention. That said with the led output advances it’s easy for some cyclists to use over the top outputs and / or not adjust the focus point.

Now why is it that car drivers are using hi-beam all the time and blinding cyclists then ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t ride in the dark any more since some idiot fractured my hip. I also avoid cycle paths & cycle lanes for the same reason (I was knocked off on the Bristol-Bath cycle path (aka the Psycho Path) by another cyclist.
    However I do have a very bright flashing rear light for daytime riding. Flashing attracts attention better than constant. I also time trial and a rear daytime light is compulsory when racing. I’m not sure it has to be flashing but everybody seems to have that. Despite this there’s usually one or two deaths per year as a result of a driver ‘driving through’ the cyclist because they’re texting/on the internet/playing with the satnav at the time. In other words it’s not failsafe because it relies on the driver actually having their eyes on the road ahead at the time.
    I agree with FFF that a front flashing light is useless for seeing where you’re going on a bike.

He did ask cyclists “how do you see where you are going” which is something only a cyclist could answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    As ever with threads like these there’s a anti cyclist tone, the op invites ‘cyclists’ to explain why they do this with an intimation that all cyclists do this, obviously I can’t say if this was a conscious or unconscious position.

I use a number of lights on my bikes at night I have a solid white on the front and a relatively low powered flashing light and generally a red flash on the back. There have been studies that show drivers are more adapt to notice a flashing light than a steady beam, hence cyclists using them to draw attention. That said with the led output advances it’s easy for some cyclists to use over the top outputs and / or not adjust the focus point.

Now why is it that car drivers are using hi-beam all the time and blinding cyclists then ;-)
    Theres no anti-cyclist undertone at all, I’m inviting SOME cyclist to answer as clearly it’s SOME cyclist who use them, they can either answer or not, its really up to them. I don't recall seeing a pedestrian walking down a dimly lit road using one. Funnily enough i see them using a good old fashion torch which emits a white solid light. I don't believe motorists are blinding cyclists intentionally, i think its modern LED tech added with auto dipping lights that are the issue. I started a thread on here probably 18-24 months ago about that very subject where i was noticing getting blinded more frequently….i wasn’t alone with that assertion.
    I get that SOME cyclist need to be seen but i don’t understand the need for these massively high powered white flashing lights…other than to be seen they make no sense. They’re putting themselves at more risks of not seeing whats in front of them more that the chances of being hit from the front which is pretty stupid.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2022 at 12:22. Reason: SOMEone got offended

Master
    Theres no anti-cyclist undertone at all, I’m inviting cyclist to answer as clearly it’s cyclist who use them, they can either answer or not, its really up to them. I don't recall seeing a pedestrian walking down a dimly lit road using one. Funnily enough i see them using a good old fashion torch which emits a white solid light. I don't believe motorists are blinding cyclists intentionally, i think its modern LED tech added with auto dipping lights that are the issue. I started a thread on here probably 18-24 months ago about that very subject where i was noticing getting blinded more frequently….i wasn’t alone with that assertion.
    I get that cyclist need to be seen but i don’t understand the need for these massively high powered white flashing lights…other than to be seen they make no sense. They’re putting themselves at more risks of not seeing whats in front of them more that the chances of being hit from the front which is pretty stupid.
    Again not cyclists, some cyclists, you seem to have missed that bit…

Again not cyclists, some cyclists, you seem to have missed that bit…
    Jesus Christ, whether its cyclists or some cyclist they’re still cyclist.

Ive edited my first and last post for the easily offended.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2022 at 12:21.

I ride bicycles and motorbikes and I drive so can see all sides. However cyclists with lights over a 1000 lumens pointed deliberately high are a menace around here.

It is unnecessary to be seen and simply blinds drivers and pedestrians, arguably making it more dangerous. I have a front light that is 1600 lumens on full power, and I would not dream of having it that bright in the road. With streetlights I have it angled down, and flashing at 600 lumens. The full brightness is really too much even for mountain bike rides in the woods, no idea why so much power is necessary.

When I’m cycling in winter I often end up on unlit country roads with little traffic.

I often have:
    A front light blinking, probably 150 lumens, it says “I’m a bike”

A 1200 lumen light to see with, although it toggles between a high and low power setting, so if there is an oncoming car I switch it to low, then back when the car has gone past.

My rear red light is on blink, but if I’m really organised I might have a fixed one too, as it’s easier for the car behind me to judge distance.

In an urban environment you only need relatively low lumen front and rear lights

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Theres no anti-cyclist undertone at all, I’m inviting SOME cyclist to answer as clearly it’s SOME cyclist who use them, they can either answer or not, its really up to them. I don't recall seeing a pedestrian walking down a dimly lit road using one.
    If you were walking down a country lane without a footpath in the dark, you'd be well advised to. I can't remember when I last saw someone doing that, though.

If you were walking down a country lane without a footpath in the dark, you'd be well advised to. I can't remember when I last saw someone doing that, though.
    What’s wrong with hi-vis stuff which is now way better than it used to be? I drove past a guy running a few days ago on my side of the road coming towards me with an almost one piece thing on, it was very effective and you’d have to have been blind to miss him.

It's an ever escalating arms race out there with lighting.

Since cars almost never dip their lights for cyclists (or pedestrians), cyclists need brighter lights to actually see what's ahead of them.

This thread reminds me of that one years ago when the guy who bought expensive lights complained that poor people kept flashing him.

Ideally we need better regulation of the brightness of lights and ensure that auto dipping headlights work fairly for all road users.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    When I’m cycling in winter I often end up on unlit country roads with little traffic.

I often have:
    A front light blinking, probably 150 lumens, it says “I’m a bike”

A 1200 lumen light to see with, although it toggles between a high and low power setting, so if there is an oncoming car I switch it to low, then back when the car has gone past.

My rear red light is on blink, but if I’m really organised I might have a fixed one too, as it’s easier for the car behind me to judge distance.

In an urban environment you only need relatively low lumen front and rear lights
    My cycle home takes me through central London then the length of Epping Forest in the dark.

For the rear I have a hi viz backpack cover. An LED flashing on the back of my head and a fixed on under the seat post that is also a camera.

On the front I use a flashing LED light on its own until I get to Epping Forest when I turn on my Exposure Diablo in high setting so I can see the road.

In the city I think you've be safe without lights, but in the forest you need a lot of help.

Master
    What’s wrong with hi-vis stuff which is now way better than it used to be? I drove past a guy running a few days ago on my side of the road coming towards me with an almost one piece thing on, it was very effective and you’d have to have been blind to miss him.
    Well again it's not either-or, but lights are more effective. If they weren't, cars would be fitted with reflective panels instead of rear lights.

Master
    Jesus Christ, whether its cyclists or some cyclist they’re still cyclist.

Ive edited my first and last post for the easily offended.
    Who are the easily offended?

I’m sure you wouldn’t start a post asking

Why Blacks…
    Why gays…
    Why Irish…

As you’ve seen already the majority of cyclists who have answered you question either don’t use such lights or do but in what sounds like a appropriate fashion.

It’s really unhelpful to group people as a whole when trying to understand behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Regrettably riding a bicycle is all about riding defensively.
    Not if you ride off road…

Who are the easily offended?

I’m sure you wouldn’t start a post asking

Why Blacks…
    Why gays…
    Why Irish…

As you’ve seen already the majority of cyclists who have answered you question either don’t use such lights or do but in what sounds like a appropriate fashion.

It’s really unhelpful to group people as a whole when trying to understand behaviour
    Listen the overwhelming group of people who I’ve seen using these lights are cyclists
    I’m sorry you don’t understand that fact and can’t see the difference in the word cyclist when it’s used.
    Clearly you think I’ve got an agenda and if so crack on, think what you want.
    As for SOME cyclist using them in appropriate fashion, if they were being used in that way there’d be no need for posting.

Master
    Listen the overwhelming group of people who I’ve seen using these lights are cyclists
    I’m sorry you don’t understand that fact and can’t see the difference in the word cyclist when it’s used.
    Clearly you think I’ve got an agenda and if so crack on, think what you want.
    As for SOME cyclist using them in appropriate fashion, if they were being used in that way there’d be no need for posting.

Well that’s clear then
    The overwhelming users of bicycle lights are cyclists, thanks for clearing that up…

I’d ask you to quote where I accused you of having an agenda because I don’t thing I have I’ve simply pointed out that grouping all cyclists together is unhelpful.

There are enough responses here that show not all are using these high powered strobe lights.

Perhaps this was just meant to be a rant rather than a discussion as you don’t seem able to accept that not all cyclists are using them and that some cyclists are happy with high vis and lights and some seem to think that flashing lights have a place in there on road safety.

Let’s remember there are loads of folks out there unaware of there actions, some cycle, some drive some do both some neither…

I find if you blast them with 2000lm strobe torches they often hit a kerb and smash offending light in the crash caused, just a shame most dont have insurance..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I find if you blast them with 2000lm strobe torches they often hit a kerb and smash offending light in the crash caused, just a shame most dont have insurance..
    How often has this been successful for you…

How often has this been successful for you…
    If the strobe doesn’t work an umbrella through the front spokes finishes off any that get through

Well that’s clear then
    The overwhelming users of bicycle lights are cyclists, thanks for clearing that up…

I’d ask you to quote where I accused you of having an agenda because I don’t thing I have I’ve simply pointed out that grouping all cyclists together is unhelpful.

There are enough responses here that show not all are using these high powered strobe lights.

Perhaps this was just meant to be a rant rather than a discussion as you don’t seem able to accept that not all cyclists are using them and that some cyclists are happy with high vis and lights and some seem to think that flashing lights have a place in there on road safety.

Let’s remember there are loads of folks out there unaware of there actions, some cycle, some drive some do both some neither…
    Have you banged your head or something?

Well that’s clear then

As ever with threads like these there’s a anti cyclist tone, the op invites ‘cyclists’ to explain why they do this with an intimation that all cyclists do this

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Charming..

Master
    Well that’s clear then

As ever with threads like these there’s a anti cyclist tone, the op invites ‘cyclists’ to explain why they do this with an intimation that all cyclists do this
    So as you can read here I have not accused you of having an agenda, I have stated my believe that the op has a tone to it and I’m unsure if this is a conscious or unconscious position. After all you chose to group cyclists as a whole not me.

Also after pointing out that you had grouped all cyclists rather than observing that some cyclists undertook this behaviour, you response is to label some “easily offended” with a sarcastic edit tag

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; Today at 11:22. Reason: SOMEone got offended
    Though the more you rail against being challenged over the issue and wanting to know why good old hi-vis isn’t sufficient or even acknowledging that you wouldn’t start a thread talking about other groups as a whole does make me wonder if there isn’t some bias being enacted here…
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 23rd January 2022 at 17:29.

So as you can read here I have not accused you of having an agenda, I have stated my believe that the op has a tone to it and I’m unsure if this is a conscious or unconscious position. After all you chose to group cyclists as a whole not me.

Also after pointing out that you had grouped all cyclists rather than observing that some cyclists undertook this behaviour, you response is to label some “easily offended” with a sarcastic edit tag

Though the more you rail against being challenged over the issue and wanting to know why good old hi-vis isn’t sufficient or even acknowledging that you wouldn’t start a thread talking about other groups as a whole does make me wonder if there isn’t some bias being enacted here…
    It really is quite simple, from my first post i was asking how they are legal and how cyclists can see where they’re going. If you really want to prattle on about anything else be my guest. Go argue with yourself

Master
    It really is quite simple, from my first post i was asking how they are legal and how cyclists can see where they’re going. If you really want to prattle on about anything else be my guest. Go argue with yourself

Funny I thought I’d have a quick look, no history of bias at all…

Not sure the video works but it’s John Wayne shooting cyclists.

Cyclists are as close as we have to Gods
    You’ve spelt gods wrong, it’s T * * * S.

Can’t be bothered to read all that- seems you’re a little wound up of all the nasty commnets. There’s bell***s on our roads coming from all angles but cyclist make up the largest proportion of the biggest bell***s
    In the main made of up nearly 30 years of anecdotal experience
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 23rd January 2022 at 18:45. Reason: Removed the swear word

Funny I thought I’d have a quick look, no history of bias at all…

Not sure the video works but it’s John Wayne shooting cyclists.
    And what exactly has any of that got to do with this post?

I stand by my comment that even now i still see a higher % of cyclists being idiots per user than motorists.

But seeing as you have a penchant for searching old posts you missed this one….just to show you that I’m not a fully paid up member of “ Hang the bar steward cyclists “
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Cyclist
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2022 at 19:29.

Master
    Not enough trouble making in the BP for you Herr Kapitän?

Get over yourself

Craftsman
    I haven't read all the responses to this thread but I can imagine the comments.

Here is my 2p worth...

As a club road rider and ex-commuter I wear clothing with hi viz markers, I have a solid white light for seeing, a blinking white front and blinking red rear lights. The blinking front light isn't powerful enough to blind anyone, though the solid on light certainly is. But the point of that light is to light the road ahead so it shouldn't be blinding anyone.
    I occasionally see cyclists with a blinding white front light blinking away but its a rare thing because the blinking does detract from spotting pot holes and the like. in the dark.

I will admit, someone complaining about my lights blinding them wouldn't change a thing. You've seen me and that's what matters because the alternative is an inconvenience to you but life changing for me.
    I have been T boned whilst wearing one of the best hi viz commuter jackets and hope never to be hit by a vehicle again.

If you are being blinded by flashing lights have you considered it may be your eyesight. Headlights blinding me were the catalyst for visiting the optician and ultimately the starting point of me wearing glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post

Here is my 2p worth...

As a club road rider and ex-commuter I wear clothing with hi viz markers, I have a solid white light for seeing, a blinking white front and blinking red rear lights. The blinking front light isn't powerful enough to blind anyone, though the solid on light certainly is. But the point of that light is to light the road ahead so it shouldn't be blinding anyone.
    I occasionally see cyclists with a blinding white front light blinking away but its a rare thing because the blinking does detract from spotting pot holes and the like. in the dark.

I will admit, someone complaining about my lights blinding them wouldn't change a thing. You've seen me and that's what matters because the alternative is an inconvenience to you but life changing for me.
    I have been T boned whilst wearing one of the best hi viz commuter jackets and hope never to be hit by a vehicle again.

If you are being blinded by flashing lights have you considered it may be your eyesight. Headlights blinding me were the catalyst for visiting the optician and ultimately the starting point of me wearing glasses.
    More than an inconvenience. Blinding them means just that (obviously temporarily) - they could miss a pedestrian or poorly lit cyclist.

Master
    Some cyclists use stupidly bright lights and occasionally they are angled in such a way that they blind other road users. A bit like being in a small car heading towards a comparatively taller SUV with LEDs: the throw of the light makes it hazardous. It may be an eyesight thing for a few but more likely it's what I've described.

You can still be seen with a bright light aimed at the road in front of you, rather than at the eyes of whoever is approaching you.

I hope you don't mind me saying that your response, barreti, is very short sighted, pun intended. Blinding other road users makes everyone less safe.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 23rd January 2022 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post

Here is my 2p worth...

Why blind someone when you could quite easily be better seen with good quality hi-vis or reflective gear?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2022 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Some cyclists use stupidly bright lights and occasionally they are angled in such a way that they blind other road users. A bit like being in a small car heading towards a comparatively taller SUV with LEDs: the throw of the light makes it hazardous. It may be an eyesight thing for a few but more likely it's what I've described.

You can still be seen with a bright light aimed at the road in front of you, rather than at the eyes of whoever is approaching you.

I hope you don't mind me saying that your response, barreti, is very short sighted, pun intended. Blinding other road users makes everyone less safe.
    I'll make my point again. As a cyclist I need really bright lights because cars don't dip their lights and I can't see a thing without them. I ride in an unlit road through a forest, so need the light need to illuminate the way ahead.

Master
    I have a 1600 lumen handlebar light, but it has a "low beam" mode that I use on the street. Full beam only in the forest, mountain biking, where you really need all that light power.

Why blind someone when you could quite easily be better seen with good quality hi-vis?
    If high vis is any good why not cover cars in it and not bother with lights?

Cyclists still need lights to see where they are going.

Master
    I'm not making any point about your need to see the road. I felt I made a clear point about the angle of the beam.

But maybe not.