closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina DS-2 caseback gasket

Craftsman

Certina DS-2 caseback gasket

I may have been a bit foolish (again) and decided to swap the battery on my Certina DS-2 precidrive chrono myself. The process went fine until the time came to press the caseback on. It would seem that the pixies (or the dog) have made off with my caseback gasket and I have no way of now refitting the caseback. I've searched online but cannot find the size needed or a replacement listed for my watch.

Can anyone help me source a replacement?

Thanks.

Master
    Have you tried Cousins - I did look but can’t search without a case number
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/f...se-parts-other

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Have you tried Cousins - I did look but can’t search without a case number
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/f...se-parts-other
    Thanks, I had tried them but my case number is C024447A and the site says it's not listed

Grand Master
    I assume the seal is an O ring?

Repairers usually keep a large stock in all available sizes, a replacement can then be found by trial fitting and finding one that’s right. Trying to order what you think is the right one is far more difficult, I learned that a long time ago. An accurate digital caliper will help, a piece of blu- tac or Rodico helps when assessing the thickness, but you’ll still end up having to order more than one size to find the correct fit.

My advice is to have another look for the original, searching for small parts is a technique in itself and most people aren’t good at it because they don’t do it often enough.

I’ve said it many times but I’ll say it again, work on a tray and work in good light. Place any small part (screw, caseback seal, battery clamp etc) in a small dish once its removed. Parts should be in the watch or in the dish, never left on an open bench or table.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I assume the seal is an O ring?

Repairers usually keep a large stock in all available sizes, a replacement can then be found by trial fitting and finding one that’s right. Trying to order what you think is the right one is far more difficult, I learned that a long time ago. An accurate digital caliper will help, a piece of blu- tac or Rodico helps when assessing the thickness, but you’ll still end up having to order more than one size to find the correct fit.

My advice is to have another look for the original, searching for small parts is a technique in itself and most people aren’t good at it because they don’t do it often enough.

I’ve said it many times but I’ll say it again, work on a tray and work in good light. Place any small part (screw, caseback seal, battery clamp etc) in a small dish once its removed. Parts should be in the watch or in the dish, never left on an open bench or table.
    I know, I've onlhy myself to blame. I didn't even see the gasket when I took the caseback off, but when refitting, the caseback is loose on the case without it. It's a pressed on so I'm not sure if this is a rubber O ring or a mor erigid plastic gasket. I may have to admit defeat and take it to a local watch guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    I know, I've onlhy myself to blame. I didn't even see the gasket when I took the caseback off, but when refitting, the caseback is loose on the case without it. It's a pressed on so I'm not sure if this is a rubber O ring or a mor erigid plastic gasket. I may have to admit defeat and take it to a local watch guy.

Do it.

Unless you find the original it will probably save a you a lot of grief.

As Paul said watch repairers always have multiple sizes.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I’m no expert but if it’s loose without it could it be more of a nylon gasket like some of the Citizen Eco drive watches
    I had a Red arrows one that used one
    You could measure the Caseback and case aperture - might give you an idea of the nylon gasket needed

Grand Master
    Sounds like its one of the hard plastic/ nylon type, it’ll probably be red or dark green. Generic ones are available but the caseback will need measuring carefully to get the right one. Even then a replacement might need trimming to fit.

If you retrace your steps you should be able to find it, its either dropped off the caseback or the case itself and its got to be somewhere. It’s worth spending an hour looking, it’ll save you a lot of hassle if you can find it. If you’ve vacuumed the floor since losing it I would go through the vacuum cleaner, not the nicest of jobs but but it could be in there. If the dog’s eaten it you can guess where it’ll re- appear.

Craftsman
    Thanks all for advice on this, I was unable to find the original gasket (as I suspected) but measured with vernier calipers and was able to order a new one from the bay.I'm wearing the watch as I type now. It was 36.5mm OD if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by gunman; 29th January 2022 at 20:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Thanks all for advice on this, I was unable to find the original gasket (as I suspected) but measured with vernier calipers and was able to order a new one from the bay.I'm wearing the watch as I type now. It was 36.5mm OD if anyone is interested.
    Good