closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spring bars: small, cheap, insignificant but important. Which are best?

Spring bars: small, cheap, insignificant but important. Which are best?

I've got lots of old spring bars in various sizes (lengths and diameters) but is there a type or brand or seller which are best?

The reason for asking is that I took an old Omega bracelet off the other day and the spring bar had some serious strength, i.e. it took a lot of pulling power to compress it. I was impressed.

Then I wondered about the quality of cheap (Chinese?) ones.

Then I thought about the diameter: 1.8mm seems standard; smaller if you needed to fit through the "pipe" of a strap or bracelet, larger if used with a perlon or NATO. Going as big as you can seems to make sense as you don't want them bending.

Watches worth thousands are held on our wrists by these little things that cost pennies, so it makes sense to buy and fit the best. After all, the consequences of a springbar failure could be catastrophic.

A quick search threw up some options:

https://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html#18367

("these Swiss made spring bars are assembled by hand in a small village in Switzerland. When you want the best spring bars in the world made from the best materials, then you buy these Swiss made bars." Well OK! But shipping to the UK is about £50!)

Or these:

https://www.jurgensgermany.com/shop/...ail?Itemid=195

("Our best Spring bars. The strongest and the most powerful ss Spring bars on the Market (also used by ROLEX) Swiss made ss 316 LS Steel. The special springs are 3 times more powerful then on cheap import spring bars")

Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences?

You won't find better quality than Cousins. More types and sizes than you could ever want including Swiss 316L Stainless. The single flange 1.8mm have wider tips than the double flange (oo-er).

Fill yer boots: https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/fittings-spring-bars

Master
    Does anyone make titanium spring bars? I ask because even stainless steel can, eventually, rust if immersed in seawater enough (it's happened to me).

From what I believe the 22mm shoulderless ones used by Sinn on their U1 are titanium. I bought a U1 recently, and was quite impressed with the build quality and apparently durability of the OEM Sinn shoulderless springbars, a bit of google-fu led me to believe they're ti. I ordered a few extra and the invoice looks to confirm this, even though it's in German. Titan?

They may not fit every 22mm watch as the U1 has drilled lugs, and as I mentioned the bars are shoulderless. But I have to say though so far I'm very happy with the overall quality etc.

Master
    Sorry if it’s a silly question, but do shoulderless springbars go by a different name? I tried looking for some on Cousins site but couldn’t seem to find any.

Thanks, Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Sorry if it’s a silly question, but do shoulderless springbars go by a different name? I tried looking for some on Cousins site but couldn’t seem to find any.

Thanks, Andy
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/si...iso-swiss-316l

Recently bought a load myself…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Thanks Neil! I did wonder if those were the right ones but good to have it confirmed.