closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage pens etc

Vintage pens etc

I have my late mothers Parker fountain pen (she died young in 1985) and it has not been used since. I suspect it dates from late 1950’s or early 1960’s.

I also have my late grandmothers yard-O-led pencil.

Photos below. Paperwork in fab condition. I would actually use the fountain pen. I think it’s the only possession of my mum that I have so I would want to get it serviced etc by someone really good. Any recommendations from people who have recent service work done ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Battersea Pen Home could service your fountain pen.

https://www.penhome.co.uk/pages/pen-repairs

Based in Hexham now.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 21st January 2022 at 13:23.

I used to restore them once apon a time.

If you dont want to pay someone more than the pen is worth to restore it :

Get a hair drier and gently heat the top 1/4 ( the nib end )
    This slowly softens the glue enough for it to unscrewed ( may take several attempts and some pens are worse than other but take your time and take care not to overheat the area )

Unscrew it and seperate all the nib end parts ( watch a youtube video, its easy enough )

Again its the same thing to remove the metal cover that sits over the ink sac, you heat up the the joint ( this part slides off and is not screwed )

If the ink sac is not broken then leave it in place ( the modern replacements are crap and the originals are gold dust )

Wash everything thoroughly with warm water and an old toothbrush or something. Squeeze the inc sac over and over while under warm water to clean it.

Use metal polish on the nib to get it like new.

When all clean dry it all in airing cupboard or somewhere warm

Reassemble when all bone dry ( again watch a youtube video, plenty show how to do it )

Buy a small bag of shellac and small bottle of Mineralised Methylated Spirits and mix ( google the ratio, i forget what it is but you mix them to make a sort of glue )

Use a small art brush to brush the glue mix sparingly onto the threads to screw back the top part that you heated up and unscrewed earlier.
    ( this part is the pain in the bum and can take several attempts until you get the nib hood to line up with the nib 100% perfectly.

Re-glue the metal cover that goes over the ink sac also.

Leave it overnight for the glue to cure properly.

Re-ink and test the pen for leaks.

If your lucky it will be as good as new, if your very lucky the nib wont be worn out and writes better than most modern fountain pens.
    Last edited by xellos99; 21st January 2022 at 15:35.

Looks like a Parker 51 ... try filling / emptying with warm soapy water several times followed by clear water ... preferably distilled water ... Then fill with ink ... if ink flow is OK will not require an expensive service.
    Parker 51 pens are fairly easy to dismantle and clean / service yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZngCb0P5WY
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Journeyman
    I’ve used Peter Twydle - recommended

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/repairs.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic pen, a real joy to write with (I have my late mother's, too).
    I believe Parker will service them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.