closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Socket switch tripping RCD

Socket switch tripping RCD

Wondering if somebody might be able to explain. I had a socket in the office that would randomly trip the RCD when flicking the switch off.

The socket has now been replaced but something strange that I’ve noticed which I don’t understand. That socket was used to power my laptop and a screen, with the old socket when I switched it off the screen led would go off after around 10-12 seconds.

With the new socket it now goes off as soon as the socket is switched off.

Could the old socket have been arching for those 10 or so seconds? I opened it up out of curiosity and apart from some blackened switch contacts there was nothing else that I could see.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 21st January 2022 at 12:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Wondering if somebody might be able to explain. I had a socket jn the office that would randomly trip the RCD when flicking the switch in it off.

The socket has now been replaced but something strange that I’ve noticed which I don’t understand. That socket was used to power my laptop and a screen, with the old socket when I switched it off the screen led would go off after around 10-12 seconds.

With the new socket it now goes off as soon as the socket is switched off.

Could the old socket have been arching for those 10 or so seconds?I opened it up out of curiosity and apart from some blackened switch contacts there was nothing else that I could see.
    Probably just a sticky switch. Especially if there was blackening it meant that there was arcing going on which could account for flow not stopping immediately switch thrown

Master
    One possibility, the old switch was single pole (only broke Line), the new socket switch is double pole (breaks both Line and Neutral)?

No the old was a double pole/throw as I opened it up hoping that I would see melted bits

Well things got strange! Noticed over the last week that sometimes the monitor immediately powers off but other times the power led in it stays lit for some 10 seconds before slowly dimming.

No idea why it behaves differently on some days?

Ok i know that I’m talking to myself but as this was driving me mad I wanted to get to bottom of it.

Turns out the monitor delay in switching off is nothing to do with the original problem and replacing the face plate has fixed the random tripping of the RCD.

The monitor and how it powers off, so immediately or slowly ebbing away after 10+ seconds is all to do with what mode the monitor is in. So it was being used and the LED indicator on the front is green then switching off the power would result in the green LED going off as soon as the power is switched off. If however it was in standby/power save mode, the LED would be orange/amber and in this case the power would slowly ebb away.

Phew, glad I figured it out as at the back of mind I was wondering if there was/were other issues with the ring

Makes sense!

Master

It’s that kinda thing that keeps you awake at night!

Makes sense once youve explained it. Bet you are pleased to have got to the bottom of it!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk