closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 67

Thread: Idris Elba

  1. #1
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    Idris Elba

    He has been named before, but his chances of being the new Bond are not over/are getting bigger.

    https://deadline.com/2022/01/no-time...ew-1234915715/

    I must say that I've seen a series with him training to become a fighter (or boxer?). I really liked the authentic Elba. After all, he could not play a 'role' in the ring.
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st January 2022 at 11:10.

  2. #2
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,743
    Right now, he could play Bond in a one-off.

    Bearing in mind that Daniel Craig had a 15 year stint, if Idris did the same he'd be 65 by the end of it. No chance now, he's missed the boat.

  3. #3
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    At his best in the Wire for me.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    I do love him but he is far too old to start a Bond stint

    They only seem to knock them out every 4-5 years now

  5. #5
    Craftsman halfpasttwothirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Deep North
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    At his best in the Wire for me.

  6. #6
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,034
    A British agent perhaps, but not James Bond.
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    London/Surrey
    Posts
    237
    Like Idris a lot, Luther was a great show but he’s passed it now. I’d like to see a relatively unknown actor given a shot like they did with Connery


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,521
    One of my all time favorite posts, which appeared in a thread a little while back also discussing the possibility of a black James Bond.

    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    For the forth time today Bond had been pulled over by police, "is this your car sir", he dug his finger nails into the palm of his hand and fought the urge to reach for his Walther

  9. #9
    I fancy George mackay for the role after seeing him in the true history of the Kelly gang .

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,148
    Isn’t James Bond dead?

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Right now, he could play Bond in a one-off.

    Bearing in mind that Daniel Craig had a 15 year stint, if Idris did the same he'd be 65 by the end of it. No chance now, he's missed the boat.
    That would work. Bond feels so formulaic and stodgy. It’s like the studio is too scared to even remotely damage the cash cow. A one off would give some freedom, a bit like the Joker movie

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    642
    I don't care about his age, Idris Elba would be a great and exciting Bond in my opinion.

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,106
    I would like Idris Elba or Tom Hardy personally. However, the lesser known actors are possibly more likley, Rege-Jean Page is apparently a favourite at the moment. Maybe he is very famous but I have no idea who he is.

    p.s. I hardly watch Bond so my opinion is less valid than most.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    870
    There’s been so much speculation over Idris Elba becoming Bond for such a long time I think he’s possibly too obvious a choice at this stage, even though he’d be great - I’ll throw Riz Ahmed, or Dev Patel into the mix as ‘next’ Bond options.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    There’s been so much speculation over Idris Elba becoming Bond for such a long time I think he’s possibly too obvious a choice at this stage, even though he’d be great - I’ll throw Riz Ahmed, or Dev Patel into the mix as ‘next’ Bond options.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Riz was my choice in the other thread, he's a phenomenal actor and would make a fantastic Bond. Would play it very differently to DC and take Bond to an interesting place.

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Great actor indeed but far too old now to start, let alone in a few years.

    Memory may be playing tricks but, I think all the Bond actors were never favourites to get the gig at the time nor were massive film actors - Craig wasn’t a bookies choice, Connery not well known, Moore known for tv and fairly sure Dalton more theatre and serious actor (okay there was Flash!). Only obvious one was Brosnan who had got offered the part before but couldn’t get out of Remington Steel so couldn’t do it.

    Next Bond will be someone more likely be someone that most of us have never heard of.

    As to where they take Bond, who knows - I’d quite like a Royal Navy Bond in his early 20’s, SBS possibly, showing an aptitude for what Bond becomes, set in the 1950’s maybe.

  17. #17
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    14,983
    Blog Entries
    1
    If they were casting this now, they'd probably choose Timothy bloody Chalamet.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If they were casting this now, they'd probably choose Timothy bloody Chalamet.
    Tom Holland has been fairly open that he wants the gig...

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Riz was my choice in the other thread, he's a phenomenal actor and would make a fantastic Bond. Would play it very differently to DC and take Bond to an interesting place.

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Just don't know that he can convincingly do hard and deadly when it's called for, isn't he a bit on the slight side, though suppose he could hit the gym...He looked kinda skinny, nerdy next to Tom Hardy in Venom sans CGI, obviously he was playing a megalomaniac billionaire science geek so the role called for it, I dunno about BOND though.

    Ironically real world he'd be a better fit for Mi6, infiltrating terrorist networks, than a too smooth white bloke with loads of trademark tells and habits.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd January 2022 at 09:12.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Just don't know that he can convincingly do hard and deadly when it's called for, isn't he a bit on the slight side, though suppose he could hit the gym...He looked kinda skinny, nerdy next to Tom Hardy in Venom sans CGI, obviously he was playing a megalomaniac billionaire science geek so the role called for it, I dunno about BOND though.

    Ironically real world he'd be a better fit for Mi6, infiltrating terrorist networks, than a too smooth white bloke with loads of trademark tells and habits.
    I completely understand your reservations there, but would urge you to watch 'A Night Of' - a superb mini-series that allows Ahmed to display real range. Trust me, he can do brooding danger!

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I completely understand your reservations there, but would urge you to watch 'A Night Of' - a superb mini-series that allows Ahmed to display real range. Trust me, he can do brooding danger!

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Did try that series but we gave up a few episodes in, can't really recollect or put my finger on exactly why now, Turturro played his lawyer, he had a skin condition or something...was Naz the killer in the end? Looked like a set up to me early on, or was audience meant to think that...

  22. #22
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,034
    It's not an easy gig really. The character needs someone who can melt into the background in a dinner jacket, making small talk with the 'cultured classes', with extreme violence lurking just below the surface. I thought Craig was a good fit.
    Not convinced by the choices for a replacement so far.
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Fassbender would of been a good choice but also too late for him.

  24. #24
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Matt Smith

  25. #25
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Henry Cavill, age 38 so he could probably do at least 4, maybe 5 movies...He was good in Man from Uncle, got the physical/action chops, even got a slight touch of the Hoagy Carmichael about him...Just considering, mulling on the prospects names so far.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd January 2022 at 16:32.

  26. #26
    Henry Cavill a bit too big physically?

    Riz Ahmed would be interesting

    Jack o Connell might work or Taron Edgerton

  27. #27
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Henry Cavill a bit too big physically?

    Riz Ahmed would be interesting

    Jack o Connell might work or Taron Edgerton
    OR Tom Holland come to that if it's to be young/ baby Bond.

    Dunno I'd say Cavill's too big, he's tall 6ft 1inch..what heights IE..6 2...both got a fair few inches on DC!...Cavill could I'm guessing lose a bit of that Superman/ Witcher heft, if the role needed it...I suppose I'm saying he wouldn't look out of place, odd to me at least as a Bond, also he offers the longevity to potentially make a decent fist of it, wouldn't require another reboot after 2 movies...Though I'd personally rather they let it, the franchise, 'rest' for a bit.

  28. #28
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Just give it to Henry Cavill already. He wants the part, looks the part and would be enthusiastic about the role.
    I hadn't happened to see this before, back in the noughties seems he was a little chubby for the role,

    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/22/e...ond/index.html

    reckon he probably deserves the part.

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    661

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As to where they take Bond, who knows - I’d quite like a Royal Navy Bond in his early 20’s, SBS possibly, showing an aptitude for what Bond becomes, set in the 1950’s maybe.
    I agree. This could be very interesting.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,183
    15 years too late. In 2006, yes. Now, 1 or 2 films. Set in 90s +. Not 50s.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    774
    I think he would have been good but a bit too old now. Tom Hardy has also been mentioned but it isn’t a gig he needs, he has a high enough profile.

    Some interesting suggestions here:

    https://fb.watch/aI4Hgc0Xxh/

    Tom Hiddleston or the lesser known Henry Golding would be good.
    Last edited by GMC41; 22nd January 2022 at 20:25.

  32. #32
    Hiddleston would be a rubbish Bond.
    Last edited by Ventura; 22nd January 2022 at 21:29.

  33. #33
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Hiddleston would be a rubbish Bond.
    Agree, likewise Lewis, smirk much.

    IF it's to be a black Bond I rated the sheer physical performance and passion of the bloke who played Killmonger in Black Panther Michael B Jordan...mid 30's, 5 11.

  34. #34
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,743
    I don't care if the next Bond is black, white or green. Not a single f**k.

    But I draw the line at American, it cannot be allowed to happen!

  35. #35
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't care if the next Bond is black, white or green. Not a single f**k.

    But I draw the line at American, it cannot be allowed to happen!
    Don't get why it matters, Lazenby played the role and he's a Aussie. For me IE's best performance was as a Yank, Stringer Bell.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd January 2022 at 22:28.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    At his best in the Wire for me.
    Good old Stringer Bell.

  37. #37
    Craftsman Linocut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    north uk
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Good old Stringer Bell.
    He was amazing. Never occured to me that he might not be American. Same with McNulty. But he is all about the brooding menace, I can't see him doing the deadly hand to hand stuff that sean Connery and Daniel Craig did so well.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Isn’t James Bond dead?
    This. James Bond is no more, surely?

    007 is available but not Bond. As for EA taking the role... maybe though I can't see it personally.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    “James Bond Will Return”

    End credits of No Time To Die

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    GMT +9.5
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    This. James Bond is no more, surely?

    007 is available but not Bond. As for EA taking the role... maybe though I can't see it personally.
    Why not? They rebooted the storyline with Casino Royale so no reason they can’t do it again with the next actor to take over the role.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  41. #41
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Don't get why it matters, Lazenby played the role and he's a Aussie. For me IE's best performance was as a Yank, Stringer Bell.
    It doesn't, I wasn't remotely serious.

  42. #42
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    5,695
    Rylan Clark……………….

  43. #43
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,034
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Rylan Clark……………….
    At least Bond would get a good deal on his mowtah!
    Although his ability to melt into the background might be somewhat compromised.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    West Sussex, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    7,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agree, likewise Lewis, smirk much.

    IF it's to be a black Bond I rated the sheer physical performance and passion of the bloke who played Killmonger in Black Panther Michael B Jordan...mid 30's, 5 11.
    That's twice you have bought skin colour in to this debate. It's the 21st century remember, we don't worry about colour any more...

  45. #45
    I thought the guy who played Set Arthur Dayne in GOT would be great, but he's 44 now.

  46. #46
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    17,702
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That's twice you have bought skin colour in to this debate. It's the 21st century remember, we don't worry about colour any more...
    Then my heartfelt apologies didn't mean offence.

  47. #47
    Except for Idris, only Richard Madden looks manly enough to play the part. All the others look like pretty boys and slightly effeminate in comparison.

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,109
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That's twice you have bought skin colour in to this debate. It's the 21st century remember, we don't worry about colour any more...
    It's not quite as simple as that. Bond is a very well established character over 60 years in the films alone, and so far he hasn't been a black man. I don't see a person's race as being a disposable element of their identity personally, so why change the Bond character? Why give him a different backstory?

    There's no reason at all that Idris Elba couldn't make a cracking action film as a British spy character. But making him 007 is an unnecessary continuity clanger.

    You wouldn't remake Shaft with Henry Cavill or Tom Hardy, would you?

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    It's not quite as simple as that. Bond is a very well established character over 60 years in the films alone, and so far he hasn't been a black man.
    Like Felix and Money Penny?

  50. #50
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,962
    I was thinking Meat Loaf, but that train has left the station.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information