closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MHEV PHEV -PHEW what do I need to know?

Blog Entries
    I like the idea that the PHEV can be charged from a 3pin socket outlet. Handy if speed isn’t a requirement when charging at home.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info folks it’s much appreciated. F Pace SE P400e PHEV it is then! 6-9 months apparently.

Craftsman
    Great choice and you will enjoy that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Great choice and you will enjoy that
    I think so. I have the previous model F pace and went to look at the new model yesterday. Lot's of improvements and impressed with it. Also a new sat nav, so the old JLR 'let's go down a farm track' one is hopefully a thing of the past!

Blog Entries
    Well I'm collecting a PHEV F-Pace Wednesday, and from what I can see in the specs it comes with a 'public charging cable' only.

So do I need a separate charging cable to charge at home if have a charge point put in? I'm going to get a 3-pin Mode 2 cable to start with as it will be charged overnight and will see how that works out, are they all the same?

Perhaps I should have ordered it as an accessory but didn't realise that at the time!

Master
    You can get the home charging cables from Screwfix for a lot less than jag would charge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    You can get the home charging cables from Screwfix for a lot less than jag would charge
    Thanks will take a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks will take a look.
    This one is worth a look as well;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9481871

Wouldn’t recommend setting it to more than 10A on a U.K. 13A socket though, unless you’re very sure of the house wiring.

I am surprised it doesn't come with anything to charge it.

As it is only a PHEV then 13 amp supply will be sufficient as it is a small battery and time to charge be less important.

That said, if you are having to pay a few hundred for the charger then I would consider putting that towards an EV charger solution instead which will probably cost 600 but be much faster and useful if you get an EV at some point.

Otherwise get teh PodPoint app and charge for free at Tesco !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I am surprised it doesn't come with anything to charge it.

As it is only a PHEV then 13 amp supply will be sufficient as it is a small battery and time to charge be less important.

That said, if you are having to pay a few hundred for the charger then I would consider putting that towards an EV charger solution instead which will probably cost 600 but be much faster and useful if you get an EV at some point.

Otherwise get teh PodPoint app and charge for free at Tesco !
    Thanks again for the advice. I wanted a 3-pin charger just in case it was ever needed if we were away somewhere anyway. I'll probably get a chargepoint at home in the near future all being well.

How do I know if I need a 'Mode 2 type 2' or 'Mode 2 Type 1' charger lead?

Bet they're quite busy at Tescos if it's free!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    This one is worth a look as well;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9481871

Wouldn’t recommend setting it to more than 10A on a U.K. 13A socket though, unless you’re very sure of the house wiring.
    Thanks.

The wiring should be ok but will set it low as you say just to be on the safe side. Speed won't be an issue.

MHEV PHEV -PHEW what do I need to know?

Thanks again for the advice. I wanted a 3-pin charger just in case it was ever needed if we were away somewhere anyway. I'll probably get a chargepoint at home in the near future all being well.

Very few vehicles use type1 these days as type 2 are the top half of CCS. Most use CCS/type 2 as it means only having one charge port to suit both ac and dc charging.

Your Jag will almost certainly be type2

Does the car come with a cable at least ? Otherwise you would be better off spending the money on a cable so you can charge for free (the pay chargers mostly have cables) rather than borrow electricity from friends.

I know it is new to you, but using my Tesla as an example - the 13 Amp 3 pin charger charges at 4mph. So if you visit a friend and borrow their electricity in a few hours it will have topped the battery up for you - but why ? So you can drive 30 miles before it is flat and the motor kicks in for the rest of the journey home ?

I really think you will find it a waste of money vs getting a proper charger. That said - I don't think a PHEV needs more than a 3 pin but I would spend my money on a home charge point over a portable 13A charger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Very few vehicles use type1 these days as type 2 are the top half of CCS. Most use CCS/type 2 as it means only having one charge port to suit both ac and dc charging.

Your Jag will almost certainly be type2
    Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Does the car come with a cable at least ? Otherwise you would be better off spending the money on a cable so you can charge for free (the pay chargers mostly have cables) rather than borrow electricity from friends.

I know it is new to you, but using my Tesla as an example - the 13 Amp 3 pin charger charges at 4mph. So if you visit a friend and borrow their electricity in a few hours it will have topped the battery up for you - but why ? So you can drive 30 miles before it is flat and the motor kicks in for the rest of the journey home ?

I really think you will find it a waste of money vs getting a proper charger. That said - I don't think a PHEV needs more than a 3 pin but I would spend my money on a home charge point over a portable 13A charger.
    It comes with what they call a 'Public charging cable'. The reason I was thinking of getting the 3 pin charger was that 99% of the time I'm sure it will be quick enough to use as it will easily charge overnight. If that turns out to be the case then the home charge point can wait. If I was away from home I doubt I'd use the electric only setting, probably staying in hybrid mode most of the time to conserve the power as long as possible. When at home the electric only mode will be enough for most of the shorter journeys shopping/local etc. I see your point though thanks.

I am glad it comes with a cable at least. I agree that 13 amp would be sufficient for the size of battery you will have and the whole point of the PHEV is to have an "aways full" car on the drive so you need some solution.

The Tesla charger can accommodate a commando plug with 16 or 32 amp supply so depending what you have at your house it could be worth buying one with this capability.

I think if forced to pay for the charger, whilst tempting and OK I would put my money towards a faster solution despite the appeal of PHEV being you don't necessarily need all the infrastructure a full BEV does ( I managed for a few months without as was moving house but it was painful).

Enjoy the car either way PHEV is what I am suggesting my Dad buys next as it does seem a great solution for many people.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the advice, have ordered one of these, so will at least get started and will see how it goes from there. First time charging away from home should be fun! Will have to do it though just to see how it works. Had som advice on that in the other EV thread.

Thanks again.

Master
    I've had my Pivotal supplied RR Vogue SE P400e for almost 3 months now and despite You Tube reviewers claiming it charges on the overrun,downhill and braking and a meter on the dash showing Charging I can't get it to increase the shown battery range under any conditions it just continues to go down gradually even in Save mode.
    The highest mileage I can get in EV battery mode from full charge is less than 30 miles so most of the time I lock it in Save and re-charge it for 7 hours once or twice a week to top it up.
    if it wasn't for the huge BIK saving I wouldn't have another one, the fuel cost and range of about 350 miles on a full tank (£120) at about 25 mpg are dreadful compared with my previous Q7 diesel at 35mpg for over 600 miles per tank..

Master
    From watching “Fully Charged” on YT I gather they really don’t rate hybrids. As in you are kind of the worse of both worlds rather than the best. You haul around more weight than either fossil fuel or electric and have poorer ranges. Just get a full electric is their mantra if you want that type of vehicle as range anxiety is pretty much a thing of the past if you plan any long journey.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    From watching “Fully Charged” on YT I gather they really don’t rate hybrids. As in you are kind of the worse of both worlds rather than the best. You haul around more weight than either fossil fuel or electric and have poorer ranges. Just get a full electric is their mantra if you want that type of vehicle as range anxiety is pretty much a thing of the past if you plan any long journey.
    Plus twice the complexity and servicing costs that of an ICE (or greater) rather than that of a cheaper EV.

Blog Entries
    Well, collected the car today, F-Pace P400e R Dynamic SE. First driving impressions good, plenty of power and very smooth. In SAVE mode the range appeared to increase, and in hybrid the leccy seemed to be lasting well.

On charge now with the granny charger, plugged it in at 4.16 this afternoon on 0% charge and it's up to 36% now at 6.18. Salesman was saying that even when they show 0% charge they still have some in reserve if you boot it. Can believe it, as seemed to happen that way earlier.

Later this week will try the first 'public' charger. Apparently a Tesco's near us has one of their free chargers so will go for some 'non essential' weight gain shopping and see if I can scalp some electric off them! Should be fun but more of an exercise to see if I can work it in case we need it sometime when we are out. Next quest will be a pay leccery point.

Now to figure out how all the other stuff works on the car!

Blog Entries
    To Tesco's this morning, and does the future work? Had to download an app for Podpoint and pick a charge point. So chose a 7kw one and followed the simple instructions. 5 minutes later and car is charging and we're off to see what Tesco's have to offer. An hour later and we're off home with the leccy topped up. Next time will try the 22kw one perhaps. All easy stuff so far, next will try a pay per charge point but no rush as mostly will be charging at home.

Master
    To Tesco's this morning, and does the future work? Had to download an app for Podpoint and pick a charge point. So chose a 7kw one and followed the simple instructions. 5 minutes later and car is charging and we're off to see what Tesco's have to offer. An hour later and we're off home with the leccy topped up. Next time will try the 22kw one perhaps. All easy stuff so far, next will try a pay per charge point but no rush as mostly will be charging at home.
    I think the max AC charge rate on the car is 7.2kW, so it will charge at the same rate on a 22kW charger as a 7.2kW one.

I think your car also rapid chargers though, albeit at a 32kW rate on a DC rapid charger, so no point connecting to anything more than 50kW.

Should be fun but more of an exercise to see if I can work it in case we need it sometime when we are out.
    It’s a PHEV, you should never actually “need” to charge as you’ve got a petrol (or diesel?) engine for when you run out of electric.

Blog Entries
    It’s a PHEV, you should never actually “need” to charge as you’ve got a petrol (or diesel?) engine for when you run out of electric.
    Obviously I used ‘need’ in the wrong context.
    I shall try to be better in future.

Obviously I used ‘need’ in the wrong context.
    I shall try to be better in future.

Blog Entries
    So thinking of getting a chargepoint installed, so I can use either that or the granny charger depending which end of the house I park and how quick I want it to charge.

Looking for something unobtrusive, preferably not a big white plastic thing.

Anyone got any experience of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUBEV-CHARG...769156394&th=1

So thinking of getting a chargepoint installed, so I can use either that or the granny charger depending which end of the house I park and how quick I want it to charge.

Looking for something unobtrusive, preferably not a big white plastic thing.

Anyone got any experience of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUBEV-CHARG...769156394&th=1
    Sorry, can't help re that one, I would suggest you get a tethered charger however as otherwise you will have to keep taking the cable out of the car, when it is wet putting it back in the car etc. I have a black wallbox which does the job and is pretty small. It has an app and is set to lock by default (as it is at work) but doesn't have to. Depending where you live you may want to be able to lock it easily although I can't imagine anyone parking and pinching electricity off your driveway ?

https://wallbox.com/en_uk/wallbox-pulsar

Blog Entries
    Sorry, can't help re that one, I would suggest you get a tethered charger however as otherwise you will have to keep taking the cable out of the car, when it is wet putting it back in the car etc. I have a black wallbox which does the job and is pretty small. It has an app and is set to lock by default (as it is at work) but doesn't have to. Depending where you live you may want to be able to lock it easily although I can't imagine anyone parking and pinching electricity off your driveway ?

https://wallbox.com/en_uk/wallbox-pulsar
    Thanks again for the advice. I don't mind the size of the charger on that but the cable looks pretty untidy if left out. I suppose I could box it in but I'm trying to get something unobtrusive. I'm thinking either get the cable out of the boot or have a separate box/hooks hidden around the corner to store it in!

I agree that untethered is tidier. Bear in mind you will no doubt get lights etc. on it too so maybe have to hide it, in which case could go tethered ?

The neatest looking was Andersen but they are expensive and there has been lots of reports of their app etc. being flakey.

https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2/

Probably overkill if you don't have/plan on getting a BEV

Blog Entries
    That one looks neat but is pretty big. I think the one I was looking at has a led charge/live light but it's on a driveway away from the road so shouldn't be a problem. If it bugs me I'll stick something over it! The only drawback is it needs an earth rod so will have to check that out with our electrician. Maybe have to pay a bit more for one that earths internally.

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Zappi. Works really well and no earth rod needed.

Mine works in partnership with my roof solar panels so will charge using surplus power. I haven’t used any petrol for weeks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Have a look at the Zappi. Works really well and no earth rod needed.

Mine works in partnership with my roof solar panels so will charge using surplus power. I haven’t used any petrol for weeks.
    Looks really clever but just too big for me I'm afraid.

MHEV PHEV -PHEW what do I need to know?

I have an old Polar tethered unit. It’s quite large but possibly still the tidiest tethered unit.

The grey box above is not sort of it.

Last edited by Dave+63; 28th April 2022 at 07:58.

Blog Entries
    I have an old Polar tethered unit. It’s quite large but possibly still the tidiest tethered unit.

The grey box above is not sort of it.

Looks tidy but still a bit big, thanks.