closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths service

Smiths service

Anybody have a good service guy for a Smiths PRS25? It's one of the first batch and been in constant use.
    My local guy claims he can't do it as parts aren't available. I've asked Eddie, but he says to ask here.

Roger

Master
    Try ALSAL Watches, the Strand, London.

Master
    walkerwek1958 on this forum.

Don't know about a service guy but it's a Miyota Cal.9015, parts are available and you can buy an entire movement for less than a ton.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Don't know about a service guy but it's a Miyota Cal.9015, parts are available and you can buy an entire movement for less than a ton.
    They have 9039 since 2019 I think but you are right on the price: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mi...nts?code=9039M

Grand Master
    I`ve worked on a few of these, very straightforward.

PM me if you're interested, I take a limited amount of work on thesedays.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    They have 9039 since 2019 I think but you are right on the price: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mi...nts?code=9039M
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It's one of the first batch
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    You're a closer reader that I am :)

Craftsman
    I think many of the parts are the same on the 9015 and 9039, at least I hope so as I just bought a 9015 balance complete to repair a friends 9039 Expedition with a damaged balance staff. Watch repairer will let me know later this week.

Grand Master
    9015 and 9039 are almost identical, the 9039 doesn’t have the date- related parts on the dial side and obviously the setting lever spring is different to allow only one setting position. The rotor is marked differently too but that’s only printed and has been known to come off during cleaning. The height if the hr wheel and cannon pinion is identical so the movements are interchangeable.

These movements are excellent for the price, but they’re a bit awkward to work on owing to the design, and I don’t like the unidirectional auto- winding. Like any cheap mass- produced movement they can usually be made to run even better by stripping, checking the hairspring is absolutely true and correcting, then building and lubricating carefully.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reassurance Walkerwek.

It's interesting that the OP says that his watch repairer said that no parts were available as that is what my friends watch repairer said too, for the Expedition, which is why I got involved and tracked a balance complete down on t'internet. Cousins seem to sell complete movements but not many parts, perhaps the £75 + vat price for the mvt is why they don't carry parts.

Thanks for your help. Have pm'd.
    Roger