closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a boat...

Buying a boat...

"The two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it"... (thought I'd get that in before anyone says it)

A couple of friends and I are looking at purchasing a boat to be used on the Thames. Another friend has one which we all used frequently over the last 5 years but he has since moved house meaning we won't be able to use his as easily moving forwards.

Having had an initial look the prices are all over the shop, and in general seems to have increased a lot recently. With a 15k budget I found these 2 for example:

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...rider-8122355/

https://www.ashmarine.co.uk/shop/onl...0-br-bowrider/

Obviously the second one is a bit smaller, outboard engine but brand new (vs 2007) and with warranty which seems like the logical choice, but the first one seems more substantial and comfortable for a long day with at full capacity.

Do we have any experts on the forum who can suggest what we should be looking out for?

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    How many are likely to be on the boat at any one time? The new boat is a 5 seater but if you want it to plane without a struggle, you'll need the 60hp engine. Also, where are you storing it? Didn't seem to mention a trailer on the new boat so you'll be paying a lift out and storage fee or budget around £2k for a trailer.

inboards can get expensive if they go worng too, so make sure it's well checked over and ideally with low hours etc.

The two best day... ah.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    How many are likely to be on the boat at any one time? The new boat is a 5 seater but if you want it to plane without a struggle, you'll need the 60hp engine. Also, where are you storing it? Didn't seem to mention a trailer on the new boat so you'll be paying a lift out and storage fee or budget around £2k for a trailer.

inboards can get expensive if they go worng too, so make sure it's well checked over and ideally with low hours etc.
    Potentially 5 (or 6 people) some days. The majority of the stretch of Thames we are in the speed limit is quite low in general although there are bits where it would be nice to be able to plane it. Any idea what to roughly put aside for servicing costs for an inboard?

Can I be the first to mention the Three Fs Rule?

Master
    I had a boat in my lat 20's, i was glad to buy it, and glad to wave it off on somebody elses towbar but, i have a great time, got some amazing memories in the photo album, Just do it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Potentially 5 (or 6 people) some days. The majority of the stretch of Thames we are in the speed limit is quite low in general although there are bits where it would be nice to be able to plane it. Any idea what to roughly put aside for servicing costs for an inboard?
    Not sure on the servicing costs but probably not much more than the outboards (been years from I had a boat with an inboard), but if something goes wrong with the inboard\outdrive, it gets expensive and usually results in the boat out of the water for an extended period of time. Sods law will dictate this is the height of the summer and in fantastic weather. It's important to get a well looked after outfit with good service history.

with 5-6 in a 15ft(ish) boat and at low speed handling may be interesting as planing hulls tend not to like low speeds, especially with a load. As I remember from a certain film, something along the lines of " I think you're going to need a bigger boat".

Inboard engine with sterndrive…engine service is neither here nor there. Sterndrive service is extra…I guess it depends on location. I am currently expecting at least a £700 to £800 bill for a single Volvo Duoprop. The engine service will be on top of that.

As to boat. Very location dependant. Small planing boat on a river at 4 to 5 mph will wander all over the place, but just needs a lot concentration and constant steering input..which is fine, or not so fine if you are after a lazy afternoon on the water. Shaft drive with a deeper hull will behave much better….

Bow rider boats also just need a think on where and how used. I keep coming back to them a as change to my current boat, they offer zero protection from a belting hot day or getting caught in a rainstorm..but have great party space.

So great day boats….

Hence my indecision.

As to ownership of a boat..especially ones with engines, toilets, fridges and cookers..

Eyes wide open. Get it surveyed and fully expect to understand that boat means ‘bung on another thousand’.

Good news is they don’t depreciate much…so what you gain in that, you lose in maintenance.

Craftsman
    I bought a speed boat with two friends in a drunken state last year.
    It hasn't seen the water yet but hopefully this year.
    All i can say Is I'm glad cost are shared three ways!!

Out of the two choices, my 'gut' feeling would be the Bayliner 175.

Boat purchases are so often more heart than head, the 3L Mercruiser on the 175 would be good combo and I prefer the space and layout it would provide.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Is there a professional / independent surveyor for a pre-buy check? Would be handy with this sort of fast boats. Quality of the hull? Repairs? Engine? Etc. Try to get an annual service contract into the deal. That's what's happening here in this country (Ned). You can negotiate what's included or not.

Menno

Bust Out Another Thousand

Sorry, couldn't resist, at least your on fresh water rather than salt..

Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Inboard engine with sterndrive…engine service is neither here nor there. Sterndrive service is extra…I guess it depends on location. I am currently expecting at least a £700 to £800 bill for a single Volvo Duoprop. The engine service will be on top of that.

As to boat. Very location dependant. Small planing boat on a river at 4 to 5 mph will wander all over the place, but just needs a lot concentration and constant steering input..which is fine, or not so fine if you are after a lazy afternoon on the water. Shaft drive with a deeper hull will behave much better….

Bow rider boats also just need a think on where and how used. I keep coming back to them a as change to my current boat, they offer zero protection from a belting hot day or getting caught in a rainstorm..but have great party space.

So great day boats….

Hence my indecision.

As to ownership of a boat..especially ones with engines, toilets, fridges and cookers..

Eyes wide open. Get it surveyed and fully expect to understand that boat means ‘bung on another thousand’.

Good news is they don’t depreciate much…so what you gain in that, you lose in maintenance.
    Thanks that’s useful. I actually think I know a guy who might be able to survey a potential purchase that’s good advice.

As someone seriously considering chucking a lump of money at a yacht, just how reliable are marine surveyors?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Out of the two choices, my 'gut' feeling would be the Bayliner 175.

Boat purchases are so often more heart than head, the 3L Mercruiser on the 175 would be good combo and I prefer the space and layout it would provide.

R
    My gut feel is the same, still looking for others this seems like a nice option also:

http://totalboatsales.com/listings/m...er-for-sale-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I bought a speed boat with two friends in a drunken state last year.
    It hasn't seen the water yet but hopefully this year.
    All i can say Is I'm glad cost are shared three ways!!
    There nothing better than a boat day in the sun! Enjoy :)

Why buy a fast boat if you cannot go fast? Think a Ferrari in town: it can be done but it’s not the best way to enjoy it.
    However you have the benefit of having experienced and enjoyed a previous boat. I would suggest you hire a completely different one to the one you know for a weekend with your mates and take it from there.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless you intend to ski and have access to a suitable spot with no speed limit, just Get a displacement hull instead, or a cathedral hull. Both will handle nicely and a cathedral hull can still plane. Steering a twitchy v-hull at low speeds is an awful way to spend time.

I always had boats from 17-37, but I have got tired of them if late, possibly because of boaty friends loosing interest, however I always used to buy wrecks and do them up, that was part of the fun for me.
    Nowadays I am happy with a canoe for the UK and borrow a friend's boat if I am in Asia.

Master
    Charter if you are only going to use it for a week or so every few months . In fact … just charter .

This may be of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    This may be of interest?

Nice boat and nice life but when he said 4.3 V6!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Nice boat and nice life but when he said 4.3 V6!
    It's all relative though.

IME a larger engine isn't necessarily more expensive overall than a smaller one as it's dependent on quite a number of factors.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's all relative though.

IME a larger engine isn't necessarily more expensive overall than a smaller one as it's dependent on quite a number of factors.

R
    In all fairness after watching the full video the owner says it uses little fuel which is surprising, overall costs were no where near as bad as I thought and looked great on a sunny day - now what watch can I sell??

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As someone seriously considering chucking a lump of money at a yacht, just how reliable are marine surveyors?

I think you need to choose carefully, and not base it on cost. There are a lot of absolute chancers who got into "Small Boat Surveys/certification" a decade ago - who had little marine/composites knowledge. I don't know how many survived as a full time occupation, as the rates got driven down by oversupply.

Boats are great, I love being on a river or the sea but if only for occasional use I would look into hiring TBH.
    Cheers,
    Neil.