closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finasteride anyone?

Finasteride anyone?

Noticed over the past year or so the hairline is in retreat. I reckon about a centimetre or so in a fairly uniform manner across the forehead. Along with this a notable thinning out.

Not bad enough to shave the lot off, but I can see the direction of travel.

Just wondered if anyone in a similar situation has had a go with 1mg Finasteride in an attempt to halt the forehead encroachment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Master
    They gave me that for my prostate, it killed my libido but did nothing for my hairline.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    They gave me that for my prostate, it killed my libido but did nothing for my hairline.
    Think that the libido loss is a common side effect, sadly.

I think the hair retention/regrowth benefit is possibly over played. I don’t know if there’s any published data about the % of men for who (whom?) it works.

I have noticed more men trying to hang on to a receding hair line, I think you can get away with it to a certain point but once you realise you have to make a real effort to move around what you have to cover thin/bald areas then it’s time for the clippers.

Master
    Shave it off now, you'll never look back. And the ladies love it.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Shave it off now, you'll never look back. And the ladies love it.
    Fact. Women love a slaphead!

With the possible exception of a very expensive transplant, all other attempts to cling on to your hair are a hiding to nothing. Save your money and the anguish. Either accept the steady loss or bite the bullet and shave it off. I'd recommend the latter. Most seem to find it incredibly liberating.

I think the time will come to get the bic out and get it off.

I guess there is always the Dave Myers approach to consider..

Ha! anytime anyone asks this question online or in real life the response is always the same. 50% taking the piss and 50% saying that if you're losing your hair be a man about it and get yourself a buzz cut. Normally with the explanation that people trying to hold on to their hair look ridiculous and that women love a baldy. Jason Statham usually gets mentioned.

So on the basis that not everyone is Jason Statham and some people fear that they might look more like Victor Meldrew I'll give an alternate take.

Finasteride does work but only up to a point and at a price. You won't regain the hair you've lost but it will slow down the rate of any future loss. It does come with significant side effects though. Loss of libido as mentioned but also things that sound hormonally related - like depression and loss of energy. You should try it on the basis that you'll cease it if you get those side effects. BTW apparently the effect of a daily pill lasts for almost 48 hours at about 90% efficiency so you can try taking it every other day. Cheaper and it might lessen side effects. I know people who work for Merck, who first marketed it for hair loss, however who acknowledge there is a dark side to Finasteride.

Minoxidol as a topical treatment can also be used and in conjunction with Propecia. It definitely works on some areas of the scalp but evidence of its overall effectiveness is more mixed but it carries few side effects apart from possible skin irritation.

The reality with both is that they are not cheap - £30 per month each - and you will never know if they work as they will only stop further loss so you are just guessing what you might have lost but haven't to gauge their effectiveness.

If you get to the stage of wanting to spend £6k+ on a hair transplant the technology there seems to be rapidly advancing these days. Rob Brydon lives near me and he's had an amazing job done on his. And good luck to him - I don't think he would have looked like Jason Statham.

Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post

If you get to the stage of wanting to spend £6k+ on a hair transplant the technology there seems to be rapidly advancing these days. Rob Brydon lives near me and he's had an amazing job done on his. And good luck to him - I don't think he would have looked like Jason Statham.
    What's £6K? The price of a mediocre watch on this forum.

If anyone is depressed about receding hair have a look at transplants.

A chap I know has had it done after years of strange comb over type styles and it looks great.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Crikey, only one of my watches is above "mediocre"
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    Fact. Women love a slaphead!

+1 FACT!

If it weren’t for my baldness I would have had to rely on my personality…
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th January 2022 at 14:37.

I had a transplant back in 2018 and can honestly say it was the best £1700 I’ve ever spent.
    I had mine done in Istanbul after extensive research which paid off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    likewise, consultant never mentioned that potential side effect and after 2 weeks it became apparent my little friend was far from happy!

as a recently separated 48 year old back in the dating world the pills went in the bin and I have managed by knowing where every toilet on every route is!

I do have a full head of hair so cannot comment on the benefits with regard to the issue.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    likewise, consultant never mentioned that potential side effect and after 2 weeks it became apparent my little friend was far from happy!

as a recently separated 48 year old back in the dating world the pills went in the bin and I have managed by knowing where every toilet on every route is!

I do have a full head of hair so cannot comment on the benefits with regard to the issue.
    Thankfully these tablets haven't affected me in the same way.