closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Knitted Silk Tie

Master

Knitted Silk Tie

I'm attending a family wedding in a few week and I fancy a new tie. I have two knitted silk ties already, but one is black (too severe for the day) and one a little too wide and bright for my current liking. Any suggestions?

Master
    I’d go for a thinner one.

That is not black.

Not as wide.

Also not as bright.

Sorry, know that is not what you were after but just come from a 2hr teams call that could have been an email.

Good luck with the sartorial search though.

If you only have 2 ties there is little point in buying one. What else are you wearing? and are you just renting it for the day, or is it your normal stuff? and if the latter, why wear a tie as you obviously never wear one?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I wear ties for work (occasionally) and for the odd formal event. I currently have a drawer full of ties, including two knitted ones. I'll be wearing a suit (my own) on the day. Just looking for suggestion on who makes a good one. I will be wearing it again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I wear ties for work (occasionally) and for the odd formal event. I currently have a drawer full of ties, including two knitted ones. I'll be wearing a suit (my own) on the day. Just looking for suggestion on who makes a good one. I will be wearing it again.
    A good one? Try Turnbull & Asser - they made Sean Connerys for the Bond films :)

Apprentice
    Don't do ties !!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Understood. Sorry for making the wrong assumptions. The black one is the most useful you have as it is the only one suitable for funerals, unless it goes against the wishes of the family. But it is probably best avoided for a wedding. Depending on how formal you want (need) to be, burgundy or blue are good, and all the way to a wedding specific model with comics or other drawing.
    For the anecdote, in my last but one school year in NY, we earned the right to divert a bit from a very strict uniform (white shirts with navy blue tie, navy blue blazer and grey trousers, black or navy blue socks and black shoes) to pastel coloured shirts, and no restrictions on socks and tie.
    My tie was bright yellow, with a modern interpretation of all Kama Sutra positions. It didn't exactly go down well
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My tie was bright yellow, with a modern interpretation of all Kama Sutra positions. It didn't exactly go down well
    That might be ideal for a wedding, go forth and multiply an all that.

I think I've found a blue one I like at Cordings. Turnbull & Asser is a good shout, but they seem to only have knitted cashmere at they moment and cost more than I want to spend presently.

Turnbull & Asser
    Charvet
    Hermes

I have a couple of Hackett ties I'm inordinately fond off (I think both wool rather than silk) but I'm not sure I'd touch any of their stuff now that they're a rubbish fashion brand - I think mine were bought about 25 years ago.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Michelsons should have something that suits, wide, narrow, plain, striped, spotted etc etc

https://www.michelsons.com/ties/knit...st_order=price
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you not been into 14 the Row Alan, I’m sure you have. A somewhat different experience to the usual high street Hackett stuff.

I popped in last year to check out his new tweed (I’m not overly keen) and was treated to a full tour of the premises with a few drinks thrown in for good measure.

He has come a long way from selling secondhand clothes down the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Turnbull & Asser
    Charvet
    Hermes

I have a couple of Hackett ties I'm inordinately fond off (I think both wool rather than silk) but I'm not sure I'd touch any of their stuff now that they're a rubbish fashion brand - I think mine were bought about 25 years ago.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Drakes, they pretty much cover most of the tie bases.
    i like Missoni too but they are not ‘traditional’.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Have you not been into 14 the Row Alan, I’m sure you have. A somewhat different experience to the usual high street Hackett stuff.

I popped in last year to check out his new tweed (I’m not overly keen) and was treated to a full tour of the premises with a few drinks thrown in for good measure.

He has come a long way from selling secondhand clothes down the market.

I've not, no. I used to frequent his first shop at the far end of the King's Road but after they sold out (I think the second time, to the Spanish?) I gave up - they doubled their prices and halved the quality. I think I have bought a couple of Hackett items since, but in TKMaxx which is probably a perfect metaphor of where I see them in the market.

I'd add Sulka to the list above but since they closed their doors in 2001 that might be tricky (on the plus side they are not sufficiently well-known to attract the fakers - unlike the others). I have a cashmere knitted tie of theirs which is lovely.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I had a look for a Sulka but very tricky to find. Ended up ordering one from Cordings. I was going to pick it up from Piccadilly next week as I have an actual in person event nearby on the Strand. Unfortunately due to a website error they actually had no stock. Instead I've ordered one from Kilgour, who I believe maybe going out of business, but they have indicated that the tie has been posted. Here's hoping it arrives and it wearable.

I'm a fan of Shibumi and Drake's ties. I particularly like the Shantung silk and Grenadine ties both companies make.

https://shibumi-firenze.com/ties/

https://www.drakes.com/accessories/ties

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    I like the look of the Shibumi grenadine, especially the dotted and the burgundy stripe. Maybe next time.