closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch brand you just "don't get"?

Watch brand you just "don't get"?

I have a complete blind spot for IWCs. Totally illogical but they just leave me clap cold, and for no sensible reason either as I know they're lovely things.
    Anyone else have brands they just cannot connect with?

PANERAI

Not seeing it............ sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    PANERAI

Not seeing it............ sorry.
    Never have.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I said it a few years ago on this forum and got slated for it... but I'll say it again
    Patek philipe
    Looks naff sounds naff and the advertising makes me want to puke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I said it a few years ago on this forum and got slated for it... but I'll say it again
    Patek philipe
    Looks naff sounds naff and the advertising makes me want to puke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Paddy Phillips? What’s not to like?

Master
    all Marathon watches ...

Panerai
    Richard Mille
    Hublot
    Ana-digi watches

I think the bar for this is watches that you don't regard as awful - i.e. not what you hate but what you cannot love, but for no obvious reason. For instance, I think Hublot make hideous things which are bought, in the main, by hideous people, mostly Uzbek gangsters. They're foul. But they don't count in this for me because I think they're foul. IWC on the other hand make lovely watches with a great heritage and in designs which are by any reckoning very handsome - and yet I have no desire to own one, at all.

I know why I don't like Rolex, but I am baffled by Panerai.

Just can't see the appeal.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    I know why I don't like Rolex, but I am baffled by Panerai.

Just can't see the appeal.
    They are a loose copy of the MKI Oyster and so the two are not unrelated.

Ball. Never seen one I'd wear. And their model names are just weird; Fireman and infamous Ball Skin Diver.

H Moser and Cie. Every one I've ever seen looks like it cost £89 from Argos.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 18th January 2022 at 20:58.

Mine is completely illogical but I can't help it. I just can't take to any make where the brand name consists of a person's name (both christian and surname). Patek Philipe, Christopher Ward, Richard Mille etc etc.
    When I see them, I just think "shopping channel". As I said, completely illogical, but it is what it is.

Don't want to get all me-too, but IWC leaves me stone-cold. They make a style of watch I very much like, and for the last few years I assumed the rapidly increasing prices must be justified by quality of execution, but I had the chance to get up-close and handle a couple of new examples a few months ago, and nope... I get it even less now: very ordinary - swap the branding with a similar Hamilton aviator and I couldn't tell which is which without a good look at the movement.

The thought of paying Richemont's servicing charges is pretty offputting, too.

Heritage is dandy, but Laco has it too, for example, and still charges very fair prices for its watches...

-------

Also don't get Ulysse Nardin. Feels like they wish they were Breguet, and they certainly make some similarly cartoonish wristwarts at comparably ambitious prices, but Breguet also make some great looking-watches, and some with real heritage. There's not many brands out there where I cannot find a single redeeming feature in any of its offer, but UN accomplishes that feat.

Is it just me, or does a faint stench of death hang over Kering Group in general?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I have a complete blind spot for IWCs. Totally illogical but they just leave me clap cold, and for no sensible reason either as I know they're lovely things.
    Anyone else have brands they just cannot connect with?
    That’s a shame. When I think about IWC my thoughts turn to models like the Aquatimer 812 AD and the Pilot series Mark XI through to the later XII and XV models. These are the best of IWC, albeit long since discontinued.

Jacob & Co. What are they all about? If I had that kind of money, and I don’t I’d like to think I’d have more taste than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Mine is completely illogical but I can't help it. I just can't take to any make where the brand name consists of a person's name (both christian and surname). Patek Philipe, Christopher Ward, Richard Mille etc etc.
    When I see them, I just think "shopping channel". As I said, completely illogical, but it is what it is.

You don’t fancy a Harold Pinchbeck then?

I’m going to say Breitling. Always too fussy. Always a flashy detail I don’t like, or a dial so busy it makes my eyes hurt. And as for all the pilot marketing - well, that’s like making a watch and saying ‘as worn by bus drivers’. Why do I care about pictures of aeroplanes? It’s a watch. Of all the Swiss brands of that ilk, it’s the only one I’ve never owned, in fact I don’t think I’ve even tried one on!

Master
    Breitling and Panerai for me.

Master
    Graham…..naff name naff watches..

Last edited by Enoch; 18th January 2022 at 21:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Jacob & Co. What are they all about? If I had that kind of money, and I don’t I’d like to think I’d have more taste than that.

Another vote for Jacob and co here! Ugly bling watches in my opinion of course !

Bremont. I cannot the see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    Breitling and Panerai for me.
    With you (all) on modern Breitling but I think they have some beautiful things in their back catalogue. I have a Datora chronograph which is just lovely.

Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 18th January 2022 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ball. Never seen one I'd wear. And their model names are just weird; Fireman and infamous Ball Skin Diver.

H Moser and Cie. Every one I've ever seen looks like it cost £89 from Argos.
    Not sure if you have seen this one:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/h-moser...rade-hands-on/

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    You don’t fancy a Harold Pinchbeck then?
    Just had to Google the name and its a resounding no. Maybe my illogical stance is not so illogical ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tend not to think about brands in terms of what I would or wouldlt buy, but thinking about it for a moment I can’t see me buying anything from these even if I liked the watch itself.

TAG
    Franck Muller
    Graham
    Girard Perragaux
    TW Steel
    U Boat
    BRM
    Parmigiani

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Just had to Google the name and its a resounding no. Maybe my illogical stance is not so illogical ;)
    And don’t forget Robert Loomes. Pure gash!

Thanks, I hadn't seen it. It's lovely but why make a £30k watch look like an Apple Watch costing £300? Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Not sure if you have seen this one:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/h-moser...rade-hands-on/

Craftsman
    Bell & Ross, never quite got what their 'style' is and hate the logo.

I will confirm my place as a tasteless, crass and low brow watch lover but…
    I have no wish to own any of the holy trinity of watch makers
    PP, AP, VC - they make nothing I would like to own and I just don’t get the Nautilus or Aquanaut. (Or the cult that is Rolex)
    Maybe I need another hobby.

Nah, stick to the likes of Sinn that are much more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    PP, AP, VC - they make nothing I would like to own and I just don’t get the Nautilus or Aquanaut. (Or the cult that is Rolex)

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    And don’t forget Robert Loomes. Pure gash!
    The Robin and The Robina. What has been seen, cannot be unseen....aaargh!

I have a complete blind spot for IWCs. Totally illogical but they just leave me clap cold
    Every watch that they have ever made??

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Graham…..naff name naff watches..

That is funny - Naff Watch Top Trumps winner !

Christopher Ward
    Last edited by senraw; 18th January 2022 at 23:42.

Bremont

Hublot - crass AP wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This! There is no denying the quality, but I just do not get the appeal.
    Last edited by TheGent; 19th January 2022 at 02:09.

Master
    Richard Mille every time. Insanely expensive, looks like it’s from Toys-R-Us and I couldn’t work out how you tell the time looking at one.

Zenith. I just find them a bit uninspiring apart from the new Chronomaster although I'm racking my brains to work out where they may have gotten the design inspiration from.....

I think the bar for this is watches that you don't regard as awful - i.e. not what you hate but what you cannot love, but for no obvious reason. For instance, I think Hublot make hideous things which are bought, in the main, by hideous people, mostly Uzbek gangsters. They're foul. But they don't count in this for me because I think they're foul. IWC on the other hand make lovely watches with a great heritage and in designs which are by any reckoning very handsome - and yet I have no desire to own one, at all.
    I totally agree with your sentiment and for me the brand and particularly the watch, is the PP Nautlus. I don't find anything particularly wrong with it and I'd go so far as to say that I don't mind it but I have no desire to own one, ever, even if it was affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli
    Thanks, I hadn't seen it. It's lovely but why make a £30k watch look like an Apple Watch costing £300? Bizarre.
    I think that's actually the point. Definitely a watch that if the premise appeals to you, you would wear it but if you don't really get it then it seems pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury
    Also don't get Ulysse Nardin. Feels like they wish they were Breguet, and they certainly make some similarly cartoonish wristwarts at comparably ambitious prices, but Breguet also make some great looking-watches, and some with real heritage. There's not many brands out there where I cannot find a single redeeming feature in any of its offer, but UN accomplishes that feat.
    I've tried a UN Freak and it's a really appealing watch, very easy to wear and totally different. If I had the budget I would definitely go there.

Apprentice

Oris. They make great watches, and I want to like them. But something about the way they are designed just leaves me cold.

Tudor. Same. Great watches. Would love to own one and have purchased a few, only to return them because they don’t quite work for me.

Otoh, I really love IWC, which a lot of folks here don’’t seem to like. Just goes to show that aesthetic judgments are really subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Every watch that they have ever made??
    Yes. I recognise many are very good, I just don’t want one at all. It must be a brand thing I suppose.

Master
    Rolex. Totally overpriced.

Rolex for me too. They almost all look ugly to my eyes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Same old outdated designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I can't say Rolex because I do "get" them, although I don't want one. Sold my last years ago. Agree massively over-priced but the reason for that is the reason I don't want one - they are sold in the main to people who want to be seen wearing a Rolex (honourable exceptions to many on here). They're status symbols recognised by the average non-watch-fan as very expensive watches, and that's why so many people buy them (again, not all, before anyone gets furious) over comparable brands. It's the one watch brand I was always uncomfortable wearing because I always felt like I looked like I was showing off. Easy to say "Your problem" but that's how it was. My last was a GMT which I determined to sell after a bloke in the buffet car of the Paddington to Didcot express - a bloke with a nasty suit and those very long pointy shoes which curl up at the end because he doesn't know what a shoe tree is - felt empowered to tap me on the shoulder and ask" 'Ere, is that real then or what?". I knew it had to go. Never had another.

I can't say Rolex because I do "get" them, although I don't want one. Sold my last years ago. Agree massively over-priced but the reason for that is the reason I don't want one - they are sold in the main to people who want to be seen wearing a Rolex (honourable exceptions to many on here). They're status symbols recognised by the average non-watch-fan as very expensive watches, and that's why so many people buy them (again, not all, before anyone gets furious) over comparable brands. It's the one watch brand I was always uncomfortable wearing because I always felt like I looked like I was showing off. Easy to say "Your problem" but that's how it was. My last was a GMT which I determined to sell after a bloke in the buffet car of the Paddington to Didcot express - a bloke with a nasty suit and those very long pointy shoes which curl up at the end because he doesn't know what a shoe tree is - felt empowered to tap me on the shoulder and ask" 'Ere, is that real then or what?". I knew it had to go. Never had another.
    I always wanted a 14060 as my only watch. And back when I first saw them they were about £2000 in shop windows. I often think I should have bought one then and just worn it for everything, but when I see what they are valued at now, I don’t think I would be comfortable owning one. Seems a shame.

Journeyman
    All Seiko - do nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I always wanted a 14060 as my only watch. And back when I first saw them they were about £2000 in shop windows. I often think I should have bought one then and just worn it for everything, but when I see what they are valued at now, I don’t think I would be comfortable owning one. Seems a shame.

Before I was born my dad bought a Sub brand new. 1966 I think. He loved it. But he sold it about 2005 because he got sick to death of the endless attention it generated when he wore it (which of course is why so many people buy them). Wears a CWC G10 quartz now.

Craftsman
    Maybe not so much make but if they have diamonds in the watch , and coloured ones ............ OMG.

Hublot do seem to have a real love / hate relationship going as well. Mainly the latter .

https://youtu.be/jPn_SYRP3rE