closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What car should I buy - performance four door

Master

What car should I buy - performance four door

You all know the drill - I'm after a new car and whilst I have built a short list I want to make sure that a) I'm not overlooking something that would be ideal and b) I hear from anyone that's owned any of the cars I'm considering.

My wife and I have just had our first child. She drives a 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S whilst I drive a 2007 Mk3 MX-5. It means that now, if we are to go out together, we'll always be in her car. It's OK, I don't mind it - I like the interior, the specification is more than I need and the build quality is good, but I don't want to have to drive it all the time really. I dislike the body roll, the brakes are under powered and frankly I think despite it's relatively modest figures it actually has too much power for the front axle alone.

Additionally, I have had my MX-5 for a decade/100k miles now and have always wanted to swap it for something a bit daft but continually find excuses not to do it. I see this as an opportunity to spend a few years in something powerful and exciting before I inevitably end up with something EV/hydrogen/whatever becomes defacto in the next ten years.

So the remit is 4-door performance/halo model, Isofix in rear, budget £30-35k. £40k if the car was the most perfect gem only. I might keep the MX-5 as it costs peanuts to run and I have access to my fathers Morgan Plus 4 so this does not need to be a lightweight drivers car, that job is covered. Of late I have been doing about 5-8k miles a year in my main car.

Currently considering, broadly in order of preference:

M6 Gran Coupe
    Panamera S/4S/GTS (970)
    M3 (F80)
    CLA 45 AMG Shooting Brake (the CLS is a more obvious competitor against the rest of this list but I'm more fond of the CLA)
    M5 (F10)

Any thoughts? My concern with the M6 is I hear about engine write offs a little more than I would like. I can just about get in to a warrantied car with my budget however.

I'm not ashamed to say that a halo model / something "exclusive" is attractive to me as this purchase will be a bit of a treat. On paper yes a 650i is a better choice than an M6, but it's not an M6. And I cannot stress this enough - I already have an MX-5!

Not qualified to give too much advice, but a mate of mine has a M6 and it’s epic.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    I would be looking at an RS6, not sure what you would get in budget but that’s also an epic car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have studied the offerings from Ingolstadt but they don't quite float my boat in the same way. For my money I'm really looking at a B8 RS4 Avant but I'm not super fond of it. Other than that I can get in to the older C6 RS6 with the V10 but I'm really scraping the barrel of more recent C7 RS6s. The one that fits best in the short list is an RS7 but the styling ruins it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I have studied the offerings from Ingolstadt but they don't quite float my boat in the same way. For my money I'm really looking at a B8 RS4 Avant but I'm not super fond of it. Other than that I can get in to the older C6 RS6 with the V10 but I'm really scraping the barrel of more recent C7 RS6s. The one that fits best in the short list is an RS7 but the styling ruins it for me.

To throw in a curveball, if you would consider new for the added benefit of a warranty. How about a Seat/Cupra Lean ST 310? 310bhp and 4x4 in a stylish estate c.£38k, then get the official ABT tuning to take it to 370bhp and 0-60 in low 4s. Practical and great YouTube reviews from Joe Achilles. I think this might be my next car as it pretty much ticks every box for me; although I can live without the brand kudos, but can see that’s not for everyone. I like the Q car appeal also.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I would be looking at an RS6, not sure what you would get in budget but that’s also an epic car

This. For £40k you shoudl be able get a nice 2014 one. My wife has one as the family car and it does everything excellently. We got a bmw gran coupe when our first was born and it was adequate but an estate will make your life so much easier.

Master
    How about a Maserati quartoporte?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    This. For £40k you shoudl be able get a nice 2014 one. My wife has one as the family car and it does everything excellently. We got a bmw gran coupe when our first was born and it was adequate but an estate will make your life so much easier.
    Perhaps I'll go back down this rabbit hole online for a bit. Anything to look out for in your experience? Spec/maintenance/otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    How about a Maserati quartoporte?
    Also been down this hole along with the Ghibli but I think I'm after something that comes across a bit more purposeful.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    To throw in a curveball, if you would consider new for the added benefit of a warranty. How about a Seat/Cupra Lean ST 310? 310bhp and 4x4 in a stylish estate c.£38k, then get the official ABT tuning to take it to 370bhp and 0-60 in low 4s. Practical and great YouTube reviews from Joe Achilles. I think this might be my next car as it pretty much ticks every box for me; although I can live without the brand kudos, but can see that’s not for everyone. I like the Q car appeal also.
    This isn't the worst idea to be honest. The Cupra wouldn't be the one for me but in general there are plenty of turbo four cylinders with extremely serious performance in the 30-40k bracket. Another one to go back around on.

Grand Master
    If you’re carting a child around you really need a 4 door car with good rear seat access and plenty of space for a child seat. That should be your starting point. Don’t forget the pushchair fitting in the boot.

Buy what you need, which is not necessarily what you’d like.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^ This ^^

Carting a child around in a Mini isn't going to happen once you have a large saloon, especially in the first 4 years or so. We filled up an Audi A4 Avant with luggage just going to my sister's for Xmas when the lad was two years old.

I'd go for an RS6 every day of the week. If I had to buy again with your budget it's what I'd get in preference to my A4 S-Line

C63 estate. End of thread

Master
    Been there and tried to convince myself that I could manage with a saloon or hatchback. Many can. We couldn't. Space was always an issue. It gets a bit easier when you no longer have pushchairs, but then as they get bigger they start hobbies with kit and paraphernalia. Any holiday would have been a challenge without an estate. Also weekends away.

My boys are now 14 and 16 and both over 6 foot. And we have a dog so we still benefit from an estate.

I would love an RS6 or an AMG but the reality is I have a Skoda Superb. And a Caterham for weekends.

So, in a word my contribution is "space"...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

E63 AMG estate? a lot of car for the money used.

Master
    Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio Verde all day long. Exclusivity guaranteed, style, not the natural go-to but oh so beautiful.

From your list: a friend of mine has the CLA 45 AMG Shooting Brake and he loves it. I drove it once and was impressed. It's very sharp and responsive and that engine is quite something. I struggle with the looks a bit as its worst angle is the front 3/4, which tends to usually be the beauty shot.

It would certainly be more fun on a twisty road than something as big and heavy as an RS6. I drove a C6 RS6 Plus quite a bit last year, and it was so potent and smooth, but also so heavy and big, that it was quite boring. I took it on some of my favourite twisty roads, and it was probably as fast as my 911, but just felt like I was a passenger. However, if a big, comfy rocketship is the requirement I'd probably have an RS6 over others.

Since you mention a B8 RS4, I used to have a B7 which has the same engine. Loved it, but I'd say it would probably be a bit underwhelming today as it's quite low on torque for what is quite a heavy car, so you really have to work it hard. The 8500rpm redline was spectacular though.

Never driven one, but if I was buying a saloon/estate today I would be most interested in an Alpina B3. There is one in my town in dark green and it just looks spectacular, and the reviews are glowing. Something about it just makes it so much cooler than BMW sister cars, or any of the other German competitors.

Personally I would go for something German, Diesel, and that has 6 cylinders perhaps a 330d or a 530d. Both great cars within budget put out plenty of power, build is good and reasonable priced to run. All the cars you’ve put in your list were expensive cars to purchase new, do don’t forget they will be expensive to run/service or is running cost not an issue? Also will you be swapping and changing baby seats in and out of cars (a jeffin pain) or buying one for each car as you may need to look at rear door openings and legroom etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not in the same bracket but you can get a golf r estate for that.

Just as quick but much more practical.

And whilst I understand your desire for something on your list, you'll be begging for practicality 3 months into your first child.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I think there are two options: performance or practicality.

I have neither as I have a Golf mark 5! Both car seats fit in and if we are going away for a weekend, everything fits in with a bit of planning and carefully loading the boot to maximise space.

In a normal car, whether fast or slow can be back breaking putting in or taking out the car seat etc. Then putting buggy in boot may involve taking something out to put buggy in, followed by shopping etc. Plus when it’s raining, it all adds to this great pleasure.

I purchased my Golf just a few years before I became a dad, with hindsight I should have purchased what the other parents drive eg a Touran, CRV etc. Anything with a high driving position, wide opening doors and a big boot. Performance was not a concern for me.

A fast estate may provide performance and practicality.

When you take test drives, take your family with pushchair and all the essentials to see how practical your choices are.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    E63 estate. End of thread
    FTFY

Only the older 5.5 litres E63’s would be in budget really.
    I’d look at the Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio!!
    Good luck!

Master
    If it was my money I would have the M5 F10 without hesitation. Having looked last year and tried a Panamera, an Alpha and a couple of others I chickened out and bought a Merc diesel because of potential repair costs of something that might have been ragged about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    I’d look at the Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio!!
    Just what I was about to suggest, beauty, purpose and totally irrational. Perfect.

435 d gran coupe x drive will do everything you’ve asked for .
    Really understated and a definite wolf in sheeps clothing .

Craftsman

What car should I buy - performance four door

C63 estate. End of thread
    I have friends with both

The RS6 avant- is in a different world, admittedly the c63 is the last of the naturally aspirated models but it’s dull inside and can’t hold a candle on the road to the RS6

Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 18th January 2022 at 21:34.

You're thinking about this all wrong. CRV for the wife, and something like a Cayman for yourself.

Have you ruled out a Macan? I bought one to replace my Golf R and love it - sort of R performance but with much more practical space.

Kia Stinger 3.3 GT S. 370 BHP and 7 years warranty.

Master
    Golf R estate, styling is subtle with a good 300bhp on tap. It’s a car that doesn’t scream mid life crisis. There’s loads of room and they don’t cost the earth to run. It’s a great all rounder and it’s 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I have friends with both

The RS6 avant- is in a different world, admittedly the c63 is the last of the naturally aspirated models but it’s dull inside and can’t hold a candle on the road to the RS6

I think you’re getting mixed up. I’m talking about the w205 biturbo c63. I own a 63s one and test drove most of the other options before choosing (there is a thread somewhere )

The c63 is a far better car to drive, the RS6 in budget is dull at anything less than insane speeds. At this price the rs6 interior is also very very dated and not a patch on the Merc.

I suspect you are comparing a 25 grand w204 to an 80+ grand RS6.

Master
    Thanks for input all. Alfa Quad' was on the long list but unfortunately I can only afford the leggiest of examples (coincidentally I passed by a Stelvio Quad' this afternoon - another fantastic looking car).

Golf R estate on paper is the magic bullet to many hypothetical automotive scenarios but doesn't float my boat unfortunately. The only estates I've really considered are the Audis.

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Personally I would go for something German, Diesel, and that has 6 cylinders perhaps a 330d or a 530d. Both great cars within budget put out plenty of power, build is good and reasonable priced to run. All the cars you’ve put in your list were expensive cars to purchase new, do don’t forget they will be expensive to run/service or is running cost not an issue? Also will you be swapping and changing baby seats in and out of cars (a jeffin pain) or buying one for each car as you may need to look at rear door openings and legroom etc
    All sensible points and well aware that these champagne cars can't run on lemonade money. Some of the heavier optioned M6 were £115k new, insanity. I wouldn't say running costs aren't an issue but I don't do a million miles so I'm not concerned about rubber/fuel/pads etc, and I am doing plenty of research on servicing and typical maintenance costs. Fortunately there's quite a lot of horror stories out there to keep the mind focused. Re. the car seat - we have a second base so can leave one in each car. It's one of the new fangled rotating ones which makes getting the lad in and out very simple.

Ultimately the lease on my wife's car is up in 6 months so it doesn't really matter what I buy - she's happy for me to keep running the Mazda if I really want, or get something else that's just two seats. If we find we need more space than the Mini then she can get something bigger when the time comes. But she will never go for the sort of car I will, and I would like to have a "me" car that can also operate as an "us" car some of the time.

Blog Entries
    For hauling a kid or kids: the car with the biggest luggage space.

M

Craftsman
    M340i, I know you said saloon but I would go for the estate.

I think you’re getting mixed up. I’m talking about the w205 biturbo c63. I own a 63s one and test drove most of the other options before choosing (there is a thread somewhere )

The c63 is a far better car to drive, the RS6 in budget is dull at anything less than insane speeds. At this price the rs6 interior is also very very dated and not a patch on the Merc.

I suspect you are comparing a 25 grand w204 to an 80+ grand RS6.
    I'm struggling with your comment but I should say I have owned 3 x RS6's and a C7 is my current daily driver. Actually an electric motorbike is my daily commuting tool in good weather which probably explains why the RS6 only has 19,000 miles on it! Most cars are dull at 30mph around town. I've also owned two TVRs, one Ferrari, a V12 Jaguar, and driven c63s, M5s, an M6 and Porsche 911s and Cayennes regularly and occasionally others. My preference, by far, is the RS6, yours clearly is the c63. I should say that my RS6 has been heavily modified and is now pushing 730bhp and 820 lb/ft of torque but the practicality of it in combination with, frankly, insane performance is what wins it for me. Gone are the days of me owning 2 or 3 cars; I just can't be bothered with it any longer and so have one great all-rounder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    370bhp and 0-60 in low 4s.
    The baby will love that! 😳

RS's and big M's are lovely but as you mentioned you might be pushing the limit with your budget, how about an S4 or S6 Avant, very very capable cars and they dont stand out as much as their big brother RS..

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would look at the S4 Avant (not the RS4) from about 2018 with the 3l petrol. Sensational performance without the RS running costs.

Down a size sector, the Golf R estate is an obvious choice. I have a 7.5 GTI and it’s superb.

Having an estate will make a huge difference when carrying a push chair (maybe a second...), a dog etc.

Master
    Skoda Superb Sportline estate 280 4x4.
    280 bhp out of the factory, easy to map up and a MASSIVE boot for all the baby’s paraphernalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    So the remit is 4-door performance/halo model, Isofix in rear, budget £30-35k. £40k if the car was the most perfect gem only. I might keep the MX-5 as it costs peanuts to run and I have access to my fathers Morgan Plus 4 so this does not need to be a lightweight drivers car, that job is covered. Of late I have been doing about 5-8k miles a year in my main car.
    Hello, OP, it looks like you're going through some of the choices that I was considering last year. I wanted a high-performance practical car for myself and my two pre-teens.

We (it was always going to be a choice made by all three of us) quickly rejected by first choice - the five-door RS5 - as being too dark and black, and too uncomfortable, in the back!

We test-drive a VW Golf R, mark 7.5, but the wagon version, and we all loved it. (This echoes yumma's suggestion of its sister car, the Seat.) Someone else loved it, too - it was sold out from under us whilst we were on our test drive!

I ended up buying a 30k miles, 2016 W205 C63 wagon, and I've very pleased with it. Authorised used, so two-year warranty, full service history (and a fresh service), four new tyres. It's great, and makes me feel very special.

But.

Around town, I get about 14mpg.

14! £100 of high-test was getting me about 200 miles. Amazing! (Not surprised, but still. Good job I didn't get the older W204 6.2 V8!)

And I do do quite a lot around town. So I also bought a three-year-old, 9000-mile Kia Picanto. I bought it over a month ago, and have yet to put any fuel in it!

OP, you're sorted with your Mazda, so go for it - get something fun, and save it for those 5-8k miles when you leave town behind!

Craftsman
    Wow! That’s some fuel consumption for the Merc. I was considering a c63 amg estate for a long time, I love the look of estates and the noise they make!

I thought my Alfa Quad was bad on fuel, around town I get approx 17mpg and £80 odd of super unleaded gets around 250 miles if I’m lucky without hardly putting my foot down. Managed 300 on a motorway cruise but was on fumes by the end . We don’t buy these cars for their frugality though.

OP, don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. My money would go on M3 competition.

Keep us updated on what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I'm struggling with your comment but I should say I have owned 3 x RS6's and a C7 is my current daily driver. Actually an electric motorbike is my daily commuting tool in good weather which probably explains why the RS6 only has 19,000 miles on it! Most cars are dull at 30mph around town. I've also owned two TVRs, one Ferrari, a V12 Jaguar, and driven c63s, M5s, an M6 and Porsche 911s and Cayennes regularly and occasionally others. My preference, by far, is the RS6, yours clearly is the c63. I should say that my RS6 has been heavily modified and is now pushing 730bhp and 820 lb/ft of torque but the practicality of it in combination with, frankly, insane performance is what wins it for me. Gone are the days of me owning 2 or 3 cars; I just can't be bothered with it any longer and so have one great all-rounder.
    Fair enough and the rs6 is definitely quicker in a straight line, but that’s only one factor. I just found it dull from a handling perspective in comparison, and the interior is horribly dated unless you can get a newer one (which I haven’t driven to be fair as it was way to expensive).

As you say it’s personal choice. we have the C63s estate and an i3 for short journeys, perfect combo IMHO as we need 2 cars. I have also owned and driven many high performance cars…

Craftsman
    BMW X3 M40i, again Joe Achilles has done a couple of videos on it

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Wow! That’s some fuel consumption for the Merc. I was considering a c63 amg estate for a long time, I love the look of estates and the noise they make!
    Yeah, it's pretty exciting! On the motorway, if I behave myself, I'll get nearly 30mpg, and upwards of 350 miles to a tank. And I'm not complaining - I knew what I was buying! But the Kia (for me) makes the C63 a viable proposal. (Never mind the whole short journeys never letting the car get to operating temp, and the extra miles I would be putting on it.)

I've just filled the Kia for the first time since I bought it on the 14th December. I put in under £40 of E10 at Tesco, and that means I've saved about £50 over using the Mercedes for the 192 miles I've done in the blue bullet. I'm enjoying the contrast between the two cars!

But when I sell the Mercedes, I'll be looking for that elusive 7.5 Golf R wagon...

Craftsman
    Don't go 4 cylinder, enjoy a big capacity 6 or 8 (or even 10) before they're too expensive to run or legislated out of existence.

Fair enough and the rs6 is definitely quicker in a straight line, but that’s only one factor. I just found it dull from a handling perspective in comparison, and the interior is horribly dated unless you can get a newer one (which I haven’t driven to be fair as it was way to expensive).

As you say it’s personal choice. we have the C63s estate and an i3 for short journeys, perfect combo IMHO as we need 2 cars. I have also owned and driven many high performance cars…
    I don’t want to bash Audi, it does depend on what you want, as a place to sit in comfort, with lovely interiors, style and straight line performance they are amazing. I do fully concur with Max above, in terms of handling they are dull. I was at a Track day not long ago; thankfully in my MX5 having a blast, there were two RS6 estates and they were under steering everywhere, over heated their tyres and brakes and just looked lurchy and horrible on track; no doubt the ESP and Quattro 4WD re-distributing power. Probably a nice safe and refined car at road speeds. I have been out in a mates E63 Merc Bi-Turbo, that was a blast but I would not dare turn the safety aids off on a public highway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Kia Stinger 3.3 GT S. 370 BHP and 7 years warranty.
    You best me to it - they are a great looking car. And reliable!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Hello, OP, it looks like you're going through some of the choices that I was considering last year. I wanted a high-performance practical car for myself and my two pre-teens.

We (it was always going to be a choice made by all three of us) quickly rejected by first choice - the five-door RS5 - as being too dark and black, and too uncomfortable, in the back!

We test-drive a VW Golf R, mark 7.5, but the wagon version, and we all loved it. (This echoes yumma's suggestion of its sister car, the Seat.) Someone else loved it, too - it was sold out from under us whilst we were on our test drive!

I ended up buying a 30k miles, 2016 W205 C63 wagon, and I've very pleased with it. Authorised used, so two-year warranty, full service history (and a fresh service), four new tyres. It's great, and makes me feel very special.

But.

Around town, I get about 14mpg.

14! £100 of high-test was getting me about 200 miles. Amazing! (Not surprised, but still. Good job I didn't get the older W204 6.2 V8!)

And I do do quite a lot around town. So I also bought a three-year-old, 9000-mile Kia Picanto. I bought it over a month ago, and have yet to put any fuel in it!

OP, you're sorted with your Mazda, so go for it - get something fun, and save it for those 5-8k miles when you leave town behind!
    But it is so worth it for the noise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post

I thought my Alfa Quad was bad on fuel, around town I get approx 17mpg and £80 odd of super unleaded gets around 250 miles if I’m lucky without hardly putting my foot down. Managed 300 on a motorway cruise but was on fumes by the end . We don’t buy these cars for their frugality though.

OP, don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. My money would go on M3 competition.

Keep us updated on what you decide.
    Interesting how we are all different, assuming you have owned an M3. My M4 is by far the worst performance car out of the box without further modifications that I wasn’t willing to pay for.

Never had a car that felt it was always going to kill me. Maybe people enjoy that, on an undulating country road I found it the worst car for making progress confidently. Even my old Z4M could cope with mid corner and even straight undulations better. The last gen of M had awful damping control.

Traded for a Cayman 981 GTS and difference is chalk & cheese handling wise. Yes I know it is 2 seater etc, but compared to the E9x M and the E46 M, this last gen was by far the worst and most disappointing performance car I’ve owned.

Master
    As any lady will tell you, size is very important. Chances are that you will gather up a huge amount of babyalia over the next few months, so an estate really is your best option.
    Ps kids are the most amazing, life changing, thing. Ever.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Not a BMW, they are for balding middle aged golfers with an office job

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    You best me to it - they are a great looking car. And reliable!
    No German badge on the boot though ;)