closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flick Knives

Flick Knives

I'm just idly wondering why they're illegal in the UK. They don't appear to be any more stabby or lethal than any other knife, and it is apparent that concealing a fixed blade knife isn't difficult. So what's special about flick knives? Knee jerk legislation from times gone by, perhaps?

Craftsman
    I would say speed of blade deployment and one handed operation are the key reasons.

I'd always assumed that since it's design is essentially to be a concealed/ more readily concealable assault weapon then what lawful purpose/function does such a knife serve that isn't better served by a fixed blade of legal size but I'm no expert.

Also aren't some of the spring loaded type sufficiently powerful to inflict injury if held close or next to the victim and the deployment button pushed...stabbing without the need to move your arm.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th January 2022 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm just idly wondering why they're illegal in the UK. They don't appear to be any more stabby or lethal than any other knife, and it is apparent that concealing a fixed blade knife isn't difficult. So what's special about flick knives? Knee jerk legislation from times gone by, perhaps?
    Probably. But unlike a fixed knife they are illegal per se. You can't own them (I believe the exemption for older models acquired when they were still legal has been rescinded) let alone carry them, and of course you cannot sell them.
    I believe that flick knives were considered as of not practical use other than using them against another human being, and therefore were weapons whereas other knives could at least pretend being tools.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Piqued my interest so I was reading this page which lists the illegal-in-the-UK knives:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

The swords one is interesting as they are obviously originally designed for the purpose of being an offensive weapon - you can have any sword as long as it is traditionally made. I'm guessing this "prices out" those on the street that otherwise would use them as a weapon?
    Last edited by Christian; 17th January 2022 at 15:30.

It was 1959, they were likely banned because they were a popular carry among young thugs at the time.

I guess it is simular to zombie knives being banned now, they are abused by a minority in this era so they get banned.

The law leaves very few legal choices should you wish to carry a defensive weapon against a blade attack, which is sad and unfortunate in these times...I sourced myself a telescoping baton after my stabbing since it happened so close to my home, my daily route to work took me past the Estate where the assailants most likely resided, it seemed entirely possible I might encounter them again... I was breaking the law obviously though under the circumstances it was the sensible, pragmatic response.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th January 2022 at 15:41.

In the days when I did night calls I carried a big maglight torch which could double for self defense and was legal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Niss View Post
    In the days when I did night calls I carried a big maglight torch which could double for self defense and was legal.

The Law is an ass in the UK. If you hit an unarmed mugger with a Maglight, they would call it unreasonable force and charge you with assault.

They would expect you with fight off your attacker bare handed in a queensberry rules fisty cuffs like a true Gent lol. I hate the UK Legal system as you can tell.

Master
    I used to have a flick & butterfly knife from school trips to Europe as a kid.

I still have the scar on my finger from where I learned i was not some knife wielding guru from some sort of gang.

Happily the scar has reduced over the years. The embarrassment of wrapping my finger in my T-shirt until it was obvious to everyone on the coach (I know!) that I had had a little bit of an accident remains.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    The Law is an ass in the UK. If you hit an unarmed mugger with a Maglight, they would call it unreasonable force and charge you with assault.

They would expect you with fight off your attacker bare handed in a queensberry rules fisty cuffs like a true Gent lol. I hate the UK Legal system as you can tell.
    As far as I recall from my night duties, using a torch at night to fend off an attack if you feared for your own safety would be ok in DEFENSE only, if you beat them senseless with it you would become the offender. Keep a back foot stance and Do NOT move onto the offensive.

Flick Knives

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    As far as I recall from my night duties, using a torch at night to fend off an attack if you feared for your own safety would be ok in DEFENSE only, if you beat them senseless with it you would become the offender. Keep a back foot stance and Do NOT move onto the offensive.
    Latest torches now with mega lumens strobe mode will more than likely do more damage, probably end up with an optician bill from would be mugger!

I have one of these O-light Warrior X torches, apparently you blind would be assailant with 2000 lumens and then crack them in the cranium with the blue tooled head of the torch splitting their skull..

Last edited by murkeywaters; 17th January 2022 at 17:33.

A police officer once advised me to carry a 4 D-cell mag-lite at night, handy for seeing in the dark and could have other uses if attacked.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    A police officer once advised me to carry a 4 D-cell mag-lite at night, handy for seeing in the dark and could have other uses if attacked.
    Do it, but NEVER concede that you did it. Even an innocent item becomes an offensive weapon when carried for self defence.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think assisted openers like the Kershaw knives are still legal in the UK, albeit not EDC as they lock. They are quite impressively quick and slick…

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think assisted openers like the Kershaw knives are still legal in the UK, albeit not EDC as they lock. They are quite impressively quick and slick…
    I was going to post the same earlier, I have one and it’s incredibly fast to open with one hand.
    Cheers..
    Jase

When I was a lad, flick combs were the thing to have. 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

Flick Knives

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    When I was a lad, flick combs were the thing to have. ðŸ˜
    I just experienced the kind of flashback I had with the recent thread about choppers. Happy days :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Tactical umbrella is another option https://unbreakableumbrella.com/unbr...opic-umbrella/
    I had a good chuckle and the vicious beating he gave that punching bag.

But honestly this seems very expensive for what it is. Plus the fact they market it as a self defence tool (in UK law this equals a weapon right?). If you were to use it in self defence, there could be no doubt that you were intentionally carrying a weapon, ergo I think they lose the 'legal' argument they're attempting to sell it based on. But I'm no lawyer!

The policeman who ran the self defence course I was on suggested maglite torches as we had a legitimate reason for carrying a quality torch at night. If attacked it would not be unreasonable to use it for self defence. On the other hand carrying a baseball bat would not go down well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Latest torches now with mega lumens strobe mode will more than likely do more damage, probably end up with an optician bill from would be mugger!

I have one of these O-light Warrior X torches, apparently you blind would be assailant with 2000 lumens and then crack them in the cranium with the blue tooled head of the torch splitting their skull..

Yes, I still have this torch but remember if you want it to be effective in conflict you must keep a knee jerk reaction time to make it work for you- button press must be instinctive or you will be too slow- keep practising!

Master
    As Mr Miyagi said, "best defense is no be there"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    As Mr Miyagi said, "best defense is no be there"
    True but sometimes you are paid to be there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    On a night duty when on foot patrol, I used to carry a four cell mag lite in my truncheon pocket instead of my truncheon.

An interesting subject; I like knives which makes me sound like a weirdo I suppose but I like the craftsmanship and design combined with functionality. I have inexpensive items like Opinel through to relatively expensive ones such as Benchmade. Opening and locking mechanisms vary but I don’t have any “flick” knives usually called automatics these days but if you look at a system like Benchmade’s Axis Lock the blade can be deployed one-handed in an instant yet such knives are legal to own in the UK albeit obviously not “street legal”. I’m not sure about the legality of assisted opening systems e.g. the Kershaw system ? there is after all a spring doing most of the work. There are also manual “flipper” knives which have a pivot system and are completely manually deployed i.e. no spring but are they legal to own in the UK ? Heinnie Haynes for example do not sell them but other UK Vendors do. I guess it’s down to interpretation and I’m not sure it’s ever been tested in the courts.

Anyway those I have get used in and around the house, garage and garden or out fishing but I suppose I’m taking a risk with Plod there.

Definitely a small powerful torch with a strobe and sturdy crown for self defence.

Blog Entries
    If anyone is unsure of the law see here. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives edit;(just seen it's already been posted in the thread!)

There are exceptions to some of the items though, such as sword sticks, which are legal to possess if over 100 years old. Possess not carry in public.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 18th January 2022 at 01:51.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Flick Knives

Flick knives, defo never been a thing for picnics or work duties, so would always have been viewed as an offensive weapon, I assume?

Slight derailment, but as it is being discussed:

Plenty of things you can carry legitimately that would double as a useful improvised weapon should something happen and you were fortunate enough to improvise in that moment (your honour).

You can also improvise a rapid deployment of a blade from the pocket now, and stay within the limits of the law (assuming you have a legitimate reason to carry the knife to begin with).

But the reality is, if you are not training to use a knife offensively then it is likely going to put you in as much of harms way as not, should you try to use it.
    Hard heavy objects are a safer bet - but same applies. Don’t assume you’re ready to club someone over the bonce if you have never actually practiced accessing and using it in that manner.
    Most folks go to pieces under adrenal stress if they have not practiced through a scenario previously. Whatever you think you would do is, very often, a long way from how you actually naturally react in an adrenalised state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prow
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 18th January 2022 at 23:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I used to have a flick & butterfly knife from school trips to Europe as a kid.
    I remember people on our school cruise round the Med in 1973 buying flick knives, in Greece I think. One lad had his discovered during a cabin inspection (we were in a sort of dormitory cabin sleeping about 20 kids) and he was marched to the deck and made to watch it being thrown over the side. I saw a bottle of Scotch get thrown over as well, though that wasn't someone from my own school.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I remember people on our school cruise round the Med in 1973 buying flick knives, in Greece I think. One lad had his discovered during a cabin inspection (we were in a sort of dormitory cabin sleeping about 20 kids) and he was marched to the deck and made to watch it being thrown over the side. I saw a bottle of Scotch get thrown over as well, though that wasn't someone from my own school.
    SS Uganda or Nevasa? Happy memories for me.

As for flick knives, I had two plus a throwing knife in my early teens in the late 60s. They were readily available. The idea of them being used as a weapon was simply not there in those days in rural Shropshire. More innocent times..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

As for flick knives, I had two plus a throwing knife in my early teens in the late 60s. They were readily available. The idea of them being used as a weapon was simply not there in those days in rural Shropshire. More innocent times..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Forgot about the throwing knives. Haha good memories & poor aim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember that there were quite a few throwing stars produced during metalwork lessons.

Master

Craftsman
    most things are available on wish

https://www.wish.com/search/flick%20...n=12&share=web

Craftsman
    I found my older brothers flick knife/switch blade back in the 80s. Like a plonker I took it into school to show my mates. Someone grassed me up to the teachers and I subsequently got expelled. Aah memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

Nevasa! Happy days.

Once you use that it becomes an offensive weapon. The circumstances will dictate how a court will view it. If you were reasonably defending yourself as a victim I doubt you would be arrested.
    The law would be fair in that case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    a system like Benchmade’s Axis Lock the blade can be deployed one-handed in an instant .
    ~~~~
    There are also manual “flipper” knives which have a pivot system and are completely manually deployed i.e. no spring but are they legal to own in the UK ?

The flippers could possibly be defined as gravity knives. For a while customs were seizing all sort if stuff on that basis. I lost a UKPK that way and heavier spydercos easily fall into that category

If you like flipping open an axis lock, try a spyderco smock if you can. I have both on my desk at the moment and the flippyness of the smock is amazing.

I want to get another axis lock at the moment, the bugout mini (535?) As it's so light it would be a great little hiking knife.

My EDC is a little spyderco urban, the old version (at least ten years ago) with orange g10 handles and the Wharncliffe blade has been shortened after I snapped the tip off. The spydiehole is aided by a zip-tie of easy OHO. It's a brilliant knife that i would replace in a heartbeat if I lost, it would be very hard to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Flick knives, defo never been a thing for picnics or work duties, so would always have been viewed as an offensive weapon, I assume?

Slight derailment, but as it is being discussed:

Plenty of things you can carry legitimately that would double as a useful improvised weapon should something happen and you were fortunate enough to improvise in that moment (your honour).

You can also improvise a rapid deployment of a blade from the pocket now, and stay within the limits of the law (assuming you have a legitimate reason to carry the knife to begin with).

But the reality is, if you are not training to use a knife offensively then it is likely going to put you in as much of harms way as not, should you try to use it.
    Hard heavy objects are a safer bet - but same applies. Don’t assume you’re ready to club someone over the bonce if you have never actually practiced accessing and using it in that manner.
    Most folks go to pieces under adrenal stress if they have not practiced through a scenario previously. Whatever you think you would do is, very often, a long way from how you actually naturally react in an adrenalised state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prow
    Aye there's really no substitute for seeing your own blood or the feel of your teeth breaking and nonetheless fighting on, training can only take you so far.

Improvised weapons, a foot and a bit of electric cable, thick type, would probably make a serviceable, possibly 'legal' carry DIY flail...your belt of course but time's possibly, v. likely against you there.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st January 2022 at 11:27.

A walking stick. Possibly from ironwood or blackthorn...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Shillelagh/ knobkerrie style affair, excellent weapons, you French guys even have a martial art for walking cane fighting.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st January 2022 at 12:13.

Flick Knives

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    The flippers could possibly be defined as gravity knives. For a while customs were seizing all sort if stuff on that basis. I lost a UKPK that way and heavier spydercos easily fall into that category

If you like flipping open an axis lock, try a spyderco smock if you can. I have both on my desk at the moment and the flippyness of the smock is amazing.

I want to get another axis lock at the moment, the bugout mini (535?) As it's so light it would be a great little hiking knife.

My EDC is a little spyderco urban, the old version (at least ten years ago) with orange g10 handles and the Wharncliffe blade has been shortened after I snapped the tip off. The spydiehole is aided by a zip-tie of easy OHO. It's a brilliant knife that i would replace in a heartbeat if I lost, it would be very hard to find though.
    The Smock looks great, I like the mechanism (looks like a button lock ?) and the blade shape is my cup of tea too but maybe a bit too similar to my Benchmade 940 ? I considered a Bugout but opted for the more robust Osborne. I do like Spydercos but the only one I own is a fixed blade the Bow River.

Cheers Dig

Moved to other thread
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd January 2022 at 14:35.

Stiletto:

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have two of the Cold Steel versions. Seen Here

You wouldn't want to be at the blunt end of one.

This reminds of a school trip to Paris, the first thing all the boys including me was to go and buy a flick knife, most if not all were confiscated on our return

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I have two of the Cold Steel versions. Seen Here

You wouldn't want to be at the blunt end of one.
    Thanks Temp I took a look at those, nice, I see they do an affordable Norse/tomahawk style axe and I've been toying with setting up a throwing axe target/cage to practise chucking them...tried that in the US on my birthday last year, it was great fun...bit like darts only more satisfying/physical. Cheers.

Master
    The guy in Maida Vale who tried to help after a guy with a knife was attacking other people has been arrested and is being questioned on suspicion of murder: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...d-man-hit-car/

Even a car can be a weapon.

If he's charged, perhaps he can show the videos of police drivers ramming moped gangs...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    The guy in Maida Vale who tried to help after a guy with a knife was attacking other people has been arrested and is being questioned on suspicion of murder: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...d-man-hit-car/

Even a car can be a weapon.

If he's charged, perhaps he can show the videos of police drivers ramming moped gangs...
    "The man with the knife was hit by the car and everyone was trying to help the lady. The man who had been crushed by the car kept calling out 'help me, help me' but no one would go to him as we were all trying to help the woman.”
    How unfortunate for him.

Master
    Self-defence is a defence permitting reasonable force to be used to defend one's self or another.[1] This defence arises both from common law and the Criminal Law Act 1967.[2] Self-defence is a justification defence rather than an excuse.
    The question is, was it reasonable force?
    In this case I would say yes, but it would depend on the exact circumstances.
    Last edited by Steve27752; 25th January 2022 at 15:47.