closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field watch advice (please)

Field watch advice (please)

Was the one thing lacking from my watch box so I bought a lovely Hamilton Khaki manual from SC a year or so back.
    However, my 14 year old had grown out of his old Swatch and as a very keen CCF cadet took a huge shine to it (and he's normally not interested in "things") so I gifted it to him. Which is nice, except I no longer have a field watch.
    Looking for an inexpensive vintage replacement, up to about £300 max. Manual, auto or quartz. Not keen on any of the various G10 options, real or otherwise, so after some forum hive mind wisdom on what's out there to hunt that I may not know about, please.

PS: Except the Fatboy 80 reissue which I do like, but probably can't get on my budget.

Also available in black, blue or green.

I'm a big fan of Marathon for my field watch. Lots to choose from: https://uk.marathonwatch.com/collect...se-field-watch

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I'm a big fan of Marathon for my field watch. Lots to choose from: https://uk.marathonwatch.com/collect...se-field-watch
    I remember Jonathan from Page & Cooper getting the Marathon folk over for an event back in the day. Liked them too but didn't buy one (they did give me a free Marathon woolly hat though which you're welcome to if I can find it).

I think your first choice, the Hamilton Khaki, is a good choice.

I have two Hamilton Khaki 9721, I guess 30 years old+ and a pretty close cousin to the RAF 6B which I also have.

To be honest I like the look of recent offerings 38mm or less and there are some on EBay <£300.

Maybe a US Hamilton Milspec from the 60s, 70s early 80s? I used to pick them up for +/- $100. Like many watches, prices are a bit mad now. I moved them on, they were a bit weedy and I much preferred the Khaki.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s a PRS29A on eBay right now. It’s sat at £400 which stretches the budget of £300 max-ish.

Failing that, The timex Mk1 mechanical is available straight from timex, about £160. Not sure if that fits the bill.

Edit: sorry, missed the true vintage aspect, thought you were looking for something along the Hamilton reissue

I've always thought these are pretty cool, no idea what postage is to UK and what you'd need to account for import tax, but would think should be within budget.

https://merci-merci.com/en/products/...eld-watch-noir

Cheers Billy. I think you’re right but I think if I bought another then it might feel a bit guilty about his so it’ll have to be something else.
    Just seen a Fatboy reissue went in SC recently for £250 so if that’s the going rate I may watch out for another one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    There’s a PRS29A on eBay right now. It’s sat at £400 which stretches the budget of £300 max-ish.

Failing that, The timex Mk1 mechanical is available straight from timex, about £160. Not sure if that fits the bill.

Edit: sorry, missed the true vintage aspect, thought you were looking for something along the Hamilton reissue
    No worries. Vintage the preference but I do really like the reissue Fatboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I've always thought these are pretty cool, no idea what postage is to UK and what you'd need to account for import tax, but would think should be within budget.

https://merci-merci.com/en/products/...eld-watch-noir

It's a handsome thing isn't it. I don't think I could quite get over it being called the thank you thank you though!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    It's a handsome thing isn't it. I don't think I could quite get over it being called the thank you thank you though!
    Haha, well at least they didn't put it on the dial. Very tastefully done.

Just seen a Fatboy reissue went in SC recently for £250 so if that’s the going rate I may watch out for another one of those.

A couple have gone on eBay for less than £300 as well…

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    A couple have gone on eBay for less than £300 as well…

Just read your review too - very keen now!

Just read your review too - very keen now!
    It’s my favourite watch, maybe ever. Sounds like a bold claim, but it’s sort of killing the hobby for me.

I wear it on a rotation of leather, perlon and NATO straps and it covers every base.

The only thing you can not do is swim with it (well maybe you can but I wouldn’t). But to be honest, that’s not an issue for me as I’ve never really been keen on wearing a watch for swimming.

Craftsman

And of course the PRS 29s A & B.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

You like Hamilton so maybe the watch that inspired the Khaki? The MIL W 46374B
    These can be found for around £250 if you search about a bit.
    You would also be able to pick up an original A11 or A17 I would have thought
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th January 2022 at 22:04.

BN0211-50EBlowing the budget a little, Traska's Summiteer is worth a look as it's the cheapest way to add a hardened steel case (a-la Sinn, Damasko, etc) to an automatic watch:

Or well under-budget, and with the advantage of solar power and a toughened steel case, Citizen's Promaster Tough BN0211-50E - I have the green-dialled version and absolutely love it:

Citizen's 'Ray Mears' Titanium field watches also seem pretty popular:

Grand Master
    i'm a big fan of this, huge lume, 41mm, swiss auto, titanium, Ar coated sapphire with sapphire layer to stop marks. i wear mine a lot and on the pictured velcro it's easy to forget i'm wearing it - it's so light!

https://swcusa.com/product/swc-bunker-black/

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    BN0211-50EBlowing the budget a little, Traska's Summiteer is worth a look as it's the cheapest way to add a hardened steel case (a-la Sinn, Damasko, etc) to an automatic watch:

Or well under-budget, and with the advantage of solar power and a toughened steel case, Citizen's Promaster Tough BN0211-50E - I have the green-dialled version and absolutely love it:

Citizen's 'Ray Mears' Titanium field watches also seem pretty popular:

Yes indeed they are. Solar powered quartz watches, with great WR in a monocoque case, in Titanium - what's not to like?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Solved it. For £110!

The CWC T20 is within budget.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cw...31952812376150

I have the mechanical version and absolutely love it.

- Edit -

Apologies, hadn't spotted that OP had found something. I'll leave the post here in case anyone else is looking.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 17th January 2022 at 13:02.

Master
    Appreciate you're sorted OP. For future interest I would look at Boldr. I saw one on Sat evening at a watch related function where Watch Gecko as a retailer were present.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Despite being a tool watch fan, I'm not wild about the field watch as a format. However, that Smiths and the CWC are very nice indeed.
    Damn you, watch temptation!

I was on the lookout for a similar simple, legible and tough day to day wearer and picked up one of these :

https://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/...diver-lithium/

Really impressed and pleased with it...and the tritium tubes are brilliant during the night...(apologies, just seen the OP reference to vintage)..however these GWS watches are well worth a look

Hey, if I can completely ignore my own rules by buying a shop fresh Timex then you certainly can!

Master
    Have a look at Boldr,do a few nice looking watches.Titanium case ,sapphire crystal,auto or quartz.

Last edited by Dr.f; 18th January 2022 at 13:53.

The Venture, I’d definitely buy one if they came out with an ‘Ick’

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

That is a cunning plan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Can you explain?

Apprentice
    Another vote for FATBOY.
    Still trying trying to figure out the attraction but it is captivating. I absolutely love this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Another vote for FATBOY.
    Still trying trying to figure out the attraction but it is captivating. I absolutely love this watch.
    Pretty much sums up my feelings. I am drawn to it every day as my go-to watch. Looks great on virtually any strap too.

Ok so I see the OP has made up his mind but…
    If a vintage field watch is being considered then a Roamer Anfibio should be on the list
    They will come in well under the £300 budget
    They can be had in numerous versions and they are quite a cool little watch

Pictured here with its CWC doppelgänger of a similar vintage
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th January 2022 at 15:42.

I recently picked up the CWC Mellor and spotted the Fatboy after, which is really nice. So much so I question myself if I made the right decision!

A watch should be about legibility and unsure why I like the dial distortion so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Have a look at Boldr,do a few nice looking watches.Titanium case ,sapphire crystal,auto or quartz.
    I have one of these, great watch, very light, the NATO. it comes with has titanium hardware too. Importantly very legible.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread as I'm looking for a field watch and there's some great suggestions here. I've owned a standard g10 before and would add another, the Fatboy looks awesome but I'm not sure that for £350 it offers food value for money. But the Hamilton khaki is in a fair few sales or available with discount for the same or less than the Fatboy and seems more watch for the money

Craftsman
    Somewhat more costly than the options discussed so far, but my preferred field watch is a Farer, built like the proverbial tank

They have a more field green option too with a Mil-W-46374 style dial.

Last edited by Ed875; 22nd January 2022 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Interesting thread as I'm looking for a field watch and there's some great suggestions here. I've owned a standard g10 before and would add another, the Fatboy looks awesome but I'm not sure that for £350 it offers food value for money. But the Hamilton khaki is in a fair few sales or available with discount for the same or less than the Fatboy and seems more watch for the money
    The G10 Fatboy is indeed a very special watch, once you see one in the metal it's tough not to be smitten. Been a favourite of mine for years now and survived all my watch culls which says something.

Craftsman
    Was the one thing lacking from my watch box so I bought a lovely Hamilton Khaki manual from SC a year or so back.
    However, my 14 year old had grown out of his old Swatch and as a very keen CCF cadet took a huge shine to it (and he's normally not interested in "things") so I gifted it to him. Which is nice, except I no longer have a field watch.
    Looking for an inexpensive vintage replacement, up to about £300 max. Manual, auto or quartz. Not keen on any of the various G10 options, real or otherwise, so after some forum hive mind wisdom on what's out there to hunt that I may not know about, please.
    Can't help on a replacement but just wanted to say the scenario rings true for me. My 15 yr old has taken a real liking to my 38mm Hamilton auto field watch as he's in cadets too. You are a better man than I, becuase I told him he wasn't getting it and bought him a new nato for his citizen instead!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    The G10 Fatboy is indeed a very special watch, once you see one in the metal it's tough not to be smitten. Been a favourite of mine for years now and survived all my watch culls which says something.
    Agreed. Hard to capture it in photos, and they are just so great on the wrist.

I like the OP’s final choice though - I have a growing soft spot for ‘value’ quartz - might have to look those up…!

Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 23rd January 2022 at 05:00.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Can't help on a replacement but just wanted to say the scenario rings true for me. My 15 yr old has taken a real liking to my 38mm Hamilton auto field watch as he's in cadets too. You are a better man than I, becuase I told him he wasn't getting it and bought him a new nato for his citizen instead!
    Ha! I should have been stronger!

Master
    Bertucci A2s.

Its great watch and well within price range

Craftsman
    As mentioned, Bertucci make great field watches, I have two....

https://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/WATCHES.html

also Boldr make some nice titanium field pieces....

https://www.watchgecko.com/watches?c...ufacturer=6824
    Last edited by Planet Ocean; 23rd January 2022 at 10:40.

Could be Khakis are ‘in’ and prices on the up, there’s a ‘vintage’ Khaki on J. Crew - $1650!

There are some really great watch ideas on here! Especially since I wasn’t even looking for a field watch and now really want one!

Damn it….. The kids don’t really need new shoes do they?

Craftsman

Turns out maybe I should have just given him it. I was showing him some of this thread and now he's mad to get a birth year issued CWC G10!

Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post
    There are some really great watch ideas on here! Especially since I wasn’t even looking for a field watch and now really want one!

Damn it….. The kids don’t really need new shoes do they?
    Agree. I stumbled in to a thread on the BMW sub forum, which I rarely frequent and suddenly found myself obsessed with acquiring a CWC. A very kind member reached out to offer me a Mellor and I was convinced, once it was here, it would be too small and I would probably move it on satisfied I had scratched the proverbial itch. Truth is it is a delightful piece and has become a bit of a favourite. Plan to add the G10 Fatboy but trying to exercise a bit of restraint and pick one up pre owned rather than wading in like I usually do, buying new.

Craftsman
    July 1969 Hamilton GG-W-113 alongside a 1980 CWC G10 'Fatboy'

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Agree. I stumbled in to a thread on the BMW sub forum, which I rarely frequent and suddenly found myself obsessed with acquiring a CWC. A very kind member reached out to offer me a Mellor and I was convinced, once it was here, it would be too small and I would probably move it on satisfied I had scratched the proverbial itch. Truth is it is a delightful piece and has become a bit of a favourite. Plan to add the G10 Fatboy but trying to exercise a bit of restraint and pick one up pre owned rather than wading in like I usually do, buying new.

Aagh! You’re not helping!!!!