closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Not a Rolex thread

  1. #1

    Not a Rolex thread

    Lie, of course it is!

    Whilst out walking the hounds today i bumped in to one of the sales guys who works in the local AD, lovely chap who I've known for some years who also lives in the same village. As always we got around to watch nonsense and was asking if the current stock levels have improvedÖ.after he stopped laughing he was telling me about hoops that Rolex are making them jump through.
    They are Rolex repair accredited and had 2 fully trained techs and have just put 2 more through the qualifications. After spending 2 mill totally changing their showroom several years ago theyíve now been dropped the bombshell that they have to fork out a further 150k with improvements to the workshops.
    He then said about their stock levels, they should have around 125-150 in stock and have currently only 12. 10 ladies which are all gold and 2 gents 41 DJS which theyíve been told they cant sell. Theyíve also just been told that they have to get 40 in stock to be used as window demonstrators only and are also not allowed to sell. These are all proper watches, not the hollow ones with no movements which they have to purchase and not be given.

    They also sell Bremont, GS, Seiko, TAG ( which are apparently flying ) Longines and a few others. It got me thinking that if i was the owner id be telling Rolex to Far cough. What is the point of being a Rolex dealer given the above, why not just wind it up and get Omega IWC etc which would also sell.
    They currently get given around 20 new models a month from Rolex which are gone instantly, take away the lost time they have with hundreds a calls a month enquiring about models etc i see no logical reason to be a Rolex AD.

  2. #2
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,915
    Blog Entries
    26
    Thanks for posting this. Interest. But I have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    He then said about their stock levels, they should have around 125-150 in stock and have currently only 12. 10 ladies which are all gold and 2 gents 41 DJS which they’ve been told they cant sell. They’ve also just been told that they have to get 40 in stock to be used as window demonstrators only and are also not allowed to sell. These are all proper watches, not the hollow ones with no movements which they have to purchase and not be given.

    [...]
    They currently get given around 20 new models a month from Rolex which are gone instantly, take away the lost time they have with hundreds a calls a month enquiring about models etc i see no logical reason to be a Rolex AD.
    So, to be clear, he was saying that they are lacking stock NOT because they are selling more but because Rolex are shipping less to them? Or would that 20 incoming a month previously have replenished stock that simply sold more slowly? In other words, have their monthly shipments from Rolex reduced from X to 20, or what it always 20 a month?

    As for having to buy stock that they are not allowed to sell, especially when it is two months' worth of allocation, is surely barking mad. If Rolex want them to have watches to show people because lack of window stock looks bad, it's up to Rolex to build and ship more. Clearly Rolex are not happy with the lack of visible stock situation and its effect on their image otherwise they wouldn't have come up with this plan.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Interest. But I have a question.



    So, to be clear, he was saying that they are lacking stock NOT because they are selling more but because Rolex are shipping less to them? Or would that 20 incoming a month previously have replenished stock that simply sold more slowly? In other words, have their monthly shipments from Rolex reduced from X to 20, or what it always 20 a month?

    As for having to buy stock that they are not allowed to sell, especially when it is two months' worth of allocation, is surely barking mad. If Rolex want them to have watches to show people because lack of window stock looks bad, it's up to Rolex to build and ship more. Clearly Rolex are not happy with the lack of visible stock situation and its effect on their image otherwise they wouldn't have come up with this plan.
    Yes, they should have 120 ish watches in stock but they havenít had that level for ages (pre refurb) The 20 watches received don't hit the windows and are going straight to orders. The 20 odd watches a month is now typical of a normal quantity.

  4. #4
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,915
    Blog Entries
    26
    Thanks for your reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yes, they should have 120 ish watches in stock but they haven’t had that level for ages (pre refurb) The 20 watches received don't hit the windows and are going straight to orders.
    Yes, you said, but do you see that what they have in stock at any one time is not directly related solely to what is delivered each month. It depends on sales levels too. If sales were lower than at present, it would not be difficult at all to build up a stock of 120 with a regular shipment of 20 watches a month. See what I mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The 20 odd watches a month is now typical of a normal quantity.
    So here is the key question: Are you are saying that they previously received far more than 20 watches a month, and that the 20 watches they get a month now is a small fraction of what they previously received?

    Sorry to so pedantic. :-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th January 2022 at 18:56.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,977
    Blog Entries
    1
    Big fan of that AD and the staff.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    I donít really buy what heís telling you - not saying that some of its not true, just heís telling you a lot of negatives and no positives. Otherwise if itís as bad as heís implying (and other people at ADís to be fair) they would all be walking away from Rolex.

    Did they spend 2 mill totally changing their showroom because Rolex told them to? If so and they agreed, they must do incredibly well out of their Rolex dealership to justify that level of spend, or they would go out of business.

    My guess is that a lot of ADís are making far more money out of having a Rolex AD than ever before - they are selling all the watches they always sold, all the watches they used to sell with small discounts but now with no discounts, all the watches they used to discount heavily, but now at full retail and many of the watches they could never shift. On top of that they are flogging a lot of carp to go with it that people donít want to buy!

    Maybe Iím exaggerating a bit and also guessing a bit, but Iíd say that it boom times for many ADís, they just donít want us to know it. They e taken a lot of flack lately, they donít want to take more.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,755
    The Rolex AD in Reykjavik has one of the new spec workshops. Iíve seen operating theatres and dental surgeries that are no where near as clean. They were like hermetically sealed labs used to manufacture silicon chips.

    They had no in demand stock but not allowed to give the retail space over to another brand pending stock.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I donít really buy what heís telling you - not saying that some of its not true, just heís telling you a lot of negatives and no positives. Otherwise if itís as bad as heís implying (and other people at ADís to be fair) they would all be walking away from Rolex.

    Did they spend 2 mill totally changing their showroom because Rolex told them to? If so and they agreed, they must do incredibly well out of their Rolex dealership to justify that level of spend, or they would go out of business.

    My guess is that a lot of ADís are making far more money out of having a Rolex AD than ever before - they are selling all the watches they always sold, all the watches they used to sell with small discounts but now with no discounts, all the watches they used to discount heavily, but now at full retail and many of the watches they could never shift. On top of that they are flogging a lot of carp to go with it that people donít want to buy!

    Maybe Iím exaggerating a bit and also guessing a bit, but Iíd say that it boom times for many ADís, they just donít want us to know it. They e taken a lot of flack lately, they donít want to take more.
    Total refit, massive change to the whole shop which was once a gift shop to the right and yes had to change the layout as they were originally integrated with Tudor etc
    No reason to suggest any bull tbh.
    I just couldnít understand why anyone would bother with Rolex given the figures quoted


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Big fan of that AD and the staff.
    Yep good bunch of guys


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,834
    Blog Entries
    1
    Iím certain the ADs management teams do the maths and know their business an where their profits are. Iím sure they are doing fine. Just look at WOS share price and performance. They are coining it in.

  11. #11
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    13,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Total refit, massive change to the whole shop which was once a gift shop to the right and yes had to change the layout as they were originally integrated with Tudor etc
    No reason to suggest any bull tbh.
    I just couldnít understand why anyone would bother with Rolex given the figures quoted


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well at an average of £10k per watch, 240 watches a year is £2.4 million turnover for little or no efforts. Assuming 40% GP, thatís nearly a million in profit to pay the overheads leaving most, if not all, profit from other products as bottom line.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    471
    Selling everything they get sounds good with no hassle like before with all the Rolex tat in the windows.

    People are buying two tones like mad, so do the maths, it's 1.4 mil profit a year minimum. Could be way more now people are buying 40k watch’s like there is no tomorrow.

    That’s only if they get 20 a month, I bet they get more.it’s easy money and instant.

    You get the Rolex call you pay straight away, it’s liquid money for them.
    Plus as people say people are buying other stuff now to get a Rolex.

    Rolex kept every dealer alive though covid.
    While most shops were shut, Rolex dealers were doing click and collect, Rolex saved most high street shops imo.
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 16th January 2022 at 20:08.

  13. #13
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    Selling everything they get sounds good with no hassle like before with all the Rolex tat in the windows.

    People are buying two tones like mad, so do the maths, it's 1.4 mil profit a year minimum. Could be way more now people are buying 40k watchís like there is no tomorrow.

    Thatís only if they get 20 a month, I bet they get more.itís easy money and instant.

    You get the Rolex call you pay straight away, itís liquid money for them.
    Plus as people say people are buying other stuff now to get a Rolex.

    Rolex kept every dealer alive though covid.
    While most shops were shut, Rolex dealers were doing click and collect, Rolex saved most high street shops imo.
    Can I get some of whatever you're smokin'?

  14. #14
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,006
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Can I get some of whatever you're smokin'?
    The last 2 Rolex I bought were in Covid times (YM40 RG and Sub 41mm ND) - both at MRP from a well known UK London AD on New Bond St. Doing a brisk business so I can guess what was being hinted at. Easy money for the AD and nice rock solid profit stream.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG

  15. #15
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The last 2 Rolex I bought were in Covid times (YM40 RG and Sub 41mm ND) - both at MRP from a well known UK London AD on New Bond St. Doing a brisk business so I can guess what was being hinted at. Easy money for the AD and nice rock solid profit stream.
    Not sure it's saving the high street though, unless I've missed something

    I genuinely don't bother walking into Rolex ADs anymore. Fan of the brand, but CBA as I no longer have spend history at an AD. While financial lucrative no doubt, I honestly think it must be an awful place to work these days; I'd be on edge every time someone walked in the door, knowing full well what's likely coming and the response I'd have to give.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information