closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time dilation

Time dilation

Time seems to run faster or slower depending on what we're doing.

Laughing with friends = time speeds up.

Running on a treadmill = time slows down.

Or, at least our minds play tricks on us to make us think time is speeding up or slowing down.

The reality is quite strange though.

This video helped me a little to understand more about time dilation that doesn't involve wine or beer.

Yes i notice it in places i have worked.

Boring repetative job with people you hate with a passion = Time goes very slowly

Varied interesting job with half decent people = Times goes quickly

In 1929 Einstein explained it thus -

'An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour'.

Agreed.

20 years of marriage feels like... well, let me just check my physics is correct. I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, I think it might be possible to argue that wearing a larger watch means time runs more slowly for the wearer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

'An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour'.
    unarguable

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Time flies at an unbelievable pace when doing an exam.

I remember undertaking an exam a few years ago and I worked out how much time to spend reading the exam case studies and the time per question, so in theory I should have answered half the questions with half the time remaining.

I must have started relaxing or daydreaming which descended into silent internal panic with the realisation that 2/3 of the time has past with just over half the questions remaining.

Where the did the time go. With my heart racing, I had to recalculate the time per question to answer all remaining questions, which almost seemed impossible. It was to my complete surprise that I passed.

That's a good point.

I remember some exams were really just a test of how quickly the student could write clearly.

Towards the end my test papers often looked like a prescription.

Football fans will recognise that when you're winning 1-0, the last five minutes seem like ten. When your team is losing 1-0, they fly by in an instant.

No need to wait until you can afford to become a space tourist. With a bit of forward planning, and an atomic clock for reference, simply take the kids up Mt Rainier for a few days on a road trip.

http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/tour/
    Last edited by petethegeek; 16th January 2022 at 19:05. Reason: Removed redundant 'for'

^Brilliant link!

I've always found that time slows remarkably when freediving.

Also when coming off a motorbike.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I am interested in (although I don't (yet) practice) meditation and breathing control - so to hear about freediving slowing time makes sense, R.

Presumably slowing time might be beneficial for all of us.

PS sorry to hear that you had a fall on the bike, hope you're OK.

Just trying to work out how much less the driver will have aged if he spends his life driving his car at this speed. Assuming the car never stops to refuel and his co-driver takes over so he can sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I am interested in (although I don't (yet) practice) meditation and breathing control - so to hear about freediving slowing time makes sense, R.

Presumably slowing time might be beneficial for all of us.

PS sorry to hear that you had a fall on the bike, hope you're OK.
    Every good freediver that I know practices yoga and meditation; it very much a cerebral thing.

The bike reference was regarding enduro riding, whereby coming off was fairly frequent: my mantra was that 'if you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've always found that time slows remarkably when freediving.

Also when coming off a motorbike.

R
    Too true - fell off my bike years ago, and remember almost enjoying the experience of skidding across the tarmac once I had worked out my trajectory and speed and realised I wasn’t going to get hit or hit anything! Then I sat back and zoomed along for what felt like 5 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not long after I started work, (in telephone exchanges), I stepped on a board covering a cable hole between two floors. The board should have been screwed down, but it wasn't. I still re-live what happened next....

The board dipped at one corner and disappeared through the very large hole, followed by me. Only it all happened in slow motion - I could somehow see and understand what was going on, everything was happening so slowly; so I reached out and caught the raised lip of one side of the hole, hung there for what seemed like several minutes before pulling myself up and out of the hole, helped by a couple of colleagues who had seen what happened. When I looked down I could see that the hole immediately below wasn't boarded and the board I'd stood on was on the power plant on the floor below that one!

Don't think it's anything to do with time dilation though, more like the brain running in overdrive!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I can remember passing a parked car, on my motorcycle. It was parked with 2 wheels on the footpath, so there was plenty of room to get through, even with the cars coming in the opposite direction, as it was a wide road, until the driver fully opened the door, without looking behind! I swear that my body and the bike, instantly slimmed to get through the gap. As said, it was as if in slow motion, even the wiggle, to clear the door of the parked car and the door mirror of the oncoming car.P......h..... e....w....!

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    No need to wait until you can afford to become a space tourist. With a bit of forward planning, and an atomic clock for reference, simply take the kids up Mt Rainier for a few days on a road trip.

http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/tour/
    This is my "post of the month"
    It is utterly utterly inspiring and brilliant for all the geeks out there,
    What a dad !

Is it wrong that I am planning stuff like this with my kids? Dragging them up mountains and the like for science experiments.

I have a G-shock that takes it's atomic clock signal from Anthorn, It used to get the signal from Rugby, but they moved the broadcast to Anthorn in 2007.
    If you stand in my garden, on a clear day, you can see the masts: https://www.visitcumbria.com/wp-cont...horn-0534b.jpg
    It is aprox 23 miles.
    They broadcast the NPL time signal to Europe. Aprox 1000 km range.

We did some camping in March 2020 in the first lock down, and because the school were shut, I needed to step up and provide science education.
    So I kept the kids awake until 1am at the start of British Summer Time, to see my watch jump forward an hour, whilst maintaining line-of-sight to the transmission source.

I say, kept awake, they were only 50% though the Haribo

So, hooray for family science.

The "perception of time" that has been discussed above feels like it could be similar to the feeling you can experience in sports that require reactions/coordination. As a keen tennis player, I definitely notice this...on good days, the ball seems to hang in the air with lots of time to think about what you are doing and on a bad day, you just don't get the same feeling. I guess the better/more experienced you get, your brain is probably doing more subconsciously which allows the conscious part more capacity?

^Rob, Gris and tix I have definitely experienced that feeling. It's as if you're almost looking at yourself experiencing it.

On the tennis, it could be, Christian. Which is perhaps why stimulants are often banned if they reduce reaction times.

Doc, those kinds of practical experiments are really important.

Sometimes I over-extend myself on the theory though.

I managed to get myself into a little bit of a pickle recently with the children in regard to whether a car travelling at the speed of light would be able to put on its headlights though...

"Well, you see the car would need to be massless and so the occupants wouldn't really experience time, so... [begins to falter]... er... that would mean they couldn't turn the lights on anyway... so... er... perhaps we should think about something else."

Just trying to work out how much less the driver will have aged...
    I haven't calculated that but I did read that if someone were to spend their life travelling on a jet circling the Earth and lived to be 100, they'd be younger than those on Earth by 1/10,000th of a second.

Just trying to work out how much less the driver will have aged if he spends his life driving his car at this speed. Assuming the car never stops to refuel and his co-driver takes over so he can sleep.

Age stuff is interesting.....but driver of YouTube Bugatti is an arsehole.

Is he?

I don't really follow anyone with a supercar on YouTube apart from Harry Metcalfe (he used to edit one of the magazines I used to buy). I watch some of the Goodwood racing but all the other motoring channels I watch tend to be restoration-based.

Is he?
    Well.....he drives a car at hyper speed on a public road with absolutely no concern for the saftey or wellbeing of others?
    All good fun and great for his YouTube subscribers until he collects up an innocent driver or family and wipes them out.

Oh right. Yes, I don't think I would be taking that risk.

Presumably if he can afford the car he could probably afford to hire Ehra-Lessien for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

As a young man, my problem was always finding a pretty girl to sit next to who wouldn't rather be sitting on the hot stove.

I always liked the quote attributed to Marx (Groucho, of course!) -

'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.'

Some interesting information on its origin here -

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/0...e-flies-arrow/
    ::
    ::
    Incidentally, the most time has slowed for me was when I rolled a Land-Rover from a road through a fence & into a frozen field. Took seconds, but felt like ages & all in super-hi-def-slo-mo.

I was trapped upside down for a few minutes. That also seemed never-ending.
    ______

​Jim.

Believe time appears to pass more quickly as people age due to slower processing of images etc. in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Incidentally, the most time has slowed for me was when I rolled a Land-Rover from a road through a fence & into a frozen field. Took seconds, but felt like ages & all in super-hi-def-slo-mo.
    In the 1980's as a teenager, looking out my bedroom window I witnessed ball lightening. We lived in a valley, the ball tracked down the side of the valley, passed just over our house and struck the road infront of our house. It fried our house alarm and a couple of other bits of electrical kit.
    It can only have taken two, maybe three seconds, but it felt a lot longer. I did think it was going to hit me. It's amazing just how much thinking you can do in a very short space of time!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    As a young man, my problem was always finding a pretty girl to sit next to who wouldn't rather be sitting on the hot stove.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I always liked the quote attributed to Marx (Groucho, of course!) -

'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.'

Some interesting information on its origin here -

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/0...e-flies-arrow/.
    Love that, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Believe time appears to pass more quickly as people age due to slower processing of images etc. in the brain.
    Really?

That makes sense.

It seems to be now that Christmas is immediately followed by Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    In the 1980's as a teenager, looking out my bedroom window I witnessed ball lightening. We lived in a valley, the ball tracked down the side of the valley, passed just over our house and struck the road infront of our house. It fried our house alarm and a couple of other bits of electrical kit.
    It can only have taken two, maybe three seconds, but it felt a lot longer. I did think it was going to hit me. It's amazing just how much thinking you can do in a very short space of time!
    Ball lightning is very rare IIRC.

I once saw a shooting star and those few seconds during which its glowing green trail traced across the night sky seemed to last long enough for me to make quite a long wish.

Ball lightning is very rare IIRC.
    Yes very. It was about 8am, & I wasn't the only witness.

^Wonderful stuff.

It's easy to see how early civilisations would attribute such a sighting to something conscious.

Really?

That makes sense.

It seems to be now that Christmas is immediately followed by Easter.
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...-get-older.pdf

Thanks KS that is another very interesting link.

Appreciate it.

One thing i have noticed about time perception during your average skydive, roughly 60s of freefall, is that you instinctively know how much time you have left and pull your parachute almost always on the dot even if you don’t look at your altimeter. But if you watch the video back afterwards and run the same countdown in your head, you’d be late almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    One thing i have noticed about time perception during your average skydive, roughly 60s of freefall, is that you instinctively know how much time you have left and pull your parachute almost always on the dot even if you don’t look at your altimeter. But if you watch the video back afterwards and run the same countdown in your head, you’d be late almost every time.
    Seems similar to drawing the conclusion that crossing 6 lanes of fast moving motorway traffic on foot isn't dangerous, on the basis of interviewing people who've tried.