closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time dilation

Hybrid View

Time dilation

Time seems to run faster or slower depending on what we're doing.

Laughing with friends = time speeds up.

Running on a treadmill = time slows down.

Or, at least our minds play tricks on us to make us think time is speeding up or slowing down.

The reality is quite strange though.

This video helped me a little to understand more about time dilation that doesn't involve wine or beer.

Yes i notice it in places i have worked.

Boring repetative job with people you hate with a passion = Time goes very slowly

Varied interesting job with half decent people = Times goes quickly

In 1929 Einstein explained it thus -

'An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour'.

Agreed.

20 years of marriage feels like... well, let me just check my physics is correct. I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, I think it might be possible to argue that wearing a larger watch means time runs more slowly for the wearer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

'An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour'.
    unarguable

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Time flies at an unbelievable pace when doing an exam.

I remember undertaking an exam a few years ago and I worked out how much time to spend reading the exam case studies and the time per question, so in theory I should have answered half the questions with half the time remaining.

I must have started relaxing or daydreaming which descended into silent internal panic with the realisation that 2/3 of the time has past with just over half the questions remaining.

Where the did the time go. With my heart racing, I had to recalculate the time per question to answer all remaining questions, which almost seemed impossible. It was to my complete surprise that I passed.

That's a good point.

I remember some exams were really just a test of how quickly the student could write clearly.

Towards the end my test papers often looked like a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

As a young man, my problem was always finding a pretty girl to sit next to who wouldn't rather be sitting on the hot stove.

I always liked the quote attributed to Marx (Groucho, of course!) -

'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.'

Some interesting information on its origin here -

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/0...e-flies-arrow/
    ::
    ::
    Incidentally, the most time has slowed for me was when I rolled a Land-Rover from a road through a fence & into a frozen field. Took seconds, but felt like ages & all in super-hi-def-slo-mo.

I was trapped upside down for a few minutes. That also seemed never-ending.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Incidentally, the most time has slowed for me was when I rolled a Land-Rover from a road through a fence & into a frozen field. Took seconds, but felt like ages & all in super-hi-def-slo-mo.
    In the 1980's as a teenager, looking out my bedroom window I witnessed ball lightening. We lived in a valley, the ball tracked down the side of the valley, passed just over our house and struck the road infront of our house. It fried our house alarm and a couple of other bits of electrical kit.
    It can only have taken two, maybe three seconds, but it felt a lot longer. I did think it was going to hit me. It's amazing just how much thinking you can do in a very short space of time!

Believe time appears to pass more quickly as people age due to slower processing of images etc. in the brain.

One thing i have noticed about time perception during your average skydive, roughly 60s of freefall, is that you instinctively know how much time you have left and pull your parachute almost always on the dot even if you don’t look at your altimeter. But if you watch the video back afterwards and run the same countdown in your head, you’d be late almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    One thing i have noticed about time perception during your average skydive, roughly 60s of freefall, is that you instinctively know how much time you have left and pull your parachute almost always on the dot even if you don’t look at your altimeter. But if you watch the video back afterwards and run the same countdown in your head, you’d be late almost every time.
    Seems similar to drawing the conclusion that crossing 6 lanes of fast moving motorway traffic on foot isn't dangerous, on the basis of interviewing people who've tried.