closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: specsavers vs online

Blog Entries

specsavers vs online

morning, not had my eyes tested for a couple of years so going to specsavers this morning.
    couple of questions guys, will they give me a paper eye test thingy? i have seen some nice frames online at good prices are these worth looking at, btw i use bi-focals.
    cheers in advance.

Craftsman
    Yes, your optician will give you your prescription and you can use this to make an online order.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

They should give you your prescription, that's what the test is for.

For online ordering they will ask for your PD (pupillary distance) so ask for that whilst having your test.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    They should give you your prescription, that's what the test is for.

For online ordering they will ask for your PD (pupillary distance) so ask for that whilst having your test.

cheers for that, yes seen that asked.

specsavers vs online

I go to specsavers for my eye test, and buy from glasses direct using the paper results that specsavers provide.

I only need readers and can usually get a couple of pairs from glasses direct for £20 with a promotion.

Master
    I did the same before Christmas.
    Eye test from Specsaves but didn't get my PD.
    Bought frames and had old frames reglazed by https://pretavoir.co.uk/ Really good service.
    Found my PD using an app, and then confirmed it measuring manually. https://pretavoir.co.uk/blogs/news/m...pupil-distance

Grand Master
    I’ve worn varifocals for many years and in my experience the fitting and measurement is crucial to get the optimum performance. Relying in apps to make measurements doesn’t strike me as sensible.

I wouldn't dream of trying to buy varifocals online, use a good optician and pay what it costs. If I was buying reading glasses or single focus glasses I might risk buying online but never for varifocals.

Varifocals will always be a compromise, be prepared to pay for the best lenses and the best fitting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve worn varifocals for many years and in my experience the fitting and measurement is crucial to get the optimum performance. Relying in apps to make measurements doesn’t strike me as sensible.

I wouldn't dream of trying to buy varifocals online, use a good optician and pay what it costs. If I was buying reading glasses or single focus glasses I might risk buying online but never for varifocals.

Varifocals will always be a compromise, be prepared to pay for the best lenses and the best fitting.
    My recent experience is the polar opposite to this.
    Eye test & prescription from Specsavers... fine
    Chose 2for1 frames & elite varifocal lenses. £200

Measurements taken on some sort of tablet app

Fitting... non existent... limited to "how do they feel, can you read that?"

Bought cheapest GlassesDirect varifocals with MSE code... with tint £59, free pair of distance vision.
    Measurement done with a 'selfie' & credit card.
    Much better, better frames, better [clearer] optics, no distortion.

With varifocals, as well as the PD ideally need the vertical point which affects where transition from distance to near occurs. Really depends how the glasses fit on the face.

Master
    Optician's afaik won't give you the PD. This is to deter you from getting the eye test from them and then ordering online. It's your eyesight, get it done properly and pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Optician's afaik won't give you the PD. This is to deter you from getting the eye test from them and then ordering online. It's your eyesight, get it done properly and pay for it.
    Gave me mine, no problem.

Blog Entries
    hi, just back from specsavers, great service back of eye test and all that, eye distance stuff, two pairs of specks (bi focal) for £150.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With varifocals, as well as the PD ideally need the vertical point which affects where transition from distance to near occurs. Really depends how the glasses fit on the face.
    +1, That's what I was trying to say! This is absolutely crucial, I have a couple of pairs and one pair came from a cheap place that did a poor job, the glasses are OK for distance and driving but no good for close/intermediate, I suspect the vertical point is slightly wrong on one lens.

Another advantage with Specsavers; if you're not happy with the lenses they'll re-make them, that was certainly the case a few years back.

Master
    My last experience with Specsavers was taking my 96 year old mum (on the recommendation of her "friend"!). She was taken to the exam room and I overheard a conversation between the shop manager and the assistant dealing with mum about how many "extras" she should "push" on my mum! ( I was seated around the corner). When mum came downstairs again I told her not to agree to anything other than what she actually wanted (which she did). When her specs were ready, I took her to collect them and she couldn't use them. The assistant told her that she needed to get used to them. Mum kicked up a fuss and the optician was called (after about ten minutes). He checked the lenses and they were not correct! Mum demanded her money back and then went elsewhere! This was our experience and may not be typical!!!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Have bought a number of pairs on the internet and all have been alright. However thought I would buy a pair a couple years ago as they had an offer on and found them to be much better (assuming it’s the PD info I provided).

However a senior relative had a home visit for an eye test resulting in him ordering 2 pairs (1 x distance and 1 x reading). On talking to my relative he paid £375.00.
    The salesman clearly saw an opportunity from a 74 year old man who was recovering from a stroke and took it all for it was worth.
    With this in mind I will certainly be exploring alternative options in the future for online ordering.

B

Master
    Just to clarify, I went with online because the frames (Oliver Peoples) I wanted weren't available locally and I have a very simple prescription. I chose Specsavers because they were the first local optician's who could give me an appointment. The optician at Specsavers was as good and thorough as any I have used at far more expensive independents.