TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV Practicalities?

Master

EV Practicalities?

Oh dear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQQCEQ3gOQM

I'm glad that I decided to wait!

Gave up watching him struggling to defrost the screen - use a credit card FFS. Might previously have had a heated one but what about the side windows?

Defrosted my Tesla this morning in 6 minutes. All via the App when I was indoors so it was ready and toasty by the time I got to the car

My van is always nicely defrosted and warmed up by the time I get to it!

Strange that he can’t unplug the van whilst the vehicle is locked, it’s almost as if they lock it in position so it can’t be tampered with! Odd that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Defrosted my Tesla this morning in 6 minutes. All via the App when I was indoors so it was ready and toasty by the time I got to the car
    Me too. We Pre scheduled for our leaving time daily. One of the best features IMO.

Took the ICE car out the other morning and the screen was iced up and felt such a chore to scrape it down. All those years and it was the norm but now the norm is changing!

Master
    Read the handbook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Read the handbook!!!
    His previous work vehicle was a Tesla Model 3. He will be very, very aware of what the various 'handbooks' say about his various work vehicles.

He is a very savvy EV user. A significant proportion of his income also comes from installing home chargers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Me too. We Pre scheduled for our leaving time daily. One of the best features IMO.

Took the ICE car out the other morning and the screen was iced up and felt such a chore to scrape it down. All those years and it was the norm but now the norm is changing!
    Also available on some ICE cars. Love this, and the heated screen front and rear come on as well.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    It’s a YouTube video designed to entertain and get clicks, not necessarily meant to be taken too seriously.
    That said, the range of the electric T6 is shocking, but he knew that.

Pete

Taken me an hour to get off my drive…..yes because you’re clearly an idiot.

Grand Master
    The guy’s an idiot, stopped watching partway through, his whining voice was annoying me.

If he’d taken the trouble to fully charge the thing, got himself a trusty ice- scraper, and read the instructions properly all would’ve gone smoothly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The guy’s an idiot, stopped watching partway through, his whining voice was annoying me.

If he’d taken the trouble to fully charge the thing, got himself a trusty ice- scraper, and read the instructions properly all would’ve gone smoothly.
    Do people still use those ice scraper things?

Well I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Well I do!

so do I - but I’m old:)

I've got a lovely snow brush/ice scraper a former colleague brought me over from Sweden when my one I bought in Germany in the 90s started to get too chipped to scrape effectively.

Works well, but I wonder why only Fords have heated windscreens, presumably they took out a patent, but it's such a good idea on a frosty morning!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've got a lovely snow brush/ice scraper a former colleague brought me over from Sweden when my one I bought in Germany in the 90s started to get too chipped to scrape effectively.

Works well, but I wonder why only Fords have heated windscreens, presumably they took out a patent, but it's such a good idea on a frosty morning!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    A few other brands have them - I had a Volvo with one and my work colleague has a heated screen on her Kia Stinger.
    They are great, but for a period of about 3 years when we had the Volvo and a Fiesta both with heated screens, we had to call out chip repair companies a number of times - it may be a coincidence but they seemed to pick up stonechips much more easily than a standard screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A few other brands have them - I had a Volvo with one and my work colleague has a heated screen on her Kia Stinger.
    They are great, but for a period of about 3 years when we had the Volvo and a Fiesta both with heated screens, we had to call out chip repair companies a number of times - it may be a coincidence but they seemed to pick up stonechips much more easily than a standard screen.

Ford had a stake in Volvo and Kia at one time, maybe licences to use the screens remain in place.

Master
    The Ford patent ran out some time ago, a VW I owned a few years ago had a heated screen (an e-Golf). I think a few people didn’t like the tiny wires/elements visible in some light conditions, but I think mostly heated screens have been sacrificed on the altar of cost cutting.

I’m guessing this is the video of the hapless electrician struggling with his electric van on a cold morning? That ABT T6 EV van was designed as a last mile delivery vehicle in big cities, but as electric vans go it’s still one of the worst. Slow AC charging, a hobbled DSG box, basically the battery pack from an e-Golf and way too expensive for what it is. I think he picked it up via a cheap lease, they were available for not much cash recently.

A good clickbait video for him, must have earnt a few quid as a result, but fortunately that isn’t typical of Electric vans, never mind Electric cars.

Defrosted my Tesla this morning in 6 minutes.
    Think of all those minutes you'd save with a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Where he lives a garage is more expensive than the Tesla. Plus, he wouldn't save any time since the car defrosts as he takes his breakfast, ready when he is.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Even our old 65 plate i3 has the warm up feature from the app!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Think of the precious energy saved with a scraper and a couple of minutes in the cold? That’s what bothers me about electric cars. If they were really designed with energy saving in mind, surely they’d have manual windows, and have as much weight as practically possible stripped out to increase range?
    Instead you get every gadget known to man, electric powered everything, electric heated everything. Go back a few years and car heaters were optional, now it’s heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheels, tv screens where there used to be dials etc etc. not very hair shirt or eco warrior, your wealthy early adopter will only spend the cash if his or her eco wagon is fitted out with gadgets like a branch of Dixons!
    Ok I’m being deliberately a bit daft, I’m sure a warm steering wheel doesn’t use all that much energy, but currently the cars available seem to compose of mostly luxury cars that happen to be electric, the gadgetry will quickly become obsolete, and I suspect the dealers - unable to fleece us with expensive servicing any more - will charge through the nose for software updates, and keeping all the toys working. Your proper eco cars won’t appear yet because the public expect all the gadgets if they are spending big money - which is surely missing the point isn’t it?

Grand Master
    I think we have to accept that the modern comforts and gadgets in cars are here to stay.

My 11 year old Jag has a heated steering wheel and heated seats, not something I would’ve chosen but once you have them you do appreciate the convenience. If the car is iced up in a morning I start the engine, switch the heated rear window on, switch the heated seats and heated steering wheel in, and switch the climate control onto full heat. I then return indoors and finish my tea whilst the car thaws out and warms up. This wastes fuel, but I don’t care, I place a premium on comfort and convenience. Back in the 70s I ran cars with poor heaters, I’ve spent many mornings scraping ice of windscreens, thesedays I prefer the alternative!

I’ve no intention of buying an electric vehicle anytime soon, but I see the appeal of switching it on and defrosting it without going outside!

Master
    The heated windscreen is up there amongst the best things I’ve ever had on a car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think we have to accept that the modern comforts and gadgets in cars are here to stay.

My 11 year old Jag has a heated steering wheel and heated seats, not something I would’ve chosen but once you have them you do appreciate the convenience. If the car is iced up in a morning I start the engine, switch the heated rear window on, switch the heated seats and heated steering wheel in, and switch the climate control onto full heat. I then return indoors and finish my tea whilst the car thaws out and warms up. This wastes fuel, but I don’t care, I place a premium on comfort and convenience. Back in the 70s I ran cars with poor heaters, I’ve spent many mornings scraping ice of windscreens, thesedays I prefer the alternative!

I’ve no intention of buying an electric vehicle anytime soon, but I see the appeal of switching it on and defrosting it without going outside!
    There are plenty of ICE cars that have that feature. Mine has remote starting and climate with a heated front screen. Unbelievable compared to the cars I had in the 70s when even starting on frosty mornings was a gamble.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    The heated windscreen is up there amongst the best things I’ve ever had on a car!
    I loved my old focus with a heated screen, but now I just put a magnetic £2 plastic screen cover over it, saves all that scraping.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    There are plenty of ICE cars that have that feature. Mine has remote starting and climate with a heated front screen. Unbelievable compared to the cars I had in the 70s when even starting on frosty mornings was a gamble.
    Presumably needs the engine running so only suitable for those with a drive?

Presumably needs the engine running so only suitable for those with a drive?
    No it keeps the car locked so can’t be nicked. My last three ICE cars have had this app feature. Didn’t use it as felt a bit profligate with fuel, which is a bit rich given the cars. Interesting that I don’t feel the same with electric, maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    No it keeps the car locked so can’t be nicked. My last three ICE cars have had this app feature. Didn’t use it as felt a bit profligate with fuel, which is a bit rich given the cars. Interesting that I don’t feel the same with electric, maybe I should.
    Illegal though.

I turned up at Birchanger Services last night to use the Tesla Supercharger, all 4 were used with 6 in the queue.

That's really dented the confidence in being able to use this on longer family journeys. I can't hang around for over an hour before charging with a car full of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I turned up at Birchanger Services last night to use the Tesla Supercharger, all 4 were used with 6 in the queue.

That's really dented the confidence in being able to use this on longer family journeys. I can't hang around for over an hour before charging with a car full of kids.
    TBH very rare that superchargers are so busy and places with only 4 superchargers are the exception not the norm. Over time you'll learn which ones are better for availability etc and route via them. I'm surprised the navigation took you to a full supercharger as usually it will prioritise ones with free spaces.

There is one at Winchester to avoid like the plague (only 2 chargers) and also Scotch Corner. The rest are usually having some spaces.

Blog Entries

To be honest it was precisely that scenario that put me off buying an I-Pace last time. The thought of having to sit somewhere bored witless for an hour or two just doesn't appeal. Surely this will only get much worse as more and more EVs hit the road.

TBH very rare that superchargers are so busy and places with only 4 superchargers are the exception not the norm. Over time you'll learn which ones are better for availability etc and route via them. I'm surprised the navigation took you to a full supercharger as usually it will prioritise ones with free spaces.

There is one at Winchester to avoid like the plague (only 2 chargers) and also Scotch Corner. The rest are usually having some spaces.
    Having to plan my routes to take in possible charging points sounds like a game I wouldn't want to play.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 18th January 2022 at 13:43.

To be honest it was precisely that scenario that put me off buying an I-Pace last time. The thought of having to sit somewhere bored witless for an hour or two just doesn't appeal. Surely this will only get much worse as more and more EVs hit the road.

Having to plan my routes to take in possible charging points sounds like a game I wouldn't want to play.
    Honestly, until last night it was simple. The supercharger fills the car in no time and there's plenty of entertainment while you wait. Abetterroute.com makes the journey planning a doddle.

Queues, that's the problem.

Do people still use those ice scraper things?
    Been throwing very mildly luke warm water over my car for decades and never had any cracks or issues from it at all.

Instant defrosting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Been throwing very mildly luke warm water over my car for decades and never had any cracks or issues from it at all.

Instant defrosting
    Try cold water. I used to use a couple of 2 litre milk cartons to defrost mine years ago. Straight out the tap and worked fine.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, until last night it was simple. The supercharger fills the car in no time and there's plenty of entertainment while you wait. Abetterroute.com makes the journey planning a doddle.

Queues, that's the problem.
    That's what I mean. Having to sit there waiting.

Master

I went to a retail park near us last week about 4.30 pm and drove past 5 Tesla chargers all full as most i see seem to be no matter were they are

Master
    Think of the precious energy saved with a scraper and a couple of minutes in the cold? That’s what bothers me about electric cars. If they were really designed with energy saving in mind, surely they’d have manual windows, and have as much weight as practically possible stripped out to increase range?
    Instead you get every gadget known to man, electric powered everything, electric heated everything. Go back a few years and car heaters were optional, now it’s heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheels, tv screens where there used to be dials etc etc. not very hair shirt or eco warrior, your wealthy early adopter will only spend the cash if his or her eco wagon is fitted out with gadgets like a branch of Dixons!
    Hey, Petrol and Diesel cars have all those gadgets too, why should EVs miss out?! They all take extra energy as well, you just don’t notice it as much carrying the equivalent of a 500kWh+ battery in liquid form around.

EVs are about reducing the impact of private motoring, not removing it entirely. The only way to do that is to have no car at all.

That's what I mean. Having to sit there waiting.
    Very rare in a Tesla. I upgraded to a Tesla from a RR Velar and if you want to tell me about waiting then the fuel queues would like to have a word. As it is I'm sat about to go into Tesco with free fuel being provided to my car as I shop. It isn't fast but where would you be able to do a shop in an ICE car and get 20% of your tank topped up for free

Master
    Scotch Corner isn’t too bad, busy at weekends and in holiday season though, as folks head to the Lakes.

At the actual services there are 2 Gridserve units, they were both in use by Tesla’s last week when I was there, but the 8 x Superchargers across the other side of the roundabout at the hotel were empty.

Seems that having facilities is a bigger draw than the Superchargers sometimes.

Scotch Corner services is earmarked for Gridserve Phase 2 apparently, going to be a dozen or more any EV chargers in the next few months.

Wetherby is about to go live with its Phase 2 charger upgrades as well, 12 Gridserve units live by March and 12 Superchargers due to go in too, along with the 3 Gridserve units already there. Will help take some pressure off scotch corner, as folks can juice up there and be in range of the holiday destinations and miss Scotch Corner entirely.
    Last edited by Tooks; 18th January 2022 at 14:46.

I just find it amusing how car companies are finding energy efficient ways of powering cars, whilst simultaneously creating gadgets - albeit some of them are useful - to waste some of that power saving. We want this stuff but we don’t really need it do we? - sadly things will be very different in our Bladerunner world just around the corner!
    Ps I never leave the car running on my drive with the keys in - if it’s stolen your insurance is void plus it’s illegal isn’t it?

Blog Entries
    Very rare in a Tesla. I upgraded to a Tesla from a RR Velar and if you want to tell me about waiting then the fuel queues would like to have a word. As it is I'm sat about to go into Tesco with free fuel being provided to my car as I shop. It isn't fast but where would you be able to do a shop in an ICE car and get 20% of your tank topped up for free
    Well I haven't sat in a fuel queue for the last 20 years so I really wouldn't know. It would take more than free fuel to get me in Tesco's, but that's a different story. If these things work for you that's great, it's all about choice at the end of the day.

Norton Park is small, but they are opening up a bank of chargers at Tesla Winchester soon so that will help.

Illegal though.
    I was thinking of the practicalities, as I said I would not do anyway. Does the law apply to leaving an EV on too? If so Ryan had better watch out.

I was thinking of the practicalities, as I said I would not do anyway. Does the law apply to leaving an EV on too? If so Ryan had better watch out.
    I don’t think Ryan has mentioned leaving the car on. The pre heating can be done with the car switched off and locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t think Ryan has mentioned leaving the car on. The pre heating can be done with the car switched off and locked up.
    I know, but that’s no different to ice cars too is it not? The EV is still ‘on’, or at least my i3 is. I was only joshing anyway, I am pretty sure the police have better things to do rather than worry about this whether EV or ICE!

Master
    I know, but that’s no different to ice cars too is it not? The EV is still ‘on’, or at least my i3 is. I was only joshing anyway, I am pretty sure the police have better things to do rather than worry about this whether EV or ICE!
    EVs aren’t ‘on’ when heated remotely, just the heating and ventilation system is.

Of course not, no engine running.

Ps I never leave the car running on my drive with the keys in - if it’s stolen your insurance is void plus it’s illegal isn’t it?
    I believe it's legal to leave your car running as long as it's off the highway?
    You're spot on with the insurance though.

Here’s another consideration. Mrs Yumma decided to go EV. So we phoned our energy provider and asked them to install a Charger point, so began the shenanigans, it transpires our detached house has a looped supply; apparently very common for two or more houses in an estate to share an incoming main from the road. Because the added load of a car charger could overload the capacity we would need to be unlooped, thus our neighbour required a new electrical main, now his drive is dug up and two other neighbours also cannot access their drives because that is how far the trench will extend to pick up the Head in the public highway they will connect into. Causing mayhem. It is lucky we have good neighbours. This is something else homeowners and Government have not thought about. Imagine this all around the country, we are lucky we live at the end of the cul de sac. Madness!