closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More practical advice - stainless steel spot weld?

More practical advice - stainless steel spot weld?

A mine of useful information.

What kind of companies would consider doing a single stainless steel spot weld? Man in a van with a welding set? A local garage?

My mother has a Scandi-style candleholder. The weld to the base has failed. I could easily get an original, exact replacement off Ebay or Etsy, but it's sentimental, a gift from her long departed mother who didn't have two pennies to rub together. I'd pay just about anything to get it fixed for her.

Would she recognise a replacement if you just swapped them over?

Blog Entries
    Stainless steel welding is an art. Especially when it has to look good.

When you want it done nicely, try companies that supply s/steel goods for yachts or make s/steel tanks for dairy products etc or work with alloy for classic cars. Perhaps a local artist/ sculpturer who works with s/steel can help you.

Menno

My son is a stainless steel welder and fabricator, if you get really stuck ping me a PM and ill get it sorted for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would she recognise a replacement if you just swapped them over?
    I had thought of that, but I can’t tell lies, very puritan upbringing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    My son is a stainless steel welder and fabricator, if you get really stuck ping me a PM and ill get it sorted for you.
    Very generous, thanks for that, I don’t have it to hand at the moment. I’ll let you know if I get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Stainless steel welding is an art. Especially when it has to look good.

When you want it done nicely, try companies that supply s/steel goods for yachts or make s/steel tanks for dairy products etc or work with alloy for classic cars. Perhaps a local artist/ sculpturer who works with s/steel can help you.

Menno
    I worked in the oil, gas, chemical industries for many years and dealt with fabricators, that’s until Low Cost Country sourcing became the rage and we supposedly became a knowledge and service based economy. Mmmm perhaps that’s politics.

You can’t just get any old bod to weld it. You need the correct stainless steel filler rod/wire or the weld will go rusty

What kind of companies would consider doing a single stainless steel spot weld?
    a good bike frame builder who uses reynolds 953 or Columbus Xcr stainless tubing, it’s thin walled so they are less likely to blow through on something like your candlestick. (they will tig it)

or maybe a jeweller who can silver solder it but i’m not sure how that would look compared to stainless in colour. its very low temp so i doubt it would distort or damage the metal.

Try here. https://www.mig-welding.co.uk

Some clever blokes there.
    Leave a post under the 'Projects' section
    You'll get a solution.

Craftsman
    Glue
    There are some phenomenal products out there

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Glue indeed.
    I've used 2 part epoxy "metal" glues on some tricky projects which are still going strong years later.

Thanks for all of the tips.

When I next see her, I’ll retrieve it and get it sorted somehow.

I did try two-part metal adhesive, but it failed after sometime.

I also bought a replacement from EBay and offered it, but she would like her original fixed up. The weld on the EBay one is almost black. Does this mean it could be brazed rather than welded?

This mid-century Sandi/Danish type stainless steel wear still looks pretty stylish. It goes well with Ercol light elm furniture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk