closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: John Peel: Speedmaster

John Peel: Speedmaster

Seeing as this is tz-UK, I thought some some of you might like to see the legendary DJ rocking a Speedmaster.

(Source: https://omegaforums.net/threads/john...master.132585/ )

For a man who famously played records at the wrong speed, it's as ironic as it is iconic.

I guess the chronograph feature would have been used when listening to records so he could put his show together. Accurate running times and all that. Saves having a separate stopwatch. (There are also BBC "issued" Lemania chronographs, presumably for similar purposes. Sweets of this parish is your go-to man for info about them.)

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.

Well Rev, when I saw this thread I didn't expect you to be the one to start it. Please tell me it isn't to become one of a series.
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 13th January 2022 at 17:06.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Ah! The DJ of my childhood. Many a night sat there, recording his show on my Music Centre. I downloaded his festive 50 playlist from 1981 at Christmas. Classic after classic.

Great photos - there are many iconic speedmaster owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Great photos - there are many iconic speedmaster owners.

Not all of them with Peels reputation, though

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Not all of them with Peels reputation, though

Simon
    Very true!

Great post Rev!

JP was a great man in his space.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Great post Rev!

Buzz Aldrin was a great man in space.

I'll get me coat.

Well, this revelation just goes to further escalate him in my esteem, if that were possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Great post Rev!

Personally I find it rather difficult to see beyond his admissions of sexual assault on underage girls.

Not somebody I would choose to celebrate I’m afraid.

Simon

Personally I find it rather difficult to see beyond his admissions of sexual assault on underage girls.

Simon
    That, I did not know

Simon
    Without making excuses for him, it’s a little more nuanced than simple “predatory paedo”.

There’s the context (girls throwing themselves at “rock stars” in the 1960s; see also Jimmy Page et al.) and Peel’s complicated sexual history (including being raped as a child by another boy.)

Again, not to justify just in mitigation your honour.

Craftsman
    He dated his wife when she was 15 and he was in his 20's ,seems a bit dodgy ,lots of rocks stars of the era had similar tastes and nothing much was said

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    He dated his wife when she was 15 and he was in his 20's ,seems a bit dodgy ,lots of rocks stars of the era had similar tastes and nothing much was said

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app
    In a state where it was legal, though, in contrast to the Prince Andrew situation where he is accused of sex with an 'underage' girl who wouldn't be in the UK.

Again, not defending either, but these things aren't always as clearcut as they're presented.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Without making excuses for him, it’s a little more nuanced than simple “predatory paedo”.

There’s the context (girls throwing themselves at “rock stars” in the 1960s; see also Jimmy Page et al.) and Peel’s complicated sexual history (including being raped as a child by another boy.)

Again, not to justify just in mitigation your honour.
    I think this cohort are best forgotten.

Master
    My wife and her friend had the lead singer from kiss trying to get them back to his hotel room when they were 13 and he was well in to his 40s maybe we should start up a paedo watch thread

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think this cohort are best forgotten.
    "Forgetting" David Bowie, The Stones, John Peel, Led Zeppelin? That might be hard.

Again, I am not defending anyone but my impression is that girls often lied about their ages and we can't always judge the past by the standards of the present.

Being the father of daughters and a man in a position of power and privilege and having just attended a safeguarding course I'm still at something of a loss to know what to think or how to feel about randy rock stars in the 1960s and '70s. :-/

Short of a full-on cancel culture I'm not sure what the answer is but it's not as simple as "forgetting" hugely talented and influential artists, if that were even possible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    "Forgetting" David Bowie, The Stones, John Peel, Led Zeppelin? That might be hard.

Again, I am not defending anyone but my impression is that girls often lied about their ages and we can't always judge the past by the standards of the present.

Being the father of daughters and a man in a position of power and privilege and having just attended a safeguarding course I'm still at something of a loss to know what to think or how to feel about randy rock stars in the 1960s and '70s. :-/

Short of a full-on cancel culture I'm not sure what the answer is but it's not as simple as "forgetting" hugely talented and influential artists, if that were even possible.
    I don’t think this can go anywhere useful in watch talk. I personally don’t have any interest in or respect for Peel.
    Last edited by Montello; 14th January 2022 at 15:09.

He often wore two watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    He often wore two watches.
    I met him in the mid 80s when he bought a Mercedes 190, a Left Hand drive one, from me, or the dealership I was working at and at the time he was commuting to Germany to do radio shows so maybe the 2 watch thing was toi show home and abroad times ??

Strap geek alert:

A higher res pic shows that he took off the 1171 bracelet and put it in a Rowi Fixoflex (underrated and unfashionable but I am big fan -- their time will come again!)

Master
    A higher res pic shows that he took off the 1171 bracelet and put it in a Rowi Fixoflex (underrated and unfashionable but I am big fan -- their time will come again!)
    Have to agree with you there - but lets keep it to ourselves eh?