closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glucosamine HCL + chondroitin

Master

Glucosamine HCL + chondroitin

I've used Healthspan for years however they have succeeded in irritating me so I'm just casting around for other sources.

Any supplier recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Amazon?

Master
    Amazon here

Master
    I also use Amazon for these.

If you have joint issues I’m advised men over 50 often need addition vitamin D. The doctor I see recommends the high dose once a week 20,000IU format.

If you don't feel these supplements are helping your joint/locomotor symptoms, then feel free to stop.
    There is very very little scientific evidence that they help anything.
    If you are happy then obviously there's no issue.

When my patients ask me about them, I usually tell them buying the supplements makes the manufacturers feel better.

Craftsman
    https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/glucos...e-chondroitin/

Have used this company in past and had no problems

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/glucos...e-chondroitin/

Have used this company in past and had no problems
    Me too, they are excellent. I also use VitD and fish oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Me too, they are excellent. I also use VitD and fish oil.
    The Doc in #5 above is correct in his advice.
    Fish oil is a big con as is taking Vitamin D and Omega 3 supplements.
    Most reviews of these supplements are funded by the manufacturers – a case(s) of, "Well they would say that , wouldn't they!!" – because they're trying to sell the stuff to make profits for themselves and their shareholders.
    Consumers opinions are also subject to supplements' placebo effects.
    Fish oil supplement industries' earnings = $30 BILLION / annum.
    Large independent reviews have shown that fish oil and Vitamin D supplements offer no significant benefits for preventing / remedying osteoarthritis, dementia and memory loss.
    However, likely a complete waste of time trying to convince those who swear by their alleged health improvements after taking these supplements.
    A good healthy and natural diet will out-perform any supplements but forget the 'recommended' "5 a day" which is now outmoded.
    Consider a target of THIRTY DIFFERENT plant foods per week ... which is easily achievable by consuming mixed nuts, mixed salad veg, cooked veg., legumes (beans), cocoa, and whole unprocessed cereals including oats and wholegrain rice ... plus coffee (one of THE best sources of soluble fibre), and tea (rich in antioxidant polyphenols). And don't be concerned about 'gas' caused by eating beans ... once your microbiota become used to consuming beans any excess gas symptoms will decline.
    All the foregoing is well documented in Prof. Tim Spector's two best selling books:
    1). "' SPOON FED' - WHY ALMOST EVERYTHING WE"VE BEEN TOLD ABOUT FOOD IS WRONG"
    2) " FOOD FOR LIFE - THE SCIENCE OF EATING WELL"

And bear in mind that many GPs have very old fashioned ideas about nutrition and many of them "studied" (not) the subject at medical school for only a few hours ... so what do they know about nutrition 'in depth' and how can they justify advising their patients ref same?
    Last edited by sundial; 1st January 2023 at 20:20.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries
    I thought cod liver oil had been used for millennia and had a positive effect on joints?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    The Doc in #5 above is correct in his advice.
    Fish oil is a big con as is taking Vitamin D and Omega 3 supplements.
    Most reviews of these supplements are funded by the manufacturers – a case(s) of, "Well they would say that , wouldn't they!!" – because they're trying to sell the stuff to make profits for themselves and their shareholders.
    Consumers opinions are also subject to supplements' placebo effects.
    Fish oil supplement industries' earnings = $30 BILLION / annum.
    Large independent reviews have shown that fish oil supplements offer no significant benefits for preventing / remedying osteoarthritis, dementia and memory loss.
    However, likely a complete waste of time trying to convince those who swear by their alleged health improvements after taking these supplements.
    A good healthy and natural diet will out-perform any supplements but forget the 'recommended' "5 a day" which is now outmoded.
    Consider a target of THIRTY DIFFERENT plant foods per week ... which is easily achievable by consuming mixed nuts, mixed salad veg, cooked veg., legumes (beans), cocoa, and whole unprocessed cereals including oats and wholegrain rice ... plus coffee (one of THE best sources of soluble fibre), and tea (rich in antioxidant polyphenols). And don't be concerned about 'gas' caused by eating beans ... once your microbiota become used to consuming beans any excess gas symptoms will decline.
    All the foregoing is well documented in Prof. Tim Spector's two best selling books:
    1). "' SPOON FED' - WHY ALMOST EVERYTHING WE"VE BEEN TOLD ABOUT FOOD IS WRONG"
    2) " FOOD FOR LIFE - THE SCIENCE OF EATING WELL"
    Respect your view, but it doesn’t work in my case. I can feel the differences with the supplements and mediation I’ve been prescribed (I see an endocrinologist quarterly basis).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I thought cod liver oil had been used for millennia and had a positive effect on joints?
    No. Please consider more research and don't be hoodwinked by the media. Some consumers even believe the 'oil' lubricates the joints!! Nonsense!

In the UK relatively few people (including infants) are suffering from malnutrition and can obtain all their nutrients from a healthy diet. There are limits as to how many vitamins / minerals / nutrients the human body can absorb. Excess amounts are not absorbed and are expelled by the body.
    Last edited by sundial; 1st January 2023 at 20:30.

Vit D supplements are useful in winter and/or if you don't expose your skin to sunshine much. It's needed to put calcium into your bones, amongst other things

I give my kids 10micrograms of it a day from Nov to April.

All other supplements are just bunkum, we eat well enough.

Also bear in mind there is likely more cod liver oil sold than there are cod in the sea. Many supplements are 'manufactured' in a few enormous Chinese factories ... especially vitamins which are in fact chemicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCa33DTHbZw. includes fish oil discussion at 3.23

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Vit D supplements are useful in winter and/or if you don't expose your skin to sunshine much. It's needed to put calcium into your bones, amongst other things

I give my kids 10micrograms of it a day from Nov to April.

All other supplements are just bunkum, we eat well enough.
    Surely more correct to say, a lot of supplements, and supplementing with additional vitamins are bunkem, if (and that’s a bloody big if) you are able to incorporate everything you need to an optimal level with your diet. The average diet in the uk is far less than optimal.

Depending on my diet and training, I’ll take A, have had prescribed B injections, regularly take C, E, and D in winter. So it’s usually easier to take a multivitamin these days - whether or not I need or get any additional benefits from some of the other vitamins in a multivitamin is somewhat irrelevant- I certainly feel the difference when my vitamin B, and D levels are low, and I function better with higher dose vitamin C and E.
    It's just a matter of time...